Anime Producer Explains Why Second Seasons Don't Happen

Anime Producer Explains Why Second Seasons Don't Happen

goboiano.com/list/5373-anime-producer-explains-why-second-seasons-don%27t-happen

>If a manga is selling by the truckloads, then it has it made! Naturally, people will start expecting a second season. Even if the manga sells, but not a even 1 yen goes back to the anime company → the Blu-ray discs do not sell → there is no way a second season will be made.

>What if you sell a lot of licensed merchandise from the show? Royalties from anime merchandise is just a small percentage of the total revenue. If you sell 10 million yen worth of merchandise, only a few hundred thousand yen will go to the anime company. If you do not sell a lot of merchandise, then it would not be a large sum. In the end, it is tough if the Blu-ray discs do not sell.

>A second season being brought up by a production committee only happens in the best cases. Most committees do not even talk about a second season. They look at the 3rd or 4th Blu-ray volume and calculate if they can minimize their losses. Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...

>Some heavy stuff. It really doesn't matter how popular an anime is, how much critics love it, or how deep the story is. If those Blu-rays don't sell, your fav show will never get anything more than a single season.

We already had this thread yesterday and all the days before.

>implying BD sales matters

So what the fuck DOES matter? The way it was phrased it comes off as if "we're just trying to minimize losses all the time".

>If those Blu-rays don't sell, your fav show will never get anything more than a single season.
Yeah I know that.

M A N D O M

Anime industrys business model is horrible, we already know that.
Lets hope it crashes soon so it can revamp itself.

Anime is a stagnant industry, more news at eleven. What's funny is streamfags thinking you're 'supporting' the industry by paying for simulcasts. Bet most kids nowadays don't remember or even know the roots of crunchyroll.

The manga that the company will sell after the season advertised it enough.

Fuck

Then what about those shows that sell a lot of BDs but don't get a S2 or even an OVA?

I'm looking at you, Maou-sama.

>keep making one season animes that don't sell blu-rays
>instead of just doubling down on good franchises and building an actual fanbase

>1st season sells well
>every following season sells less and less because new animes always sell more

maybe don't make shit anime with predictable second (and usually first) seasons

fujo pandering

I think that we all realize we each of us are already aware that everybody knew that this is common knowledge by now

Then why did SZS get three seasons?

What is advertising?

>charge $100 for two episodes
>complain about low sales

If Anime produces are mainly relying on BD Sales they are doing it horribly wrong

I have never understood why they think this is a good plan.

Because if they sell for 10 bucks you won't get 10 times as much sales.

Don't studios need to pay stations to air their shows on TV, not the other way around in Japan? Also, a major problem is that they're still stuck in a 70s/80s business model for the most part, where they rely on a heavy niche group to pay for their expenses, even though anime is in no way niche anymore.

No I mean selling the series in chunks like that before releasing the full box.

Outside few exceptions like Ghibli, anime is very niche in Japan

>anime is very niche in Japan

I sometimes think most of Sup Forums doesn't realize this. Manga isn't niche but anime is outside of morning/kid shows.

Tl;dr easily summarizes in "hurr durr it's because money duh", it's not rocket science.

>>A second season being brought up by a production committee only happens in the best cases. Most committees do not even talk about a second season. They look at the 3rd or 4th Blu-ray volume and calculate if they can minimize their losses. Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...

>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope, is not strong enough to be a money maker...
Despite the pants on head retarded business decisions that some japanese companies make, this is interesting.

Wherever or whenever you spend your dollaroos is up to you, but if you can buy something and choose not to, its equally pants on head retarded bitching on "s2 when?" threads.

>revenues at all-time high
>increased when disc sales went down

really makes you think

How much western studios are reliant on bd sales?
They all seem to make most of their money before that stage.

Well that's already a thing. I mean, look at all the stuff that gets good time slots.

>Anime industrys business model is horrible, we already know that.
>Lets hope it crashes soon so it can revamp itself.
It WILL happen, just a matter of time. The question is what will come afterwards. That's the scary part.

>internet distribution is dwarfed by pachinko

That exactly how business works user.

1.Minimize loss as much as possible
2.Profit

If anime BDs were a third or less of the ungodly prices they go for here in the west I'd probably own dozens of shows, but I am just not going to pay $50 for 3 episodes.

>I am just not going to pay $50 for 3 episodes.
That's the biggest issue.

No fucking shit they want people to buy blu-rays, if every fan forked over $200 for one season of course a show will be successful. That's a horrible expectation to have though.

>$50 for 3 episodes.
see

I confess I have almost never imported BDs from moonland, most of the BDs I have are localized BDs from Rightstuf or Amazon since they're considerably cheaper. OSTs and mango on the other hand are a different manner.

>the roots of crunchyroll
what

t. piratescum who thinks he is above anyone in life.

Just wallow in your filth. Don't pretend you are anybody in life.

Fuck off crunchy.

Studios make their money off being paid by channel owners (some get cuts of advertisement revenue) or via ticket sales.

Crunchyshit started out as a streaming site where people simply uploaded fansubs.

I thought this was common knowledge

Anime producers are getting more and more rich. The trick is to now spam-create as many anime shows as possible and sell them to streaming companies worldwide for license money.
China is the most hungriest hippo willing to pay the most for it.

Basically anime has to be made for dumb fanatic groups who will actually pay the sort of money companies expect meaning endless waves of the same bland shit that only idiots of the kind that post on Sup Forums would even consider buying as a business model. I didn't really need an executive to explain the obvious and why anime that uses this stupid business model is garbage but thanks I guess.

>water is wet
Gee whiz who would have thought that if BDs don't sell, a second season isn't likely.

All I know is the Western anime audience was less rock stupid and concerned with the trivialities of discussing yuri vs yaoi and who the best girl is before social media and Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll and it's community really did it's part in dumbing all this shit down.

It doesn't and doesn't care cause it's full of retarded shitposters.

I feel like I've read this exact same thread with the same arguments a myriad of times already.

Has everyone become so boring that they repeat the same old shit every month?

Welcome to Sup Forums.
Enjoy your stay.

>The question is what will come afterwards
Can it be worse than what it is right now?

Cause the whole idol concert event business is doing okay, meanwhile traditional sources of revenue for late night anime continue to struggle mightily except for the stuff bolstered by fanatics groups which again is typically idol/LN/VN based anime. I'd argue even the majority of the LN/VN base of support is struggling other than a handful of franchises, most of which have the anime adaptation rights entirely locked up by Aniplex and friends who essentially ARE the late night anime industry at this point with everyone else just fighting for table scraps and not to go bankrupt.

Of course all of this shit should be incredibly obvious and known at this point yet every few weeks like most of what happens on Sup Forums everyone's memory seems to reset and it's back to having the same discussions and comments like there's some earth shattering revelation going on. My theory is that the anime fanbase is just full of pod people now.

>anime is dead guys
>I'm serious this time
>what do you mean revenue is going up while BD sales are going down?

The anime industry is becoming as one dimensional as it's music industry, but considering they're essentially run by the same companies quite literally these days that's hardly surprising. Japanese media culture is just boring now, everyone kind of knows it when looking at the state of the fanbase too but just refuses to admit it.

Yeah concert and pachinko revenues being up makes the late night shows so much more awesome to watch. Clearly there must always be a direct correlation there.

It's because you have and Sup Forums has been cycling through the same bland shitposts for months now. It's like it must always stay just one step ahead of anime in the shit factor. Anime is boring cyclical shit so Sup Forums must be even more so.

Money is objective, taste is subjective.

>oh no anime doesn't pander to me anymore

What if animators made a union to stop the slave wage practise?

Good studios tend to fix errors, which takes time. And I assume they want to release the first volume while the show is still relevant.

Nip otaku do the whole anime watching, joining concerts and gathering in Akihabara to visit the latest otaku-trendy cafe shops and buying cute clothes to socialize with their fellow otaku, play video games that have those anime characters in it as a special collaboration effort, buy merchandise to post it on the social media and so on.
It is its own subculture after all.

Meanwhile, Sup Forumsnons only have each other anonymous shitposts for company while watching anime and getting more jaded.

This nigger is shilling his shitty website. Report and move on.

It's quite ovbios really movies work the exact same but in this case is movie tickets what green lights a second or third movie.

What's worse is that some companies like Konami go the extra mile to be financially retarded, and charge Blu-Ray prices for DVDs of roughly the same quantity of content.

Do Nips even own DVD players anymore?

Of course they do.

This is nichijou all over again.
hey guys, this series is awesome, LOL's everywhere, people love it!!

Eyes of producers/companies shining like mad. "it's popular eh? charge 'em full, made'em pay us through their noses!!"
"I-i-i-i-its not selling sempai!!! fuck'em then, no S2 fucking poor people"

Really, some japanese businessmen are inflexible as fuck on their tunnel-vision views of the japanese market, let alone the global market

>hey guys, this series is awesome, LOL's everywhere, people love it!!
>Eyes of producers/companies shining like mad. "it's popular eh? charge 'em full, made'em pay us through their noses!!"
>"I-i-i-i-its not selling sempai!!! fuck'em then, no S2 fucking poor people"
What the fuck are you saying? You make it sound like some sort of specific scheme to exploit Nichijou's popularity.

>Really, some japanese businessmen are inflexible as fuck on their tunnel-vision views of the japanese market, let alone the global market
Funny how no one ever has any argument for this except "I'm a random Westerner on the internet and I'm sure better at business strategies for the anime market than literally everyone who's made a career out of it."

For reference crunchyshit does not give directly to the studios. They give a small share to the publishers who hold the licenses, which are behind most of the series most anime get made of - the likes of Kadokawa, Pony Canyon etc, who are already swimming in money, as well as the network TV Tokyo. Your crunchyshit bucks do not go into the pockets of Ema-like animators at silver link or dogakobo or whatever studio you fancy, it goes to those peoples' bosses' bosses' boss's pockets.

Original anime do get to keep a lot of money from merchandise sales by the way. Gainax made bank off Eva, Shaft off Madoka etc on top of BD sales. Shaft made bank off the monogataris only because they sell so well in BDs. The risk of doing an original, since you would think everyone should spam originals given they make money off holding their IP, is that a failed original is a money black hole that can sink a studio. Studios get money from contracts for doing series as bids from publishers, they at least have production covered a lot of the time. This is why adaptation contracts are done so often, they are subsidized hence safer. It is how Gonzo managed to keep making seried after series despite producing nonstop flops for years and years, etc.

If they stubbornly stick to the same business plan, while complaining that they never make any money, then you don't have to be a businessman to realize they're morons.

>while complaining that they never make any money
They do make money overall, obviously, that's why the business exists. Many shows don't do well, though, and that's simply how it works - TV anime has never been Hollywood. But the industry overall does better now than before, and there's no indication that the increased prices (which were implemented in the first place precisely because they raised revenue overall) are causing any sort of issues. You're just seeing prices that you wouldn't want to pay for and assuming that that means it's a bad business model.

Crunchyroll did? What the fuck are you on about, all of Sup Forums is basically NGE/LOGH threads, best waifu threads, Your(instert waifu) for the night threads and whatever show is airing right now threads. Nothing but pure shit.

Wrong, stop spreading bullshit.

>waifu as general term for anime girl
>discussing airing shows is bad
>pretending LoGH has anywhere near as many threads as even random battle shounen manga
Found the cancer.

Prove it. Read directly from CR they hsve deals with TV Tokyo and thr publishers. They also absolutely give money covering production costs for contracts unless it is a in house from up the chain, like A-1 or Sunrise.

Guys what if like instead of the normal disc sales model, they make it so you need to play pachinko to get the discs; if you're really lucky you could pay less than current average prices, but if you're NOT, you could end up paying significantly more, and apparently they're all into pachinko so this could actually work?

Shut up, Sup Forums is cancer. Not even sturgeon's law can save this abomination of a board. 99% of all the threads on any given time on Sup Forums are pure garbage. You must have shitty standards to consider anything on here good or insightful.

Sup Forums preferentially talks about new shows because everything else has been talked about a million times beforehand, this isn't really anything new.

If you're aware of somewhere better you're free to leave.

I dont mind those threads, but every other thread but those is garabge though. Might as well be a board for horny 15 year old kids, no difference.

This is Sup Forums, you're here forever.

Stop moving the goal post you damn faggot. Sup Forums is shit period and i will do as i please.

You can't be assed to even check the catalog to see how wrong you are. You are not even cancer, cancer is just an undesirable element that is at least part of the board. You talk clearly like someone from Sup Forums or Sup Forums who has no idea how the board works and only spouts a distorted caricature of it that is dismantled by several minutes of looking through threads with discussion, which is probably like 130-40 threads on the board, instead of cherry pick like 2 bad threads and assert the whole board is exactly that.

I'm not even trying to argue with you here mate. I'm just saying if you don't like it here then why be here?

>read the first sentence
Wrong.

There is no good alternative.

Luckily there is about 1% left that isnt complete trash. So i frequent those threads or the occasional good one with an intereesting premise. Other than that most of this seems to be mindless shit that i talked about when i was in middle school.

Have you tried committing sudoku yet?

I tried r/anime and while they do have better taste than this shithole of a board, the traffic seems to be way slower on non seasonal threads and people are a bit too nice and dishonest there.

>BD sales dont matter, the LN is selling like hotcakes and so is the merchandise
>anime producer comes out and says buy more BD you retards
so which is it?

I'd rather trust someone in the industry than some random guy on Sup Forums who """"had a job in the industry""""

The anime producer. LN/manga selling like hotcakes doesn't mean shit to the company producing the anime since they're not getting a cut of LN/manga profits and like it said merchandise doesn't lead to as much profit as people think it does.

BDs

How many have bought Berserk Blue-Rays?

Everyone knows this. In fact people are so obsessed with the idea that they continually parrot how much Japan reviles and/or ignores anime, how weeaboos get their dreams crushed when they travel there (even though the place is goddamn full of anime related stuff).

Every $100 basically buys 1-2 keyframes, you are basically sponsoring the animation itself rather than just buying a bluray, it's also an extremely niche hobby, so each anime is almost like it's being made specifically for you.

No worries guys. China is their hope, so much money is waiting to be spend on anime through streaming and merch.

>What the fuck are you saying? You make it sound like some sort of specific scheme to exploit Nichijou's popularity.
Nichijou was famous for the outrageous BD prices. This was mentioned across "s2 when?" therads
>Funny how no one ever has any argument for this except "I'm a random Westerner on the internet and I'm sure better at business strategies for the anime market than literally everyone who's made a career out of it."

>implying.
I'm not saying that I know best. I worked for a less than a year for a client that happened to be a japanese company. Everybody in the US offices told me to be extra patient because japanese business decisions, even the basic ones, take at least twice the time compared to that of traditional US companies.

But ok, maybe Nichijou's BD werent so expensive, maybe they had wild sales expectations like those of crapcom or squeenix, and once they could not reach it the problems began.

Wasn't it a trash anime? I haven't watched it yet, I would only purchase blurays of anime I truly love that have lowish sales. If it's an extremely popular anime it doesn't need any more support.

It was trash, so it probably won't sell much. It's still confirmed to get a second season though.

Explain Terraformars.

>Charge $100 USD for a disk that contains 2-3 episodes
>Act surprised when they don't sell

SASUGA NIPS

>so each anime is almost like it's being made specifically for you.
Never thought about it like that before.

the producer literally just said streaming and merch dont matter