Is it petty to drop a series if there's no romance at all in it...

Is it petty to drop a series if there's no romance at all in it? Do you have any absolute standards when you're deciding whether or not to watch a certain series?

Animation quality be average and not too many tropes or too much melodrama.

I relish when media forgoes a romance subplot. It's just too damned common.

I get too embarrassed when things get very ecchi so I can't watch that stuff.

I usually drop a series the second it's shown more than one person has a romantic interest in the MC. Sick to death of haremshit and love triangles.

The ONLY thing that would make me instantly drop a series is a gory scene from a show I didn't expect to have one. Only one time has seeing a gory scene NOT made me drop the show, and it's only because it was done in such a hilarious way that it lessened the impact.

Besides that, I always try my absolute best to see a series until the end, no matter how bad it may seem to be.

I do not enjoy and cannot stand watching anime where guys let girls beat them up for absolutely retarded shit. I know it's supposed to be comedy, but it's not amusing to me and just makes me disappointed in the MC for being such a fucking doormat. If the MC gets kicked/punched because he did something like look at a girls chest, walk into his own room and they decided to be naked there for some reason, or when amazingly enough he gets hit just for talking, I'll drop it. I tried to force myself through some series with that shit and I did not enjoy it. As a rule I just avoid any manga/anime with a generic highschool protag in highschool/harem setting.

I'm fine with pretty much anything else if it has some value to it though.

>The ONLY thing that would make me instantly drop a series is a gory scene from a show I didn't expect to have one
This is a pretty stupid reason, do you never watch anything that surprises you?

Not drop but it makes me suspicious where there is no male characters whatsoever in a show for a long period. And by that I don't mean the harem protagonist. I like female characters, but I think male characters provide a balance, otherwise it's clear it was done with the waifu-loving audience in mind, and those shows tend to be bad.

Also the MC having a best friend who does nothing and dissapears a few episodes in is a huge turn off.

>Is it petty to drop a series if there's no romance at all in it?
Petty, no. That's your personal taste. You should strive to understand what that means about your taste and how that sets you apart from the mainstream, but there's no reason to be ashamed of it. Though I hope you didn't drop GuP for no romance, because that show is just excellent.

>Do you have any absolute standards when you're deciding whether or not to watch a certain series?
I don't think I have any hard and fast rules. I very rarely drop shows, however, but I also don't pick up shows I think have a high risk of being terrible. A big part of the reason I watch anime is to experiment and push the boundaries of what I enjoy, so I usually go in looking for those things others might enjoy about a show.

>the MC having a best friend who does nothing and dissapears a few episodes in
I haven't thought about this before, do you have some examples?

Really? I feel like the genre swerve isn't done nearly enough. I love it when a show starts out as innocent SOL and then someone gets horribly murdered. What's with Sup Forumss opposition to gore anyway? You guys aren't still staying away from violence because of a meme about shadow the hedge hog from a decade ago, are you?

The first ep of Gakkou Gurashi is a masterpiece, too bad about the entire rest of the show.

I can't watch stuff that has really bad male leads. Probably why I hate Light Novel shit.

I generally won't start, or will drop a series if it's too heavily reliant on romance for plot and drama. It's just fucking boring to me, it rarely ends well, either it ends fairly predictably, or they self destruct the series trying to do something "different".

Generally I drop a series if it doesn't do at least one thing very well, or one novel thing, and make it obvious about it in the first episode or two. I got little patience for watching the same cliched crap over and over. Kind of a general criteria, but I think you can see what I mean.

I feel you. I really like yuri, but if I see the drama tag I'm out because I know it will be hundreds of chapters about two girls arguing over who's vagina hurts more. And mean while I'm just screaming at them to fuck but it never happens.

OP, you smell like girl and that filename is really suspicious along with your text

Anyway, i don't have much standards, i just want to watch what seems interesting and Sup Forums's usual seasonal show so i watch most anime sometimes
But i haven't watched something with Sup Forums for over a year, since i just want to watch shows in their BDs since that day

Thats just a preference, which I also share and understand. I self-insert to stave off my crippling lonliness. However, anime with romance is either harem shit or heavily cliché and there hasnt really been anything as gripping to me as Spice and wolf was, hell even toradora

Anime generally does romance very poorly, one of the areas it has the worst track record in. It can usually pull off teasing the romance for the entire series and a confession at the end as long as the show is only one or two cours, despite how cliche that is because it's so easy and paint-by-numbers. Kare Kano was great though.

I don't think it's petty, I think it's selective. If you're interested in watching a romance show, then that's what you're interested in.

If you're a fan of horror films, are you petty if you don't want to watch an action flic?

>standards
Literally my only standards are animation and stylistic design. I don't care how good the story is, if the animation and art aren't there I don't care. I have books for stories if that's what I want.

>Is it petty to drop a series if there's no romance at all in it?

Well, if it's a romance series but completely fails at delivering romance

There's no specific quality that makes me drop a series because I'm not a pleb.

>Claims not to have any discerning taste whatsoever
>Also claims to not be a pleb
Your story doesn't check out.

A pleb wouldn't be able to discern a gourmet with common food that cater to lowest common denominator.
Pretentious snob wouldn't accept any food that isn't expensive or made from high-grade quality ingredient regardless of its taste or how it's prepared.
Wide-taste patrician appreciate many things as it is and as its purpose without being judgmental until he experience it by himself.