What is philosophy?

What is philosophy?

Right answers only.

Other urls found in this thread:

theyfly.com/introduction-spiritual-teaching
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fleeting third density minds only able to perceive a small sliver of the spectrum of reality, trapped in a temporal bubble, deceived by the illusions of ego and death, trying to comfort themselves

Intellectual onanism.

theyfly.com/introduction-spiritual-teaching

Theory of how to think about things, but not the things themselves.

the key to thinking very strangely about stuff. deep shit. fry your brain.

a few years of that. and normal stuff is like, thats nice.

A point of view that is willing to evolve when encountering logical information, seeking true knowledge and understanding.

Philosophy is the science of meaning. It is meant to answer essential questions concerning domains of human knowledge, it is concerned with axioms, principles, and premises of sciences and possible sciences. The love of wisdom, is the love of truth which is true justified belief. Wisdom could be defined as the intelligibility of the structure of the whole. How the whole is made true is a use of the soul or spirit of mankind which seeks a unity of all aspects or attributes of the universe. The unification of all dualisms could be called the absolute or god. Proper philosophy is the guardianship of mankind for the task of bringing the absolute into cognition to guide the future and destiny of eternal truths.

Philosophy of today is an empty shell of what it once was. With the rise of scholasticism the philosophic ideals of ancient Greece were forgotten. If you read the works of Plato and the teachings of Pythagoras they had a much more mystical interpretation of the world than we do today. Even the works of Aristotle were metaphysical in nature.

>Proper philosophy is the guardianship of mankind for the task of bringing the absolute into cognition to guide the future and destiny of eternal truths.

That was very poetic, you put a smile on my face. Tell me the truth user, are those your words?

the study of ideas?

is the art of being pretty good street creed, I haven't got around to finishing it.

The question "why"

The love and care for wisdom

Logic deduction and reason to explain the demetaphised

Philosophy? More like philosophistry. I'll tell you what philosophy is- it's obsolete. Science has replaced philosophy- from science's inception when it was known as "natural philosophy" we have come closer and closer to understanding existence than any philosophy has.

Philosophy is making claims about the world without being able to scientifically test them. The more we advance in technology the more useless philosophy becomes. Prove me wrong.

na philosophy isn't bound by the rules science is. i learned way more from philosophy than science.

studio of idas!? studio of ieads!? how is your pic even related

science is thinking about stuff. philosophy is thinking about thinking.

Agreed. Don't discount the scholastic fathers, though. Aquinas is daunting and a fucking intellectual dynamo. Also remember the church was sometimes firm on mystics because of the encroaching gnosticism that always peaked it's ugly head up. Even some of the great philosophers were highly critical of gnosticism.

Agree though with some of what you say, though I am fucking way behind in the knowledge of philosophy.

No it is not faggot.

Thinking about thinking is only a fragment of philosophy.
Philosophy is simply a love for wisdom.

It literally means it in Greek "Love for wisdom"

That mindset is part of why the west is fallen, and given rise to the scientism and big S science. Also for the destruction of our educational institutions. Logic, the bedrock of philosophy and metaphysics is a pretty much dead art. The sciences have detached from the humanising and humbling mystical and theological wisdom.

REMOTE CONTROLLED JUDAISM

>Answers to questions we cannot answer with science.

Prove me wrong.

t. Phil Major

>The sciences have detached from the humanising and humbling mystical and theological wisdom.

Naturally, how else are you going to get a bunch of smart people to build technology with such potential for misuse?

Dude, we don't live in an age where a man can discover a completely new element by using a homemade battery and passing electricity thru a slurry. Now we live in an age where a institutions put in sizable sums of nations gdp to thousands of scientific hives utilizing impossibly complex machines to make a discovery. We have lost the dreams and visions that lead to new and unknown ways of looking at things, of the simple groping of the mind to explore in multiple disciplines at the same time.

Gay. Really gay.

Yes, I'm glad you appreciated my short paraphrase of the thoughts of greater minds than my own.

Exactly. I'm not saying all scholastic fathers were to blame. Aquinas was probably heavily influenced by Albertus Magnus who had interest in mysticism and alchemy. I meant something more in line with what you said above. During the peak of philosophy there was the mindset that our world is the result of influences from a more subtle realm. Instead of trying to categorize knowledge into divisive branches there were attempts to find the underlying harmony that unites it. Today modern science is showing that invisible forces and phenomena of the greatly effect our own world. The materialist worldview greatly limits our understanding because we observe the effects without understanding the causes. Although, these cannot be measured they can be inferred from observing the physical world.

Preparing for death honestly

Yeah dude. Think the same way. The positivism and postmodern junk is a hindrance. Hopefully the pendulum will start swing away from this man. Totally agree with you man.

Well, the Greeks DID invent homosexuality after all...

Good. Peterson touched on this which I admired.

I so admire and love the argives, but their predisposition towards pederasty is disgusting and a stain upon them.

here is what philosophy is:

>philosophers defines their own terms
>Uses those terms to argue something
>act like they proved something, but they really proved nothing because they were using the terms they themselves defined

Y'know, they weren't wrong with their logic?
>y'know what's more manly than one guy?
>TWO guys

Math is intelectual onanism for you too?

>i'm not implying intelectuall onanism is bad or not worth

The only right answer is
Love of wisdom

Exploration for the truth of the human condition.

Was that real Hawking or puppet with weird teeth Hawking?

The application of reason to thought.

>mathematicians defines their own terms
>Uses those terms to argue something
>they proved something using the terms they themselves defined

What do you want to say? I think math is this way, but not philosophy. Philosophers may do this, but, don't we always defines our own terms to speak and understand with others who do the same, only to each one getting proofs and conclusions substantiated in each one assumptions?

Karl Stern

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics

In this area, as in many other sciences and arts, philosophy underpins and vitiates arguments. There is no simple vomiting of opinions as you assert, but a historical consensus of experts. No philosophy or scientific pursuit of any kind is made in a vacuum without a history, and yet sometimes a new viewpoint upends history and redefines things. But does that mean we refute Newton or Euclid when more advanced math is introduced, of course not.

Philosophy is one of the best things, that humans created.
It can vary a lot. From simple questions to the most complex questions of all.
Philosophy is truly underappreciated atm, which is not only sad but a mistake.
The only reason science is worshiped so much is because it produces nice little things for sheep.
The sheep, do not understand the consequence of their actions nor do they really care, they only care for themselves.
They only care for which chains they can find and put on themselves and then, someday, they realize "Holy shit! I am chained to something!" then of course, they go the other way and want to remove every chain they can, which of course is futile, now they are chained to the idea of removing chains.

Imagine, you are talking to a naive person and this person is unhappy. Now you tell this person:" You are unhappy, because you are not free."
But what just happened here? The naive person is naive and unhappy, because I - the creator of this scenario, said so and put it like that. But when you are talking to this person, what is it that you actually say?
"You are unhappy because you are not free."
"I believe you are unhappy, because you are not free." What is free? Free from suffering? Free from gov? Free from wife? What is free? How can you become free?

Here is a little extra thing before I leave.
Are happy people happy, because of the actions they undertake or are they happy and therefore they do the actions that happy people do?

I think most definitions of happiness are flawed because they are never achievable. When Plato talks of happiness in the Symposium he describes it as having the things we love forever. But to possess the anything let alone our most precious attributes (health, youth) or commodities or social recognition, fame or the like is by nature passing. So, happiness might not be the true end of humanity, but the pursuit of better lives for future humans or the pursuit of better future histories.

Believe the main function is to install in the individual a bull shit detector to protect him from sophistry his entire life.

or as aristotle might say happiness is a life of action governed by virtue.

Philosophy is the practice of forming clear images

Thought concerning thought