WHAT WENT SO HORRIBLY WRONG!?

Anno decided he wanted to do his own style of Endless Eight and troll fans to show how dumb they are

I still haven't watched 3.33 yet because of how awful 2.22 was. All the character development was fucking kiboshed for fanservice and angst.

I think I know where it went wrong.
When Anno started to hate otakus is where everything went oh so wrong. What's the date of the interview where he starts to view otakus with contempt was the day Eva went to shit.
It was at THAT EXACT DATE where he realized he would TROLL THE OTAKU SCUM HE HATED THE MOST with 2.0 and 3.0.

It was cast before unironic caps lock users.

He still needs to sell to make money though.
If he truly hated otaku he'd just make the films into art pieces and kill off all the girls, maybe make KawoShin the end game.

A lot but that last scene still looks cool as fuck

He doesn't hate otaku, he is a fucking otaku and he knows it. All his shit is more about trying to convince others to get out and live something resembling of a life.

He is trying to help his fellow man, not with the most effective strategy but he is trying

He tried pulling a Rebellion but failed since Rebellion is an internal takedown of Madoka's own themes while 3.0 is just Anno going "FUCKING OTAKUS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE" again

madoka viewers are the narutards of our time

Feels like he was trying to do Rebellion Story but added too many bizarre plot devices like the exploding neck collar

Why didn't Kaworu just throw the exploding collar outside? Why didn't Asuka and Misato tell Shinji what the fuck was going on?

Why did they put exploding bomb collars on him in the first place?

Why not, say, a collar which puts Shinji to sleep?

3.0 has so many stupid literal things wrong with its almost impossible to get into the "deeper" things, since it seems more a story of insane, hilarious incompetence instead of human fragility like the original Eva was

Literally nothing. Anno got exactly the reaction he wanted out of the Eva fanbase so they would shut the fuck up for a while and let him direct something else.

Rebellion beats out Rebuild in literally every conceivable way. It is a better story. Structurally speaking and otherwise. It's more daring, more creative, and ultimately more satisfying.

Nobody shut up even for a second though, since 3.0 raised a million more questions than it answered.

Its obvious he still has talent, even he used the same fucking music from eva.

I have have for 3+1 or whatever the name is now

I guess that Rebellion is the gold standard for unnecessary sequels after the fact. It was definitely unneeded, but at least it managed to do something new, quite unlike Rebuild.

3.0 isn't deep, its schlock.

does everyone that hates 3.0 think the original TV series was somehow perfect or something

Why do people praise Eva TV's confusing "deep story", while hate on 3.0's shitty confusing "deep story"?

because eva tv makes perfect sense.
rebuild keeps delaying the "making sense" part to the next sequel.

>eva
>good anime
Nice joke.

>because eva tv makes perfect sense
No it didn't, why do you think EoE exists you shitter. My god don't tell me you're defending this.

The eva story is not deep. Is about broken people failing to connect for fear of being hurt, those are the broad strokes.

Anno just put in robots, and christian symbolism, and tang because its all cool as fuck.

Its still beautiful and I love every minute of it but I hate the eva so deep nonsense

Why were Rei and unit 01 enough to trigger 3rd impact?

>unnecessary sequels
All sequels are unnecessary. What Rebellion did was avoid the trap all sequels fall into which is essentially a "retelling" of the first story with some things changed around.

In my opinion Rebellion is a masterpiece. It is the antithesis to PMMM's thesis. The Empire Strikes back of the franchise.

Meanwhile Rebuild 3.0 is like the Evangelion Holiday Special

>Look at me, I'm a contrarian! Do I fit in yet?

Because Anno says so you faggot.

Anno is literally the Japanese George Lucas.

>he thinks eva is about giant robots

plotfags were a mistake

I love you, user

>3.0 is confusing
It's not confusing it's just fucking stupid and contrived and at odds with itself

BEHOLD THE BATTLE SCARRED MISATO

YEARS OF EXPERIENCE HAVE MADE HER... more incompetent than ever!

Seriously she's such a fucking moron! And a petty cunt too! Wow, I guess SURVIVING past the age of thirty WAS a mistake for this DUMB CUNT!

but that's when it was good

spoilers: telling a story about broken people is the deep part, not the x-files with random bible quotes one.

>making a shit argument
>let me add a smug anime face to make it seem I'm winning this argument

But user, she changed her hairstyle. That's like, character development 101

>broken people
That's not enough anymore. There's a line of "dumbfuckery" that you cross which loses all sympathy from the audience and Rebuild crosses it

i see you are new to Sup Forums

since when did telling stories about the human condition become fucking "deep". That is what good art is supped to do.

You mean right ? It's the best rebuild by far

Stay mad 2.0fags

>new
I'm not, and that's not an argument. Two can play at that game but AT LEAST give me an argument.

Nothing.

Rewatch the Rebuilds enough and things start to make sense. Seele's plans and the impacts at large are basically about getting two FAR (Shinji and Kaworu) to alien-fuck so that Rei is rebirthed into a completed FAR being with both fruits, becoming the medium for humanity so that they can transcend into FAR beings as well. That is the absolute basic gist of the plot as far as events go.

As for themes, it's about the transcendence into adulthood, and eventually parenthood. Learning to be a good, responsible adult or parent that other people can rely on, learning to deepen your relationships with other people by taking on your responsibilities, finding your soulmate and forming your own loving family while using your strengths to improve the world around you, and help those you love, etc.

Eva 02 turning into a cat is still beyond retarded though, even though there's some plot-related meaning behind it.

The rebuilds gave me tons of pure fan service, I will forgive the dumfuckery.

I can always go back and watch the original. You can't say that Anno does not know his audience. He gave us exactly what we wanted.

I didn't want Glasses girl or small bomb collars

so what you're saying is
it's eva, but shallower and with more dumb shit in it?

that's what people have been saying about rebuild all along, dude

Dumb otaku and moefags.

story ruined, fun added. some people like it, some don't.

and here we are talking about them, and we will be talking about both in another twenty years. like it our not he gave the audience exactly what it wanted. even if you didn't know it.

half the fun is the discussion around the show and the rebuild sure produced a shit ton of that

Nothing. It was a good commentary about how infatile the otaku community can be.
Technally the animation was shit but the real life time skip was a touch of genius.

yeah, stuff like introducing mari was just pretending to be retarded
clearly

This is fucking stupid.

I'll be talking about Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V too but that's not a sign of success

>I only like mainstream anime
So you like Naruto as well, huh?

I'll kill you.

Sup Forums please go

All of rebuild is a big love/hate letter to the community he is both a part of and at the same time despises.

If you can't find something enjoying in 3.0 then you are probably not the intended audience Its like being in a bad relationship.

Sure Anno likes to abuse you like some broken wife but damn if you don't love him for it.

Not exactly shallow, but there's definitely more dumb shit in it, yes. That and these are movies that primarily focus on Shinji's struggles, there simply isn't enough running time to detail every single character's development or personal struggles.

Thematically-speaking, NGE was about the hardships of adolescence; realizing that the world is not how you see fit. People are their own individual entities with their own morally ambiguous goals and that the ideals of childhood (otakudom) must learn to be abandoned, because it is nothing but a dream.

Rebuild is the transcendence of adolescence to adulthood, realizing that your actions have consequences for you and all of those around you. Prolonged latching onto childish ideals (again, another nod to otakudom) inevitably leads to disaster for everyone involved. It's learning to take responsibility and make the right decisions to improve the world for those around you, like a true adult.

Yeah I pirated his dumb movies and then kept trolling Sup Forums threads with how shit they are.

Anno is clearly a cinematic genius for keikaku dooriing me that way.

You are the one spending time talking about works you clearly dislike. I think that says more about you then it does the fans of his work.

No he's not. Anno made good anime in the 80s when he had the passion for it. But after making the mistake that is Evangelion, his whole career went downhill. And now he just doesn't care.

Nothing really. 4.0 will clear everything up.
But 3.0 really does stand fine by itself as long as you PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

I like the original, and that's the entire reason anyone gives a shit about Rebuild to begin with. Anno could have put out literally any movies with the Eva name on it and caused the same amount of discourse, because this is all about the originals.

>Nothing really. 4.0 will clear everything up.

Suuuuure.

>4.0 will clear everything up.
That's what people said about 3.0 and now look where we are.

Haha man you can explain everything you want, it doesn't make the plot any less stupid

Things were already clearing up with 3.0 if you actually pay attention to the plot.

This is why the Madoka fans make fun of us.

Go back to writing your movie, Anno.

3.0 was pretty clear.

For example, Misato explains exactly to Shinji why there is a fucking choker on him and why she has to kill him. Its clear as day.

He refuses to accept it and acts like a child, he is refusing to grow the fuck up, its part of the theme.

The fact that everyone forget that and bitches that misato should just explain to shinji shows how little the audience was paying attention.

>I'm going to kill you
>WTF WHY R U UPSET STOP BEING A CHILD!!!

Geez, it's almost like I could get that from watching a TV show from 1995 that everyone halfway interested in that movie has already seen.

You just described NGE/EoE.

>The fact that everyone forget that and bitches that misato should just explain to shinji shows how little the audience was paying attention.

The audience was paying perfect attention, Anno fucking failed in explaining or justifying Misato's batshit retarded plan or lack or communication

Anno is a fucking genius, he actually managed to make the majority of his audience feel just and childishly enraged and confused as Shinji did in the movie.

If he wanted to demonstrate just how pathetic and juvenile the majority of the Eva fanbase really is, he did an excellent job with this flick.

>3.0 was pretty clear.
Unit 02 transforms into a kitty why?

>lol you didn't like my movie, that means i win

He is a child that ended the fucking world. She says as much. she says its to prevent another awaking, another end of the world scenario.

Same with Rei, they tell him, she is gone, the world has moved on, there are more important things, aka the end of the fucking world. and again he denies it and says he saved her.

Its part of his journey into adult hood and learning to accept the world.

I just finished EoE last week, should I watch the rebuild series? The general consensus so far has been "no".

>dying is part of his journey into adulthood
That's not how growing up works user

Evangelion was always a show/series about people failing to communicate with each other and this triggers retarded bullshit with pretentious symbolism and apocalyptic drama. 3.0 followed exactly what Eva was when 2.0 seemed superficially destroy the theme.

It was never about saving muh rei or having Shinji to man up, but watching him making blunders in a fucked up cast of people and committing mistakes because he didn't understand them.

>The audience was paying perfect attention, Anno fucking failed in explaining or justifying Misato's batshit retarded plan or lack or communication

Not really. Most fans still don't know or couldn't figure out that Shinji isn't even fucking human in the Rebuilds. He is a FAR and the key to the impacts. Even though all of the evidence was always blatantly present since the first movie.

The general audience is pretty dumb and is putting too much focus into fan service or character favoritism.

3.0 makes sense on a thematic level (until the end, when it just confuses everyone on purpose to bait fanwank). But it ONLY makes sense on a thematic level, and the themes it puts forward aren't particularly complicated. So you get 10 minutes of rehashed themes from the 90s and the rest of the movie is a toy commercial. Genius indeed.

There's only one thing that really bugs me, why the fuck are Shinji and Kaoru still wearing fucking school uniforms? Why the fuck is Kaoru even wearing a school uniform in this alternate story?

accepting the fact your actions have consequences is. and the consequence for trying to end the world would be death.

seems reasonable to me

At the very least, it's well animated. Yes, it's a CG fest that completely shits on the characterization of the entire series but it's admittedly pretty to look at.

Nothing will hold a candle to Asuka's fight against the Dummy Plug Evas, though. It's still one of the best animated scenes in anime.

Yeah, if you're a fucking moron.

No one, not even wise ancient kings, accepts their death. It is not adulthood, it is the END of adulthood. The END of life, and all things.

Just watch it you dweeb. It's still better than most shit.

>So you get 10 minutes of rehashed themes from the 90s and the rest of the movie is a toy commercial. Genius indeed.

Welcome to anime

>3.33 yet because of how awful 2.22 was

If you had problems with 2.22, then you definitely shouldn't watch 3.33, yes. 2.22 was measured and fairly faithful to the original material.

Inferior to 2.22 is every possible way. It is also worse than 1.11.

Why didn't he just throw the collar away after taking it from Shinji?

Nerv budget was spent on cloning Reis. More serious answer, if you actually pay attention, it's hinted the uniforms are from dead students of Shinji's school. Nerv doesn't give a fuck to properly dress them in other people's clothes, because they aren't people, they are tools for Impacts to them. It gives them a feel of 'eternally 14 years old' unnerving aura.

Tons of people accept their own death, especially when its for something greater. A nation, an ideal, to save the fucking world.

A adult shouldn't think of his own self to the point where it puts the whole world in danger. That is childish

Watch it so you can shitpost about it better

That's the thing though, he clearly wanted to frustrate his intended target audience with this movie. 2.0 was the bait for the inevitable rage and mindfucks that would follow with 3.0. It's all planned.

Not that user, but yes it is. Leaning to move on (be it a death, a separation or a broken relationship) is a part of growing up. All of us have to endure something like that at some point in our lives.

Though Rei isn't actually gone or dead, same with Kaworu. Kaworu's soul is most definitely trapped inside eva 13. With Rei it's debatable. She could be trapped in unit 01, or also in eva 13 after the mark 6 transfer, somewhere completely different, or is even inside Shinji.

Nah, it makes sense plot-wise as well, sci-fi mumbo-jumbo included.

Yes, clearly Rebuild, the series that is supposed to retell the story to a new generation, would pivot around the concept of the FAR, something that is never mentioned in Rebuild or even the original Eva for that matter. Why are audiences not figuring this out, it's all right there in the evageeks wiki!

You fags don't realize that the message is forgiveness and a chance to hope for make up for what he did. Kaworu explained to Shinji that, sure, lilin now hate Shinji, but he has hope they would forgive him eventually. Because no transgression is as bad as it sounds. He was telling Shinji to strive toward this and move on because he couldn't undo his fuck up, but because Shinji refuse and got a super depressed breakdown mess after Fuyutsuki's revelation and was refusing to live at all, he caved into Shinji's wish, carrying his sin for him. Shinji's inability to accept Misato's condemnation and Kaworu's advice to try new things and learn to be happy without attempting to change the past was what triggered the new tragedy. He fucked up again, his sin killed Kaworu, and he's left in a bigger mess. But Kaworu's partying words and Asuka's actions show him there is always hope. One step at time.

One of them had to die or else fourth impact would continue. Kaworu chose to sacrifice himself instead.

This is so blatantly explained through Kaworu's explanations and Mari's dialogue, why is this movie STILL so hard for so many people to understand?

Kaworu a shit in rebuild
Anno had 3 fucking movies to build his character and left it vague as shit until 3.0 and then it's just
>JAM WITH ME SHINJI
stupid fuck.
also the fact that shinji doesn't kill Kaworu completely shits all over what happened in NGE

Well. He kinda does kill Kaoru, just not directly in this case. That is not the major problem with 3.0.

There's nothing wrong with any of the characters in 3.0, including Kaworu. Even Mari is ok-ish. They are just criminally underused because of time constraints and the focus on Shinji.

>also the fact that shinji doesn't kill Kaworu completely shits all over what happened in NGE

Shinji does kill Kaworu.