Re:Zero

The first half of the series was pretty good imo (EP 1-12). But EP13 is where I notice things starting to go downhill. Why does Subaru become so idiotic? I honestly have no idea what the director was thinking - completely nullifying his collective character development up until now.

Nice screenshot.

Keep watching and then read the novels at translator chicken's website to know what really happens at the end of episode 25

>what really happens

Just tl;dr us you twat. You should know everyone who watches anime is too lazy and/or not interested in reading black and white shit.

thanks

Because he really didn't move past his biggest flaw. This is supposed to be his low point.

The end where Subaru confesses to half elf isnt technically the end of that arc. Rem and Crusch are heavily injured from fighting two archbishops that appear (this is after Subaru makes his gay little Im your hero speech to Rem and leave and around the same time that Subaru is fighting Betelgeuse). Crusch loses her memories and Rem is left comatose which Subaru later finds out. Also, everyone loses their memories of Rem except for Subaru. The following arcs that the author has written so far involves Subaru trying to heal Rem and bring her back intact.

His biggest flaw that is?

>I don't understand the director

>what really happens

It gets better at around 18, but honestly those 5 episode were completely unnecessary. His biggest flaw in those episodes was being retarded, not "being nice but in a roundabout selfish way" which seemed to be what they were going for.

I wish people would stop making threads about episodes when they're half way through a completed series.

Did you watch episode 18? Or the scene in the OP? He's hollow because of his recluse loser life and sought his own gratification above all else.

There was also the angle that he had no skills to help his friends with even with the time looping. Because holing up in your room all day and skipping school won't leave you with the skills required to deal with the real world let alone a life or death fantasy one.

Can someone explain to me what Emilia is thinking?

From her perspective:

>Subaru shows up, immediately figures out where the thief is, and manages to locate her extremely valuable brooch while taking only some healable damage.
>Within the next 3 days, (while recovering) he manages to to immediately and actively deal with an external threat that threatened the lives of hundreds while getting both maids to fall in love with him

>Then, after kind of acting like an idiot once at court, she sees him as some kind of incompetent, embarrassing liability.

From her perspective he is essentially Galahad. We know how stupid he is, but really she has no reason have a low opinion of him whatsoever.

>both maids to fall in love with him

Ram isnt interested in him like that.

And you're right about Emilia. It strengthens the argument of Rem being best girl over her since Emilia doesnt have faith in Subaru like Rem does - who knows that Subaru is lying about some stuff and that he cant talk about his Return by death ability but she has faith in him regardless.

>fictional character
>thinking

>Character is established and developed in a certain way
>Sudden plot twist: The character lies to himself and is an hypocrite even though there was no sign of it whatsoever before that point
>For some reason, the viewers were expected to know this and this is considered "character development". Weaboos on myanimelist praise it as the second coming.
>Every shitty anime ever

He was acting like an absolute idiot at what would be one of the most crucial moments of her life, not to mention his unusual interest towards her during the aforementioned events.

It's an implication of thought, not a literal statement. Don't take it too seriously.

>Is completely stupid and horrible at using his power
>Cries to Rem about how he just can't do it, he can't handle all this shit, how he has "tried everything" which is like 2 things.
>Gets pep talk from Rem
>Immediately has all the answers, just knows what to do now, doesn't even die several times and try various things, just fucking knows exactly how to win

Oh okay

It's almost as if he's human and can feel depressed and discouraged like anyone else!

Aw shit I didn't know that if I got encouraged I would gain the ability to see the future and know everything!

He took the words from Crusch and Anastasia to heart in that one failed loop and just did what they told him he should have done. If you want extra pacing breaking loops there's always the rough draft as fuck Web Novel.

Quite literally his power at a price.

Biggest mistake in this entire series was mishandling return by death. Its obviously a power best used for datamining through a high number of repetitions.

I know the author intorduces a plot device to make this bad, but its just no fun when the MC isn't going to abuse his respawn ability.

You're thinking like Subaru is desu.

>knew none of that shit in the first loop
>he was quite literally some rando who claimed to be buying back her amulet for her
>shielded her at the right moment against Elsa, but Reinhardt did all the work otherwise
>uses his reward to become a servant
>starts breaking down on his second or third day of work
>somehow knows about suspicious activity in the village
>gets chewed on by dogs
>(Emilia learns about the following later)
>follows Ram into the forest to deal with Rem
>Roswaal comes back and does all the work
>he just called attention to the problem and put Rem on the path to valuing her life outside of being a Ram wannabe (something not related to Emilia)
>also only Rem loves him

now recently
>clearly has no idea about the politics in this world
>is only coming along to see cat trap doctor
>nearly falls out of carriage due to goofing off (is part of a full chapter, he almost fucking dies)
>wanders off to dick around with Priscilla after you give him shit not to wander off
>after these two incidents you tell him he can't come to the castle and there's not reason for him to be there
>he does it anyway even when you tell him no
>makes a big scene in front of everyone
>worst case scenario of him coming along happens

Gee, I wonder.

But he didn't? His goal was to stop the Witch Cult and if you account for that he had to die to solve that even after the whale. He also knew from earlier loops that the faction he was staying with was going to hunt the whale but didn't have the one piece of info he had to die for. Why do these greentexter critics suck at watching shows?

Despite being blatantly obvious, they want the audience to refrain from thinking of that ideal. Imagine the pain of literally dying just to find out what clothes Emilia wears on the date. Ironically, it would be absolutely no fun if the MC abuses the respawn ability.

He was always doing everything for himself and nobody else. That's his lowest point and then he changes due to it, it's a character arc.

watched it with my gf and we argued about rem vs emilia. I prefer rem, emilia looks like a cold fucking bitch who will never suck a cock. i bet rem could swallow all day long with a smile on her face.
who do you prefer?

Arc after the anime explores this. Every time he goes meta in some way it ends up straining the relationships of those around him and there's an AU where signing a deal with the devil (Echidna specifically) has made him nigh sociopathic and ultra perfectionist. It's a soft bad end because in a lot of ways he does succeed, but it's another story for those around him and he's not really ever going to be happy. It's kind of a middle a finger to taking the power too far.

I'd imagine one can become fairly proficient at painless means of death when you get multiple attempts. A swan dive from a tower would probably be relatively painless. Not to mention he dies painlessly in his sleep, something which is totally manageable if he used poison. But I get that the author just didn't want to do this.

I disagree about it being more fun this way. As it stands, it just feels like a generic action fantasy except subaru gets a few more goes at it than the average NEET. Its much more fun to see a character use his power to come up with a novel solution, more practical/interesting than you would have been able to. Something like Liar Game, wherein you know the character will win, but are intrigued by how he will do it. As it stands, I know Subaru will win most of the time, and how it does it is dull.

Absolutely true.

Well phrased.

I have the same.
I prefer Rem, my gf prefers Emilai ( because durr long hair ), but since she's not at episode 15 yet she has'nt gotten the feels bomb yet.

She'll cosplay Rem soon enough

I'm gonna cosplay Ferris

are you a boy(girl) or a girl(boy)

Boy(girl)
But I'll cosplay the Knight uniform not the dress

It's a hard balancing act because you could just cut out dying as the trigger altogether at that point if it were that kind of looper story. Making death the trigger was pretty intentional and that's to make it as unpleasant and involuntary as possible. He doesn't even manage his "savepoints" and he got dicked over by an updated savepoint right when arc 3 ended. The story tries not treat it as a fun thing and it caused him a lot of grief in another often overlooked way. His angst in the early part of arc 2 was due to Ram and Rem not remembering him anymore. It's unfortunately not like groundhog day where you live out the same 24 hours but often 72 or more. With no fast forwards. Looking back on it a lot of the mansion arc was an extreme scenario of not being able to set the same social flags you did the first time around and it only getting worse from there. It's all a matter of taste though but I can see what the story was going for.

Wait no sorry I bit my tongue: girl(boy)

Agree, in first 12 eps hes just over his head, but hes not mentally retarded.
But from then on he gets ether stupid or smart depending on what the plot demands from him

Also i hate how it goes forma mystery series to some fgrand overwarching plot nobody could give 2 shits about

>This is supposed to be his low point.
funny, i would think the series low point was the whale fight
Subaru goes form an incompetent clown into a veteran warrior in half a day

Emilia is so much better than Rem it's not even funny.

>The MC is called Natsuki
>The author is called Nagatsuki
How much self insert can you possibly get?

Is this the Re:Zero thread?

I guess for now.

Was it really veteran warrior? He's already shown he can be pretty handy in a difficult moment with how he dealt with Elsa and saving Rem. All he did in the Whale fight was ride behind Rem while he pulled the whale. He also kept the momentum going when the whale started psychically attacking everyone, and (I honestly can't remember if this was even him or not) figured out that the whale's real body was the one not attacking them.

There's also the whole thing with the ice pillar and jumping onto the whale's horn, which was admittedly ridiculously dangerous and difficult to pull off, so that was a little hard to accept, but the fact that he would risk something like that isn't out of character, and I don't think he showed any special skills during the battle, just kept a focused mind, driven by a desire not to mess up again, and his motivation boost from Rem.

Post pics

>authors favorite girl is Emilia
>her only flaws are a coincidental resemblance and naivety

>Why does Subaru become so idiotic
People being different and reacting different ways don't mean they are 'idiotic'. I dare you to suffer even the half he has suffered and react the 'smartest' way ever.

>But EP13 is where I notice things starting to go downhill.
I agree, and that's mainly because the pacing slowed to a crawl. It picked up for a bit by about episode 15, but what really killed me was the stereotypical 'happy ending'. What a missed opportunity.
>Why does Subaru become so idiotic?
Of all the complaints...
Every time he managed to reach the next checkpoint it was by being ruthlessly proactive. No surprise to me that acting in that fashion had become somewhat ingrained in him by that point, for better or for worse.

Mayonnaise.

He can't abuse his power if he wants to save his friend, Sattela only cares about him, if he ever manages to get in a situation where he is completely out of danger while his friends are screwed chances are that the save point will change. Exactly what happened to Rem.

Just because Subaru saved her life and can solve some problems doesn't mean that he didn't literally fuck up everything politically related.

The entire point of that segment was showing that Subaru's over-inflated ego and pride wasn't a good thing. Seems like you missed the point completely.

Are you seriously arguing that the choreography of the whale fight was consistent with the narrative 2 episodes ago about how Subaru is a worthless shitter with 0 skills?

The author essentially rewards him and punishes him with plot armor/temporary mental retardation for going through the pointless, dramatic, armchair-psychology throes of that "character arc".

The director is just following the source material dumbass.

I'm saying that his behavior in the whale fight is consistent with his behavior in the Elsa fight and Mabeast fight, or at least in parts of both.

When Subaru is confident and focused, he's actually pretty good at handling things. He's still got a lot to learn, there's a ton he can't do, and he's absolutely horrible when he starts having moments of extreme pride or despair, but it's not like he did much in the whale fight beyond running around and helping keep people focused from time to time.

He isn't worthless, his description of himself back then wasn't accurate, he has awesome moments where he's the hero who helped Rem, but he also has horrible moments where he's the way he was in episodes 16 and 17 (and a few others). It was just about getting him back into his more awesome mode, and giving him the tools he needed to succeed, which he had by that point through what information he had learned in his previous failures.

I don't really have anything to say about the reward/punishment of plot armor/idiot ball. His behavior, even if completely horrible at times, all made sense to me. I could at the very least understand how the things that happened to him led to the actions and mentality he took from them.

>phone poster watching stream
lol. just kill yourself.

>watching anime on cellphone

Get the fuck out of Sup Forums. Fucking cancer.

If it is is it okay to talk about the series beyond episode 25?

Yes

Is this the new thinly veiled RZ thread to dodge translationonlyfags?

I know right! Just imagine dying again and having Rem confess to you again! Its like everything will never be the same as the initial!

I was guessing this is the thinly veiled Re:Zero thread to dodge autism user

If we are, just how broken is this man after losing Rem Sup Forums? It must suck getting fucked over by the checkpoint system.

What's your favorite moment?

Beetlejuice getting cuck'd was funny as hell.

Nah, he just drops her corpse off at the mansion and then immediately abandons her to go be with emilia some more.

If only that were true

Opposite, it picked up latter half. Subaru's retardation was good writing that people struggle to grasp, as they're not used to it.

Sucks for you but his sex drive dies along with Rem. So much so he can no longer or look forward to any romantic relationship until she comes back. Also memeflirting doesn't count as we all know most of that his him wrapping shit up with lies.

It is true. I saw the translation.

He dumps her off with petra at the mansion then hops in a carriage with emilia to go hang out at the sancturary.

His Sex drive took a massive hit with Rem's death.

His Sex drive died after he got tricked by the with of lust and discovered that Emilia had the emotional maturity of a 10 year old.

>Witch of Lust shows up
>I'm gonna show you what you desire msot in the word
>Ends up nearly being pummeled

Its fun seeing him triggered sometimes. Sucks Subaru never went through with it because Greed showed up.

We're 58 chapters in an I'm seeing none of that. Its more accurate that Subaru ditched Emilia to talk to Echidna.

He went from

>With Rem, he felt fondness toward a fellow coworker. He still didn’t really know how he felt toward Emilia.

To this

>Because the girl that loves me, the girl that I love back, the girl that affectionately provides me love—-the girl that is harder on me more than any other person in the world, the girl that doesn’t let me off easily, that girl is the real Rem!

The sad part was that half the time in between was spent with her in a coma.

>(this is after Subaru makes his gay little Im your hero speech to Rem
Technically, it's after he confesses his love to Rem when she pranks him, but they didn't want to show us that scene for some reason.

Its obvious that Whitefox didn't want to commit to a season 2 and wanted to play safe. If there ever will be a season 2 they will need to do some massive backpedaling.

Subaru is an unconfident shut-in, so, above all else, he seeks gratification from others, especially Emilia. This gets painfully obvious when he declares himself Emilia's knight during the ceremony, oblivious to the fact that he just made a complete ass out of himself and, by extend, Emilia.
Whether Emilia would state this so blatantly without the timeline where she saved Subaru from the Murderhobos is something I'd find interesting to know, though.

A tragic ending is still a motherfucking ending. Why not end the story the way it began? The epilogue worked perfectly because it brings everything full circle by shitting on Subaru's expectations for a fantasy world by depriving him of his perfect fairy tale ending.

>1536x2048
lel

Because they probably didn't want to send the anime-only fanbase into a spiraling depression.

EVEN IN WINTER, FERRI WILL BE WARM

If you wanted to be warm why don't you go back to your basement where you keep Fourier's dead body?

He only had the rough plan of being a decoy for the whale. He brought along the right people to make it work. Same with Betelgeuse. Subaru's knowledge of future events and the fact that he can relive situations makes him a pretty damn good diplomat.

DO NOT TALK TO FERRI LIKE THAT

>she saved Subaru from the Murderhobos
Chin has never stabbed a man before in his life. He just uses the dagger for intimidation purposes. He freaked out in the timeline where Subaru walked into his knife, because they aren't actually murderers at all. Emilia saved him from getting beaten up for being an idiot. Felt's a good-natured enough person, and familiar with local criminals, so she probably knew they wouldn't kill him.
Spiraling depression is how you get famous.

Do we see anymore of those three stooges? Last I heard they were fighting the Witch Cult.

All Subaru is really good for is dying and resetting until he figures out how to bring the solution to the problem.

As far as the anime goes the only time he himself was the solution was when he managed to get rem to start her time again or some BS like that.

Because at the end of the day, Subaru is a selfish cunt who's doing everything to make himself feel good. That's exactly why he proclaims himself as Emilia's knight, acts the way he does in your picture, and so on.

On the other hand, he is also somewhat justified in his rant from your pic. He's been gouged, disemboweled, and gone through hideous torture even from Rem, yet no one knows of it (and thus does to show him gratitude for it). To compound on this, Emilia is a fucking dense airhead since she does nothing to comfort him or help him out. All she does it spout "Durr Toyota I can't help you if you don't say what the problem is". Rem on the other hand told him that even if he can't explain what's causing him pain and suffering, she'll always be there to comfort him.

What I want to know is why everyone is fucking stupid and hasn't made a connection with the stench of the witch yet. Rem even pointed out he seems to reek of it when he's feeling really bummed (AKA when he's just gotten reset), yet no one investigates this further.

>Chin has never stabbed a man before in his life. He just uses the dagger for intimidation purposes. He freaked out in the timeline where Subaru walked into his knife, because they aren't actually murderers at all. Emilia saved him from getting beaten up for being an idiot. Felt's a good-natured enough person, and familiar with local criminals, so she probably knew they wouldn't kill him.
Wow, calm down there, Regulus, it was just a hyperbolic use of a D&D term.

>All Subaru is really good for is dying and resetting until he figures out how to bring the solution to the problem.
Exactly this. Until later into the WN, that's really his only worth.

Some loops should stay permanent and you never know which ones are. Plus alienating yourself to think of everyone as a set piece to datamine is probably the most soul crushing experience to ever witness. The Echidna AU is exactly that.

Nah, I find Emilia boring and I still think she was in the right when she left him. Rewatch only the episodes containing the final loop and you'll see that a lot of the character building moments between the two were lost. Meanwhile episode 11 stayed, so Rem has a reason for blindly loving him. He told her that he doesn't know about her past and doesn't care regardless, so when it came time for her to comfort him she does the same to him.

They are under Felt's party being trained by Reinhardt to combat the cult, yes. We don't know what's happening to them in arc 6 considering that Subaru is kinda stuck in his tower.

Rem and Emilia are unironically the two least interesting girls in the show.

I suppose, but it doesn't change the fact that Emilia is a faggot. The entire show/WN would be better off without her. Her entire repertoire is

>look I'm cute
>and I have this cat spirit with me (who is a giant douche who will destroy the world in a temper tantrum too)
>and I'm dense as fuck

Emilia has been saved multiple times by Subaru even in the final loop, yet she does bumfuck nothing to show gratitude. Rem on the other hand wants his babies for saving her.

>Rem even pointed out he seems to reek of it when he's feeling really bummed (AKA when he's just gotten reset), yet no one investigates this further.
Rem is one of the few people who can sense it, and I don't think she wants to investigate further. Associates of the Witch Cult are kill-on-sight, and Crusche already pointed out the most rational assumption to make regarding Subaru's past. I'm pretty sure Rem damned well knows he's bewitched in some way. Their conversations actually make me think Rem was trying to bring up the subject indirectly and talk around it, because it's not something that could be discussed openly.

Wasn't Beatrice the one who thought he was suspicious because of the witch aura? Or am I misremembering

>yet she does bumfuck nothing to show gratitude
She tried to get him healed and gave him a lap pillow and a place to stay.

No because Beatrice is a daughter of a Witch

Rem killed him once, tried interrogating him another time, and was planning to run him off in the final loop before the dog shit came up. Beatrice doesn't care so much about the scent, probably because she knows about the Witches other than Envy.

Okay as much as I dislike Emilia that's going too far. She did show him gratitude and thanked him for it but nothing more than that.