Are light novels holding anime back?

People complain about anime starting to be flooded by isekai transportation/reincarnation videogame world stories. And before that, magic academy battleharems, and before that urban fantasy. But all of these are light novel adaptations, and only reflect trends in light novel genres.

Most anons know that a lot of anime only exist as an advertisement for source light novels as part of a media mix strategy. A lot of the most garbage anime out there today are the ones adapted from light novels.

Go to any anime ranking list on MAL or AniDB or anywhere else. You'll find that the top rated anime are all original works, manga adaptations, or visual novel adaptations. It is only very rarely that a light novel adaptation appears.

Is it light novels that are causing anime to be so shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/10543126
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-23/.102406
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Theres plenty of good ln adaptations and shitload of bad manga/original animes.

Treating anime as a cash cow is holding anime back.

>cash cow
It's an advertisement, it doesn't have to make its own money. The franchise they it's part of (CDs, figmas, source material etc) is the cash cow.

>Theres plenty of good ln adaptations
Name five.

There are a small amount of LN adaptations compared to everything else per season. Just people making a big deal out of nothing again.

The LN adaptations are frequently the worst ones and the ones which are accused of being samey and tired.

FMP
Haruhi
Hyouka
Innou Battle
Hibike

What's holding back anime is recession. Ever since the end of the 90s, people had spent the savings of the war and electronic industry benefited the most. Making anime takes money. People don't work for free. Money needs to be made so anime is made to make money. BD don't sell much anymore so people bank on making ads for paper works.

LN don't hold anime back, LN actually allow more anime to be made. Quality isn't involved: LNs are actually saving the industry.

>Go to any anime ranking list on MAL or AniDB
How about you go there and stay?

>Hyouka
>Hibike
Not light novels

>only 1 or 2 LN adaptation each season
>ANIME IS DEAD. LNs KILLED FUCKING ANIME BAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW

Humanity Has Declined
Baccano

Okay guys rate these three below from best to worst
>urban fantasy
>magic academy/ highschool battleharems
>isekai

That exact order for me.

>Innou Battle
Really?
>Haruhi
Only the Disappearance. And Haruhi was the seed of the cancer that was the moe bubble so fuck her.

>Haruhi was the seed of the cancer that was the moe bubble so fuck her.
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

wew

>Most of every season are manga adaptations or original works
>LNs are the cancer killing anime

Again, the worst ones are frequently the LN adaptations.

So it's the usual case of "Japan has shit taste more news at 11".

All shit.

So i started reading LNs recently and it just dosent do. It keeps putting me off no matter how much i push myself to keep reading it. Animes and mangas are superior in that sense.

That said, isekai's could be a brilliant genre if done well. It offers a wide world and variety of elements to be taken advantage of and played around with, but most authors lack imagination and creativity so most storys end up being generic and boring. The most recent isekai that seems to be creative and slightly done right is re:zero because the author seems to know his shit to some deegre. Other battle isekais are fairly generic and overused such as battle > fail/win > train > battle > plot armor > win > rewarded with harem

>LNs are the cancer killing anime
this is pretty spot on. Anime used to be fun. It was either a original story or adaption that told more or less the whole story, but now its 12episode preview and go find out the rest in the LNs which is boring as fuck.

I just don't get light novels. I loved the Grimgar anime so I picked up the LN. The writing is absolute garbage. It's like something a high school kid would shit out. It makes me feel dumber just reading it. Light novel should be changed to Lazy Novel. Why are nips retarded inbreds who can't manage to read an actual fucking book like the rest of humanity?

It's the Jap equivalent of YA novels. They exist in the angloshpere too.

>high school kid

Most LNs actualy start out as web novel/phone novel thats written by young kids. You can see big diffrens in some novels written by older authors.

Manga adaptation are rarely complete. And anime originals tend to suck dick or promote toys.

This "ads for paper works" business model must be really successful, because it feels like the number of anime being produced is growing each season.

Did you read it in English? That's the most important part there.

>Innou Battle
That was such a mediocre series.
Also Konosuba and I don't care if Sup Forums is butthurt: Re:Zero.

Isekai, battle academy and harem aren't genres and have been overused cliches in every popular japanese medium for decades

There are maybe 5 actual decent VN adaptations that function by themselves and 10x as many LN ones

Anime hasn't been shit since around 2001, 2009 has been the only truly bad year since then and it still had Bake

Urban fantasy
Isekai
Magic Academy

Fuck battleharems so much. Nothing but trash.

Well, as much as Innou Battle was mediocre, the adaptation itself was very good.
Especially the
>I don't understand you
scene.

Slayers
Baccano
LOTGH
Log Horizon
Kino no tabi

>People complain about anime starting to be flooded by isekai
No I don't. I welcome our new isekai overlords with open arms. Japs have finally mastered and perfected escapism and you want me to complain? No fuck off pal.

I agree at least to that. Trigger made a fucking miracle.

YA is shitty but is still in book format. They at least try to make it novel-like, it's just the ideas that are simplistic. LN are just endless streams of dialogue, brief action description, and sound effects. It's like someone wrote a screenplay of an anime.

Who writes a fucking novel using their phone... Is it true japs can't into computer and don't know even how a word processor works? I thought they were supposed to be smart and technologically sophisticated.

I prefer the isekai shit over the battle haremshit. At least we got Konosuba, NGNL and Log horizon from the isekai side.

Inou battle was shit. Only worthwhile part was THAT scene because mad seiyuu skills.

Nice taste.

>Who writes a fucking novel using their phone...
No, user. They mean they write for the phone market. For people who read them using their phones. Japanese people read entire novels like that

>Who writes a fucking novel using their phone

its a pretty big thing in Japan. Alot of popular shows started that way.

I have never seen a LN adaptation that I could consider good.

>Who writes a fucking novel using their phone...
Someone who writes for people who read the 100 word chapter updates on their phone, e.g. on the train to school or work.

>most anime are manga adaptation
>"hurrrrr the model must be workin"
Listen to me you fucking twat. Anime has always been an advertisement industry, and it doesn't have to be paper stuff. Remember Pokemon, Ojamajo Doremi, DBZ, Gundam? ALL OF THOSE are ads for another thing. Pokemon it was videogames, Mahou Shoujo, it was either original work or goods, shounen as well and mecha is the worst fucking offender.

People need to make money. Not everything can be "art for intelligent people with my fedora-tipping inner self". The very line between art and entertainment is blurry as fuck.
Nips simply found an efficient model and it allows them to cover spendings while keeping a HUGE people employed AND entertained. Anime is viable in itself in Japan, that's why the industry still hasn't fallen apart.

Oh don't worry, I listen to classical music (especially recently), and get myself interested in science stuff. But just because you enjoy eating caviar and foie gras doesn't mean you can't eat a burger.

Actually Japan is decidedly backwards when it comes to adapting technology into everyday situations. Here's a good article that dives into it, but if you are interested just google "low tech japan"

bbc.com/news/10543126

LH season 1. It's legit good.

Phone novels as in novels meant for consumption on flip phones. And YA or french romans are as shitty as the LNs.
Then you have shit taste.

Fall 2016
Manga: 18
Original: 16
Game: 6
Light novel: 3
Novel: 2

Summer 2016
Manga: 20
Original: 8
Game: 6
Music: 2
Novel: 2
Light novel: 2
Visual novel: 1

how do we save anime?

I'll put it somewhere on the backlog.

Says the LN adaptation apologist.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-23/.102406

>According to a 2015 study by the Japanese Cabinet Office, only 30% of Japanese high schoolers use laptops, and only 16% use desktop computers.

>about 50% of Japanese households have a computer, but many people don't use them, or only use them for games or web browsing. The majority of Japanese students use the internet exclusively through cell phones.

>in high school, students only learn the most basic interactions with Microsoft Word and Excel. And since there is no daily use of this technology (virtually no classes outside of college require that papers be typed), anything learned in these classes is quickly forgotten.

>Parents, unaware that computer skills are increasingly necessary for employment, don't buy computers for their kids. It's sort of like where America was in the early 90s: computers are for the nerds.

>Schools that are run by less tech-savvy faculty also tend to pass on scare stories about bad things that happen online, and warn kids against exploring too much. The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) reported last September that of the 42 countries they surveyed for computer use in education, Japan was ranked second from the bottom.

>computer literacy among the youth of Japan is actually going down. One Tokyo-area government-funded tech cram school for high schoolers reported that many of their students didn't even really know how to use a physical keyboard.

>even some IT firms are reporting that new hires are unable to do simple things like compose an email or create a chart.

>Early computer systems really struggled with the difficulties of supporting the Japanese language, limiting their usefulness in the 80s and early 90s

>the computer was often seen as a solitary, antisocial activity -- something to be discouraged by parents, who lived in a world where getting ahead meant face-to-face communication and discussion.

I don't know what you are on about. You mentioned "recession" as a thing that holds anime back. All I am saying is that due to this business model, it looks as though the industry does quite well despite that, as the number of shows being produced each season seems to increase (that is not supposed to be a factual statement).

Replace Manga's with full LN adaptions not just 1 cours. VNs are dying anyway so let them die in peace.

I also happen to like the Kara no Kyoukai movies and Fate/Zero (I have the rest of TMshit) but if you're allergic to TM, you might not like those.

Type Moon is VNshit not LNshit though.

>Most
It's gotten more common in recent years I think. Before that to get published you had to win a contest or something, nowadays you can just pump out cookie cutter garbage on narou with as many clickbait elements as possible, get a buhmillion followers, and a publisher will pay you for your garbage.

Fate/Shit Night and Tsukihime are VN.
Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero are LN.

Ya learn something new every day.

>Tsukihime
There is no Tsukihime anime.

Isn't this how SAO started? I heard the author didnt win/forgot enter the contest to get published so he/she released the novel in his own web and suddenly exploded and became a gazillioner. Its not even that good.

IIRC SAO as a web novel was only noticed in the first place because the author's later work Accel World won a contest and got a publishing deal that way. And while they were at it, they decided "hey why not publish this older work by the Accel World author too?"

Reki Kawahara wrote the first volume in 2002 as a competition entry for ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Game Novel Prize (電撃ゲーム小説大賞 Dengeki Game Shōsetsu Taishō?, now Dengeki Novel Prize), but refrained from submitting it as he had exceeded the page limit. He instead published it as a web novel under the pseudonym Fumio Kunori. Over time, he added three further episodes and several short stories.

>In 2008, he participated in the competition again by writing Accel World, this time winning the Grand Prize. Aside from Accel World, he was requested to get his earlier work, Sword Art Online, published by ASCII Media Works. Kawahara agreed and withdrew his web novel versions.

Basically SAO got in by riding AW's coattails.

Is Accel World any good? Its the story with the chubby MC right?

>the difficulties of supporting the Japanese language

Seriously, they should ditch kanji and just use kana. What a stupid language. Flowery and beautiful but completely impractical.

I really can't understand how people live without a computer. I use my laptop for so much. Japan is really a strange country.

I can't help but be bitter and jealous.

>Seriously, they should ditch kanji and just use kana
Not really practical, writing would take up too much space, there are too many homophones, and if you actually read Japanese a very long stream of kana is actually harder to read than if it was broken up by kanji.

Not even Baccano?

This. Original anime needs to make a comeback.

Overall:
Urban Fantasy
Magic Academy
Isekai

My favorite LN is a Magic Academy though.

We had like 3 isekai LN this year and they were the better shows of their season.

Autists don't like the anime because the MC looks like a mascot character IRL and acts like a whiny bitch, but it has its moments

>Seriously, they should ditch kanji and just use kana.
You should ditch your life and just jump from a window. The mix of those 3 alphabets are what make Japanese a beautiful languagge.

It never stopped being a thing you retard.

I don't think it was bad but I wouldn't call it good either, if that makes any sense.

Not even Kino's Travels?

Found the EOP yatsu. Reading a kana only text is a pain in the ass, trust me. Kanji aren't the problem, reading them is. Just add furigana to everything, problem solved.

>This is one of the best LN adaptions to have run this year
>Relatively ignored on Sup Forums & in general
You reap what you sow, faggots.

Fuck isekai bullshit, what's wrong with a real fantasy world

the JRPG stats thing make me cringe too

Reading kana only is for retards anyway. Kanji are beautiful and are so much more efficient than western characters, why shouldn't we use them?

The character designs looked like a parody of how Japan portrays big nosed and thick lipped Caucasians in anime.

LOL just cos you're bad you blame the language クソワロタ

It was boring, everyone was remarkably immature despite being from a militaristic imperial state and they spent to much time jerking off the MC for having more common sense than everyone else.

>fucking shit
Maybe I should try reading LNs with google translate.

>not reading just manga and anime originals
Seasonalshitters are cancer

Adaptions in general are cancer, the source material is almost universally better.

Whether you're able to enjoy the source material properly is another thing altogether. There are way too many manga with shitty translations and typesetting out there.

>Manga adaptions are rarely complete
I'm reminded of my trauma back when Akame ga kill was airing....

This being the closest thing to an LN thread, I may as well post this here.

Whoever it is who keeps uploading Kindle rips of Yen Press novels to the sekrit klub, could you please pick a source to rip from other than Kindle?

Kindle is pretty much the only source that deliberately murders image quality. Pick Google Play Books or Kobo or something that actually allows a publisher to save the images in the original non downscaled resolution, and with JPG quality 98 instead of 40.

Anyone reading Yahari?
Q: Should i skip some vol. that the anime covered?

No, Yahari is actually better as a LN. Having access to 8man's thinking makes the plot make a fuck tonne more sense.

Plus little details like how Iroha and the imouto are similiar and more Saki make it better.

go post an LN thread in /jp/

Are Kyakka translations sufficiently competent?

>anime is shit because things I happened to like doesn't sell and therefore not being produced
Deal with it.

but its boring that i know what will come

Isekai only took off in the past year, there are tons of young isekai novels right now which are waiting for more volumes so you will see the isekai anime boom in about 2 years.
Screencap this.

35th test platoon trys to hard to be edgy tho. But its a finished story and 12/13 volumes are translated so its not bad overall. But then again edgy'ness is of the roofdemon sister with tragic background that has a oniisan complex and brainwashed to destroy the world

It has its moments tho

Those seem like valid complaints a non-autistic person would have

If that is so, people/nips should put money where their mouth is, so that quality mangos like Boruto: The Last Ninja-slayer-san would get an animu.

>OP dont know isekai are 300 years old

>Moe rori shit
Monkey Isle would make a better isekai animu.

>2016
Manga: 42%
Original: 24%
Game: 14%
LN: 10%
Novel: 4%
Other: 4%
VN: 2%

>2015
Manga: 39%
Original: 27%
LN: 18%