Why do the Elevens do this weird thing where they take chinese historical figures then completely change their name to...

Why do the Elevens do this weird thing where they take chinese historical figures then completely change their name to some other japanese one? It happens all the time in anime/manga.

Like, they take Cao Cao and change his name to "SoSo". Which obviously does not sound anywhere near the same.

It would be like if someone decided to westernize Oda Nobunaga into "John Cole" or something. Most people aren't dumb enough to do this, they just use the original name. But the elevens insist on renaming every chinese historical figure for some reason.

Why? Are they just butthurt?

Why do the Limeys do this weird thing where they take French historical figures then completely change their name to some other english one? It happens all the time in documentaries/movies.

Like, they take Guillaume and change his name to "William". Which obviously does not sound anywhere near the same.

It would be like if someone tried to Easternize Napoleon Bonaparte to "Na Bo Pa Pu" or something. Most peopel aren't dumb enough to do this, they just use the original name. But the limeys insist on renaming every french historical figure for some reason.

Why? Are they just butthurt?

It's more like using Ulysses instead of Ὀδυσσεύς, or calling Caesar ˈsiːzə instead of ˈkae̯.sar.

It's the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji used in their names. 曹操 is pronounced sousou.
Every language does something like this. Foreign historical or mythological names are made more palatable to a language's tongue.
Herakles->Hercules
How do you pronounced Bach?
Why do you call Deutschland "Germany"?
You can always try actually learning something instead of trying to sound edgy and disaffected on Sup Forums.

>shinichi kudo > jimmy kudo

Wow.

>Guillaume

The spelling and phonetics Wi- [wi] is a characteristic trait of the Northern French dialects, but the pronunciation changed in Norman from [wi] to [vi] in the 12th century (cf. the Norman surnames Villon and Villamaux "little William"), unlike the Central French and Southern Norman that turned the Germanic Wi- into Gui- [gwi] > [gi]. The Modern French spelling is Guillaume.[5] .

>Sup Forums - comparative linguistics

She should have just banged Kan'u right there.

Reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with the Cowgill-Rix reconstruction of PIE verbal morphology and that Hittitologists and Tocharologists need to stop bitching

Even germans pronounce it as "Germany" when speaking in english. Nobody pronounces cao cao as "so so" unless they are elevens.

How is it that the west can say cao cao without changing the spelling AND pronounciation but the elevens cant?

>How is it that the west can say cao cao without changing the spelling AND pronounciation

Bait of this magnitude.

Incredible.

>Napoleon Bonaparte

Why do the French do this? They take Italian historical figures then completely change their name to some French one? It happens all the time in documentaries/movies.

Like they take Napoleone di Buonaparte and change his name to "Napoleon Bonapart". Which obviously does not sound anywhere near the same.

it would be like if someone tried to Francicize Giuseppe Garibaldi to "Jean-Marie Putain" or something. Most people aren't dumb enough to do this, they just use the original name. But the French insist on renaming every Italian historical figure for some reason.

It is considered standard practice for different spoken languages to use their own pronunciations for Chinese characters. Even spoken Chinese has many different languages that pronounce 曹操 in different ways.

(For a more modern example: Hong Kong is a southern Chinese language reading; in "standard" Chinese it is pronounced Xiang Gang.)

Are you going to complain that Chinese pronounce 日本 as Riben instead of Nippon?

>It would be like if someone decided to westernize Oda Nobunaga into "John Cole" or something. Most people aren't dumb enough to do this, they just use the original name.
What is Confucius.

Really wish western media would take the JP pronunciation over the chinese, tbqh. I hate anything 3 kingdom related because I can't never keep up with all the weird ass names for people and places, it's all random chingchong gibberish. JP names though, I have no problem remembering. Chinese is just a shitty language.

>Subs have the Chinese names
>I have no idea what is going on

But it's true user. Obviously they had to convert it to the english alphabet (Cao Cao) but the pronounciation is still the same, so if you ask a chinese speaker who "Cao Cao" is they will know who it is referring to.

Ask a chinese speaker who "SouSou" refers to and unless they are familiar with the weird stuff elevens do, they will not have the slightest clue. Tell them it is "Cao Cao" and they are going to look at you in disbelief.

I cant remember if it's a koihime specific thing, but koihime translated his courtesy name, Mengde, as Karen or something incredibly dumb, which is apparently a danish short form of Katherine. This is literally like translating "Nobunaga" as "John" or something stupid.

They were obviously trying to make the true names more feminine you tard. It wouldn't be fun to fuck a girl with a man's name. It was Karin btw.

Imagine being Chinese.

Haha

The source of the romanised name "Hong Kong" is not known, but it is generally believed to be an early imprecise phonetic rendering of the pronunciation in spoken Cantonese or Hakka 香港, which means "Fragrant Harbour" or "Incense Harbour.[11][12][38]

Sounds like someone tried to romanize it and fucked up.

Confucias was apparently some missionaries's attempt at pronouncing Kongzi and it just stuck because others picked it up and ran with it. I dont think it was an "official" translation per se.

Not sure about "Nippon".

>Not sure about "Nippon".
Japanese pronunciation of 日本

IIRC japanese as a language is considered at least as hard as chinese. I think it says a lot that the koreans actually put in the effort to develop an entirely new language based off chinese and after they did that, literacy rates improved.

>I think it says a lot that the koreans actually put in the effort to develop an entirely new language based off chinese and after they did that, literacy rates improved.
what the fuck am I reading

>the english alphabet
Fucking hell.

butthurt frog detected

I'm not talking about actually learning the language, just about pronouncing names and such. Chinese pronunciation is just barely above tongue clicking languages.

Why do Chinamen pronounce the name 山本 as shang ben when all the people with that name pronounce it ヤマモト?

Are they retarded?

>Why do Chinese people read Chinese characters with Chinese pronunciation

> the west can say cao cao without changing the spelling

It's exactly what the OP is complaining about.

Keep up.

>lol.jpg
Reminder that this guy is an insanely prolific shitposter and that you should sage and report all of his terrible threads.

>Obviously they had to convert it to the English alphabet (Cao Cao) but the pronounciation is still the same

No it's not you fucking inbred. The English way to say Cao Cao (aka cow cow) sounds nothing like 曹操. Just because pin yin exists as a way to help foreigners understand their language doesn't mean you know shit about it. This is like comparing Japanese Katakana loan words to English words.

ナイス -> naisu -> nice

Naisu does not sound like nice and a Japanese person would have no idea what nice meant unless they had been told what the English word sounded like.

China and Japan use the same Kanji but have different meanings and readings. What your stupid brain apparently can't understand is that 曹操 has a different reading in Chinese and Japanese. Since Japanese people are obviously Japanese, they read it as a Japanese person would read it.

cause, chink is such a smug sounding language

And why is it Trajan instead of Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Divi Nervae filius Augustus?

Genghis Khan = Chinggis Khaan

>not being able to pronounce Qixiao Fu Tangqi Xuan
r u dumb

Kishau foo Tankshi shuan? Me no speaki the chinki.

COW COW

The English way to say Cao Cao is Cao Cao.

C pronounced the same as in prinCe.