Why does anime struggle so badly with storytelling and cinematography?

fa/tv/irgin here.

I want to like anime. It just ends up being really frustrating to watch because the creative teams miss the most basic shit in terms of cinematography and story building.

My roommates have been showing me assorted things over the past few months, and I watched some entry tier shit when I was in school.

>Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Author has no concept of a stock character. Every character that gets introduced ends up being crucial to the plot at some point. Asian Spock Nijiima goes from being an asshole friend to conspiring all kinds of shit, etc etc etc. It just makes the world feel really small and isolated, like everything we see exists for no reason other than to serve the narrative.
>One Outs
I'm actually a bit of a Sup Forumserg as well; this one just frustrates me because the on-the-field shit could be so much more believable, if it had any basis in reality. The best Sup Forums kino is the stuff that references real events and real people, even if the players and teams in the show/movie are all fictionalized.
>Death Note
I didn't think this was too bad, but it's hard for a story in this format to make use of the animated visuals. I'd imagine the manga would read really well but the anime just felt rambly.
>SnK
I was actually enjoying the first season of this series, but especially once the siege started, I'm completely convinced nobody on that team knows what foley is. I'm supposed to believe these 50 foot tall monsters are attacking but not. even. once. do we even see so much as a building shake unless the action's occuring that second on screen. They go in that headquarters and I guess the Titans can't even so much as make the building shake while they're in there. I couldn't see past it.
>Liar Game (the live action tv series)
this was just shit tbqh

Do my roommates just have shit taste? What are some good series that do well from a cinematographic standpoint?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QKoSTE1mAuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What are some good series that do well from a cinematographic standpoint?
Anything from Shaft is kino

check out the 'I am an underage faggot' franchise

Anime is all shit desu. Maybe check out NGE.

you know nothing about cinematography or filmmaking technique at all. don't even pretend.

Literally everything you have seen is absolute shit. Only good things is true first half of Death Note and One Outs, and One Outs to my knowledge was a shitty adaptation of a far superior manga. SnK is riddled with issues and has been a journey downhill from a promising premise, and Kenichi is literal garbage.

You want good cinematography? It's out there, just don't watch fucking trash.

I watched all the Fellini and Godard Criterions my library had so there

The only Sup Forums approved anime is boku no pico

Death Note was all about that over dramatic cinematography that made it so much better than the manga.

This is bait

NGE
Monster
Ghost In The Shell
Paranoia Agent
Paprika

Literally anything better that most of what you listed.

youtube.com/watch?v=QKoSTE1mAuE

And here is another faggot

Fuck off

Rec threads belong on

Why are modern Sup Forums users so unfamiliar with the "sage" function?

>spoonfeeding retard newfag with who thinks he watches deep and mature anime telling me to fuck off

I wouldn't say anything about the cinematography, but afaik their culture and history play a big role in this. One of their most popular writer, for example, Murakami himself has stated in interview that he tries to stay away as far as possible from the japanese culture.

There's also this thing, i remember something like having discussion with a Sup Forums or /jp/ user about the exaggeration in japanese way of acting. Apparently they have their own method of acting that dates back to the Kabuki theatres back long ago.

Or they're just autistic.

Watch Kimi No Nawa,Summer Wars,Kill La Kill,NHK Ni Youkoso,these might change your opinion user

That is a list of shit anime. Your roommate is clearly a pleb of the highest caliber.

>Kill La Kill

Try Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

His Complaining About Cinematography,Thats Kill La Kill Main Strenght

Imaishi is a good director, he just is garbage at writing (as is all the staff at Trigger, evidently).

And i just want to say something to people like you too, you people who have already developed a certain tastes for cinema and have little or no contact with anime beforehand and trying to get into Anime will have a hard time. Dont even bother, anime isn't something that is made to appeal to people like you.

>Do my roommates just have shit taste?
Yes.
>What are some good series that do well from a cinematographic standpoint?
Ghibli movies are always a good entry point and normie friendly for people like you.

You could literally pick any other Imaishi work and it would be a better recommendation.

Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita is a good series 2

It's not though.
If you want cinematography you would watch something like Hibike, not the anime equivalent of Mission Impossible.

>Poor aspiring mangaka desperately try to create edgy mainstream shit
>Finally gets serialized, but never planned anything beyond the one shot
>Gets famous, can't finish the damn story because his publisher wants to milk the shit out of it
>Not famous anymore, enters eternal hiatus

my nigga

He should watch Hibike, but only so he hates anime forever and never uses Sup Forums again

Eupho and Kill la Kill are about on the same tier in that regard.

Anime simply doesnt have the budget or time for production values that you seem to expect. You're going to either have to learn how to stow your autism, or just forget it.

Evangelion,psycho-pass(first series),panty e stocking with gaterbelt

If we are going only by cinematography,visuals and nothing else I would say shit like Guilty Crown(only animation and nothing else of quality)

You need to stop watchin tvcore anime and get something from kinoanimation.

Try Hyouka user,It looks beautiful though the story in general is not the most interesting

Animation has nothing to do with cinematography.

Because you're looking at the shitty disposable shit tv shows.

Look at movies if that's what you're comparing to.

You're expecting a lot from a country that has been in crippling financial crisis for nearly 30 years.
Japan's econmy is bordering on Pre WW2 Germany mixed in with the lowest birth rates of a non 3rd world country.
Here in the west we have the money and manpower, Japan doesn't.

And yet japan produces more worthwhile entertainment content than all of west combined

>I'm supposed to believe these 50 foot tall monsters are attacking but not. even. once. do we even see so much as a building shake unless the action's occuring that second on screen. They go in that headquarters and I guess the Titans can't even so much as make the building shake while they're in there.

The titans are extremely light; sure that makes it weird how they can pick people up without anchoring themselves, and the wind really should blow them over.
Still the physics of large humanoid creatures can never make sense because of the square cube law, so overthinking them is sort of silly.
The physics is the least problem that SnK got.

>why is anime bad at storytelling and cinematography?
>lists shows for literal kids
That might be why. Watch anime that doesn't rely on badassery (aka shows for children) or edginess (aka shows for teenagers) or hype (aka shows for manchildren) and you might find something worthwhile.