Kaleido Star

This anime has been a positive surprise. It is among the best I have seen. However, even though Sora works hard and has a very big heart, she gets treated terribly by all the important people. At times this makes it frustrating and painful to watch.

What is this all about? This is beyond just tough love. Is pushing other people down the cliff and expecting them to get out themselves or die part of Japanese culture?

She's only a kid, and she has to compete with adults, and it's not like Layla and Leon really wanted Sora to succeed in the beginning.

I remember the second half being shit.

What was wrong with it?

Unlikeable new characters introduced and Sora's development thrown out of the window.

I thought Sora stayed pretty consistent throughout the series, but I may be remembering incorrectly since I haven't watched the series in a few years.

>Sora's development thrown out of the window
Unfortunately you are right about this. Sora has a weaker character in the second half than the first.

>At times this makes it frustrating and painful to watch.

it creates emotional impact. especially in the early parts of the 2nd cour. it allows you to empathize with Sora's struggles more and creates a very strong impression of 'antagonists' in the series. don't worry though as those 'strong impressions' are part of the real charm of the series when things turn around. remember, one of the messages of this story is that nothing is earned without effort and opposition, that makes the pay off all the more worth it

Just keep watching, it's pretty good.

>What is this all about? This is beyond just tough love.

That's actually refreshing, while exagerated at times it accurately shows that it's not an easy career and it probably created more empathy with the characters

My memory fucking sucks, I don't remember much, probably should give it another go

It is the combination of despicable opposition from others and angsting fits from Sora, both irrational, which make it so tough to watch at times.

>angsting fits from Sora

She's what, 16? It should be expected at least a little bit.

Wouldn't you expect her to learn with time instead of them getting worse?

It's been some time since I watched it but I remember Sora training hard to become the star on season 1 then on season 2 she is shit and the new girl is better, then there's the new male lead that is an edgelord with a sob story that I couldn't care less about.

Like I said, it felt at times like it was too much but if you consider the circustances it makes sense.

She was a scrub, a fucking nobody, just a kid with barely training, despite that she was able to audition.

Who would've though that people would be angry when said scrub would try to get into their turf with half-assed efforts? You also must remember that the kaleido stage is world famous, not your run of the mill circus

She's also still a teenager.

I am still in the middle of the second half and can't make up my mind.

>those 'strong impressions' are part of the real charm of the series when things turn around
The Yuri plot was what I enjoyed the least about the first half. And the second half feels like an extended Yuri plot. I would have preferred a more episodic approach with less extreme challenges and a Sora that doesn't let everyone shit on her.

Also, the romance gag subplot is annoying. Apart from that it really is among the best I have ever seen, which makes these issues such a shame.

I figured in S2 Sora was still coming to terms with Layla being gone and that through her off.

>new male lead that is an edgelord with a sob story that I couldn't care less about

You shut up. Leon is an angel.

No. Layla becomes extremely rough with Sora. This is what I meant with ALL important people shit on her, including the owner. Right now I am where Sora moves back to Japan and all the people who treated her so badly want her back. This gives me great satisfaction but it also pisses me off. What I assume she will do is return to Kaleido but then the other people don't get the punishment they deserve. The hypothetical alternative would be Sora ending her extremely promising career. What I personally wish she could do but obviously won't happen is join a different circus where she gets the treatment she deserves and then outshines Kaleido.

I really like Rosetta. If only she was good enough to team up with Sora to create their own show.

Have you reached the episode where Sora goes somewhere, New York, I think, and performs with Layla again?

Yes. That one is earlier. And yes, Layla shows her tough love and encourages her from behind. But later on... During the entire Festival miniplot and especially afterwards Layla utterly trashes Sora.

I love this anime, one of my favourites of all anime

Rosetta was cute.

Heh, I also took a SS during that episode.

Layla is kind of a bitch anyway. She was a star performer and expected Sora to take her place.

>the new male lead that is an edgelord
I just got to the episode where he fell and was hospitalized. Finally the punishment I longed for!