Memes aside, is yuri on ice actually good?

memes aside, is yuri on ice actually good?
saw some webms of subpar animation and I don't get why it's so popular.

watch it and find out

Just the fujo flavor of the month

first couple episodes were but now it's pretty weak. Yuri's hangup of the week then him doing really well, useless side character skaters with spaghetti men animation during the competitions, toss in some gay shit and there you go. Cool concept but I would just wait for BDs, it's just too fucking ugly and this middle competition shit is too uninteresting to keep watching per week.

Popular because they didn't outright say it was homo from the begining and instead tease the audience and let it build up. This build up leads to fujos wetting themselves and hashing out cash. Homo done right.

Other than that, it's a sports anime that doesn't take place in high school. That alone is a plus. Too bad the animation drops after first ep.

i like but it really does push how much it can get away with every episode

>Too bad the animation drops after first ep.
Yes this is my one big complaint. Hopefully BDs get better.

>I don't get why it's so popular
CANON
HOMO

This show gave use Gopnik. It is a gift from the gods for that alone.

>I don't get why it's so popular.

Too bad he always gets overshadowed by the main pairing. l'd watch an entire season about him.

It's popular because it's gay. No further explanation is required.

I will never get people associating animation quality with overall quality. It could be the deepest, most well written story ever, and you'd dismiss it based on the fact that a small studio doesn't have the time or money for perfect animation?

Anyway, it's not the deepest, most well written story ever but it's still funny and cute with good characterization. They're pretty much doing everything right to hook their fujo audience except the animation.

You guys didn't even like him until episode 6. You're all just a bunch of fickle whores who will soon move to the next flavor of the week.

l've loved him since the first frame l saw of him in like episode 2.

That's what a second season should be forget about the BaldFat and have a whole show dedicated to Georgi trying to find love. And once he find the right woman for him that's when he wins the GPX.

l'd rather he hijack BaldFat.

Didn't like him because of his looks. Then we saw his personality and it made up for it. It can't be helped.

Thanks, now I have to watch this another 10 times.

>memes aside
You ask too much.

If you are not homophobic you gonna enjoy it.

The MC development through ice skating is the main plot and at the same time he seems to be developing a relationship with another MC.

The insights of failures, anxiety, dreams, age crisis, life goals are pretty relatable with everyone at their 20s, despite being an athlete or not.

Try two eps at least and see what you think.

If they wanted fujos they would have labeled it BL in the very first place IMO

How are the female characters and skaters?

Free space should've been Yuriofag bitching about something, otherwise good job.

The female characters are pretty good but they get very little screen time. I hope Sayo Yamamoto's next series has female mains again

No female skaters because its an anime about men's figure skating. The female characters that are there are amazing though.

>No protecting Taco's smile meme
Other than that, good job and thank you user.

BL is shit and limited by genre conventions, fujos know it and gravitate towards bait as a result. This is 100% aimed at them in every way but has a enough integrity to be a story that happens to have a gay couple instead of being a story solely about a gay couple.

>2 memes l kind of started in the bingo
l feel honored.

I'm so glad he became meme and we can still post about him.

My alcohol intake has increased considerably because of YoI. Thanks, motherfuckers.

>Yuriofag bitching

I'm not sure if you're talking about actual Yuriofags bitching.
Or that user that comes out of nowhere to post "it's the yuriofags"

But have a fairy.

Both can apply.

I had quite a few I wanted to add in there, but in the whole context of making a bingo card I didn't think it fit.

I originally had
>balds poodle farm
>tacoburger is RIP
>gtfo /u/
and a few other gay-related ones

oh nice, which ones?

It's my favorite show of the season, and I'm not even gay.

>dubs for Georgi
and
>Gopnik x Mila

Was Touken Ranbu too japanese for western fujoshit to cling onto? It feels like it's getting far less attention than YoI but it was one of the most hyped for fujoshi.

Muh representation and Muh real gays is a plus for western fujo

If you aren't there 99% for the characters and their gayness, then you probably won't get much out of it aside from maybe the first episode.

Pretty much every routine is either copied from an earlier episode, and/or it has awfully off model spaghetti limbed animation.

Maybe the BD's might help fix it, but yeah, at this point, I wouldn't recommend staying around for anything other than gayboys.

Constant stream of fanservice for the landwhales.
For everyone else the characters are likable and it's got a great soundtrack. Kinda generic sports story except on a pro level instead of high-school.

Lots of recycled animation and the skating animation is awful most of the time, but you can at least see that there was some thought put into the choreography.

If you're an EOP who never touched the game then there's no reason for you to watch it except cute SoL boys, that's why there's less western attention. It's huge in Nipland though.

It was fun in the beginning, when it had potential. It's mid season now and it's basically endless repetition of
>Yuri feels like killing himself
>Victor doesn't know what to do
>Yuri somehow makes himself feel better anyway
>He gets 1st place in competition
>Obligatory homolust ensues
>2 seconds of quirky side characters
>2 minutes of poorly animated/rehashed skating because Mappa ran out of budget too early

I'm watching and I honestly can't tell where this is going. Yuri will clearly win and then Victor will leave or whatever.

Fujo's latch onto shonen and sports anime all the time as long as there are cute boys in it. BL is pretty niche but you will find an insane amount of fanart/doujins for literally any sports anime ever created. Also fujos like to buy tons of shitty merch for building shrines.

YOI was mainly directed at those types of obsessive fujos since the very beginning. Canon homo brings even more attention to it from people who just wanna see what the fuss is about.

>It could be the deepest, most well written story ever, and you'd dismiss it based on the fact that a small studio doesn't have the time or money for perfect animation?
I don't think an anime needs to be well-animated to be good, but animation and drawing quality definitely has relevance to an anime's overall quality. This is only especially true when the anime in question focuses on a sport that is all about motion and the quality thereof. I can credit Yuri On Ice for being a very ambitious production, a TV anime focused a motion-intensive sport, but that just makes its failures all the more detrimental.

Of course it matters, but OP's post is literally 'the animation sucks, why is it popular?' as if he cannot conceive of people enjoying a series for other reasons.

I don't think he had lines before then.

>yuri doesn't feel like killing himself
>he never did
>and in fact, improved on his anxiety throughout the show so far
>victor didn't have a role for the first comp. as he was an observer to see what yurio and yuri would do
>I forget the placing in the second event, so he might have gotten first again, but he actually placed 2nd in ep.7
>homolust is literally the dramatic part of the show
>i.e. conflict
>i.e. what makes shows interesting
>"quirky"? not really, just side characters
>they don't rehash any of the skating

>bait

Sayo Yamamoto typically actually applies herself as a director in a rare twist on the modern industry so there's a reasonably good chance it is. That's not why it's selling though, that would be fujos, but that doesn't automatically exclude a show from being good despite the typical Sup Forums mentality.

Because it have canon gayboy as MC and that just scream >progressive among western fandom. If you not into it just for the homolust then you'll quickly find it boring anyway plus the animation has become painfully shit and repetitive thus preventing you from enjoying the skating part.

Stupid cunt can't even greentext right

Someone finally recognizes the real best girl

I tried the first episode and there was a bunch of characters I didn't care about doing bunch of vaguely explained things I didn't care about and byt the end of the first episode nothing changed.

YOI seemed more interesting.

They aren't going to spoonfeed you about ice skating, if that's what you're expecting. Besides that and some QUALITY its a pretty fun (and very gay) show. Don't think too much about it, just watch the first 3 episodes and make your own decision.

>is yuri on ice actually good?
No

Not that user, but

> I watched one episode of something and don't understand all the characters and the plot yet!

>Sayo Yamamoto typically actually applies herself as a director
Thanks for the laugh