Kimi no Na wa UK Screening

Any fellow UK see this today? What did you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

yournamethemovie.co.uk/
youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I watched it like 2 weeks ago and t was really really good. :D

Thank you Shinkai!

Holy fuck the visuals were absolutely gorgeous. The movie was stunning. Loved it.

My cinema didn't state if it was English dub or subtitles and when I got there it turned out to be a dub and it was a pretty damn excellent dub.

I just watched it at my local Vue and got back now.

I forgot how obnoxious entry level weebs were, laughing at the unfunniest shit.

It was a cute film. Par for the course for Shinkai stuff, I feel. Visuals were great on a big screen.

Was there something special about the screening today? It said on all the posters "launching on the 24th" and shit but I saw it almost a week ago.

glad i caught it on the big screen, really really nice looking, place was packed out too which i did not expect

Same with my screening.

Either marketing has been pretty strong or there are more people interested than I thought. Still, you could have scored several bingos in my screenings tonight. Graphic hoodies, green/blue hair, fatties and all kinds of stereotypes all in the screening.

Just watched it in Potatoland, was very impressed but I didn't think it was the be all and end all of anime. Intro was a bit slow but everything past the twist was excellent. it's hard for me to give a more objective opinion of it considering I'm caught up in the feels, but the visuals were definitely amazing, especially the scene with Taki learning about Mitsuba's past.

All in all would recommend. I'm just gonna stew in my own feelings for a few days now.

It was a nice twist, but I feel as though it's the same kind of thing in just about any other Shinkai movie I've seen, people that are close and bound together, drifting apart in some roundabout way. If you're familiar with his works, you can pretty much figure it out.

The way they dealt with the changing timeline was really smart, though. It was pretty subtle.

It wasn't as well animated as I was expecting, considering the hype, although the visuals were beautiful. I had to watch it dubbed at my local screening. I might make a 30 min drive in a few weeks to see it subbed.

Fantastic film, and easily Shinkai's best. I predicted some of the story beats due to familiarity with his prior work but was still on the edge of my seat for a lot of the second half.

The visuals were gorgeous, the characters were incredibly well realized, the comedic moments hit the mark everytime, and the romance was downright gripping - with the moment when the pen drops on the mountain being one of my favourites from this year's films. I also NEED the soundtrack right bloody now.

I think my only complaint was that the initial credits sequence (which was basically an OP) felt slightly unnecessary and gave away that a time differenve was involved when it briefly showed their adult designs.

Out of curiosity, how did it handle the scene when Mitsuha first takes control of Taki's body and is eating lunch with his friends? In the subs she cycles between watash, boku, and ore trying to find how he addresses himself in a slight panic.

What was the dub version of the scene like?

I DID I DID
It was great, where did you see it? It was subbed for us.

I'd also like to know this. I can't imagine something like this would translate well.

Where is showing this film?

>Newham
I am so sorry, user

I'm sorry Sup Forumsnon do I know you?

I feel like I've seen you post here before.

The real question is how long until a high quality torrent is out.

Watched it in Sydney, had a decent amount of people even in a very distant suburb on a thurs night.

Never watched Shinkai before, and absolutely loved this one.

Also, this film is getting a full scale release in China, and probably breaking 100mil USD over there.

>I am so sorry, user
T-thanks. On the plus side the cinema was almost completely empty, and it was subbed.

Going to see it again on Saturday.

Would it not of been obvious if one of them just noticed "hey how come your 3 years away?"

>At least notice the iphone model.

Not him, but from what I can remember from my screening, it was just general confusion about other parts of his life like getting lost on the way to school, work, etc. They didn't try to emulate Japanese pronouns.

However long it takes for the BDs to come out

Cheers for the answer!

> changing timeline
I don't understand can you expand on that?

I was a bit lost when time changed. I thought after the point she died on her timeline everything was just being deleted.

That was lost in translation. I remember Taki just having a soft voice and being lost. They translated "San" and mister and miss though.

I can't fucking imagine a dub working.
It required feminine voices from a male actor, masculine voices from a female.
It used jokes like Watashi-Boku-Ore, which don't exist in English.

I thank the heavens mine wasn't dubbed.

Oh yeah, and the VA spoke a lot more softly and feminine.

Any screenings in Newcastle? We always seem to get Jewed out of releases like this. But if it's dubbed I'll wait for the BD torrent.

She was a kid from the boonies who didn't even have a cafe or a book store in her town and all the tech looked like it was from the late 90s. She may just not have ever seen an iPhone before outside the rare advert.

Though I did notice that their calenders both ommitted listing the year, since I went in knowing about the twist. Kind of an asspull, but still a nice touch.

Sorry i don't watch trash and especially don't watch trash with 4chanfags in the same room

The screenings are for today only as far as I'm aware. My cinema had 1 screening only but then they added one more both for today.

yournamethemovie.co.uk/

Have a check. I just booked for a second screening in York since I had to watched it dubbed where I am.

But still if i had to argue about a loophole it'd be the lack of years mentioned.

I mean if the movie made something to explain it away.

>this village has a weird thing about keeping track of the year so we don't

It's stupid but so are glaring loopholes.

There was a screening here?

What the fuck why did I not hear of it

>At least notice the iphone model.

This. This so fucking hard.

Watching it at Prince Charles Cinema in London on saturday. I'd watch it tomorrow but I have work.

I would like to see it. I live right near a big Vue cinema and I'm annoyed they don't seem to be screening it.

I saw someone ask about Vue on twitter and the reply they got back from Vue seemed to imply they were only screening it dubbed. If that's the case maybe I'm not so annoyed. Maybe I'll just wait for rips.

How does it compare to Shinkai's other films? I've felt most of them are a bit mediocre and overwrought. To see everyone raving so much about this one is a surprise.

Also I can't wait till I can get my hands on a torrent for it, so many screencappable moments.

I don't think it's too far fetched that they were all so caught up in the moment that they failed to recognise the years being different.

I curse Shinkai for 5 Centimetres Per Second. Not a single one of his films since then have ended that way, but the fact that he had the sheer BALLS to do it even once nearly made me have a heart attack during the ending like three times.

It was a tad cheap to wring it out for that long, but fuck me it definitely worked.

Oh shit nice. My cinema has another screening for an English sub. I can watch it again, had to watch it dubbed. Although I admit the dub was pretty fantastic.

Hi user.
Look at my wonderful ticket.

I liked how everyone was oblivious to it. It was like it happened naturally, even though they changed the past. There's no sudden change, just fuzzy memories.

>She was a kid from the boonies who didn't even have a cafe or a book store in her town and all the tech looked like it was from the late 90s.
Even bumfuck inakas in Japan aren't that isolated unless you're 90-years-old and don't give a shit about anything outside of it. She still had a tablet style smart phone, so it's not like she wouldn't be aware. But yeah, something like phone models would be glaringly obvious.

>I don't think it's too far fetched that they were all so caught up in the moment that they failed to recognise the years being different.

For an entire couple of weeks? While one is on a phone with a calendar, with TV's, friends and all sorts of methods?

The method of how they'd find out is unimportant. It's just how the movie completely decides to ignore it instead of at least give an as pull explaination.

I mean not only that but I don't see why Mitsuha didn't google anything related to her hometown or the comet. Like if you're getting switched around I think the average human would try to find some reason why.

I went in not knowing anything about it and loved it though, I'm not gonna lie. That's also probably because I have a soft spot for this kind of thing.

it hits similar beats to his others but with a much more ambitious story/more fleshed out characters

>It used jokes like Watashi-Boku-Ore, which don't exist in English.
Yeah, I saw it subbed today and I can't imagine that bit translating well.

Sup Forums is going to shit on this hard when BDs come out. Film doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype and is only good on a visual level but the plot and characters are subpar and there's a few holes in the plot as well. This won't get the same warm reception Redline and Disappearance got

Oh shit, what seat where you in user.

Would phone models really be that obvious? People can use old iPhone's no problem, it wouldn't be strange that a teenager from the country would have an old model.

It literally says on the ticket

>I've felt most of them are a bit mediocre and overwrought.
Its the same here with the key difference being him having the money to go all out with the aesthetics
> To see everyone raving so much about this one is a surprise.
Most of them have not seen Shinkai's work and are just following the bandwagon. The story and characters are nothing special

It follows the same story beats as his other flicks in regards to the cast but tempers it with a way more likeable cast, surprisingly strong comedic moments, and a certain flair that he's not displayed before imo. It almost feels like he was just more confident while writing this and was less afraid to go hard on giving it a sense of identity - which I still can't really figure out, since I used to think that the tepidness and restraint of The Garden of Words or 5cmps WAS him at his most confident.

I'd say it's by far the best thing he's worked on, and even if you dislike or are tired of his writing it's still worth a shot since the execution of it is just fantastic this time and might win you over anyway.

It's not flawless, but it is very good.

you got a premium quality ass ticket

Who hull here?

To be fair, teenagers tend not to give a shit about things outside of their own little bubble, so you're not going to Google stuff about your own home town while you're in someone else's body, or even think about news surrounding it. TV and calendars should give away, but I think that's when you just have to suspend some disbelief.

I agree with this. I enjoyed it but it certainly is not the best anime movie ever. I don't mind "plotholes" when you consider the above, but it's not really standout compared to anything Shinkai has done before. It's very similar, IMO.

Maybe phone models they could of got away with. But it's literally everything. boonies or not what was stopping him from going:

>old phone
>i wonder how much a new phone cost in the boonies
>wait... why is there no newer model
>TIME PARADOX

or her going
>ooh look at all the new models. I wonder if i can buy a new phone.
>wait I've never heard of this model
>TIME PARADOX

In regards to the writing*

Shit son. we probably cringed at each other and never new.

I could suspend my disbelief fine, them not noticing things like that in a film with time paradox and magical comet fuckery is pretty easy to ignore if you're not nitpicking imo.

Its still a good movie but holyshit did its reception get overblown in Japan. It reminds me a lot of Titantic.

>could of

>watch film expecting it to be subbed
>it's dubbed
>get used to it and enjoy the film regardless
>get back home, look online
>find out theirs a FUCKING DIFFERENT IDENTICAL WEBSITE FOR BUYING THE SAME TICKETS FOR SUBBED SHOW'S THAN DUBBED

holy shit I'm pissed. Good film regardless

mfw next subbed showing at cinema I watched your name at without watching it at 8:30pm in the middle of town is 6th December

Redline wasn't exactly deserving of its popularity besides its visuals either. It completely ran out of steam after the first race. It felt to me like Koike was under the impression having fuck all happen in the middle third was absolutely necessary for the actual race at the end to be exciting. Instead it was just kind of boring.

>people are getting tetchy about them not googling their phone models being illogical instead of the supernatural elements

I'll never understand this place.

I saw the dubbed version by accident, and In that particular scene Mitsuha starts to talk about herself something like 'A girl like me..' and then corrects herself to 'A guy like me'. It didn't work too great and I didn't realise it was just a Watashi/Boku/Ore being lost in translation.

Other than that dub was fine, on the whole I guess.

No lie user I would finger fuck myself to death if woke up in a girls body.

No shame taki.

Yeah, definiely. I still enjoyed it enough to warrant wanting a second watch.

This. I'd have heart shaped pupils and be ahegaoing my way to death.

My entire theatre laughed like fucking crazy every time he started feeling up the tits.
That sounds like the best compromise they could make without completely changing the joke. Shame it doesn't translate well.

I would never leave my room again

>I'd better not for her sake
Kek

Well user, the difference is that this was not a disappointment on its own.
Titanic was not a good film.

Do you know who burst out laughing during the pen dropping scene? I wanted to throw my phone at him.

>Dem fingers
>Student ticket
Jesus wtf are you.

>My entire theatre laughed like fucking crazy every time he started feeling up the tits.
Same at mine.

I'm not going to lie though, it got a bit obnoxious after the first couple of times because while some of the stuff is giggle funny, it isn't HAWHAWHAW funny.

>Redline
>popularity
Film flopped in Japan and was largely a cult film outside of it, it was also a film that relied mainly on its visuals to make up for the "nothing special" plot. I agree that Yellowline was better than the Redline itself but the film worked as a spectacle first and foremost which people were expecting. Your Name however I just don't get the praise because the visuals carry that film and if you're a Shinkaifag you're gonna feel that's you've seen this story from him before.

Mark Kermode thought it was the best thing ever, it was even his film of the week.

youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ

I wonder how many more people will have gone to see it because of his high praise?

>accidently watch it dubbed, look online
>plenty of screenings to watch it subbed over next couple of days in town
>probably gonna watch it at the same cinema in december.

Speaking of anime films, wonder if any UK lad's are lookin forward to watchin koe no katachi. Watched that in edinburgh in october and it was 10/10, still consider it better than your name.

I thought that one was pushing it with how often they'd repeated the joke but good fuck the crying one hit me damn hard.

I wanted to see more of tomboy Mitsuha not taking any shit at school.

>I'm not going to lie though, it got a bit obnoxious after the first couple of times
Same thing happened when I saw Koe no Katachi. Pretty much every time Tomohiro spoke everyone burst out laughing.

I didn't mind the for her sake and agree the crying one was good, at least those two were set up pretty well to be funny rather than the joke being the cliche 'Guy in a girls body feels himself up'.

Is he a big deal in bongland or something? The vid only has 13k views.

the radio show is super popular

>Speaking of anime films, wonder if any UK lad's are lookin forward to watchin koe no katachi
Most anime films don't air around me. One of the reaasons I went to watch this tonight was just to support more viewings in the UK. KnK wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell of airing near me.

He's a critic for the BBC. So while his YouTube channel may not get many views, his opinions on the radio and TV will get more of a reception from people casually listening.

>Says so much yet doesn't explain
This is a common thing for these reviews. Its giving me memories of Boyhood

Speaking of Koe no Katachi, anyone know if that's showing in Ireland?

I heard it was supposed to but could never find anywhere showing it.

Ah, right then. Cheers for the quick answers.

Is that screening here too?

I can never get my two friends to come with me to the cinema any more because they both have significant others while I'm a romantic lost cause. I bring up films and either they have no time for it or they reveal that they've already seen it without me. I'm getting sick of it, I've not been to the cinema for fucking years, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and see Your Name alone (and also Arrival), and I guess Koe no Katachi too.

The thought of going to the cinema alone makes me fucking nervous, lads.

As far as film critics go, he's pretty solid. Not too pretentious and knows what will appeal to the general public. He's not always looking for something avant garde like other critics.

Go by yourself. I started going alone a couple of years ago and I don't regret it a bit. First couple of times, it feels awkard, but after that it's fine. You have to remember that you're not talking during a movie anyway, so you might as well be alone. If you relying on other people, you end up missing out on a lot of movies.

The only thing you miss out on when going alone is that post-movie chat, but that's what Sup Forums is for. And shitposting.

Arrival was a pretty nice watch.

I know it's probably an anxiety disorder or something you've not got control of ut you seriously have no need to worry. Going to the movies alone rules and I find it leads to better immersion.

Plus everyone going to YN will either be a weeb or a foreveralone so you've no reason to fear judgement.

I do it pretty frequently, did it tonight, it's not fun but you've just got to not give a fuck

The only time you even need to interact with somebody is the minimum wage teenager checking tickets as you enter. Book it online, print the tickets yourself and get there a little early so you don't have to climb over people in the dark.

Another added bonus is that you can end up with pretty decent seats or a bit more leway with leaving a booking until late. When I went to go watch Star Wars last year, I only booked a night before it came out because I didn't even know the date it was supposed to be out and slipped right in a single central middle-back seat.

>dragged my five normie friends along to see it since it was my turn to pick for our movie night
>they were good sports about it but clearly weren't expecting much of it
>they actually THANKED me for making them go when it was done because of how much they loved it

Felt pretty fucking good lads

Cute.

Still no screening in Poland?

Well then I will go some slav 3DPD animu

good job lad

I know right. Brought my mate along because I didn't want to go alone, and he loved it. Now he plans to watch more animu movies

Going to see it at Panton Street on Saturday evening. Then going home, ordering a kebab, getting drunk, shitposting and watching anime all night.

Weekend is fucking sorted lads.

I kind of hope this encourages people to check out more anime movies other than Ghiblit, at least Film4 attempted years ago with Satoshi Kon's movies but they just seem to think everything non-Ghibli is hentai.

i don't know what would be worse, screening with dubs or none at all.

What was the reason for the body swap? Meme magic?