ITT: Hacks who got lucky

ITT: Hacks who got lucky

Anno's not a hack though.

Your favorite director and/or mangaka

The king of hacks

Oda

I love and hate Anno at the same time
Love him for Evangelion, hate him for Rebuilds, stupid shit milking his franchise like nothing

Biggest hack in the anime industry

I love Sora no Woto but all his other shows are middling to bad.

I'm not a huge fan, but Anno is the opposite of lucky. He got into the industry the hard way.

This is the true hack. He's the Dick Wolf of the anime industry.

The founder of BeeTrain is by far the biggest hack in anime. Thank god people finally figured it out, but the damage was done.

>Created 3 arguably more masterpieces
>Lucky hack
I don't think so.

Shin Godzilla proves that Anno is not a hack

What masterpieces? Every time I tried to watch one of his works, it is full of dozens of empty dialogue episodes and laughable death scenes. Did he make something that didn't follow this pattern?

If you want a series about war where nobody dies perhaps you should stick to A/Z

The only real, unmeme answer

sora no shitwo is easily the worst, you deluded contrarian hipster.

>his creation gundam becomes one of the biggest franchises ever and iconic as fuck

I think thats a major achievement, yeah his other stuff is ass but I'd be happy if one of my creations will live on long after my death.

>yeah his other stuff is ass

/thread

>If you want a series about war where nobody dies
I didn't say this at all. Just Tomino can't do death scenes well. He takes the Game of Thrones attitude when it comes to death scenes. Spend 12 episodes having a character do jack shit. Then make him die in some ultra violent death like falling out of a plane or having a grenade stuffed down his throat while being simultaniously pushed off a cliff. In other words, he thinks the death scene itself is impacting. But since the character got jack shit development beforehand, it just comes off as empty. No matter how much the character screams and blows up.

Something like Utawarerumono, with all its bad animation, still has more impact to a death scene. Because you grow to like the characters outside of the war. When you watch a Tomino show, the characters just feel like bland tools of the story. Just like the mechs they pilot.

and you know it

>worse than Guilty Crown
>worse than Izetta
>worse than Vividred
No.

Also
>liking Sora no Woto
>hipster
Not here.

Just look at this horse-faced fucker with cheap cosplay wig

>you should stick to A/Z
>this guy again

>hipster

You're the only person for a long time i've seen hating on it, dude.

Got lucky with Phantom then with Kikokugai, then with Saya no uta then with Madoka, then withFate/Zero then with Psycho-Pass and finally he got lucky with Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Fucking hack. I bet he'll get lucky again with Godzilla.

Do light novel writers count?
>Achieves second in volume sales after SAO by just copying everything that is popular at the time

>When you watch a Tomino show, the characters just feel like bland tools of the story. Just like the mechs they pilot.
Damn. Finally someone was able to express how I've always felt about Gundam.

Boy and the beast was absolutely atrocious piece of money-grabing shit that tried to pander to widest audience as possible resulting in shallower than your-seasonal-noname-harem characters

This,I can't understand how people like Hosoda's movies

Utawarerumono like 99% of VNs do death scenes to get a reaction out of the player, they play up the sentimentality as much as possible to get the player to bawl their eyes out. It's manipulative, but it works since fags like you exist.

Tomino kills characters because he hates doing S2s and enjoys it for the hell of it.

To be fair, that's how war is. He was aiming for an accurate representation of war, and people don't get some grand character arc on the battlefield. They could just die at any moment. It wouldn't work for most series but it works fine for works like Gundam, especially UC.

Thanks god industry realised that this fuck can't produce anything aside from one mediocre bladerunner ripoff and kicked him out to the dumpster of cinema industry where he now shitting out literally uwe boll-tier live action pieces of crap

Poor bastard wants to work but he has difficulty raising money for his projects.

If anyone's uwe boll tier, that's Uro butcher. Osii is strong willed ojisan desu

>not liking Patlabor

patlabor?
urusei yatsura?
gosenzo-sama banbanzai?
angel's egg?

>thunderflop fantasy
>got lucky
kek

I wonder what Sup Forumsnons agree on who isn't a hack instead of throwing that word on every person they can think of.

It's not a flop if Pili itself said it was a success and they want to do more. They might even do a movie too.

>Utawarerumono is overly sentimental so it sucks
>Tomino just kills characters for shits and giggles so its good

>To be fair, that's how war is.
People in war just randomly cut their friends heads off or push them out of a plane for no reason? Do you have experience in this?

>He was aiming for an accurate representation of war, and people don't get some grand character arc on the battlefield. They could just die at any moment.
But a realistic interpretation of things doesn't always make good entertainment. But even if we took your premise, the majority of deaths in Tomino's works are not realistic by any means. He's most famous for having ridiculous, over the top deaths. If you like it, then that's fine. But please don't try to claim its realistic.

>Thanks god industry realised that this fuck can't produce anything aside from one mediocre bladerunner ripoff

Pretty sure Urusei Yatsura alone has cemented his career. Let alone all the other stuff he did.

A question for the ages senpai.

Took him a few turds but he got lucky with his last turd.

>Utawarerumono is overly sentimental so it sucks
>Tomino just kills characters for shits and giggles so its good

Yes, that's my opinion.
You're free to have your own.

>Gundam is just like real war
I'd laugh at this, except its been said so many times that now its just sad.

Did you even play utawarerumono 1st game? You are the truly the dumbest fuck ever

"I read once in screenwriter 101 how to write a teen drama about distance relationships. It's a shame i haven't read other chapters before i lost the book"
"Oh, Miyazaki-san is old, someone must carry the legacy ^_^. Yeah, i think i've seen one or maybe even two of his films as a kid"

I actually did. You can probably guess what I think of the game.

I tend to really enjoy his shows but that doesn't change the fact he abuses the same few storyboard gimmicks in all of them

Is he actually learned how to write? I don't really care about Kimi no Na wa but I'll watch it anyway when it's out.

He doesnt have anything else.

No one. Japs can't into innovation. They just steal other, more creative people's work an iterate infinitely.

Surprised he wasn't posted yet.

Not a hack by definition. Unless you think Rebuild was commissioned I guess.
Tomino is a hack though.
>make me another toy commercial old man
>yes yes Sunrise-sama!

there is no such thing as original art

Oshii is my unequivocal favorite Tibetan Sand Painting director.

His writing on the other hand is a mixed bag.

There is nothing on the other side of those lifeless eyes other than creative bankruptcy and artistic fraud. We should have listened to Hideaki Tomino when he said that anime was a mistake.

He went from God of Manga to smelly old man out of a lolicon doujinshi.

Tryin' to get stabbed ?

most of those are great though

>When you watch a Tomino show, the characters just feel like bland tools of the story.
100% correct.

This ugly mofo

MP100 is good while OPM is not
whoever he never asked for OPM remake, or popularity so he isn't the one to blame

>Do light novel writers count?
user, all light novel authors are by definition hacks. That's why they write light novels instead of anything actually worthwhile. Mangaka and real novel authors are universally respected in Japan, but LN authors are the butt of everyone's jokes. The only people even lower on the totem pole are VN "authors".

>Hacks who got lucky
Yeah, Anno got lucky with his work on:
Daicon III & IV (1981 and 1983)
Nausicaa (1984)
Gunbuster (1988)
Nadia (1990)
Evangelion (1995)
KareKano (1999)
Shin Godzilla (2016)

What a hack!

he's also a fantastic animator, his work on Nausicaa and Honneamise are brilliant

this nigga looks like he's about to drop the hottest mixtape of 2016

Anno has only directed three original animated works throughout his entire career, all of which are a ripoff of something else. Gunbuster ripped off Ace wo nerae. Nadia ripped off Future Boy Conan. Neon Genesis Evangelion ripped off Ideon. And all of those three works contain tons of references to Yamato, Gundam, and Macross.

Undermining two whole media without so much as a hint of intelligence or god forbid actual arguments. You're ungodly stupid, I really like you.

I also left out Love & Pop and Shiki-Jitsu, which were great live action films by him almost 20 years before Shin Godzilla.

Keep moving those goalposts, gayboy. Anno got to where he is through his skill as a director and an animator. Luck certainly factored into it, but he's not a hack by any means. He's influential for a reason.

>What is Astro Boy
>What is Ideon
He also has a lot of other lesser known stuff thats also mecha too.

Prove me wrong.

>Astro Boy
>Tomino

He wrote the anime adaptation.

Sarcasm, motherfucker; do you speak it?

Literally EVERYONE in the anime industry has immense respect for Anno. I'll take their word over some anonymous neckbeard on the internet.

I was pretty sure that it was irony but we can't never really know

that's one ?

OPM remake is good because of Murata's writing that fixes the shit writing of the original.
MP100 is a flop and shit.

He's also one of those creators who never show their face, who knew.

He is god, your point is invalid.

He showed his back though.

Are you retarded? ONE writes the remake. Murata can't write for shit.

>Literally EVERYONE in the anime industry has immense respect for Anno.
[Source cannot be confirmed]

I've heard more than a few people say they didn't like Eva. Including Tomino.

You're posting it.

You wouldn't be on this board if it weren't for him.

Came here to post this
that wasn't his back

Also everyone knows that Nasu is a 40yo christmas cake, takeuchi is married with hisui for the rest of his life.

Tomino is probably more angry at those fans who have never watched any other Mecha anime other than Eva and then claiming that Eva "Changed the game" and is revolutionary and is so much deeper than everything else. Eva fags just shit on every other mecha anime, which really does create a lot of anger that is redirected towards anno.

If you're saying Ideon isnt Gundam you're delusional.
And adaptations dont count, it's Tezuka who's great.

Same with casuals who watched Meduka as babby's first animu in the genre and claim it's inherently superior to every entry in the magical girl franchise

Counterpoint: someone else would've started it.