Name one thing Oberstein did wrong

name one thing Oberstein did wrong

tip: you can't

forcing Reinhard to strip Kircheis of his gun effectively leading to his death

Kircheis has never amounted to anything in his life

>forcing
He made a suggestion. It was Reinhard's choice to go along with it.

Kircheis died for our sins.

100% justified

He got blown up

Either was on purpose or was a misjudgment.
We'll never know.

I was surprised to discover that the part where Oberstein lies to Reinhard in order to make sure the nukes go off doesn't exist in the novels. Reinhard just agrees to the plan after waffling about it for a bit.

He didn't marry me

How did you enjoy the novels? I'm working through the first one and liking it quite a bit.

>(((Stein)))

Oy vey

I'm liking them too. It's neat seeing what left out or expanded on in the anime. There are a lot of interesting little setting and character details in the books that I really appreciate.

It's making me hate the government of the FPA even more, which is impressive.

This isn't necessarily in defense of Oberstein, but Kircheis's death had a profoundly positive impact on the course of events that happened directly after his death. If Kircheis had survived on the other hand, there were elements hinting at future inter-camp bloodshed that otherwise could not have been avoided with his death. Since that sort of event was avoided, Kirchies's death preserved an image of himself and that drove Reinhard in the direction he did.

If only Kircheis were alive...

without his death*

I don't think the benefits of Kircheis' death outweigh what could have been. Wasn't Kircheis the only one who could beat Yang?

I agree, Kircheis' death was far more valuable than his life as a strong commander on the battlefield.

Revive secret police. Why did he do that?

.. and with Lang. Why the fuck did he choose Lang.

This (specifically putting Lang in charge again) is the biggest mistake Oberstein ever made imo.

Well, if Yang and the FPA were just outright defeated right away, then Julian would've never been able to negotiate with Reinhard about incorporating democracy into his empire.

As we all know from the series and in real life, having the Empire continue without that would result in its downfall in the not too distant future.

The question should be: would he want to beat Yang? Reinhard and Kircheis were not synchronizing well with one another (if they ever did) by the time of Westerland. Kircheis was a living paradox to Reinhard. You cannot have an absolute ruler of the Universe while simultaneously having an equal counterpart who shares half of the Universe. Oberstein knew this too, so even if Kircheis had survived, Oberstein would have undoubtedly tried to set him up.

Serious intercamp bloodshed was brewing and Kircheis's death prevented that.

So I know he suggested letting Westerland get nuked and filming it for political gain but couldn't they have filmed them preventing the attack instead and broadcasting that for the same benefit without Westerland getting slaughtered?

Oberstein only thinks in terms of whats the most human damage and misery he could cause

Hes a sociopath.

No, he's plan was to show every citizen how terrible the nobles are. Stoping the slaughering doesn't convey that.

For propaganda purposes, millions of civilians being wiped out is a lot more impactful than soldiers killing other soldiers.

I thought that the ending seemed pretty rushed and thoughtless in the anime, is it significantly different in the novels?

Sorry, I can't tell you much. I've only read the translated novels plus a few random untranslated scenes. It'll be a while before the last volume's available in English (if they get there at all). I doubt things are much different, though.

Other anons have already stated why Westerland had to be nuked, but I have to disagree with you in saying that Oberstein is evil.

Oberstein's main priority is to have Reinhard's empire flourish, and he is very loyal in that regard. You can see in the episode where Kirchies dies that he was willing to jump in front of the bullet. This isn't a selfish or evil act at all.

Oberstein is a very Machiavellian character, but he truly cares for Reinhard and his empire.

Yeah, you're right. If Kircheis hadn't been Reinhard's best friend though, him living would have been better, so he could be the angel on Reinhard's shoulder to Oberstein's devil. Obviously with their relationship, that wouldn't really be possible.

Westerland only had like 2 million? More lives would have been lost if they fought a battle there and even then the public may not have sided with Reinhardt so completely

he don't le value individual human life :^)

Yang Wen Li have a word to say to him

That's one of the points the series addresses, I think, how it seems that the value of a human life is very dependent on the situation.

Post the one where he does the funny dance.

>angel on Reinhard's shoulder to Oberstein's devil

this is the key right here

reinhard would have never gone full retard so much if kircheis had not died AND he would have been able to give half the universe to kircheis ANNNNNND marry off his sister to kircheis thus making him a god king by marriage

instead second best boy oscartraitor got his ass played by the god damn terrarists - something that would have never happened to kircheis in the first place

He was mean to Bittenfield.

(((Oberstein)))

20 million dying in a single fleet battle didn't really seem to phase many people, humanity just accepted this was war now.

>Implying the retard didn't deserve it

Childhood if idolising Bittenfield. Adulthood is realising Oberstein made more sense.

Jesus Christ you sound like some attention whore at fb

>going on f*cebook

As was expected.

Stein is germanic you fucking nitwit, same with Berg. This meme needs to fucking die.