What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Shotas, mainly. But also contributed: animating the second instead of the first LN, replacing half of the anime cast with new guys, the whole thing being completely disconnected from the sequel anime (which is what most people wanted to see/expected), and last but not least, KyoAni expecting record sales and promoting it accordingly.

They pretty much alienated the entire fanbase for a year and a half. Fujoshi latched onto this series initially for the muscles. It would have been better if they animated two series recap movies while working on a true sequel. This movie doesn't have continuity with the novels, which in itself is fine I guess, but it also ruins continuity with the anime. I don't know what they were thinking.

I would have taken cute boys doing cute things in Australia movie (a la K-ON!!) over this.

>Alienated demographic for shotashit
>Alienated long time fans by shafting majority of main cast
>New characters aren't memorable enough to justify it
>Altered storyline that fits neither the novels nor the anime continuity
>Scenography and music isn't even above par for Kyoani films
>Kyoani overestimated sales

It literally killed the franchise and I'm surprised Kyoani still wants to milk for more next year. Fujos are fickle and very much moved on.

Starting Days killed Free! YOI buried it into the ground. I don't even watch YOI, but a canon kiss between the two main boys in a well animated sport anime? And they're not underage b& ? Free! could never compete with that.

Well, actually, they could easily compete if they went full homo with either rinharu, or makoharu. Kyoani think it's still 2013. Pandering isn't enough anymore. We are in an era where ships that people don't expect in a million years to be confirmed are actually happening. They need to get with the times.

Nothing went wrong, this raspberry is perfection.

If nothing went wrong there would still be endless Free! threads. Just like in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Hell there's even a sequel project announced finally and, nothing. No one has juice for real threads anymore. The handful of ghost posters don't count.

>well animated
I like YOI but let's not pretend it isn't full of QUALITY

I'm just going to say it. If Utsumi had directed, it would have been a hit. She always finds a way to get people watching, and get people talking.

Nothing.

They would talk about how shit and Rin-biased it was, so yeah I agree for the most part.

WARNING! Carry on reading! Or you will die, even if you only looked at the word warning! Once there was a little girl called Clarissa, she was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital, because she killed her mom and her dad. She got so bad she went to kill all the staff in the hospital so the More-government decided that best idea was to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her, as humane as possible but it went wrong the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agony for hours until she died. Now every week on the day of her death she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a Monday night at 12:00 a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death. Now send this to ten other pictures on this one site, and she will haunt someone else who doesn't. This isn't fake. apparently, if you copy and paste this to ten comments in the next ten minutes you will have the best day of your life tomorrow.You will either get kissed or asked out, if you break this chain u will see a little dead girls

i wanna fug the brocon shota

It actually grossed more than Kizu P2.

The LN was shit, the shotas are boring characters, there's none of the characters people were previously invested in, and no one cares about prequels. It should have been the original 5 as shotas or a movie set right after season 2 showing them growing up and moving on.
They missed the boat now, too, since all Freefags and fujos have moved onto YOI because it has a canon, not dramatic gay relationship and Kyoani doesn't have the balls to go there.

I think it's too early to tell if YOI will replace Free

It already did. Yuri on Ice is much bigger than Free was when it was airing, and it's probably going to sell more.

Nothing.

Not after this last episode. It might have had a slow start in terms of BD sales, but merch sales have more than made up for it and now that there's an official kissu, fujos will be buying the BDs in droves.
Kyoani had a good thing going with Free, but between Haikyuu and YOI the core fanbase has moved on and won't come back unless Rin, Haru etc are back together.

What went wrong with Free? Two things:
(((Them))) and you. (((They))) know you eat this shit up like it's candy because you're a standardless swine who nobody loves. Free started it. And now it has gotten significantly worse with YoI. Faggotry should no longer be promoted in the anime industry. It will spread into real life, AIDS will be a global epidemic like no other since the 80's, and it will all be because you just can't resist those non existent hotties who are liek sooooooo gay for each other. You are cancer. Fuck you.

>official kiss

Either I watched the wrong version or you're bullshitting. If you're talking about the hug, the arm covers their faces and you can't really see if they kissed or not, literal yaoi bait.

Kumo confirmed it was a kiss on her twitter.

b8 post

Stay salty, hetfag.

I don't lurk YoI threads so I'm not aware of these epic meems.

>her twitter
>HER
Of course. Women should NEVER write for anime.
DIE CANCER.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I don't give a fuck about shotas. Half-naked muscular boys were 95% of the draw. I haven't even watched the movie but if they kept the same VA's as when they were older teenagers then it's probably awkward.

They could have shown pro swimmer Haru and Nagisa and Rei leading the new Iwatobi club, but instead we had to go back and add some new fags and get rid of half the original cast.

How could they not tell this was a bad idea?

CANON

>canon
U wot mate? There's nothing canon in Free! except Haru's weird fixation with pools of water.

FAGGOTS
UTTER
DISGUSTING
FAGGOTS

I wouldn't mind YoI blowing Free the fuck out if it wasn't for the fact that the production has been fucking abysmal. At least I can respect KyoAni for caring about their show.

I think even KyoAni would have been challenged with the sheer amount of different skating choreography that's needed for each episode.

I guess I'll just wait the BDs.
I dropped YOI for a while because of Mappa's shitty ice skating animations. It's nowhere near episode 1 levels.

More than half of the skating scenes are reused.

Kigami mentioned a while back that animating sign language was a challenge for him so I wonder how hard ice skating would be.

Because no one read the light novel to be invested enough in the new characters, and no one cares about the things that happened without the 5 of them as a group.
Fans got shitty that suddenly Rin had his own foursome in season 2, I have no idea why KyoAni thought removing him and the others completely would sell.

>more than half
Only Yuri's, and the animation gets tweaked every episode.

Yuri on ice feels cheap compared to Free. The worst characters get the most screen time and their relationship is gonna unrealistic.

It did end up selling pretty well.

Drawing hands is one of the hardest things to do. And Yuri on Ice 'references' 3D animation and actual footage, and when I say reference I mean pretty much rotoscopping but a bit more lose.

THEY'RE BOTH SHIT BUT YOI IS WORSE

IF FOR THE FACT ALONE THAT ALL OF THE CHARACTERS except for oh God no what is happening to me ARE LIFELESS CARDBOARD CUTOUTS. UNINTERESTING AS FUCK. LIKE MAKOTO AND HARUKA.

ok go away retard

I believe in the BDs
Forced meme is forced. Go back to the other YOI thread to shitpost.

>and no one cares about the things that happened without the 5 of them as a group.
>Fans got shitty that suddenly Rin had his own foursome in season 2

Nah, the nip were happy with the new groups formed in ES that why they keep making new merch with them. As for HS, yes that was a mistake, the nips don't hate the new characters but they're not really popular.

I think character design in Yuri on ice is better but Free has Rin who is my husbando, but overall YOI has more cuteboys

THIS ISN'T A MEME YOU FUCKING DIP

IT'S REAL

THIS FAG CANCER IS REAL AND IT'S HAPPENING

when will you finally kill yourself

They accepted it now but I remember at the time there were grumblings about it because everyone expected Rin+Iwatobi to hang out.

I'm actually surprised it took this long someone to figure out that sports anime is a perfect way to milk the fujobucks.

Free! had it's glory days so I'd say it was a success for what it was, but it will never be able to compete again with it's fujobait now that YOI has surpassed being mere bait.

>I think character design in Yuri on ice is better
Easily. Free's designs are the worst KyoAni's ever done.

Fag cancer? Sign me up!

RIGHT AFTER ALL FAGGOTS HAVE BEEN ELECTRO SHOCKED BACK INTO NORMALITY.
NO YOU SHIT DICK. BEING A FAGGOT IS CANCER.

>They accepted it now but I remember at the time there were grumblings about it because everyone expected Rin+Iwatobi to hang out.

The nips complained? I don't think so, Samezuka was too popular.

I was happy too. Rin felt so out of place with the group merch during S1, I remember I was surprised that he didn't transferred to Iwatobi by the end of it. I was glad he finally got friends at Samezuka for S2.

Those retards didn't read the interviews where they said Rin would focus on his own team.

I think it already has, which is impressive. Free! had kyoani name behind it but YOI was able to rise from almost nothing into what it is now.

Yep, the nips were really happy about Rin reuniting with his best-friend too. If anything they were unhappy about the ending.

YOU'RE WAKING UP AND REALIZING WHAT A DETRIMENT TO SOCIETY YOU ARE ALREADY

GOOD

KEEP IT UP AND YOU'LL BE HETERO IN NO TIME

Unhappy about the ending because?

Only western fans were grumbling about that, and Kyoani doesn't care about them. Nips liked Samezuka.

I don't remember that. We had buttahbros for chapter 3, so I don't see how someone could complain about Rin ignoring Iwatobi.

They disliked the non-ending for Rin's best-friend who they liked.

This is fujobait at it's worst. Make them shotas so their innocence immunes them from actual commitment.

It would have meant more if this happened after they graduated and were adults, but not when they were shotas prior to all the drama Rin brought back with him.

ignore that autist, he'll kill himself in no time.

Sucks to be them, my married couple got a great ending.

Rei had one minute of screentime

It's a good thing the characters and soundtrack are so good, the skating animation is unforgivable. Though I guess they are really pressed for time.

Hopefully it will be fixed because of all the money people fujos are putting into it.

Ah yes I remember now. Yeah the ending was a bit shit. Is Kyoani planning another movie?

Ah, yeah. I want some happy resolution for Sosuke too. Hopefully, the new anime.

They should have go with him becoming a coach. It was pretty much set up with all that Nitori training.

I didn't say they were unhappy about that part of the ending.

I was happy it ended with Rin and Hari competing professionally.

>no thread for Makoto's birthday
;_;

>being a Rinharufag is suffering

There was, you just missed it.

Is YOI selling well?

Worst girl EVER
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT FAGGOT
ALL
YOUR
FAULT

Why so sensitive, the topic wasn't even about Makoto or Haru's ending.

Yes

See

Oh god, the early official art was unintentionally hilarious in retrospect. It was mostly just Rin just glaring at Iwatobi from the background.

Samezuka getting enough characters to mirror Iwatobi was a much welcome addition.

>Is Kyoani planning another movie?
"New animated project". It's all we know. Could be a series, movie, or OVA.

As a Makotofag, I had a personal celebration at home during dinner. After that, I lamented the wet figure paint job for a while and then went to bed.

Free! is a show for healthy heterosexual men.

YOI is for fucking faggots.

Yeah. My favorite is probably this one. It's like they just crossed paths in the street and Iwatobi completely ignored him. and he looks so hurt about it.

>Could be a series, movie, or OVA.
Do we even know if the cast stays? I hope they don't go HS levels of retardation and replace it.

Well if they want to completely destroy the remaining fanbase they can go right ahead without learning anything from their blunder and fuck up again.

KyoAni should stick with what they're good at - SOL shoujo. It'll take a lot to get Free! back to where it was, if it ever does.

Going full homo with any Haru pairing is a recepie for disaster. If they canonize RinHaru, the MakoHaru fags will scream, and if they go with MakoHaru, the RinHaru fags will throw a fit. Their best bet would be to go full homo with Rei and Nagisa, since they're joined at the hip anyway and nobody's really invested in them as characters enough to give a shit what happens to them.

At the very least, we know that Haru will be in it, since Shimazaki posted something on Twitter about playing Haru "a little bit longer."

*recipe

Shit, I'm tired.

I thought it was already neatly settled as MakoHaru and SouRin, seeing as SouRin became exceedingly popular in it's prime.

Pretty much, base on the merch and the fact they went so hard the HS movie with MakoHaru.

Nope, there's still a really large crowd of HaruRin loyalists
Including myself ;_;

However "large" it is, it still very much smaller than Makoharu and Sourin.

Since no one gives a shit about them, canonizing them wouldn't do shit.

This is probably one of the reasons YOI is doing so well, there isn't a huge split between couples.
>fujos ship everything