I don't get it, how is this good? Nothing really happens and it's pretty boring even for SoL standards

I don't get it, how is this good? Nothing really happens and it's pretty boring even for SoL standards.

I agree.

i was really disappointed when Totoro came out. His movies had all been superb up to that point-- but Totoro marks the point where he starts to stick his head up his own ass. A few high points after that but mostly career is over.

Congrats, you fell for the "Miyazaki is not a fucking hack" meme.

it's about saving nature

I don't get it, how is this good? Nothing really happens and it's pretty boring even for SoL standards.

>watch Laputa
>get taken on an epic adventure though the skies and a futuristic world

>watch Totoro
>feel like I'm watching some half assed art film but it's also for kids XD

Go watch Naruto you faggot

you're watching a cartoon for children maybe that's why

If anime is for children why can't I stop jacking off to it?

Because you can't appreciate good cinematography.

>can't into iyashikei
>doesn't know what slice of life is
Ultimate pleb-tier.

>watch adventure movie
>get adventure

>watch SoL movie
>get SoL

I don't see the problem?

plotfags were a mistake

>Not using this image in the OP

when you stop being an angsty tweener you'll get it. til then continue hating ghibli, nintendo, etc

What kind of a fucking faggot do you have to be to make a thread like this?

But I love Nintendo, I just hate Ghibli.

It really captures the magic and whimsy of being a child. It's one of his simpler films but simple is probably best with Miyazaki because when he tries to get complex he becomes a really preachy faggot.

Sometimes the simplest stuff is the best. You don't need a huge, overarching plot for something to be good.

kill yourself retard

>nothing happens
I hate this meme

Do you get upset any time you're confronted with a moral or is it just when they disagree with your own?

I hate hearing a cantankerous old crackpot say the same message over and over again. I get it Miyazaki you hate technology and want Japan to go back to the feudal era when they lived in forests/mountains.

His disdain for progress and the modern world gets tiring, particularly because he isn't subtle about it.

Its got fantastic animation, art and OST. The storys not exciting but its satisfying and has a good ending.

Is every ideologically driven film made by an old crackpot, or only when it disagrees with you?

Yea because that's what people watch ghibli films for, the complex and confrontational moral quandaries. Not the wonder and adventure of a family friendly film in a beautifully drawn world.

Just these considering the man literally refuses to use a phone or fax machine and only wants people to contact him in person or by letter. Miyazaki is the embodiment of "old man yells at cloud" because he hates anything he disagrees with and it's visible in his films. I mean, I enjoyed Mononoke but the moral he pushed was pretty damn heavy handed.

I like a bunch of his stuff but he's clearly becoming more of a crack pot in his old age as his last three films, albeit Arrietty he only helped write, have all been terrible.

In what way were they complex or confrontational, and how do they take away from that feeling of wonder and adventure?

I can't wait until I'm 80 and people call me a crackpot for not using Twitter.
Wind Rises and Ponyo are masterworks, by the way.

>I can't wait until I'm 80 and people call me a crackpot for not using Twitter.
This isn't "not using Twitter" this is his wife had to force him to buy a phone which he refuses to use unless it's an emergency.

>Wind Rises and Ponyo are masterworks, by the way.
So you have poor taste in general.

It is 100% about abstaining from technological advances in communication because they are impersonal.
>you have poor taste
Ditto? I don't know what you expect me to say to this.

Mononoke was pretty balanced, I don't know what you're talking about. He toned down the preachyness and eco terrorism glorification after Nausicaa.

my point was that it's retarded to try and challenge someone's opinion on the basis "omg u can't handle a film with a message" because everyone who isn't a complete fanboy can admit his weakness has always been plot, dialouge and "message".

It's possible to appreciate the talent and aesthetic of miyazakis films while also recognizing his character development and "moral message" is often secondary to the sense of childlike wonder he is so proficient at creating.

I can see why some are fond of wind rises, but to say ponyo is a masterpiece is just insane to me. This is all prefaced by the fact that he's obviously a legend etc etc. But after 20 years I feel like I've seen all he has to offer in terms of plot or "morals". I'm just in it for the nostalgia and hope that I might come close to the feeling I got watching Mononoke for the first time, but I'd love to be proven wrong and have him save anime

>It is 100% about abstaining from technological advances in communication because they are impersonal.

Considering the man was known to neglect his family, this defense doesn't hold much weight.

Just dropping by to let you know that Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro is his best film.

Ctrl+F showed you were all plebs with shit taste.

>It is 100% about abstaining from technological advances in communication because they are impersonal.
He doesn't hate it because it's just impersonal, he hates it because it's not how things used to be. Dude is known as being kind of antisocial to begin with but he hates and shits on more or less all modern technology. As for the weaknesses of his films and how absurdly heavy handed his messages get hit the nail on the head. Miyazaki can work wonders with visuals and set pieces but his writing leaves a lot to be desired. Probably why Arrietty was the massive pile of shit that it was, only thing he contributed was his writing.

It wasn't oppressively in your face like some of his other stuff, but how the end randomly demonized the entire iron works despite how much for it did was stupid. At the end the iron works is turned basically into a forest and everyone is in awe and goes "yes, this bundle of trees is far better than the haven that protected us, fed us, and gave our lives meaning." It's a problem of Miyazaki that he can't restrain himself to just "respect an coexist with nature/tradition" he's always gotta go too far and say we should abolish modern society and go back.

I think you're misreading the ending a bit. All Miyazaki is saying is that a harmony must be found with nature, there's nothing to say that Eboshi won't build another iron town. Except this time she and her people would be more conscious of the environment.

It's up to interpretation I guess, but with his history of heavy handed messages I don't think you can blame me for interpreting it my way. I just felt the total destruction of the iron works felt really unnecessary. Hell the idea of coexistence probably could have been better portrayed visually if HALF the iron works was transformed, though I'm not sure if that would have been as striking an image as the final shot of the iron works.

When I first watched, I had that same feeling. But the movie is targeted to younger kids and it is fantastic from a technical point of view. Don't worry OP, if you feel like it, watch it again with this in your mind and you'll probably enjoy Totoro more. I suppose you created some standards for Ghibli movies that includes amazing story, but that's not the case here.

No plot.
No central character.
No antagonist.
No defined purpose for side characters.
No threat.
No three acts.
No jokes.
No punchlines.
No explanations.
No internal references.
No catchphrases.
No political polemical voice.
No melodrama.
No lessons.
No beginning.
No end.
One of the best films ever made.

Look mom, I posted it again.

That's gives you like twice the shit taste then before

That's fine. Truthfully Miyazaki's ideology has disturbed me before. In Nausicaa the scene where all of the wind people lied down and accepted their destruction as a form of penance really rubbed me the wrong way. I think Miyazaki was working out a lot of his demons in his earlier career but he mellowed out eventually. By his standards anyway.

Girls meet Totoro and have magical adventures because they are boring.

The Father it´s just a genetic father that is too busy working for care about the girls or totoro

Some drama about shoes

I think if you see a nuke falling right in the direction of your yard, the best thing you could do is accepting it.

In the face of death it doesn't hurt to tell yourself that you diddn't were a total asshat

>m-muh nuclear bombings

So he's the Jap version of the kikes whining about
>muh holocaust

But that's the thing, they were accepting it becuase they thought they deserved it and humans suck. That's why it bothered me.

>was working out a lot of his demons in his earlier career but he mellowed out eventually
Cept that really abrupt and out of place speech over an image of WW2 at the end of The Wind Rises. Sometimes I think Miyazaki is the level of crazy that he thinks Japan should have won the war like those crazy people who lived in bunkers for decades and insisted the war was still going.

The image was about art, not about nationalism.

It's pretty obvious he's a assblasted we won the war. I guess it also doesn't help that all their women want our big gaijin cocks too

No, but in the face of certain doom sanity can call you for claiming moral superiority

>Totoro is the God of Death, so the persons that can see Totoro are actually close to death, or already dead. What that means for the story is that when Mei goes missing and a sandal is found in the pond, Mei actually drowned. When Satsuki is asked about the sandal she cannot face the truth and lies about it not being Mei’s sandal. So Satsuki goes on a desperate search for Totoro, calling for him and actually opens up the door the realm of the dead herself. With Totoro’s help she finds her dead sister and they together go to their mother’s hospital. There, the only one who actually noticed that the sisters were there, was the mother, who also soon is going to die.

New Miyazaki movie soon.