2000$ brick house

>2000$ brick house

WE WUZ HOMEOWNERS N SHIT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IEOmSN2LRq0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Back in the days when money had real value.

My grandparents built their house in the 50's. They selected the style from a magazine and the house with basement plus 9 acres of land costed them $2,800.
My grandpa told me their mortgage payment was $23 a month and they didn't think they would ever get it payed off.
In the 90's they had energy efficent windows put in and they costed more than the house.

how much was 2k in the time of OP pic (40s,50s ?) adjusted for inflation and living standard? It sounds supper affordable.

It depended on the area. We're from the south and my grandpa grew up on a farm. When he married my grandma, he got a job as a factory wage cuck.
If I remember correctly he started out at around 70 cents an hour and was making $1.25 when he quit to start his own businesses.

>he started out at around 70 cents an hour and was making $1.25 when he quit to start his own businesses.

that proves that houses were far more affortable then. relative to his monthly wage and quality of the house that is.

>mfw my grandpa was telling me how he bought his house for $3000 in the 60s
>its now worth about $1.5m

>tfw even when adjusted for inflation houses were cheap as fuck back then
>I could be owning a house RIGHT NOW if I lived in those times

My grandpa built his house. This floor plan is pretty similar. never knew this was a thing. (buying plans from sears)

and if you were like my grandpa being a fucking chad who travelled the world in the dawn of airtravel at the same time

he lived the fucking dream, but he ended up knocking up a 10/10 hot and crazy lady who is my grandma

redpilled me on borderlinepersonality disorder and how it can be the downfall of a chad

>one bathroom
>bedrooms all adjoining so your parents can hear you banging your gf
No thanks

$5,000 in 1913, which is around when that article is from, is worth $124,577.27 in today's money.

How does that compare to today's prices, amerifriends?

well its not too far off the building costs if you know what are you doing and could ignore modern building code. land is a big cost now depending on the area.

>tfw my neighborhood is full of these houses

lol were they jewing old white people by taking a cut of their business? I dont quite understand what mill order means

>it's free goyim just give me a % of your companys revenue

How do you assess the depreciation of the value of money? Do you base it on CPI or on the expansion of the money supply, or on some other measure?

What about just buying a house. Surely there'd be some pretty similar places in rural areas that'd cost about 100k, right?

Imagine forking over 2000 silver dollars, or 100 $20 gold pieces for it. Even in those terms it is a bargain.

holy shit...

I just used the inflation calculator

Still extremely cheap. 125k won't get you a house unless it's in the deep south or midwest (excluding Colorado)

yea but the house would probably need major renovations.

I would assume 'milling' lumber. Possibly for the flooring, interior trim work, etc.

Residential builder here, you would also have to contend with:
>fewer outlets
>shitty infrastructure if you want internet hookups and not just a single wifi hub at some corner of the house
>less efficient... well, everything
>central HVAC optional
>pre-planned houses were often not super well made
>unergonomic layouts (there was a weird belief for a while that a large number of smaller rooms gave an illusion of size)

The fact is, modern homes are better built with superior internal "bones". The main redeeming feature to old homes is the outer architecture and old growth wood, every other aspect is inferior.

Just got a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath , in suburbia about 5 minutes away from small town downtown for 195k. In Georgia.

It means, "you have to send a portion of your wood to be worked at our mill and not anywhere else"

In other words they're saying, "We will give you the building plans and in return you buy our mill services"

It's quid pro quo not a scam
I know it's a hard thing to imagine these days, with how jewed to fuck our markets and industries are now.

>be me here
>muh job is serus
>don't think that you can build a square box by yourself
>we iz builders
>gimme your shekels

LITERAL low density commieblocks

oh i see youre buying wood seperate.

You can't compare just the house

You have to compare cost of living and income as well. e.g. how much money did they make with a full time 40hr/week job? How much did their groceries cost? Car? Gas? Taxes?

They had more disposable income back then, AND a lot of shit - like houses and education especially - cost less.
Don't be fooled - almsot everything today costs more than it did back then. Part of the reason is that corporations got better at estimating what prices people would grudgingly accept for a product.

Also let's not forget that you get less product than you used to. A normal chocolate bar from 25 years ago would like like a kingsize++ bar today, but cost about the same as the regular tiny fuckbars.

>(excluding Colorado)
AAHHH TRANSPLANTS FUCKING LEAVE REEEEEEEEE

>tfw you realise your grandchildren (if you have children and if they have children) will be saying HOLY FUCK about how we lived today

either their lives will be much worse because globalism will make them all serfs
or their lives will be much better because ???????????????? maybe another world war and they'll be the boomer generation 2.0 who are rich because the rest of the world rebuilds

Yeah you're not wrong. I bought a tube of pringles today and I swear the chips themselves are smaller than they were when I last had them however many years ago

show him wrong go spend a year managing your house being built only for it end up in banks hands because you failed.

cheap wooden anthouse of today costs probably 16k in that time money

>>central HVAC optional

not a necessity in brick houses - better isolation.

>>pre-planned houses were often not super well made

and todays are better? I havent even mentioned long term durabiltiy of "modern" houses

2000 silver dollars are worth over $260,000 as of today

Eyeballing it, its about 1300 sq ft unless i did mental math wrong. Really could be reasonable depending where we are talking. This plan doesnt take building permits or land into account.

You could also buy guns there. It was a legit general store.

Canned houses were all the rage. Ever notice how old development areas look almost all the same?

In a rural area you could either buy a similar house for cheaper (old houses around my area dont retain value terribly well) or just build new for the same cost.

This, with the caveat that it depends on homeowner's care. Houses are expected to be upgraded, maintained, and renovated over time. That often doesnt happen.

Wow, I have never heard anyone sound more retarded. Do you have a blog? Show me how you do it!

Wasn't the employment rate better back then? Better employment options, lower asset prices, and huge inflation in the 70's that took care of loans and mortgages.

I mean I didn't live back then so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems to me like the post-WW2 boom was good tiems

Arson detective in training here, lemme tell you why legacy homes are infinitely better.
Legacy Homes in a fire always fare better than modern homes for a variety of reasons but I'll keep it simple so even this retard in construction can understand.
>Legacy homes are made mostly of wood/brick
>Carpets aren't made completely of plastic
>Hell most of these houses still have asbestos
These materials burn "slower" compared to modern homes. They also don't flare up as easily or as quickly. When a home flares, the smoke itself catches fire and pretty much at that point all is lost. A modern home is practically made of accelerants, such as
>Plastic siding
>Fiberglass insulation
>Pressed wood instead of actual timbers
>Cheap furniture (most likely made of pressed wood too)
This being said, most of these materials let off some pretty nasty chemicals when burned, and give off even bigger flares. I'd take a legacy home over a modern home any day of the week, considering I have a solid 5 minutes more to leave the place in a fire.

so at 1.25 an hour at a (presumably low-skill) factory job he'd need to work 23 / 1.25 = 18.4 hours a month to be able to afford the mortgage payment for a house for him and his family.

sounds fucking great.

compare that to now, say a house has a $1000 monthly mortgage payment, working a low skill wage job at say $10 an hour, 1000/10 = 100, meaning it would take 100 hours of work at a low skill job to pay a $1000 monthly mortgage now.

"cost" not costed.

dude post ww2 if you werent in a country that got bombed to fuck or lost the war, you were at the peak economically

all the spoils, all the jobs, it was crazy

we're reverting to the mean where people are poor and work shit jobs, as was the case before post ww2

Prebuilt huber homes (a distinctly american 50s phenomenon that dominate older suburbs to this day) are legit shitboxes. Yes, modern homes are better made in terms of comfort and even safety, modern American firecodes are extremely strict in many ways. Unfortunately, newer fire-resistant fiberglass materials tend to be more costly, which increases the value.

As for HVAC and brick, yes and no. Older houses, brick included, tend to be noticeably stuffier due to interior wall insulation being ass. Drywall may suck, but old wall sheeting sucks ridiculously more. Geothermal tends to be a massive boon and cost saver. we rarely do homes without Geo now because it helps so much.

You can absolutely DIY a house. But it often takes a lot longer and rarely saves in cost nowadays. I would urge you to diy something simple like a pantry, living room, or change kitchen cabinets before you move on to anything that would involve water/gas/electrical fixtures, if only for experience.

Does that mean ww3 soon?

>the smoke itself catches fire
is this a real thing and if so how?

With MAD i dont see WW3 ever kicking off in the conventional sense

But because the bankers have fucked up the economies and QE has been running like a river for 10 years in EU and US and elsewhere you wont need a war to collapse a country, youll just need good old hyperinflation

My grandpa worked at a fucking factory and bought a house, two cars, supported his wife, and raised three children in a nice Chicago neighborhood. Now here’s me struggling to support myself after an Ivy League education and top tier internships. Thanks for devaluing our currency and flooding the labor pool mr. goldsberg

Still very affordable, silver dollar = 1 ounce in silver today that's ,17 per ounce so that house kit cost 34grand in today's money.
Average income then was 800 a year.

That's like being able to buy a nice house today for 100grand

No one is arguing that oldgrowth is better, but its a lot more costly. Also, most residential places we build today are tile flooring with an emphasis on burning due to extremely strict fire codes, so i may be very biased by location i admit.

>things were cheaper when taxes were lower and the government didn't have an absolute stranglehold on everything in the economy

wow imagine that

> * Land not included
> * Utility connection not included
> * Kitchen not included
> * Furnance heating not included
> * Heating not inclueded
> * Septic tank not included
> * AC not included
> * Insulation not nicluded
> * Garage not included
> * Soundproofing not included (thin-ass walls ootb)
> * Delivery not included

Congrats for buying buying a literal box, you are literally legally not allowed to reside in.

Pay only 8k more to get "The Rest of the fucking house" DLC!

Well when you see fire it's combustible gasses emanating off of an object that has reached the temp needed to combust. Fire isn't actually "on" the object so much as it is "above" it. When plastic fumes have nowhere to go but a burning building, they too will combust, because plastic is made of petroleum products. Here's a link with comparisons between the two homes in a fire.
youtu.be/IEOmSN2LRq0

and better quality too
now it's just drywall stuff that blows over when it gets windy

Devaluing higher education has been utterly atrocious. Trade school is undervalued; I cant go a mile without seeing "WELDERS/HVAC/CNC OPERATORS WANTED"

But no, better get that BA...

>
Not so fast!
Consider that much of you wage gets taxed, and then you pay additional tax on everything you buy. Realistically it would take 150 hours :)

I'm building a steel frames house myself (literally. Only using contractors as required by OKC building code, plumbing, electric, HVAC) and building as I can afford it. It's 2300sqft and I'll still have close to $180,000 in it. Seems like a lot to me. Also on 10 ac that cost 100k, again a lot. Fucking property taxes will be north of 4K and that really pisses me off. Also, I don't make that much, just saved money and have patience, it will probably take two years to complete, one year in.

1913 silver $1 per ounce today $17 per ounce aka 34 grand lol

The funny thing is you can still buy a steel frame home kit for 12-30 grand and it includes the same thing the outside walls that's it

That is something weird that I've noticed. People doing trades over here is completely normal and even encouraged but in America it almost seems like trades "aren't good enough" for people. I really don't get it because tradesmen make an absolute fortune and are always in demand.

make sure not to keep jet fuel laying around

The jobs are in demand, because nobody want's to do them. I am a computer programmer, who was also taught how to operate CNCs and lathe.

There is still better money in programming (and demand too!) for people who are able to code.

That of course does not change the fact these jobs ARE in demand.

Yeah. 2k in 50's USD is 20k in today's USD. Shit adds up.

You should make your land a trailer park.
You can be King of the White Trash in a house like that.

just seems fair tb h

Yep. Oh the 70s were a fantastic time too with this shit.

>gas is more efficient, ree
>General Electric and other appliance companies see that gas prices are rising across the board in energy crises
>hmm how do we get that sweet $$$
>i know, lets sell our electric appliances at deeply discounted rates

In the end they sold horribly less efficient electric heaters and appliances for a song and perfectly exploited the crises of the era. Many companies attempted this during the high-gas prices of the mid-late 2000s with less success though since natural gas wasnt terribly affected across the board, and even went down.

A Sears home is worth money

fugg

>dude post ww2 if you werent in a country that got bombed to fuck or lost the war, you were at the peak economically
>all the spoils, all the jobs, it was crazy
Damn I'm a little jelly. I guess we gotta bomb Australia out of jealousy in WW3

It might. At least political unrest is rising fast

As easy as it would be to blame da joos, economic cycles have always been a reality. We're at the end of a long-term debt cycle

Ha! It does look shitty at the moment. It'll look better once the porches and rock work is complete. I hope.

No, trades aren't as good as tradesfags make them out to be.

A lot of places have a surplus of trades workers, and you end up struggling to get anywhere without an apprenticeship/someone to take you under their wing. Trades, like many other industries are practically a "you have to know someone to get in" job.

And the on top of that:
The pay is not as good as tradesfags say it is
You have to deal with mass immigration bringing in more competition for jobs
You have to worry about whether or not your shit gets automated into non-existence in the next 10 years

Trades is a viable in the sense that you can probably get a job, but it is not going to make you particularly wealthy unless you luck out on contacts or live in a good area.

Rule of thumb is this: The smarter and more creative you have to be to get the job, the more likely that job is going to be secure for you into the future. Some trade jobs satisfy the smart/creative thing, others - like painting houses or doing spray-on ceilings - do not.

stop lying user
chads weren't invented back then

In Yourop where I'm from, they've caught up quickly.

Every house has to have heating to get zoned.
Electric heating as primary means of heating has been banned since 60s

Over here in Australia apartments don't even come with heating.
And in US, electric heating everywhere.

I guess you Americunts are rich.

Old fella looked like a cross between Connery and Clooney, 6'3 Aussie travelling europe america asia working for GE

I no doubt have some cousins somewhere ill never meet and who dont know who their grandfather is

the materials cost 2k, construction costs were 3k for the house. still, 5k probably 70s year

In America people are encouraged to go to college, no questions asked. Trades are just ignored. What you get though is people who go deeply in debt to get a 4 year degree or drop out. A master plumber in the US can make high 5-figure or very low 6-figure income, same with electricians IF they are independent contractors who manage their own business. But a lot of people would prefer to not have to deal with the red tape of getting permits and certifications for trade work, even though (in my wifes experience as an MD) theres even more red tape at the upper education level.

But i guess theres no escaping the unstoppable bureaucrat juggernaut

> Rule of thumb is this: The smarter and more creative you have to be to get the job

I agree with this, but not with the rest.

The thing is, GOOD tradespeople earn a lot of money. Established folk with good reputation charge premium, and find clients based on recommendation. A lot of them don't even advertise publicly.

Only beginning, immigrant and shitty tradesmen join bigger companies the general populace deals with.

Bottom line, if you don't have two brain cells to rub together, but have two left hands and plenty of weed to smoke on the job, you're be poor doing any job.

this is what happens when you let a government centrally plan your economy. the federal reserve wasn't meant to improve quality of life, work hours, or any of that bunk.
it was created to subvert and destroy white households a hundred years after it was established.

Its a cost issue. Electric appliances are generally cheaper up front, but have higher long-term costs. Most new houses we build are natural gas for oven/laundry/water, and geo/natural gas combo for heating/cooling. But geo needs a decent amount of space to run the line horizontally, so in Europe where (I hear) property itself is much more expensive that probably offsets a lot of the gain.

What was the cultural shift in the 80s? The invention of the credit card? People just began accepting debt like it meant nothing?

Resistant electric heating was popular in the late 50s- early 70s due to the belief that nuclear power would make electricity free

Banks began loaning at a feverish pace, along with a rise in consumerism and the degradation of the middle class. 40k used to be middle class and reasonable for a household. Now its just scraping by.

the quiet rise of the Personal Computer for home and business.

As a canadian in a large city, I live in a 500sq ft condo and it cost me $225k. Monthly fee is 275, but renting parking spot to someone else for 200. Price is a little steep but I get electricity and water for $75 a month.

There are some poor suckers across the street who paid 220k for their 470sq ft unit amd the monthly fee is $450. I am laffin.

Makes sense. The houses in Europe have historically been built more to last "forever". Certainly a generation or two. It was expected your kids will live in it some day. Plus, energies (including fuels) are expensive as fuck. So there is emphasis on durability and efficiency.

I have a feeling houses in US are build more as single generation ones, before they require significant reconstruction. You're kids will leave when they're done with high school, and move to live elsewhere. But I could be wrong.

Also, wooden houses have always been seen as poor people's housing, so people don't build them much. Because of this they are not as cheap as in US.

Last time I checked, you could build wooden US house for 1/3 of the cost of brick EU one (adjusted for buying power, where necessary), but wooden house in EU will cost 2/3 of the cost of brick one.

Pretty weird how culture impacts housing.

You'd have to give your wood to them for them to mill it into timber frames/flooring. This way they were competing with lumber mills that would get their lumber from out of state.

Its also worth noting, a lot of poorer people just rent now, not buy or build, and that trend has grown over the last decade especially.

I see. Didn't know that.

When I was in US, all my apartments (no more than a decade old) had electric heating. I literally never saw that before. So I don't think that's the only reason.

Dammit, this:
Was for you:

>tfw home prices are too high and I can't get one
what do?

remember the things people have to pay for now, most people need a car to get to work and all the insurance/taxes we get jewed out of that they didn't have in those days.

Makes sense if you move around a lot. Not so much if you settle down.

>help me Sup Forums i'm too dumb to game the system and make more money

brainlet

We (the US) was also building dams everywhere for cheap, sustainable hydro power. But then the US got green fever, stopped building new dams, and started tearing down existing ones.

TVA is still the greenest power provider in the us, being 1/3 hydro, 1/3 nuclear, and 1/3 coal and natural gas. But the rest of the country is pretty fucked up these days.

Eureka!

And because mass immigration, a new paradigm, has coincided with this increase of Income:Home prices, when people opt-out and rent it doesn't put downward pressure on housing prices anymore. The immigrant comes in and either sustains or increases the housing price.

So instead of a natural reduction in prices when people refuse to buy, we import more people who are willing to buy (we preference rich skilled migrants) and the price continues to rise with the greater fool taking on more debt to keep up with the jones'.

It's all making sense...

regarding landscape, i would say to you to create a small park but then i read
>okc
lots of tornados, am i right? probably not a good a idea to plant big trees

Nah, houses are built to last 50 years here minimum. Legally, they have to meet a certain standard. The thing is I think we just move a lot more. The houses get built... then people move/build a bigger one when their home appreciates in value, letting them afford a bigger house.

Imagine taking out a $6 loan and buying a pokemon card for $5, but in 8 years it appreciates to $8 dollars. So you sell it for $8 and take out a new loan for a $10 card. And then when the $10 card appreciates to $12 you sell it, and use the $12 to finance a new $14 card.

Rinse and repeat, replace pokemon card with newer, bigger houses. The debt may not ever really go away, it may take you decades to make it all go away. During the peak bubble, this process happened fast. Instead of 8 years, imagine your house doubling in value in literally 8 months. Thats how crazy it got, obviously unsustainably.

I don't desire money tho

Note, 50 years isnt a legal thing, thats just about how long you can expect your house to last with minimal maintenance (ie, repairing a broken window, fixing obvious holes in the wall or water line damage) without an overhaul. If it gets tornado'd, thats a different issue.

House in NA used to cost 5-7 times annual wages.
Now it's more like 20.

>US house for 1/3 of the cost of brick EU one (adjusted for buying power, where necessary), but wooden house in EU will cost 2/3 of the cost of brick
US maybe
in Yurop, wood house is 30-40% MORE than brick now. Better efficiency, lack of trees.

Good for you pal. Shame you're getting jew'd though. desu I wouldn't know what to do with 2300sqft