Your Name./Kimi no Na wa. Thoughts

I'm so happy that this was the first anime I saw at the cinemas. It was beautiful, and unlike other Makoto Shinkai films, it was amazing from the beginning... all the way to the very end!

It was a great experience seeing this with friends!

Australian theater with English subs by the way, so glad it wasn't dubbed.

It brought me to tears twice; once from sadness, and once from happiness.

It was amazing. Definitely Shinkai's best work.

Ausfag here. There was one line that got translated wrong. It's near at the end when Mitsuha was running down the hill saying that she is looking forward to kiss him when they meet. Kinda triggered my autism. There were some a mumbling at the audiences as well when that happen. Probably because there are tons of Japenese in here.

What was supposed to be said?

Certainly! I'm going to be honest and say that I dislike 5 Centimeters Per Second and The Garden of Words.

I wasn't a fan of 5cm/s but really liked Garden of Words so to each their own I suppose.

There was no kiss involved in what she actually says. She was just looking forward to see Taki.

Wow, hope the BD fixes that.

Huh i liked 5cm and disliked garden of words

5cm was significantly better than this

Brisbane by any chance?

imagine thinking this

That wasn't TRANSLATED wrongly: it was a line from the song playing in the background that was shown by mistake. Why they didn't \an8 the song lyrics when their shitty software does support subtitle positioning baffles me.

5cm didn't abandon the characters and themes halfway to focus on a plot that relied far too much on plot magic and manufactured climaxes

Nah, NSW. Event.

>Someone in the room burst out laughing when Mitsuha fell

5cm had characters?

>Clapping after the movie

Why?

Was expecting sub, was dubbed but still enjoying it till the end.

The movie was great, the part where they write each other name was heartbreaking.

It did have worse characters, lousy plot and a bland, unconvincing emotional narrative, though. I guess it was more consistent, and maybe being consistently mediocre is more valuable to you than being a flawed but overall good movie.
I dunno. I cringed as well.

Because it was a beautiful movie, without a doubt Makoto Shinkai's best yet!

5cm was heavily theme based and focused every aspect of the movie on bringing that out.

I mentioned characters and themes cause those were where Kimi no Na wa had a ton of potential. In fact what Kimi no Na wa actually did with the characters was really well done. But they had the stage and setting ready to embark on something greater, to really bring out the whole idea of "finding one's purpose" that came out of their drifting and dissatisfaction with their societies and the plot device that allowed them to experience another's. The characters had so much room to grow and be explored. But they didn't do that. It ended up being mostly a feel good movie with no strong focus.

Hello Melbourne friend

I don't actually think Kimi no Na wa is bad. I'd give it 7.5/10 (though thinking about it more seems to make me like it less). 5cm/s was an 8.5/10 for me, and a 9/10 for the manga version (which felt like a very different work, being character driven rather than an "artistic" kind of experience).

Hell yeah, I thought there would be atleast someone from Sup Forums come to see today.

There were people laughing but Im ok with most of it. At the end there were some guys clapping, I think they tried to make people clap after, I did some and left right after that.

Why didn't Taki knew the year when he was in her body before he found out she was in the past? Im sure her mobile diary would tell him.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

And they conveniently didn't decide to phone each other until the plot deemed it so.

Japanese doesn't call each other unless they really needs to. But still, they should have texted each other. This could have easily dodged by making the setting somewhen before 2005 before the cellphone youth boom, but they forced the timeline into modern time so they can advertise for LINE.

Character stuff in the first half was good, but all the stuff in the second half felt rushed, especially the infodump about the tragic family backstory.
I started caring a lot less when all the magic started happening. And I'd have like to have seen how Mitsuha convinced her father instead of cutting away. It felt like the emotional family backstory should have played a part there, but it was edited out perhaps, or just ignored.

Also the climax was silly emotional manipulation. I was kind of hoping he'd do a "fuck you" ending like 5cm, but he kept teasing it instead which was annoying. It's the first Shinkai work that I didn't cry over.

There were minor plot holes, but honestly who cares. Good movie, will watch again.

Those are some generous ratings there, friend. Kimi no Na wa is a 7 for me and 5cm is a 6. Never read the manga.

An anime season focusing on the body-swapping hijinks and their growing feelings for each other when? I want to know what Taki did that made a female student fall for Mitsuha, and how Mitsuha used her feminine charm on Okudera sempai that led to the date.

The story made no goddamn sense. I mean, visuals and the OST were great, but the story has so many blatant holes and lacks in so many fields that I dont get how anyone can praise this film. Was it enjoyable if all you did was "watch"? Sure. But if you actually thought about it? Not at all.

-second&first part are completely disconnected
-the lovers meeting at the top of the hill shortly before the meteor crashing into the town felt horribly misplaced because they meet and are instantly ripped apart
-when the hell did the two even fall in love with each other? did all this character development happen offscreen? it sure as hell didnt happen onscreen
-why the hell does Taki ask for Mitsuhas name on the train, but doesnt follow her the second this over-dramatized scene of her handing him the braided shit happens? he just stays on the train even though clearly being curious? she left a fucking train, she didnt fall into a blackhole. and she just goes back to her village, cutting off her hair in depression even though Taki showing interest?
-why the hell does Taki not instantly remember who Mitsuha is the second she tells him her name after the first swap if in his timeline he had that fucking train incident happen which sure as hell should have stuck with him? after all it was so over-dramatized that this isnt something one does simply forget becuase it was a couple years back. the scene clearly was shown to be important and dramatic and it was later shown that he knew that it happened.
-if Taki remembers the high school in the village, then why the hell didnt he just google the name of it to find out were it was located?

cont.

Yeah, that happened a few times throughout the movie. I felt bad for all the people who probably didn't realize.

They should have fleshed out their interchanging lives more. I'd be happy if they added another 30 mins into it, but that's obviously difficult with animation.
It was a bit of a shame that we didn't see their feelings towards each other grow over time. Instead we just got them waking up crying, and then an I love you way later.

cont.

-why the fuck doesnt Mitsuha just tell all this shit to her father/grandmother? there is no way in hell that grandma/mother didnt experience stuff comparable to it which would make her story way more believable. hell her fucking father even implied that when Taki is in Mistuhas body that he knows that he isnt her. the fuck does he still not believe the story if his dead wife sure as hell told him about these "dreams" family members have/had? this shouldnt even be hard to sell considering how virtually every goddamn person in the village noticed how differently she behaved from time to time.
-Taki KNOWS that the twillight shit is going to be over and the two of them will lose each other (stop being able to see each other) yet even though suggesting to write down each others names himself to make it easier to find one another (he even points out that this is because THEY WILL FORGET THEIR FUCKING NAMES OTHERWISE) he decides to tell her that she loves her instead and doesnt write his fucking name
-AND WHY THE FUCK IS THE ENDING DRAGGED OUT BY 5 FUCKING YEARS OF THEM WALKING PAST EACH OTHER MULTIPLE TIMES? this might not be related to the plot but holy shit its so fucking annoying and bland. there could at least have been some proper closure, not just end it like that after showing all this "LUL I BARELY MISSED YOU LELELE" for 10 minutes on end.

All I wanted from the movie was for Taki to be NTRed by Mitsuha in his body and for Taki in Mitsuha's body to have to deal with going to a public bath with Yotsuha and trying struggling not to perv on his loli not-sister and act casual.

>AND WHY THE FUCK IS THE ENDING DRAGGED OUT BY 5 FUCKING YEARS OF THEM WALKING PAST EACH OTHER MULTIPLE TIMES?
They just want to shoehorn that moment from ITSUDEMO SAGASHITE IRU YO

Well for me a the difference between a 7 and 8 is that if someone asks me about whether they'd should watch something, I'd say yes for an 8 and would only say yes for a 7 if they were into that genre (9 is high praise, 10s hold a special place in my heart). Kimi no Na wa has a lot of issues but what it did well (characters, setting, art), it did really well.

>I was kind of hoping he'd do a "fuck you" ending like 5cm
I don't understand why anyone would want this unless they were a total misanthrope

didn't you post this yesterday

I'll have my rant here so hopefully no one else can be disillusioned that this is anything other than an average film that is being overhyped by people with incredibly low standards for films.

I did get suckered into believing that this would be a big moment for anime in the west. The plot begins super standard, I chuckled a few times because switching bodies with a qt3.14 girl in highschool is a funny idea. They started gaming the system and wreaking havoc in each others worlds but nothing irreversible because their friends and family are very gullible. Okay so that's forgivable, whatever. They could text message at any time, whatever. The problem is that they are such bland fucking characters that when shit does hit the fan, it is so low on tension that whole second half of the film may as well not exist. What even happened? We don't even get to see the thing that is alluded to happening happen at all. Destruction, sure. But the audience just keeps on getting fucked over because Shinkai can't decide what the goal or motivation is for anyone, so they just keep on changing in less and less convincing ways.

More montages in the style of music videos, each time I'm like, is it over yet? Then when it is over it's classic Shinkai ending, so no one is surprised there.

What a joke that this becomes the second highest grossing anime film to Spirited Away in Japan.

>Australian theater with English subs by the way
Just finished watching it at a Aus cinema myself. The movie in all honestly is average and the subs literally fucking triggered me.

WHY WAS THERE FUCKING PISS YELLOW AND FUCKING GREEN SUBS
WHY DID SENTENCES NOT HAVE FULL STOPS AND JUST HAD WORDS NEXT TO EACH OTHER WITH CAPITALS.

its way too Japanese to be the Spirited Away successor people may or may not be championing it as. With all the leg shots, boob grabs, and so on.

>I'd have like to have seen how Mitsuha convinced her father instead of cutting away. It felt like the emotional family backstory should have played a part there, but it was edited out perhaps, or just ignored.
THIS
Why was the mother even mentioned? It felt like a cheap way to make you cry instead of connection to the plot or character motivations.

I recall in the thread yesterday someone mentioned it felt like a TV anime. And it does, there was even a panty shot.

Was it just typical WA jank, or were they all like that?

The cut away at that point was such a cheap shot. Mitsuha convincing her dad would be a difficult scene to execute, but it could provide the much needed exploration and closure to the plot thread of Mitsuha's family. Instead you get the bullshit "they all died oh wait they didn't" comet shot

I'd say not really. The character dialogue for the most part feels far more natural than the nonsense on TV anime, but there are a few moments (like the times Mitsuha calls Taki a pervert).

I'm guessing quite a few plot elements were cut, due to the financial restrictions of making animation that looks this good.
None of his other works simply abandoned obvious plot threads like that.

It's better written than TV anime to be sure, but there are still points where it can disconnect with/alienate western audiences

He was a pervert though

Exact same thing happened at my cinema tonight. Macquarie 7pm?

Thankfully no one clapped though.

>Instead you get the bullshit "they all died oh wait they didn't" comet shot
Eh, the comet shot didnt even remotely imply that. No lights, not a single person and the damages are shown from like half a dozen angles etc. They made it pretty clear that people been evacuated.

>(like the times Mitsuha calls Taki a pervert).
She wasn't exactly wrong.

Better than my screening.
>subs were white
>couldn't see shit when it was bright

>both go to school every day
>never find out what year it is

Kek, I didnt even realize this before. Add it to the list.

Nah mate, Highpoint 4pm session

Really? I thought we only have 6:30 and another one after.

They all have the same subtitles, dudes. They didn't commission a set when another already exists. I'm pretty sure they were the same ones that were hardcoded onto that 320p fansub as well. I remember the
>I feminine
>I watashi
>I boku
shit

Indofag here. Depending on how the subs will turned out to be, I will have story to share.

I'd have loved more worldbuilding. The part about carrying on forgotten traditions reminded me of SSY and SnW. I eat that shit up every time.

>implying that school wasn't the same shit every day
honestly i wouldn't be able to tell the difference either

I think they write the date on the blackboard in jap schools.

including the year ? seems like a waste of time, considering that it only changes every 365 days.

>date on on school blackboards
>you write down the date constantly
>they run around with smartphones which have the date on the login screen
>mitsuha runs around in Toyko where the data is on those giant screen
>they watch the news every now and then, which shows the date
Even if we assume that all the shit they do in school is "the same" there are still so many ways they should have noticed the date that its pretty damn dumb that they didnt. Not like that train scene was any better, though.

When he drank the kuchikamizake I screamed out "KA-KANSETSU KISSU?" Got me kicked out of the cinema, but it was worth it. What happened after that?

That's my ticket
This was the sub session

An acid trip.

No, in the movie.

>It was a great experience seeing this with friends!
Kill yourself.

Not OP but I saw the movie with a few high-powerlevel friends and a couple more casual ones. I'm generally the solitary type, but a social outing with people whose company I enjoy every now and then is fun.

We're on the same boat then, went to see it tonight at 7 in syd. Everyone was pretty chill, no autismo present. Good vibes.

'Twas kino.

>yourselves

>discard the comet story
>focus on their lives as they deal with bodyswapping
>drama comes from never being able to see the person you actually love
>time difference still happens, but it's obvious straight away
>make it like 30 years or something
>they meet up at the end and she is old and has moved on
Yes or no?

You could add some tearjerker side plot about his crippled sister or something. He enjoys his different life too much, and neglects his cripple sister who kills herself.

piss off, the world doesn't need another 1.968" ending

She wakes up one day in your room in your body. How fucked is she?

Minus the crippled sister, that would be amazing

Nah. The comet part dragged on but it was necessary to really show how far apart they were and also test their love for eachother.

>starts my pc up and finds 20gb of memes
>most of them are from Sup Forums and Sup Forums
She would learn about (((them))).

Does that mean I get to wake up in her body one day?

Pass.

He has a cute childhood friend to fall back on.
You could even make her the cripple. The moral of the story would be to focus on what you have, instead indulging in impossible alternate realities. It would basically BTFO all the otaku.
Now that Satoshi Kon is dead, someone has to do it.

>>make it like 30 years or something
>>they meet up at the end and she is old and has moved on
Whats the point? Watching a sob story just to have an ending that isnt satisfying at all?
Why even watch fiction when its just RL on screen?

Would probably fuck up my gym routine and couldnt talk to anyone since no one understands japanese. Would be a bit weird.

Too bad they developed the characters' relationships with the side characters better than their relationship with each other.

Their relationship with each other was developed through the body swapping and the stuff after. The relationships with the side characters only made it more obvious.

I was impressed by the animation on her breasts. I might actually fap to the BD release.

Too much of their relationship was put into montages. There were hardly any moments of intimacy between them before the twilight scene.
Obviously it would be difficult to convey, but montages are not the right answer.
The montage just ends and they're crying, and you're expected to believe they fancy each other now.

thats a guilty fap

I agree that the montages were a slight misstep, but it didn't dimish the connection they had going, at least not for me. The characters themselves didn't have much of an idea about their feelings for eachother (which were probably there early on) until it hit them hard anyway. Again, the scene with Taki's sempai made it pretty obvious. You could say it was pretty jarring but it worked.

Like this part?

>Indo
Is that a suburb name or something?

>Again, the scene with Taki's sempai made it pretty obvious.
Still no actual onscreen explanation what lead to that. Not even gonna start on the fact that all he does is look at pictures of the village, nothing directly related to Mitsuha. Its nice and all that it happens, but the problem is that all this pseudo development happened offscreen which simply shouldnt be the case. There should have been clear hints in the messages they wrote each other, the way the behaved etc. Instead the story simply shoehorns the pairing without giving you much reason why it even exists in the first place. Hell at that point the two didnt even know each other. They lived their own lives while being in the other persons body. Sure they help one another in one or more ways, but this still doesnt result in love. There would have been plenty of ways to make way more believable and they would even have eaten up a lot of screentime. Simple shit like them taking selfies while being in the other persons body and both of them staring at them when they are back in their own or something. Would have been so simple.

It's that underdeveloped archipelago north of Australia.

the supernatural connection is so innately intimate i can't fathom any scenario where it wouldn't grow into something more than a purely platonic bond, honestly. I was sold on it.

This describes my thoughts so well

What a poor sad soul.

I think it just falls to preference then. I really liked how their relationship developed and having shit like them staring at eachother's selfies to explicitely show the development on screen would almost cheapen it for me. Like the other user said, it's a special incredibly close connection that arose without them knowing it until it was too late, which is what happened when they couldn't contact one another/the body swapping stopped. They completed each other and that's what made them long for each other so much.