Is Akira an essential anime movie?

Is Akira an essential anime movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x_NO4znTZZk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is breathing essential to living? The manga is better tho.

>manga is longer tho
ftfy

Manga is better

At the time I could be argued yes. Although I think it's impact is diminishing over the passage of time. It's full influence is yet to be determined.

>Purely in terms of animation, greatest animated movie to come out of Japan
>Purely in terms of animation, second greatest animated movie of all time

It's legacy and influence are pretty well secured. Not to mention for a whole generation of people it was the 'first' anime movie they were properly aware of, and among one of the first to receive widespread critical acclaim. There's no point watching Akira for anything other than to marvel at the animation since the story was butchered to make it fit into one movie for what I imagine was likely budget reasons. The manga is top 10 manga of all time as well, there's not been anything quite like it since.

Overrated garbage.

like you.

It's essential to my interests and experiences, but not really for the general anime-watching crowd, no. Especially nowadays.

Manga > Movie

Reading it makes you realize Half Life 1 is based on it.

didn't give a shit about akira, just watched it for the red bike. the plot was dumb as shit.

I personally think that the story is better in the movie. Kaneda and Tetsuo's relationship is not only fleshed out, but relevant. It's a much stronger theme to base the story around than some weird 'MUH GRORIOUS NIPPON ENDURES ALL HARDSHIPS, BONZAIII!!!!' bullshit. Everything post-explosion in the manga felt unnecessary. The cult, the war, the clowns, the commandos, I wasn't feeling any of it.

And what do you consider to be the greatest animated movie of all time. I know your answer is going to be a meme but I'm curious.

Prince of Egypt. This should go without saying.

>Prince of Egypt
I have to say, I wasn't expecting that. What makes you rank it so highly? The storytelling, the animation, or some combination of the two? As far as animation goes it's got a good unique style working for it but it's nothing mindblowing and the story felt to me like a slightly weaker 'The Ten Commandments.' Yul Brynner can never really be topped by anybody, in voice or action, and despite the freedom provided by the medium the scale actually feels smaller in The Prince of Egypt.

Pinocchio and Royal Space Force both seem stronger to me. Disney's animation in its prime is unmatchable while Royal Space Force is in my opinion the most thoughtful animated movie ever made. Also for a meme-answer I might say Belladonna of Sadness just for that beautiful song at the start.

It's essential because of it's influence but not because of the actual quality of the movie.

Then why not choose titles which are both good in quality and nostalgia value. The first GITS movie, Castle of Cagliostro, etc.
I like Akira just fine but I don't think it defines its genre

I like that movie, don't get me wrong, but I refuse to take seriously the guy who picks Dreamworks when considering all animation from anywhere in the world at any time in history.

Of course it is, it's inarguably canonical in terms of both historical and aesthetic achievement.

Are there seriously people who consider Akira a bad movie when looking past its animation? Aside from petty plotfaggotry I see no reason to dislike it.

Those are also essential anime movies.
Akira is good in quality.

"muh manga" is baby's first hot take, alongside Cowboy Bebop is overrated

I just think people regard Akira as the holy grail of anime because it's the first one they saw, or at least the first one which left an impact because of the veiny gore explosion scene, just like how all the millennials love Code Geass and think it's the best thing ever.

I'm sure that lots of people do but aside from its meme status I think that the movie has a lot else going for it.

Some probably think of it like that, but you gotta keep in mind that Akira, unlike Code Geass, is one of the first anime people see because it's long been solidified as one of the best, not because it's new or internet-popular.

I watched Akira for the first time after 3 years of watching anime and I loved it for the animation and just the general theme of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=x_NO4znTZZk

This scene will always be one of my favorites.

Akira always reminds me of how badly I want a good bosozoku anime.

I'm kind of bummed we never really talk about Otomo's pre-Akira work. The guy used to draw some really great, out there stuff.

>Akira, unlike Code Geass, is one of the first anime people see because it's long been solidified as one of the best

That is increasingly questionable. Akira does have great animation and entire sequences have become inspirational, but the story itself, especially due to the English dub they made back in the day, is confusing and not exactly among the best.

I don't think it's confusing, and I don't think being confusing is necessarily a negative. I've been far more confused by far greater stories. No experience with the dub though, I don't think people ought to consider dubbed versions of foreign language film. I'd also say it's not "among the best" but that's an absurdly high bar, don't you think? The story is certainly great though.

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO