Other urls found in this thread:

negativedge.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/10/16/041654
negativedge.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/10/22/151245
ho-lingnojikenbo.blogspot.com/2013/08/loffrande-au-neant.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>2 books that I've actually read mentioned
Feeling pretty good today.

Wow, look at this book reader here.

She was actually reading a book last time. I felt betrayed.

>Reading math book during freetime
She's surprisingly studious.

It's not a math book. It's popsci.

Is it weird that I can cum to just this image

I tested the theory, and the answer is no, because I just came to it too.

Thanks Sup Forumsmigo

Is this a short?
It's the first thread I notice about it and it looks cute.

Anytime. The Scientific Method is always with you.

Bernard is cute yes but most people are put off this because they can't read books

How patrician is this anime?
Do they discuss actual literature or is it just genreshit?

Actual literature. Though one character almost always goes into SF mode when allowed to.

I want to impregnate those thighs

Oh look, it's the show where I have to pause and read the subtitles constantly.

If you need to pause to read the subtitles you clearly haven't read enough books as to develop good reading skills

Did you post that knowing you'd be laughed at for your third grade reading comprehension?

The art is simple enough in way you wont missed anything important, try your focus on sight reading the subs.

It's true you may need to pause for when they have a block of text for book descriptions, but otherwise dialogue is 'slow' but still sped up cause short anime.

Is anyone bothered that the two volumes of The Snow Queen aren't next to each other?

I pretend to watch Bernard so I can act pretentious in these threads.

I figured I would. This is the only show where I feel like I have to do that because it's annoyingly fast. I want to read the manga.

>Script is just copy-paste of some Wikipedia article about the author since episode 1

This cant fix this anime have zero fanarts in pixiv

There's nine pages on pixiv, what're you talking about?

That is pretty darn weird.

>every time I recognize a book I've read it's because of Kanbayashi talking about sci-fi

I should really broaden my horizons.

At least you recognize something
There is not a single book from this show I have read

Childhood's End
2001 Odyssey in Space
Solaris
The Long Afternoon of Earth/Hothouse
The Voyage of the Space Beagle
Neuromancer
Dragon's Egg
Telebrain
Sandkings

I mean, most of them are classics so if you only read contemporary stuff you'll probably feel left out (though they did bring up The Martian, which was interesting).

I've read a couple general fiction classics like No Longer Human and Kokoro, but I think a lot of the non-SF stuff they mention is untranslated. I really wanted to check out the big-three horror novels they mentioned a few episodes but none of them are translated.

Mystery, not horror. Whoops.

The thing is that I spent the last 16 or so months reading Confucius and other chinese stuff.
And the fiction supply isn't exactly english either.
The only sci-fi I spent actual time on is the two LoGH books

>reading books
What a joke.

I don't know any character's name except Bernard.

The guy is called Endou,isn't he?

But that's not even her name.

It is now

Let me dream

Are all japanese books these small flimsy thingies?

Here's my list so far of books mentioned along with the two blog entries for episode 1 and 2. It's most likely very incomplete so if anyone has additions, please let me know! I might just condense the first two episodes soon.

Episode 1:
negativedge.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/10/16/041654

Episode 2: negativedge.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/10/22/151245

Episode 3:
Haruki Murakami works in general including works he translated
Sherlock Holmes' War of the Worlds - Manly Wade Wellman
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
The Lost World - Conan Doyle

Episode 4:
A Study in Scarlet - Conan Doyle (also 'The Sign of the Four' -> 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' -> 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes' -> 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' -> 'The Return of Sherlock Holmes' -> 'The Valley of Fear' ->...)
Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond
The Life of Kafka - Ikeuchi Osamu
Inherit the Stars - James P. Hogan

Episode 5:
Dogra Magra (again) - Yumeno Kyuusaku
Black Death Hall Murders - Oguri Mushitarou
An Offering to Nothingness - Nakai Hideo
In Search of Lost Time - Marcel Proust
Summers' Sad Bad Jokes / さまぁ~ずの悲しいダジャレ - Summers (owarai comedy duo, compilation of bad jokes)

Episode 6:
The Martian - Andy Weir
The Sister Karamazov - Takano Fumio (apparently translated as Shio in CR subs)

Episode 7:
High-Rise - J.G. Ballard
Catalog for Iwanami Bunko Library of Classics series

Episode 8:
Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh
Why Don't Truck Selling Laundry Poles Go Bankrupt? Accounting Questions Starting with the Most Familiar - Yamada Shinya
Who Moved My Cheese? - Spencer Johnson M.D
Ubik - Philip K. Dick
The Door Into Summer, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein

I would say about half of the works mentioned so far are easily accessible but typically the Japanese ones are still untranslated or are only available in some other language.

They're usually pretty small but they also tend to be a bit cheaper than Western sized novels.

Looking back, you may want to read one of the short stories they brought up if you want to ease into reading some of these works. One of the stories they mentioned in episode 1 is now a Hollywood film (Arrival) and is rather good, "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang.

The japanese ghost/mystery stories sounded interesting.
What where those called?

Dogramagra, Black Death Hall Murders, and An Offering to Nothingness. However, I don't think any of them have English translations. Dogramagra has a halted English blog site that translated 4 pages but that's about it. It's fully available in French however.

ho-lingnojikenbo.blogspot.com/2013/08/loffrande-au-neant.html

This blogger has reviews of all three books under the title of "The Three Great Occult Books".

Fuck

You could include the blue back series as well.

Have you bought any of the recommended book?

Marathon Teekyuu and you'll never have this problem again.

Thank you for the list. I wonder how many books we'll get to see by the end.
I got Titus Groan and Kokoro, can't find the LoGH novel yet.

There have been less after the first two episodes. Some episodes lately have only had maybe two or three books shown total. The recent ep however had that big pile of Hayakawa SF series but I don't think that really counts since it was during a rant about reading at least 1000 before you fully understand SF.

Why is she so gay?

Go watch Teekyuu and report back.