Anglo here, can the Spanish speaking Sup Forumsnons explain the phenomenon behind Saint Saiya? Why is it so adored?

Anglo here, can the Spanish speaking Sup Forumsnons explain the phenomenon behind Saint Saiya? Why is it so adored?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gU1xHN4cMMU?t=25
youtube.com/watch?v=J_E9hkgcMWI
youtube.com/watch?v=ozDXZmo1tTA
youtube.com/watch?v=pAqnyoL9A_s
youtube.com/watch?v=ULvzaFp3F4E
youtube.com/watch?v=IMsc_MYninE
youtube.com/watch?v=zsZFU9H7He8
youtube.com/watch?v=svBbL5eoGfw
youtube.com/watch?v=p2-jxQ3J_dk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Saint Seiya was a soap opera, much like how our continent loves telenovelas.

But is it actually good? Im a few episodes in and it hasn't grabbed me yet, considering dropping it

Maybe is for the time that came out, my older brother always said that she follow every sunday if i remeber well, maybe its because of that, i start to watching because of my brother, i mean like "generation to generation". Its so fucking good, the spanish dub its one of the best and the music is so epic. Dont drop it.

*he

I may actually try switching to Spanish dub with English sub, sounds like a good idea to me

While the plot tends to be repetitive from arc to arc, this show alone is what made the shounen genre what it is today; imo the idea sold because of the amount of badass and hype moments throughout the series while also portraying a strong sense of companionship among the main characters.

It's Hokuto no Ken with pretty boys in magic armors.

The first arc is terrible, even as a fan of SS i despise it.

Start at the beginning of the Sanctuary saga is a classic. Then go for Asgard (another good arc), Poseidon is meh but kinda short. The entire Hades saga is great.

If you liked the show try Omega, it caused massive butthurt in spicland.

There was nothing good on TV at the time and Saint Seiya had blood and shit.
Also Seiya is brown, he looks like a mexican.

I'm Spanish, I grew up watching anime and I absolutely have no idea why people here love it so much.

No, it's shit. It's the same arc over and over.
The animation is also horrible

>manly badassery
>all that bling bling armor

Jap men are also kinda brownish.

Maybe you are too young.

Skip to the 12 temples saga. The beginning has too much filler.

Well I can say it's because it was the first anime (at least in south america) that was more violent and targeted toward teens.

At that time we had Ramna, Sailor moon, Saint seiya and some other random shit. A bit later we got DB/DBZ. If Dragon ball came out before Saint seiya, I can see Saint seiya being a lot less beloved.

Still, I love saint seiya.

>came one the prime time of anime dubs (sailor moon, Dragon ball, Captain Tsubasa)
>had good dubs
>lots of blood and action without being gore
>easy to follow plot

>If Dragon ball came out before Saint seiya
it did, but with a really shitty dub
Zero y el dragón mágico

Well over here Saint seiya came first, then dragon ball and finally Z.

We had cobra and "Robotech" before, very fan of the first one but it was axed because it was too violent and... boobs!.

I used to think DBZ was pretty bloody but when my country started re-airing SS and I got to watch from beginning to end for the first time, I was gobsmacked. Shit like Seiya smashing head-first into Shiryu's shield and Ikki punching a hole in Hyoga's chest left me wondering how this was allowed to be aired in the middle of the day with no censorship

first arc was shit, once you got introduced to all the characters j
ust skip it.

Why are you asking spanish people?

Ask the chinese, or euros or brazilians or whatever.

That's stupid because the series is popular all over the world

The anime is completely different from the manga.

It has a lot of filler and a lot of gay shit, not to mention a million plotholes that make no sense.

And as to why is so beloved, how the fuck should I know? Everyone in the world except burgers like it because they never got into it, maybe you just like Naruto.

>this show alone is what made the shounen genre what it is today
Except that's ring ni kakero

Is it? Hokuto no Ken just rips off basically every element from Kurumada's previous manga, which Saint Seiya uses as a basis.

What's up with that? Japs range from brown to pure white, but it seems like the men tend to fall further to the brown side and the women further to the white. Is it just women avoiding tanning because pale = beautiful or...?

People in gimicky costumes having shitty fights.
Made for mexico.

's just that good.

>Skipping the first arcs
You fucking idiots. Most of the greatest staples each character has are shown in there. Shiryu vs the black dragon, everyone vs Ikki, Ikki's backstory, Seiya's growth in the fight with Misty, Saori's kidnapping, Perseus motherfucking Algol. You skip greatness just to shitpost quicker on how your zodiac sign is better than some other guy's.

DAME TU FUERZA PEGASO

youtu.be/gU1xHN4cMMU?t=25

>ring ni kakero
I feel curiosity about the anime adaptation because it basically looks like Boxing Saint Seiya. Is it any good?

The anime starts from chapter 31.

It basically skips the entire first arc so you don't understand why Ryuji knows Jun.

>this thread

the first arc is fine, it's definitely aged poorly, but they do a good job of setting up the characters. Look up a filler guide to get through it quicker.
12 temples is when shit gets real.

Several episodes are noticeably bad (Seiya going to the himalayas to fetch holy water that does absolutely nothing), but there are also some great ones (Ghost saints island miniarc - SS formula concentrated in one episode -, Athena getting kidnapped by CROWS and the three silver saints that come after)

I guess there's something for everyone. SS is huge on China, way bigger than in Japan, and chinks love stories about honor and homoerotism, see wuxia flicks and heroic bloodshed. Rose of Versailles and Grendizer were huge hits on France years before SS and they happened to have the same character designer, Shingo Araki, and they also have a melancholic dramatic tone so there was a continuity. Latin America likes melodrama and machismo so that's it.

The only homoerotic characters in SS are Misty and Aphrodite though.

Shun to a really smaller degree, unless you're talking about the anime.

Come on, user.

NOT
CANON

Saint Seiya is a masterpiece, nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

>The entire Hades saga is great
Buddy you wrote Poseidon wrong.

Poseidon's Arc was too shorty, but I liked most fights and everyone vs Poseidon was way better than everyone vs Hades. My main complaint is that Poseidon's army looks like shit when compared to Athena's and Hades's army.

To be fair, Poseidon wasn't supposed to return on this era. Also, Kanon seriously underestimate the saints; he thought after the 12 Houses it'd be easy to get rid of the survivors. It's a typical villain's flaw.

SS is homoerotic (Canon or not, it's the anime that counts for popularity), bloody and it plays hard with multiculturalism which is a theme that latinos tends to love, like being religious yet pagan and such.
And the latino sub was way too good

personally I love how each saint is based on a mythological character and the anime would always kinda tell the story behind the original myth and then the Saint.

another great aspect of this show was the music, especially in the Sanctuary/Asgard saga the anime had some really great music which was leagues above any other cartoon (I used to watch when I was a kid, Yes Saint Seiya is was got me into anime)

youtube.com/watch?v=J_E9hkgcMWI (love me some violin music)

some harp as well
youtube.com/watch?v=ozDXZmo1tTA

and another, there are just too many good tracks in this anime.
youtube.com/watch?v=pAqnyoL9A_s

That's not canon, secondary

oh and one more because why not

youtube.com/watch?v=ULvzaFp3F4E

Also the fact that the theme of the gold saints being the zodiac and latinos are very superticious, that shit is everywhere here, even in prime time news

No one gives a shit about the manga, losers. Everything SS has amounted for is because of the anime; fucking go back to the ice planet.

The fact that it was so short in comparison played to its advantage; it has more episodes produced by the main studio (Whose quality was far superior to all the others) so it's a joy to watch.

When lolis calling dibs on guys was cute instead of creepy.

youtube.com/watch?v=IMsc_MYninE
Why is the Asgard saga so fucking great?

They ruined the finale though. And they ruined Athena like usual.

Dunno why they made Athena so useless in the anime

I'm not a huge fan myself, but it indeed was pretty popular around here.
It had a lot of edgy and bloody fights and that Shonen structure wasn't too popular back then, so it's obvious kids got into it.

Kanon stopping the trident out of fucking nowhere was a ridiculous Kurumada twist. Having a gold cloth stop it actually makes sense.

I mean, I like it because I love how Kurumada just doesn't give a fuck and goes "Yeah, his chest was pierced by a trident thrown by a fucking god and afterwards the entire sea fell on him, but after a few weeks r&r he's ready to kick ass again in Hades"

Cheap, unapologetic, no-foresight twists all around. Gotta respect the old man; he doesn't give a fuck.

They actually put effort while making Asgard, unlike most fillers. Will Toei ever be great again?

>And they ruined Athena like usual.
But Athena was the one who stopped Poseidon. She's the one who always deals with the arc's main villain - the problem was that because the movies simply adapted the formula , she always needed to be in need of saving there.

>But Athena was the one who stopped Poseidon.
But she was kidnapped by some grunt in the anime, she's not kidnapped in the manga, in fact she makes Sorrento piss his pants and take her.

>Kanon stopping the trident out of fucking nowhere was a ridiculous Kurumada twist.
No it's not.

Kanon stops it because he learns that it was Athena who saved him from drowning when Saga put him in that underwater prison, she's the only reason he's alive

In the anime she is tired from protecting the planet for a whole day.
There's like a big wave while Poseidon is talking and you don't really see what's happening.

>But she was kidnapped by some grunt in the anime
No she wasn't. At least I don't remember that. Didn't she fall into the sea and then appear unconscious being held in Poseidon's arms?

Granted, the manga sequence shows her as more badass, but she still enters the great main support pillar of her own volition.

It's still too sudden a 180 for Kanon. The shot of him conflicted while watching his plans in ruins looks better, IMO. It's a softer transition to him being a good guy.

>Dunno thy they made Athena so useless in the anime

Because Japan is struggling with this "women leaving the kitchen" nonsense to this day, let alone in the early 90's.

Kanon doing a hard 180 is alright since it shows he wasn't that different form his brother and may even have doubts the whole time.
I also remenber reading a staff interview about how they picked Seiya to save Saori beacuse it was the final episode so they wanted the MC to be heroic.
Wuld've been Kanon too otherwise.

I can see why some fans are mad at Toei for changing the ending of Kanon stopping the lance and I think it was not only important for the next arc but fitting the twins theme (Saga chose to kill himself by harakiri, Kanon chose to repay his sins by being impaled and joining Athena) but back on 1989 the staff thought that was it for Saint Seiya so they probably wanted to give Seiya a last chance to be a hero before going off the waves and there was no reason to foreshadow a redemption to Kanon because it was confirmed that was the last episode. They never expected 13 years later the show would continue and people would still continue discussing it 27 years in the future

They made it happier too.

The arc ends with this page, in the anime she lives

I would've been fine if it was Kanon that took the hit. But I don't think it's bad that it was Seiya.
I'm not that big a fan of the Nolan/Lucas Pottery mirror scenes.

Wait, isn't she alive there? I always say that last panel as her swimming away.

Every manga arc ends up with something falling down on the saints and fade to black. It's like Kurumada kept making bad endings only to have the series renewed, and he'd start the new arc with "Oh, they're all fine, they made it".

user
>it's been dead for several days

Also, fishes are dead when they float upside down

I guess they didn't want to end with a sad note. It was already too sad we wouldn't be able to see the next arc animated

>Looks like it's been dead several days
Funny. I don't remember that from when I read the manga - in a different edition. I may have been mixing the manga and anime endings because killing Tetis' tetises is such a waste.

Why didn't you save her, Athena? You saved everyone else!

Weren't Poseidon's general weakened because Poseidon was not fully awake?

Isn't Hyoga like 14? Does he have a license?

i guess is not about asking spanish but hispanic people

Not really. Most of them simply were not as strong as gold saints. I guess only Siren and Kanon meassured up.
Still, Lymnades almost kills everyone by himself through subterfuge. He simply was unlucky enough to go up against the raddest saint.

She was very weakened, she could barely save her saints. Athena did nothing wrong

In soviet Russia little kids drive cars, user.

I read somewhere that Poseidon had more temples but for his weakened cosmos he could only awaken one. My headcanon is that Tetis's presence mean there were more mid-tier soldiers but sleep Poseidon couldn't do much. Also, Poseidon seem to like fighting in front rather than staying on his throne

So will Seiya remember his past memories as Temna and the previous Pegasus Saint's reincarnations at some point?

Doesn't that make him just as old as Hades and Athena if he keeps incarnating over and over again?

he creates ice wind with his bare fucking hands, don´ be that autistic making retard questions

That's one of the thing that blew my mind, they look mid 20 but their real age is 13-14? The fuck is that?

For me is nostalgia + loving the greek gods and armour shit. I even buyfag myth cloths from time to time.

B-but the police!
youtube.com/watch?v=zsZFU9H7He8

Saint Seiya can be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but Bt'x was pretty legit.

Thankfully the "13 years" timeline is mentioned only a couple times in the entire story so it's easily ignored. Because yeah, it makes not one shred of sense.

It does make more sense than Saori's grandfather drowning in pussy to produce 100 sons (God knows how many women, but SILLY, WOMYNS CAN'T BE SAINTS) in THE SAME YEAR (roughly).
Another mystery is how he liked Ikki and Shun's mother more than the others, to get her pregnant twice, while Hyoga's mom is a Russian super qt that got pegged once.

This.

Kurumada mean them to be 13-14 but the animation team thought that they were to young so they make them look more adults. Kurumada eventually cede and make them look more adults, you can see that in the character design along each saga of the manga.

We can believe that they're 13 at the start and there's an unmentioned timeskips where they get older.

Even if Omega isn't canon, it's hilarious that none of the cast has aged a day. The same goes for Episode G Assassin where they all have jobs and social lives now.

While I agree, the anime kinda fucked up a lot of it by changing shit. The manga is much better.

Kurumada wanted teen heroes the kids could relate to
Toei wanted mature heroes the kids could admire
Also the saints have gone through some really horrible shit and it'd be a little too disturbing for kids cartoon to show kids suffering so much. Anno got in problems with the PTAs for the Bardiel episode because Shinji is 14 years old and he looks 14.

>Saint Seiya had blood and shit

Basically this. It's not enough for latin americans to watch the news about murders in favelas, we need more blood.

>Even if Omega isn't canon, it's hilarious that none of the cast has aged a day. The same goes for Episode G Assassin where they all have jobs and social lives now
Japanese master genes

Only problem with that is that it is mentioned that Poseidon happens only a few weeks after Sanctuary (Saints are in the hospital recovering, even) and Hades not long after that.
Either way, you need to ignore something.

The manga had its share of shit as well, like Saint calling cards, so your next of kin will know which saint killed you.

youtube.com/watch?v=svBbL5eoGfw

He's a cool surfer dude

Shiryu has the best cloth

I'm mexican and this is true

Japan is ridiculously big on preserving tradition, so even when you've shifted protagonism to a younger generation, whenever a classic hero is brought up it's hyped as the ultimate badass.

I understand respect for previous heroes, but it gets in the way of the narrative when they outshine the actual protagonists. In Omega it got ridiculous by the end, when some of the old cast kept "dying" and then it turned out they were just napping under rocks.

this thread make me want to rewatch saint seya
but i'll watch in my native country's dub since it's faithful and voice actors did a good job
but we will never have great anime dubs again .
RIP BR dubs
youtube.com/watch?v=p2-jxQ3J_dk

Thanks to ND Hades arc happens 4 years after Poseidon, so Seiya is 17 years old.

What? That makes no sense. So Kanon was in the Pope's room recovering from a completely different wound??

Any word on G Assassin ages? Heard they were around 40 years old or something

Don't be so sad, BRo. If it helps, current MexiDubs are shit as well.

I'm not an expert on SS but when one user storytimed the whole manga he kept pushing that narrative and it sounded reasonable even if I don't remember what his arguments were.