Yuri!!! on Ice

This is what Mitsurou Kubo regards as "making music with their body" and therefore inspired her to create Yuuri. youtube.com/watch?v=94-ShEi3EUk

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MichaelOlympian/status/797469623423762432
youtube.com/watch?v=atkRoGLJ6ow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love how delicate the rendition of Ode To Joy is in that piece. Such a nostalgic song.

"A pig that can't fly A bewildered pelican An inexperienced rabbit A black car"

I don't know about his body making music but that's definitely where the best ass comes from.

i want to eat that ass

Get in line.

Javier is more entertaining to watch.
If Yuuri is the pig then who's the rabbit?

Does anyone wish YoI would sometimes opt for more stylistic interpretations of its routines instead of every performance relying on realistic camera angles with occasional close-ups?

I had been wanting an ice skating anime ever since realizing how beautiful skating could be animated in the penultimate episode of Death Parade, so I was hoping the performances to contain more metaphor and artistic elements.

I'm not asking for slow motion shots and dramatic symbolism every other minute, but after watching so many shoddily-animated performances back to back in episode 6 I'm really starting to feel like there are a lot of missed opportunities where they could sacrifice realism for more interesting and meaningful cuts. All of the meaning we get from different skaters' performances is almost strictly through internal monologues or the comments of other characters and it's becoming very tell-not-show.

It's insanely difficult to animate. The uninspired angles in the last episode weren't on purpose, it's simply not possible for a low budget TV animation with so many routines to animate everything as they did with first episode Victor. Every episode has at least one different routine animated even if it's an old choreography. Episode 6 was on life support if the direct CG tracing is any clue, I expect it to be redone for the BDs.

>watching YoI for the skating

It's homolust with skating as window dressing. I admit I was hopeful after Victor's program in episode 1, but everything after that has been trash. Fairy's Agape performance could've been decent atleast, but it was so horribly animated.

Honestly, after a while the performances in YoI became boring. It's always the same movements and such. Also not enough characters just being characters for the last couple of episodes.
Too much recycled animation and such.

Yuuri is going cut off Victor's foot.

It doesn't matter. MAPPA just didn't have the budget or time to do high end animation. Personally, I do think that the bitching on the skating animation is overboard. The animation isn't like the 'Stay By My Side' sure, but it's not all out-on-out terrible. Yuriofags need to stop being salty about the Agape animation too.

Only thing I don't like about the skating scene is the annoying panning of the ice rink, it can be a little disorienting at times.

I'm aware that gorgeous skating is difficult and expensive, which is kinda what I was getting at; that they could have cut some of the wonky long-shot footage in favor of something else. It may be a tv animation, but MAPPA's put out some gorgeous animation direction in the past.

Like said, watching similar routines back to back gets boring if they don't have the time and budget to make every character's personality shine.

>YoI having low budget
People still excuse the poor animation with this shit? Lurk in stalker threads more.

Not everyone is a shiteater like you user.

Honestly, it's all about direction. The shots are too samey. Even with the current level of animation, they could have done more interesting shots and effects. It's all in the art direction.

>Yuriofags need to stop being salty about the Agape animation too.
Of all the complaints this is the most curious because Agape is the routine with the second best animation of them all.

It's literally the same few people samefagging every thread to defend the bad animation. As if any amount of excuses is suddenly going to make the animation not shit.

What the fuck projected DVD sales that comes after the series is done has to do with budget constraints?

I would call you a troll, but I've seen enough of your posts to know that you are just legitimately this autistic.

Or people who actually had idea of how animation works? Ice skating isn't easy to animate without a huge budget.

>I expect it to be redone for the BDs.
I'm really hoping the BDs look better but I'm not getting my hopes up. If a studio knows that the series is going to sell like hotcakes without editing they probably wouldn't bother if they don't have the time to do it, and in MAPPA's case the second Bahamut anime is coming up.

It doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, it looks like shit. Saying "oh well it's hard to animate so it could be worse" doesn't make it look any better.

The best they could do is give you tons of good-looking stills like I.G does and then you would be complaining about Stills on Ice. I understand what you're saying about the repetitiveness of the choreographies but drawing different angles of the footage they have is exactly what they don't have people for. Anyone can look at a video and do a copy of it with those angles, coming up with a different angle takes talent they don't have. They're already struggling with the simple direct copy.

>Sup Forums is a single person
Not only are you paranoid, you didn't offer anything to this discussion. Congratulations on your reply.

I think I'd be fine with nice looking stills, but either way it's just a shame that the ice skating animation gets shafted over the fanservice scenes.

I have to say the bait was laid well this time, made me reply.

>Anyone can look at a video and do a copy of it with those angles, coming up with a different angle takes talent they don't have
They are already using 3D animation to make the choreography anyway. They should just make the routine in 3D and then change the camera angles in creative ways.

They are doing their best under the circumstances. Stop acting like having more money (which means more staff and outsourcing anime) doesn't make a difference. If it was Sunrise animating, then your critique is valid, but YOI is MAPPA's first actual hit and it's a small studio. We already know that the animators are beyond taxed and that they wish they can do more, which I do have faith they will fix a lot of stuff in the BDs.

Yea, I believe you defender-chan.

>didn't offer anything to the discussion

Neither did you. Typing a paragraph doesn't make your post any more valid, especially when you say the same thing every thread and try to staunch any actual discussion about the animation. You're just mad people are critiquing it, you're not trying to discuss anything. Shitting on ideas people have about how the animation could be better isn't discussion, it's you being an overly-defensive retard.

Yuuri getting jealous about Victor being friendly with someone else and flipping his Eros/possesive switch to make it clear that Victor is his, when?

I need more of that shit.

yes homo

Don't forget to report.

Their best still looks like shit, so it doesn't matter. You can give them points for trying, but don't pretend the animation is anywhere near good.

It's pretty clear they can do an okay job if they only have a few skaters to work with, but with the amount of routines they have to do, there is no way all of them can be done equally, hence we get some shitty ones.

Maybe next episode. Victor's measures could be acting friendly with Swiss to make Yuuri pick himself back up.

Are you seriously saying that the 'Stay By My Side' looks like shit.

Troll harder.

I'm sure most people know that. It's the usual guy trying to derail the thread.

Victor's program is the only one that looks good.

Then you have to have animators work on those routines which can end up taking much longer than the simple wide shots. Multiplying that times 5 other skaters, it just isn't doable for a studio that was already having issues when they just had to work with Yuri or Viktor or Yurio.

And action scenes are easy? You can't ignore the fact that this "ice skating is difficult to anime!!!" reasoning can be given the benefit of the doubt because YoI is literally the first anime that has figure skating as its focus. MAPPA could definitely do better than this and I'm telling you it's not the budget, take Bahamut for example. It could be the unwillingness of the animators or lack of motivation, who knows. They're contented with half-assed animating since people still watch the show and take the bait because the industry is thirsty for this kind of show.

Nah, it wouldn't work.

Man, Tuesday can't come fast enough.

I don't want to see this guy ever again in my life

Guide to posting in YoI threads:

>people post something you don't like
>call samefag until the thread dies
>rinse and repeat

You will have to see him at least one more time and it's going to surpass the previous one.

I don't want to see you post on Sup Forums ever again.

Why do you like my suffering, user?
Why do you like my feelings of despair?

He's such a power bottom

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm even warning you to turn the volume off the next time he skates.

Bahamut has a higher budget. Not all anime get the same amount. Obviously, if you were following the responses of the staff, they didn't expect this type of response that it got which makes me think that they only expected to have a moderate success at best. The staff is severely understaffed and they are probably barely getting out the episodes as they can without a production halt.

Besides, I rather wait for the BDs to really critique the animation anyways because the Japanese anime industry has some pretty fucked up schedules, especially compared to America where the season of an animation series is usually done or near completion by the time airs, but they do get at least 5-10x the budget.

but ice skating is super speshul difficult and we KNOW for sure that it's harder to animate! Trust me, I'm an ice-skating animation expert! because the industry has so many examples to go off of!

>The best they could do is give you tons of good-looking stills like I.G does and then you would be complaining about Stills on Ice.
And if they chose to just skip routines entirely, people would bitch that it's just yaoi masquerading as a sports anime that doesn't have enough skating.

The animation isn't even that awful. The character proportions/faces etc look bad because they aren't able to polish each frame, but we aren't getting the stills and panning that often occur when a studio lacks the time/money for great animation. The worst I've seen is the lazy, blurry spins for Phichit.

>Inb4 Swiss NTRs Viktuuri

>it's just yaoi masquerading as a sports anime that doesn't have enough skating

It is though. The skating that is present is horrible, so it hardly counts.

>hating on Alpha Based Swiss
Feeling up perfect juicy asses and leaking all over the ice. Living the dream.

Outsider alert

>And if they chose to just skip routines entirely, people would bitch that it's just yaoi masquerading as a sports anime that doesn't have enough skating.
But that's what it is.
They should skip some routines and show them when they are only necessary. I'm personally watching the show for the characters, not the skating. I thought the skating was meant to be a means to an end, as in a form to express emotions. Instead I got a sports anime that happens to be very gay.
tl;dr: I'm here for the drama, not the sports

>It could be the unwillingness of the animators or lack of motivation, who knows
The animators have been openly venting their frustration on social media about the lack of time to animate as well as they could. One guy said it compares to animating the last few episodes of Eva.

I'm sick of this 'budget doesn't matter!' meme. Just because a great animator can do good work on a small budget and a bad animator can do shit work with a big budget doesn't change the fact that there are limitations when you can't afford as much staff as you need to keep up with the schedule, letalone talented staff.

He had potential but Kubo destroyed him.

It really isn't. To the amount of animation they're putting out it's not even bad. The only thing I would change is the angles in routines that we see a lot because people eventually start noticing it's always the same ones. That being said, don't to fall too hard for the guy trying to bait you with this argument. He won't let it go if you keep replying to him.

>implying he didn't exceed expectations

>openly venting their frustration on social media

So they are not only incompetent, but unprofessional as well.

>acting this retarded

They're saying they're disappointed because they care about the work, not shitting on the company or anyone involved.

No one said they were shitting on the company. Publicly whining about how you don't have enough time to animate something well is unprofessional.

Don't reply to bait.

Stay Close To Me makes me feel oddly emotional. Since we know it comes back in the end, what if it closes the series with Yuuri and Victor skating together? The song begins to play post-credits as Victor is poised to perform for Yuuri and Yuuri joins in to play off his movements and their skating complements one another. There's no dialogue and they skate the entire song together, with dips and fleeting touches, and it ends with a final gaze into each other eyes. They quietly smile and silhouetted, Yuuri skates to Viktor, lightly rests his head on Viktor's chest, and Viktor rests his head on Yuuri's as they embrace and the series ends.

The only painful thing here is the fact that I'm actually replying to your useless post.

Amazon stalker is preorders, user. They haven't earned any of the money yet.

That's pretty gay, it has a chance of happening. There's a duet planned for that song after all.

Bahamut had high as fuck budget because of Cygames. It's a really bad example.

>don't have a proper argument as usual
>samefag and call the other post bait

Every time.

They haven't actually sold any BD's yet. So where is this money coming from? The crucial thing is time which they do not have unless they put it on hold for months. It's popularity was unexpected and they didn't already have the resources and time to animate it nicely.

It won't magically get better animation because it's popular though they might fix it later.

Cringe city.

The show isn't that cheesy, if they skate together it's just going to be homolust fanservice with some inner-monologuing.

I'm assuming this is correct because Kubo favorited it on twitter twitter.com/MichaelOlympian/status/797469623423762432

KanColle had shitty adaptation and its also by a game company.

I really hope they do polish the skating animation. They seem to put a lot of effort into the choreography, costumes, and music so they obviously care about it. I don't see why they wouldn't make the animation better if they had the time to do it.

That's cute.

I love cheesy and this show is cheesy as fuck already with Christophe as a character.

It might be shocking to you fujoshit landwhales, but some people actually like the ice skating routine aspect of the show.

If every routine looked as nice as Victors in the first episode this show would be a 10/10.

She retweets it as fun, I guess.
I hope Medo chan gets a cameo, since episodes weren't finished it could happen.
I want to see the little fujo explode of happiness.

Do you think Chris and Victor had a night of wild passion while listening to this song?
youtube.com/watch?v=atkRoGLJ6ow

Medo will get her cameo when Fairy impersonates her by winning the GPF.

My dumbass actually thought a homolust show was going to deliver on the skating aspect. Why do you have to give me hope with Victor's routine MAPPA?

feelsbadman.jpg

Chris isn't cheesy, he's over the top. There's a difference. You're channeling Jackie Diaz with your level of cringe fanfiction in these threads.

No. Victor is too good for him.

Most definitely. Chris topped Victor whenever he wanted.

>preparing for the massive butthurt when Yurio loses the GPF

No matter what happens in the end, at least the power of butthurt from Yuriofags when he loses will be funny to read.

I don't think anyone actually expects the fairy to win at this point. Doesn't meant it won't be sad. Poor kid.

Aren't you tried of baiting, user?

>MAPPA wasted its original-series budget for the decade on making a shitty show like Zankyou look near movie-tier.

I bet there's an in-universe rumour that the reason Yuri became so good and has a theme "love" is because Viktor is fucking him in the ass

>laughing at Fairy's suffering

Careful with that edge user.

Victor's dick in his ass let him have better flexibility

Well, Chris hints towards it, but that's probably the most you will see in this show.

What is this? Can I buy it? I want my very own Russian Fairy.

I like Fairy, I just don't like the obnoxious Yuriofags.

Doesn't look very finished to me, user.