Accuracy of Google English-Japanese translation is dramatically improved - use a deep learning?

New translation system announced at the end of September. The company explained that translation errors were reduced by 55 to 85% compared with existing phrase-based machine translation technology (PBMT), by reading the entire original sentence and translating it as one unit and outputting it.

Introduction introduced in English translation of Chinese translation of Chinese. It was said that it will be extended to other languages over several months. It seems that it was introduced also in Japanese translation. Although I tried to translate a couple of things, although there are still unnatural parts, unnaturalness seems to be considerably decreasing compared to before.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TryOC83PH1g
may.2chan.net/b/res/445991327.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are we going to enter the golden of age of accurately machine translated eroge?

This is great, I will be able ot shitpost on 2ch now

Did you translate this post from another language?

Nah is still pure trash.
Googla translate cant tell what the object is because most of the time is omitted in japanese

Are you japanese? Your english is weird.
People who do that should just die.

I can now be a weeb without being a weeb

>Implying it'll be able to read the average light novel title
>Implying you'll be able to understand 2ch netslang now

>Although I tried to translate a couple of things, although there are still unnatural parts, unnaturalness seems to be considerably decreasing compared to before.
Sounds like TaeKimese to me.

We're a long way off from computers that can actually understand human language, assuming that's even possible, which is what is necessary for actual accurate machine translation.

I'm glad it's getting better, but it's never going to be perfect until we achieve absolute perfect AI, which we're still a long long way away from.

Still, I'm guessing it'll probably be pretty good at translating news stories and articles and stuff, stories and manga? Not so much.

I really hope so.

Japanese to english machine translation wont happen in our lifetimes
Do your kanji reps

>Introduction introduced in English translation of Chinese translation of Chinese.
Glorious machine translation

>55 to 85%
This is no where near good enough.

>deep learning
We really should be able to get some very close to perfect machine translations with the new learning AI's. They managed to make one that can beat the top professionals at Go and for the longest time they thought it would be impossible for a computer. Pattern matching didn't work as it produced too many mistakes and the only strong area for computers was the endgame. Now with learning algorithms it is incredibly strong even coming up with its own moves not just becoming as good as the best players but even stronger. There is no reason this shouldn't eventually work for translation software.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

Ahem.

あはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあはあはははははははははhさっははっはあは

>he thinks learning algorithms could work the same way on language as it does on board games.
>he thinks AI will ever exist

It's certainly usable right now, unlike before. It seems that translating a whole web page doesn't make use of the new system.

Finally I can see what our Japanese brethren are talking about.

What did he mean by this?

Yeah x1

笑笑笑笑笑
笑笑笑笑笑笑 笑笑笑笑笑笑
笑笑笑笑笑笑 kek 笑笑笑笑笑笑
笑笑笑笑笑笑 笑笑笑笑笑笑
笑笑笑笑笑

"I have a Japanese IME."

Chinese room, yadda yadda

It's true though.

At peak we'll see choppy translations because translating requires more than just direct translations. Single words have more than one meaning a lot of the time, and there are cultural differences to take into consideration.

>Single words have more than one meaning a lot of the time
I did some fast testing and it seems to choose the most fitting word more times than I expected.

Its not, thats the point of the Chinese room.

I think you're missing my point while I missed yours

What the shit is a chinese room

More like the golden age of machine translated light novels.

Hopefully this allows translation groups to pickup series they dropped with 50+ raws.

youtube.com/watch?v=TryOC83PH1g

It's a room in China.

Looks like the type of pretentious thought experiment found in every VN I try to read

You can safely ignore it if you think that. These sort of thought experiments require bit more knowledge than the generic anime viewing.

The only thought experiment Japs know about is Schrodinger's Cat

>implying that typing entirely in english isn't the best way to shitpost

No you're thinking of Schrödinger's cat

ニース。

*ナイス

出来ない。

>google doesn't translate the word "fags"
Will the future of translation be censorship?

If Google doesn't translate "faggots", what's the future of music?

>tfw you learned this language for literally no reason

やっと天国へ行く時が来た!!お先に名無しさん

>tfw you will be able to read an English Monobeno in your life

Actually, AlphaGo's core algorithm is still a search tree containing a node for every possible move. It used deep learning to create a better pattern matcher at the end nodes of the tree to determine how good each outcome is, and then prune the tree of the worst moves.

If you apply this method to translation, yes, you'll end up with a better translator, but it still will have no understanding of the things being said. The machine takes some Japanese text, then asks, what does this text look like and what does that usually translate to in English?

This is great when it's a common phrase, but the moment you have a phrase that is uncommon or completely new, the translator will fail. Moreover, lot of phrases can have multiple interpretations depending on context, and the machine does not have the context.

And they still get it wrong.

>nor will you enjoy brown elves in engrish

Ultimately this will result in more western cancer, as westerners will be able to more easily access the Japanese Internet and fuck it up.

I weep for Japan after the Olympics.

Yeah, like if you take the phrase "It's only a matter of time.", a computer could `know` that this can be translated as (the equivalent of) "eventually", and it would be close enough to being right that it wouldn't matter.

Then, if you fed it an obnoxious sentence like, "He has a complex complex about complexes." It would choke. It would probably need to have read a E->E translation of this somewhere, and translate based off of that.

Full of faggots but you won't be able to call them that

>I weep for Japan after the Olympics.

You worry about SJW? Don't worry, Trump will trump that out.

Just learn Japanese you faggots. It's easy as long as you do Anki everyday and read.

Yeah because we all know the alt-right disappeared when obama took the presidency.

Why not go one step further and just WRITE my own LN, am I right?

>this will result in more western cancer

Not with glorious proteins folded 1000 times

I'm not worrying about the SJWs, I'm worried about westerners viewing Japan in general.

This will be the first international Japanese event that will have social media coverage. There'll be live streams, tweets, shitty wannabe journalist posts about Japan every minute of every hour. The country will be under a fucking microscope.

And they'll see the real Japan. The normies who think they're such otaku from watch AOT will come across the latest loli hentai and cry from the rooftops about the typical western muh children values.

And that's not even mentioning the people. Fat greasy tourists will come from every corner of the globe and trample the country like it's just another holiday resort they've been to.

Cherish Japan as it is now, because my god it will not be like this after 2020.

>first international Japanese event that will have social media coverage
Fukushima.

I was going to mention the world cup, but god damn that was 14 fucking years ago.

>And that's not even mentioning the people. Fat greasy tourists will come from every corner of the globe and trample the country like it's just another holiday resort they've been to.

Japan fucking wants - no, needs this. Chinese tourists, their main source of tourism are declining and with it their tourism industry is crumbling. They're going to fully welcome the millions of tourists who're going to boost their dying economy.

And yes, every single 'impartial' news site is going to exploit the event to push their agendas, but there's no doubt that it will all go back to normal immediately after the event. There are a fuckton of otaku, and they won't stand for their precious culture they built up over the years getting destroyed.

Does that mean I should stop going to /djt/?

Nothing's gonna happen.

The japanese have taken bootlicking and turned it into an art and a science with a doctoral degree. If anybody so much as sneezes in the wrong tone in the direction of a foreigner they'll be ostracized faster than you can type the word ostracize.

Sure there'll be some retards crying just like we have retards crying right now, but none of that will reach the mainstream. The japanese themselves only care about this stuff if their people win and the west only care about the stuff that their people win.

Poor orchestra

Not right now, but when its better.

By 'event' I meant organised function or act. Besides, Fukushima was a strictly limited exposure thing, westerners read the '500 people killed' headline and went back to sipping their coffee.

The olympics will explore every locality in Japan as well as the people and things in them. The proliferation of the Internet means western cancer will permeate all across the country.

You can just imagine the "Can you believe Japan does this?!" Clickbait headlines that will be showering all over Facebook.

You sound like the definition of a typical weaboo. Whats wrong with you, let people have fun their damn fun. The japanese seem to not mind it either.

Everyone was talking about how Japan was shite for making senior citizens go into the irradiated zones to clean up the mess and how their emergency policies were outdated or stuff.

Or maybe that was just TIME magazine as usual.

>If anybody so much as sneezes in the wrong tone in the direction of a foreigner they'll be ostracized
This is the exact main problem have with the olympics.

The Japanese know they'll be scrutinised by the world and there's a definite possibility they'll try or be forced to 'clean up their act'. The cutesy animeish imagery that is so prevalent in their society will probably shelved and replaced with a some pan sexual, non triggering western bullshit to try to appeal to the foreigners.

This one event has the potential to change Japan as a culture forever.

>making senior citizens
They were volunteers though. They organized it themselves.

Here comes a native Jap.
I tried English-Japanese and Japanese-English but no significant improvement whatsoever.
In order to fully enjoy Anime or Manga, you English speakers have to learn Japanese anyway.

can i watch anime with this

yeah im sure the olympics will be plastered in loli hentai you fucking retard

the future is really near us

The thing about language is it employs things beyond patterns, things like sarcasm which are much harder to detect in fact it's so hard to detect many humans can't even do so

ありがとー!ご意見はとてもとても役に立ったのでちゅ!

Wow!! This post is so helpful!!!!!!!

Will we have weeb filters that leave oppai and itadakimasu untranslated?

Sugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thread?

>It's easy as long as you do Aniki everyday
LEWD

That's hyperbole and you know it.

I'm talking about stuff like this, the casual insertion of cutesy imagery into Japanese life. From bus stops to museums, to schools, even to military helicopters like this.

This is the only country where this sort of thing happens. It's utterly unheard of in America, the UK or any other country. It will be a culture shock to westerners and it's entirely possible that they'll throw so many toys out of the pram that Japan stops doing it altogether.

Yes, a culture shock, one where westerners will ask themselves "fuck fhis is cute, why don't we have this?" And then cuteness will conquer the earth

It was this thread
may.2chan.net/b/res/445991327.htm

But it got too old and died. If you have the FutaKuro extension you can still see the cache, though.

A culture shock, when panties vending machines are pretty much a symbol of Japan around the world

>Conquer
Yeah, that's the word. The original culture will be conquered and replaced with a butchered, PG-13, progressive, watered down version so different from the original it'll be probably sold at Walmart.

Fucking disgusting.

Thanks.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing

Do those even exist anymore? Sure didn't see them in Akihabara. I can certainly see loud Americans asking people where they are.

Do I look like a nip to you

You don't look like these dubs

I don't think they really exist now, maybe one somewhere. And they were never common. They're basically just a meme now

Human translation vs Bing (twitter in-browser translator) vs Google.

True.
I grew up in Japan but have never seen a panties vending machine.

I never knew "muh secrit club" could be applied to a whole nation but you achieved that excellently.

Tried a random tweet, not so good.

Actual translation: Every time I near the end of working on a manuscript, I get in the bath and think "It sure is amazing that I can get hot water whenever I want it..." and feel truly grateful towards all living things for humanity's progress through history. There's no way this is a good mental state to be in.

>"hey lets go see this akihabara place before the next olympic event starts"
>"alright"
>"look at this comic it has super cute girls on the cover and it's called COMIC LO maybe it's lo-priced? hahaha!"

and then they call Interpol and the UN

>got a warning for posting

Nice one jannies.

Why did you waste your time translating something nobody is going to read

Also the program is obviously going to have problems with long sentences and the と structure

It's not like I fucking toiled over it for 5 hours, it took 2 minutes. I don't care if no one reads it.

How many layers of irony are you on right now?
I sincerely got 90% more depressed reading this post.

hidoi desu