Knock knock knocking on hikki's door

Knock knock knocking on hikki's door.

What did you think of Welcome to the NHK? Was it funny to you, or really depressing?
Did watching it change your ways, or reinforce them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei2izPLpHc
youtube.com/watch?v=Eht8_rhVMOs
vimeo.com/28627261
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl
reddit.com/r/Animesuggest/comments/2edl9u/anime_where_main_character_is_depressedhas/
tatsuhikotakimoto.com/2016/04/27/misaki-evocation-meditation-english-ver-now-released/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's both honestly, most of it bordering on dark comedy. I was years passed being a NEET when I saw it but I still felt the feels. Would recommend the manga over the anime if not for the music, which is tremendous. I have both soundtracks in regular rotation.

Agreed. It's dark comedy, but some parts just hit too close to home and left me feeling really depressed.
The OST is fucking amazing though, nothing quite like it

Posting my two favourite OSTs
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ei2izPLpHc

youtube.com/watch?v=Eht8_rhVMOs

This series just gives me such a melancholic feeling.

is this you quick key?

Quick key? I've been called that before, but not by you...

Embrace the truth.

How do you know ?

made a lot of sense, as long as someone is giving you money you'll see no reason to work(if you're NEET), but when you suddenly get hungry and noone is giving you money, you'll start working

it's pretty entertaining although some parts are unwatchable (not because they're bad, but because the situations depicted are very cringe-inducing)

The anime never did much for me, but the LN had some impact. It's not a state of mind I relate to very well, as I've never been a NEET, but I loved to immerse myself in the depression of the novel.

The part where Satou goes on a game design course and freaks out about what people think of him and eventually runs away really hurts me. I can relate to it so much, the social pressure, the sperging, the instinct to go right back to your room and lock yourself up, away from other contacts. Christ, this anime.

what I've learned from that anime and from real life is that being NEET is a phase. you will eventually hate having no money, and you will eventually find something you like to do enough to make money.

True, it's why I'm at university now. I still reminisce about the days where I just laid about all day, watching anime, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes, having no aspirations. Life is tougher now, but at least I'm working towards something. But like I said, sometimes I miss having nothing at all going on in my life.

>misaki's never coming

reinforced them

literally the best god damned OSTs ever.
makes me wanna pick up learning guitar again

It really is an amazing OST. Why did you give up on guitar, user? I've been playing off and on for about 10 years now. I don't think I take it seriously enough to be good, but I know enough to jam if I feel like it. It's really rewarding in my opinion, and everyone likes that guy tat knows how to play.

vimeo.com/28627261

I watched this doco today by BBC "Mystery of the Missing Million"

About hikikomori obviously and it made me think of Welcome to the NHK immediately.

I was amazed at some of the lengths some parents go to, mostly mothers, to support and hide their sons shame.

>takes over the kitchen
>showers every six months
>hoarder, doesn't throw away anything he touches
>mooches off his loving parents for two years

I don't understand how and why the parents of these degenerates choose to deal with their bullshit. Why not cut them off/ kick them out.or at the very least force them to go get help.

>cliff ahead

It's been 3 years since I watched it, but I still think about it everyday. I was hoping to have gotten over my depression by this point.

Is there more shit like this anime?
It was a fun ride.

nhk really was a gem. I haven't found anything that was like it

It there any other anime about depression? I am getting really tired of all the moeshit lately.

I want to rest my head on Misaki's thighs and lick them a bit. Maybe rub my dick on them.

gave me feels. but also jealous of the protag bastard.

reminder to all NEETs: if you don't work, then you are broken.

She did not save Satou, you know

I keep a copy of the novel next to my work desk to motivate me to get stuff done. I've never been able to read more than three pages before the fear of becoming Satou overcomes me. Loved the manga though.

Both. More depressing than funny

It was boring because I'm not enough of a loser to self insert as anyone

>Hitori Bocchi
Stop.

The fact that you "self insert" at all completely blows that theory on why you aren't a loser out of the water.

I'll always love this series. Helped me through some dark shit in my life.

Useless whore.

The point was that she didn't save him. That was the subversion. There's tons of shows where the girl does save the main character.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl

it taught me that i what i was feeling all this time was depression

Oh, how did you get rid of it once you realized you had it?

I never went NEET myself before watching NHK, but it did make me realize just how close most people were to becoming full NEETS. If it weren't for the need to survive, I'm sure most people would never leave their houses, and just laze about, slowly isolating themselves into an island, just coasting from one low entertainment high to the next.

i didn't for a long time, until i scared myself into getting therapy. the therapy didn't help much (in retrospect my university had some awful therapists), but SSRIs did for about 4 years.

SSRIs were the first thing prescribed to me, so i was lucky on that front. some people go through many medications to find something that works and the process is taxing and awful but still worth it.

stop reminding me.

There's no getting out of here, we have to go deeper.

>freud
>going deeper

What's the author up to these days?

I heard he regressed back to his old HIkikomori ways and is currently living off of NHK royalties

Working on some NEET projects.

My dream is to become a NEET. Satous life goofing off and making video games sounded like a blast. There is literally nothing wrong with being a NEET if you have the means to financially support yourself.

>the means to financially support yourself
>when Satou was 100% just leeching off of his parents.

If you can convince your parents to let you leech off of them then you deserve it.

There's the Tomoko thing, but its a girl. Very relatable IMO.

Or just look here
reddit.com/r/Animesuggest/comments/2edl9u/anime_where_main_character_is_depressedhas/

Absolutely not senpai, if you have good parents you don't need convincing at all, hence you don't deserve it. And either way, any truly good parent will just force you to get a job at that point.

So, nothing new since the 2005 afterword of Welcome to the NHK?

>

Overrated pity party, I stopped around episode six.

Well I'm pretty sure it's him who made this.

tatsuhikotakimoto.com/2016/04/27/misaki-evocation-meditation-english-ver-now-released/

He runs a super weird website and is still a hikikomori

Enjoy

Post the lewd version.

That already looks lewd to me, user.

dropped episode 2, i couldn't give a shit about a lame story like this one

Cute. It's easier to lose yourself in a media if you can identify with at least some aspect of a character.

With NHK it was just losers and jerks the whole time. While I may be a loser and a jerk, I'm not nearly as bad as those losers or jerks. Certainly not as bad as (You)

It was great. It made me look at my life in retrospect. I watched it when I was 18 fresh out of high school. I didn't know what I wanted to do in life,had no college plans,hardly any friends, my high school grades were nothing to be proud of. I was in a hole for months where life was easy with my parents supporting me,buying me a car and always providing gas money. I hated myself though seeing my friends going to college and being independent adults while I remained a helpless leech of a child. Everyday eventually felt the same and the nights were the worst as it felt as they never ended and as if the day never even happened what with it being so uneventful. I watched NHK during a period of anime binging when I couldn't think of any other anime to watch but remembered it from a cousin who showed me it once as a kid. The longer I watched the more I came to realize how pathetic I was for waiting around as if life was somehow going to magically get better on its own. I think what I most got out of it was that I became more self conscious and it sort of kick started me into getting my life back on track. My current life still isn't much to brag about but I can at least take solace in the fact that I have a job,am attending college,and most importantly can provide for myself and survive out in the world without my parents.

That's the spirit user.

Pretty much the same reaction I had except I haven't turned my life around. It made me realize how bad I've let my life become but I just became more depressed because of that

My life was never that that bad like Satou but this anime made me self reflect a bit. Was always in university so was never a NEET but my parents were paying my way through and the show basically made me appreciate them 100x more

Work your way up from the bottom user. Even if you have to get a shitty minimum wage job,it's still something

That's the lewdest version I have

At least you left your house and are trying to do something with yourself. Good for you user

>parents were paying way through
It's a weird feeling. You can't really talk to anyone about it.

>friends talk about debt
>no idea how to respond

The sheer amount of times they talk about their student loans too my god its suffering.

>date a girl just like misaki
>it goes horribly, like anyone who paid attention to the series would predict
>now I have a harder time opening up to and trusting other people than ever.

That's about where I'm at.

After I first watched NHK I seriously believed I could write my own visual novel / YA novel and take on the world.

I miss being able to have dreams like that. Now I only think about how doing creative things is too ducking hard and there's never time for it any more.

You can always go lewder.

Because Japan is a socially backwards country where your child failing or needing therapy would reflect badly on you as a parent, so it's better to just spend all your money hiding it away from the world.

It's weird. I definitely was not happy being a NEET. I found it absurdly hard to even get out of bed or eat. But I had dreams then. I felt like at any moment I could just spring up and take the world by storm, if I wanted to. Now that I'm actually accomplishing shit and working, all I can see is the tunnel of my dead end job ahead and how difficult it is to actually achieve anything in this world.

Did they ever explain why she obsessively only wore the same miniskirt every day, no matter what the weather was? It wasn't even like a stock cartoon outfit, people on that show changed clothes, she just always wore that skirt.

gotta show the legs

So what you're saying is no matter what your situation is you're unhappy

Cab we go one more layer lewder?

Aw, you poor guys, being carried through college. It must be terrible not knowing how to respond to people who are actually working their ass off to afford an education.

>socially backwards
Yes yes Cleytus the us are the best country in the world

L-lewd!

>Friends

this is the best tip i can give you user: read onani master kurosawa
its a short manga but god is it good.

/fa/shion sense in anime wasn't a thing then.

ever since Hyouka we've taken a quantum leap

this one right here. shame it'll never get animated.

Jesus, right in the feels. This music always gets me sad, but it's so beautiful.

This

If you're thinking of Misaki as some savior and wish she was in your life, you really weren't paying attention to this anime at all

Read the ln and manga back in high school and could only relate to his social anxiety. I didn't take in the work hard enough because I ended up a NEET for 1-2 years trying to achieve multiple dreams that never came to pass. I ended up going to college and started working, and re-read the ln and watched the anime, and I still couldn't relate that much to the characters, even though I understand them completely. I took the whole thing very much like a dark comedy/drama and the lessons that it was trying to preach was something I took for granted back then, but now have just accepted it as a fact of life.

Very good ln/manga/anime, but manga end is the worst of them all.

Don't say that