Why is this so much better than Free! ?

Why is this so much better than Free! ?
What did Mappa get right about faggots doing sport that Kyoani completely fucked up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lyf1iMKrR78
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sports anime are always better when the focus is on contenders at the top of the field, rather than the generic underdog team that bullshit their way through with the power of friendship.

Yuuri is an underdog, retard.

He's Japan's top ice-skater, you tard.

I can be Mudhutbekiztan top ice skater as well, doesn't stop me from being a complete underdog in international competitions

Yamamoto is an artist. Utsumi was too blinded by her fujoism.

You're not an underdog if you qualify for international competitions.

Free was just K-on! with muscles
The guys didn't even feel like guys personality-wise.

Let's not pretend that Yuri on Ice isn't gayer than Free now.

>Mappa is a better studio than Kyoanus
>Yamamoto is a better director than the literally who Free chick
>Yuri's characters act like (homosexual) men and not girls in men's bodies
>Yuri has good writing, Free was just moeshit for fujoshit
>Yuri has better character designs
>Yuri has nipples
Choose one.

This.
The characters of Free were literally gender swapped Keions.

They have perfected the art of fujobait.
Free! was just testing the waters. YOI has more blatant sexual undertones such as eros whereas Free! was more vanilla and about friendship and teamwork.

It remains to be seen if YOI will go legit homo or just remain fanservice, but they have found a loophole to easily go either way.

He was losing so much it made him fall into depression.

It's more like he was a mediocre and forgettable pro skater rather than an underdog or prodigy.

>Mappa is a better studio than Kyoanus
Wrong

>Yamamoto is a better director than the literally who Free chick
I agree

>Yuri's characters act like (homosexual) men and not girls in men's bodies
Are we watching the same show?

>Yuri has good writing, Free was just moeshit for fujoshit
It's more focused on the sport, wouldn't say it has overall better writing.

>Yuri has better character designs
>Yuri has nipples
Agree

That's not how high level sports work, dumbass. He trained in Detroit, he was at no disadvantage and has qualified on the same level as everyone he competes with.

Yep and Yuri isnt a retard like Free's MC.

>>Yuri's characters act like (homosexual) men and not girls in men's bodies
>Are we watching the same show?
How can you deny this?

"fall into depression" if you've seen more than 10 anime, you'd know depression in anime is meaningless. he was bummed out from losing and the shame of coming back as a loser.

Watch the show before shitposting. Yuri on Ice has like twice the fujobait as Free.

There needs to be more sports anime that take place on the professional level rather than high school shonenshit.

What the fuck does that have to do with the fact that YOI characters don't act like little girls in male bodies? Even when Yuuri is intentionally acting like a girl he's less of a little girl.

Aside from Nagisa, no one really acted like "little girls" in Free. Watch the show before shitposting pls

Aside from Victor, Free! boys are cuter. Nobody will ever top Haru in beauty.

Though YOI is definitely the superior anime in all aspects except animation.

The drama is teenage girl-ish

>Nobody will ever top Haru in retardation
fify

Haru is shit. Free is shit.

Haru is a garbage MC unlike Yuri.

Having properly proportionate bodies for one

Why are Yuri on Ice fans so asshurt about Free?

For me it just comes down to the characterization.

Yuri's characters are interesting, Free's aren't. Simple as that.

Fuck off Freeshitter and take your shit show with you.

Nishiya is generally a good designer but his Free designs were complete shit.
I blame Utsumi.

Some landwhales view everything as a competition.

Though I thought all the Freefags migrated to YOI since it seems right up their ally.

Don't tell me people genuinely believe this is better than Free in any way.
The only difference between the two is that one was well animated and the other isn't.

Found the Freefag.

Many shows are better than that shit show.

Both are fujobait. Only difference is one is old and busted and one is the most popular anime of the current season.

Adult characters with comedy hijinks and real issues instead of retarded teenagers with bullshit dragged out drama

I can't wait for the day it becomes old and busted like Free.
Both are terrible.

Rotoscoping

It will happen as it does with every flavor of the season. Though it is pretty impressive it got as popular as it did so fast. Free! had kyoani magic, YOI just exploded from nothing.

Free made money with shipwars, YOI makes money while being comfy af.

I hated Free! and had high hopes for YOI, but they fucked it up with shit animation. They could have saved the skating for special moments, but now we have nothing but QUALITY.

at least the homo has been top notch

That it has.

Really hoping the polish it for the BD's. It would be an absolute waste if not because you can tell the choreography is there but the animation isn't.

You know I thought it was better but Free had fucking production values and beautiful animation, YOI looked like shit by the 3rd episode so I just dropped it right there.

And I'm saying that as someone that hates Free. Possibly one of the worst shows I ever finished

Keep dreaming.

It only gets worse later on. At least I managed to sit through Free because of the animation, but Yuri went into the trash after the 6th episode.

Don't even compare them, K-On friendships were believable, characters always acted in ways we could understand and predict, with Free it was just genderbent moeblobs crying and being dramatic while showing off their bodies.

I'm still disgusted that fujos ate it all up, the Frees are worst than regular archetypes, they don't even feel like characters.

Team sports doesn't translate well into drama, paradoxically
Too many characters to build an appropriate hierarchy of importance

also YoI is basically every self-insert scenario for "you meet your celeb crush" fanfics

But it will happen, like it happened to every other fujoshow.
These characters aren't even the type that get you emotionally attached so I'm not even expecting it to last as long as Free did.

No, the actual difference is that Free was just the fujoshit show of the season and no one other than fujoshits gave a shit about it, Yaoi on Ice on the other hand has managed to reach the general public. There are lots of straight men watching and enjoying Yuri.

K-ON wasn't realistic at all. They were still moeblobs who just sat around eating sweets. Kyoani in general is known for being moeshit. It was obvious since Clannad.

>funnier with more charismatic characters
>realistic, believable drama without getting melodramatic
>lots of attention to detail with the sport and setting
>about pro athletes instead of kids so it's easier to take seriously
>doesn't pull punches with fujobait and goes so far to make love a central theme of the entire series
>fast paced rather than boring SoL

Gay doesn't mean fujoshit. Ancient greek were gay, but it was a manly kind of gay that was integral to their realization as men and education. The whole Viktor-Yuri relationship is about Yuri's development as a skater and to make Viktor feel better with his role and life in the zenith of his career.

Free! was gratuitous fujoshit fanservice where the people were oblivious to sexuality and yet were sexualized. Yuri on Ice, sex and eroticism is a part of the show and a conscious part of Yuri's growth.

I see you haven't watched the second season

Also Clannad a shit

How is Clanned moeshit at all?

I wish baiters would be less obvious.

Judging by the threads YOI is just infested by landwhales. Free! wasn't even as gay as people hyped it up to be so it's probably more open to general audience than YOI which just throws fujobait in every episode.

Just watched all of the released episodes last night. Am I the only one who thinks this show is pretty trashy?

Animation is hit or miss (generally miss later on) the fanservice moments are too uprfront and campy to take remotely seriously; character development is constantly negated by out-of-place jokes and so on.

It's shallow fanservice fluff and nothing more. At least for now. Maybe I've just outgrown such shows, I was never a big fan of the blatantly pandering fujo sports shows anyway.

Most of the male skaters don't feel like actual guys in this show either. Not even gay guys.

I have to commemorate a studio for finally having the balls to go so blatantly gay in this show though, I'll be legit shocked if Yuri and Victor don't end up together, or at least start dating temporarily.

I've watched every kyoani anime at least twice or three times. They are moeshit incarnate.

You really think the heterosexual man of Sup Forums give a shit about Yuri? How delusional are you?

kek

Are you trying to tell me Nagisa, that violin girl, starfish girl, and the short haired twin are not moeblobs?

male ice skaters legit act like this

They're both filled with fujoshits.

>YOI just exploded from nothing

YOI has fanservice for females and it's intended for a female audience. Unlike popular belief, that's actually not very common in anime.

Watch more ice skater programs. They are all flamboyant and sexualized. It's part of the sport. Some are fun and very odd. Show is even tame when it hasn't showed coach and skaters kissing and hugging a lot which they do often.

Threads on Sup Forums aren't representative of the people watching this show at all. I'm telling you, I've seen lots of people commenting on the Internet everywhere that they gave the show a chance despite disliking the blatant homolust and fanservice and they ended up enjoying it.

Nah, it's really trashy. It was fun at first but after several episodes of the same thing it became off-putting.

I don't bother watching ice skating but it wouldn't surprise me if many of them are flamboyantly gay or if coaches tend to get into relationships with their students and vice-versa.

Regardless that doesn't make up for the poor pacing due to it being constantly broken up by forced jokes and humor.

Basically how I feel. Had promise after the first few episodes but it's not there anymore, it's now clear to me that this show is straight-up shallow pandering. Debating on dropping it.

Yes, but it was the last decent Kyoani show.

I mean it doesn't have a previously established fanbase like previous season, manga, or LN. Nor is the studio particularly notable.

It has Sayo Yamamoto.

I still enjoy it, but I kinda feel the same. Hopefully the next episode cool down a little.

bait

That's how I felt for the first couple of episodes. Half the time I like where it goes in terms of Yuri finding himself, and I don't mind the subtext, but it still feels like it's distracting.
And the recycled animation makes it hard to really think they're good at all. It looks lazy and off putting; Tutu had the same problem, but at least its excuse was that it was a little more about fairytales than about ballet.

I didn't want to drop it because I'm sure we're never going to see ice skating in anime again and the music was bretty gud, but everything else was just terrible and the skating isn't even well animated. Couldn't take it anymore, now I just want to forget.

You sound like you hate fun.

Ah, point. But still, shows targeted at females, fujos or no, are still an untapped market so I'm not surprised the series exploded like it did. It also adds ice skating, which doesn't have a lot of manga about and has tons of males acting really, REALLY gay. Those are like formula for success.

Same happened with Free, but I don't think Free really lived to its full potential.

YoI is a sport anime directed like a romantic comedy from the nineties. Of course it has a fuckton of jokes, chibis and lighthearted moments.
Would you call Karekano or Lovely Complex bad for the same reason?

Because her previous works were such best sellers right?

Nah, it's just not my kind of fun. I'm not a fan of extremely shallow and forced fun.

Fun is subjective. Some people don't like cheap fanservice and bad animation.

Yuri on Ice is about embracing femininity as defying gender roles. Femininity is depicted as empowering rather than a weakness.

And now you sound like a party pooper.

Of course they wouldn't, you can tell people dismiss this as shallow pandering solely because it's homo. If they were a straight couple it'd just be fun, endearing, par for the course relationship development.

Thanks for the laugh user.

Not that user but I have to agree with him.

The fanservice isn't tastefully done, it's just stale tropes after stale tropes that break my suspension of disbelief. I don't like it in fujoshit and I don't like it in hetshit either.

Are you serious? If they were a strait couple the girl would be called a slut by Sup Forums and it would be classified as ecchi. Nobody would take it seriously or argue that it has any sort of substance whatsoever.
Hell people would simply watch it to fap like most are doing now.

How is Yuuri a slut? He's a pure virgin at 23 and only expresses his sexuality via metaphorical skating and directs it at food/his love interest.

That said I do think they're physically closer than most couples in anime, since they aren't hideously awkward high schoolers.

People already call Victor and Yuuri sluts. The only people who take it seriously are the shippers.

>These characters aren't even the type that get you emotionally attached so I'm not even expecting it to last as long as Free did.

This.
This is the main problem with the show so far.
Aside from Yuri to some extent, I can't get attached to any of the other characters. The rest are all literal fujo stereotypes and tropes. Unless if the show takes a radical shift in tone, then it'll be another FOTM and forgotten in a year.

I liked Yurio quite a bit, he actually had an entertaining personality and wasn't a walking joke. Too bad he's irrelevant.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lyf1iMKrR78

This isn't even ecchi tier, what are you smoking. Other than Chris's ass last episode the bodies aren't sexualized and the interactions between characters are sensual but not sexual. Call me when Yuri trips and accidentally lands in Victor's dick and give him and accidental blowjob.

>Yuuri trips and accidentally lands in Victor's dick
doujins when?

I honestly think it's boring. I can't enjoy the trashiness or blatant homo because everything else is just so boring. The characterization in the show is fucking weak, I'm baffled by people thinking it's good, but different strokes, I guess.

I mean hell, the last episode introduced several characters but the whole episode was just shitty routines. There's absolutely no depth behind anyone. No, not even the main characters. I'll give Yuuri some credit, but his development feels fucking weird. Like we missed this huge chunk of time where being with Victor affected him.

Victor is just a superficial slut. Do we know anything substantial about him as a person?

>Nagisa

Makoto was the worst offender, hated him since the first episode. Besides they made him ignorant to appear cute.