Retro/Pre-2000

What oldie are you watching?

Riding bean was good. Should I watch A-ko OVAs or rather the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYfOFUZZX2o
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=651659
youtube.com/watch?v=ffl4HDp-_S4
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ILQ_pvI4AGI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how about both?

DEMON CITY SHINJUKU

Is the best Highlander sequel

But aren't they the same though? I just wonder if there's a version that has more scenes or something. Just a different edit maybe.

Worst of Kawajiri from those I've seen.

The worst of Kawajiri is still better than 99.9% of anime.

look at this dumb ayylmao girl

watching the Dirty Pair OVA for the first time

Not liking it nearly as much as the TV show, but it's still pretty fun

Have you seen Project EDEN? How is it?

>But aren't they the same though?
It's an alternate reality take based off the first OVA. So similar elements but its a different story.

Yeah, I watched it before starting the OVA.

It's pretty great. Color & animation is top notch and the dude that they team up with in the film is surprisingly okay

All A-KOs are are out of print except the first OVA. Discotek needs to step their game up.

Speaking of Riding Bean...

The movie is the first one and the OVAs are the sequels.

wait, so dirty pair: the movie ISN'T project eden???

It is

rec me anime/manga that has a very high amount of high-cut girls.

Are there any other 80s OVAs with the visual style of Megazone 23 Part 1 but don't end up being a complete dumpster fire

Call Me Tonight

Yes. That's kind of a stupid question, just watch any 80s OVA.

oh man that's a good one

also relevant to

There was like 2 other movies that no one cares about.

Nothing else quite compares to Mikimoto's designs.

What is the most 80s anime ever created?

youtube.com/watch?v=YYfOFUZZX2o

>inb4 2deep4u buzzword criticism

Just finished the Urusei Yatsura series, onto the OVAs and final films. Speaking of that, the third OVA was quite good, better than the fourth film I'd say.

I watched Outlanders.

What did Sup Forums think of Lily C.A.T.?

This was a great film.

every 80s sci-fi horror movie put into an anime.

Pretty good.

Holy shit! That's the first anime I ever watched. I haven't seen that in a LONG time.

why is retro Sup Forums art just comfier

Begin your Kunihiko Yuyama starter park with Genmu Senki Leda, Windaria, and Ghoshogun: The Time Stranger. Lament that the man hasn't made anything that powerful in 30 years, biggest waste of raw talent in anime.

Still waiting on my Riding Bean BDs. Damn it, Woodhead.

4 episodes into Captain Tylor. What should I expect beyond his goofy, lazy antics always miraculously saving the day?

Gunsmith Cats BDs when?

Damn I love cheesy bikini armor anime.

Probably Megazone 23? Failing that, Kimagure Orange Road is painfully 80s, has some of the best 80s OPs. Project A-ko, Cyber City OEDO 808, and Burn Up! will also get that juice flowing.

Fuck, these threads always make me angry that some of these anime will probably never see BDs, at least not for a while. I do think Iczer-1 and Dangaioh got there's, so I need to hunt those down.

Literally The Thing crossed with Alien. Totally rips the design and concepts from both. But unlike shitty live-action bootlegs from the 80s that did the same thing, it's still good and has some intelligent ideas. And it still took a dedicated team of animators to put it together because it's pretty well done.

Tylor does remain mostly goofy and irreverent, but he does display plenty of moments of insight and brilliance.
The series does get more serious as the stakes rise later on and has a beautiful climax towards the end.
Don't want to spoil it. But it's just so perfect for the show.
I've often said that Tylor is like "Slayers in Space." It tends to follow the same comedic-to-serious buildup that the first couple of seasons of Slayers would later do.
The comparison to Slayers in doubly apt if you watch the dub, which features most of the principle actors between the shows.

Slayers in Space reminds me that I haven't seen Lost Universe, but all of the posting I've seen for the last decade tells me that there's no rush.

It starts out promising, but I'm sure you're aware the studio burnt down and a lot of the production suffered.
It doesn't help that the CGI for the ships is pretty horribly dated.

Halfway through Tokimeki Tonight and I really like it so far. Ranze is perfect.

Going to start You're Under Arrest tonight as well.

There should be a board for retro Sup Forums stuff.

A place where we can talk about Gundam and Ranma and pic related.

There already is a board where you can talk about Gundam, it's /m/. I do think the idea of an oldschool anime board should be explored, though.

That'd just muster more senseless elitism for a rather vague subset of chinese cartoons and effectively shun retro anime from normal Sup Forums, like some people treat /m/ for. Threads like these are nice once in a while.
Which reminds me, as someone who's been indulging for a year now in Urusei Yatsura and UC Gundam only, how worth it is an AB account? Most of the older anime is either on Nyaa or BakaBT, but sometimes I just go for days looking for torrents that aren't completely dead and it's bothersome

>I want a place to talk about these two that already can and do sustain threads on Sup Forums, and this third one that has an entire board basically dedicated to it
If you're going to promote board-splitting, at least choose examples that don't make you sound retarded.

I have an AB account, but I don't use it often. Any shows you want me to look up for you?

Well if you want to be able to pick releases that aren't Coalgirls and you have any sort of interest in VHS and LD raws then yeah you might want to get an AB account.
Also think of it as insurance for when BBT goes down

oh my god I love Rally so much

I'd love if the manga got a proper, full adaptation.
That rewrites the horrible ending of Burst.

question: who's the most diaperable retro girl?

None you fucking degenerate.

So they're all diaperable, then.

Project Eden is some crazy fun stuff if you like the Lovely Angels. This is coming from someone who has seen every Dirty Pair animation save for Flash.

Sailor Moon R and Robot Carnival. Also watched MD Geist and Death Force a little while back. Long overdue but greatly enjoyed.

Good taste.

But every Megazone is great. I mean, 3 is dodgy, but 1 and 2 are the tits, man.

I'm still watching ranma 1/2. Almost finished with it though. It's pretty good. I've got about 6 episodes left. Akane is best girl.

Bummer they didn't even get married at the end. There were some fairly recent Ranma OVA's that I want to check out. Downloaded but only watched one of them.

Golion.

Found them, user who told me to watch out for them in the 2nd OVA. There was two that I saw.

Anyone else likes collecting scans of laserdisc covers? I feel like I've search the whole internet and can't find anything else for stuff I'm missing.

Watch all of A-ko, even the vs battles. The first one is clearly the best, but they are all enjoyable. B-ko best girl, C-ko a shit. A-ko is fine too.

Sort of. Some of the artwork is really nice. Same stuff with VHS. I've actually been considering grabbing an old CRT for retro vidya and anime, as well as starting a VHS collection. Granted taperot is worrisome. Then again even discs have discrot.

Time does not discriminate.

they're releasing them on in the states soon. gonna check em out.

>those ears

I'm watching Outlaw Star currently. This batch of files is messed up though. It will replay a couple seconds at the end of certain chapters in the files for some reason.

Do not forget City Hunter

it was pretty cool

how is it so far? Been meaning to start but keep putting it off for some reason

Thanks for the answers for A-ko.

You best we watching the best batch out there
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=651659

I don't actively collect them, but I'll always save scans of various media if I come across them.

OP fucking never.

Do we know if the cels have even survived?

No matter how many times I watch Ninja Scroll I always come to the ultimate conclusion that Genma did NOTHING wrong

Prove me wrong

Cels don't matter. It's the telecine film that's all that matters.

I rewatch dragons heaven every now and then. Absolutely amazing art.

More anime needs Moebius art.

I mean it, really.
With how much Japs usually love French stuff, I'm surprised there's nothing more using his art style.

MD Giest is worth watching for the soundtrack alone.

youtube.com/watch?v=ffl4HDp-_S4

>DEMON CITY SHINJUKU
Can confirm

>What is the most 80s anime ever created?
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Finally a context where posting this is appropriate.

where is this from?

do you have them all uploaded somewhere to download?

where proper dvd rips ever uploaded?

It may be fun to make fun of, but Cyber City is legit good. Even dubbed. Especially dubbed.
youtube.com/watch?v=ILQ_pvI4AGI

The dub is objectively better desu

theres a high quality raw on nyaa

>where proper dvd rips ever uploaded?
I keep hearing that they are but then I can never find them. I'm still using the LD rip from Baka.

I don't watch bad looking crap.

It's pretty cool so far. I really like the setting. It has a nice cyber punk feel to it though there is a hint of magic. It's definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something to watch.

Still re-watching Oniisama e and I think it unfair that only Rei dies in the anime when both her and Kaouru die in the manga, from what I hear. Why did she have to die ;_;

>Worst of Kawajiri from those I've seen.
So you haven't seen the Highlander OVA yet, have you?