As somebody who doesn't know a lot about dragon ball, what is wrong with GT?

As somebody who doesn't know a lot about dragon ball, what is wrong with GT?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pZja0TvW7qQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xtzXzzt4cy8
youtube.com/watch?v=cZIvtkVkzKg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The part when they return to earth.

The concept of milking a franchise while it's original author is still active and will even eventually go on continue the story himself, rendering the bastardized vision as nothing more than expensive fan fiction.

They made Goku a kid again

youtu.be/pZja0TvW7qQ

>Turned Goku back into a kid.
>Pan is an annoying bitch.
>Giru is the Jar Jar before Jar Jar.
>Trunks turned into a pussy.
>Tried going back to the "humorous adventure" style of DB early on, but lacked Toriyama's humor
>When that failed, tried going back to Z's action format, but missed the mark on that too.
>Side characters are even less relevant than they were in Z.

There's also a weird melancholic atmosphere hanging over the whole thing. There's something depressing about seeing all your favorite characters becoming senior citizens. By the end, everyone but Pan (who is now an old woman) is dead, presumably of old age. I don't watch shonen anime to be reminded of my own impending mortality.

But kid Goku is better than adult goku

But is he truly Kid Goku, or Adult Goku in Kid Goku's body?

So, imagine if they took away Frieza, Cell, Buu from DBZ and just left all the filler.

That's Dragon Ball GT.

You're talking about super?

Nozawa is still voicing Goku because Adult Goku was always Kid Goku in Adult Goku's body.

So Kid Goku is Kid Goku in Kid Goku's body.

But therre was some pretty great filler. Nothing in GT comes even close to being as good as the slice-of-life stuff in the lead-up to the Cell Games or the otherworld tournament.

That's from your point of view, from my point of view only filler worth a shit is Piccolo learning how to drive.

Shit plot, shit villains, shit color palette, but worst of all it's just fucking boring. Super rivals GT in terms of stupidity sometimes but at least Super is fun, GT was just lifeless.

It just makes you wonder what making Goku a kid again actually accomplished.

No.

Say what you want about Super but GT gave us the worst battle in Dragon Ball history.

youtube.com/watch?v=xtzXzzt4cy8

I thought no. 17 Theme was really well done in it.

Also, the Art on Super Saiyan 4 was.... not to my tastes.

Not in the Z/GT world. He stands out and not in a good way.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahahaha

When does the fighting start?

Sucks but it's better than Super

Wow that Goku voice is terrible

it's not and you know it. stop the bullshit just to get some (you)'s

I watched a bullshit censored version of GT because I ran on a 4kids tier television block in Germany

due to the drawing technique it may look like dragon ball but the story, the dialogue, the comedy - it all feels like a knock-off. I'm not even it fanfic-level, as there's some good fanfic out there.
it tried to continue on dbz, but that special something, that spark that kept millions of people watching this show - it was missing. in db and dbz or super, I even like the fillers. but gt was just unbearably boring to watch. you just want to skip to the good bits but before you know you've skipped through 64 episodes.
there are some good bits like vegeta's moustache. but they're so rare that I wouldn't even bother

I'm currently rewatching for the first time in 15 years and 18 episodes in, the only real problem I see aside from them occasionally forgetting that they can fly are the few QUALITY episodes. Aside from that it's comfy, fun and enjoyable so far.

>I'm not even it fanfic-level
wtf did I write there.
>I'm not even saying that it's on..

You can say the same thing about Super.

>What is wrong with GT?

It's canon. That's what is wrong.

>Pan is an annoying bitch.
She acts like every other female in Dragon Ball. What makes her bitchy attitude any different from Chi-Chi, Bulma, and Videl?

>Trunks turned into a pussy.
Because that Trunks was the current timeline Trunks, not the Future Trunks you grew up on.

>Tried going back to the "humorous adventure" style of DB early on, but lacked Toriyama's humor
>When that failed, tried going back to Z's action format, but missed the mark on that too.
At least it hit the mark on both aspect better than Super.

>Side characters are even less relevant than they were in Z.
They're virtually non-existent in Super. Heck, it took 50ish episodes for Gohan to do some training.

no, not really. super's animation style is a wild ride. some episodes are well-made and with some episodes you could think a toddler draw them. but the original toriyama-comedy is there. and it's not just the comedy. Ftrunks' arc was pretty good and or because it was dark and suspenseful.
wether or not zamasu was a good villain is up to debate, I liked him.
beerus and whis are fun everytime they're onscreen.
every character had some developement (some more, some less, except for goten he had none). I like it.

It's a halfassed attempt at recreating the success of DB. Doesn't really work out.

>B-but in Super!

GT includes the strongest enemies and characters. However we never really feel like they're strong. We're just told they're super strong as they proceed to have piss poor fights that make lack none of the impact of the Saiyan saga fights.

The first glaring issues are pretty obvious
>Uub is built up as Goku's successor in the End Of Z but does jack-shit of any worth in GT
>They use Teen/Adult Trunks as a main character but he's an absolute cucklord compared to Future Trunks
>Pan was not only annoying as shit, but was pretty much the cause of everything that went wrong in the first half of GT, except for the Pilaf Gang using the Black Star balls on Gok
>All of your old favorite characters are now old folks
>Turning Goku back into a kid just screams of "we want to go back to what the original Dragon Ball was about" but completely ignores the wishes of the series creator - Toriyama wasn't even going to continue past the King Piccolo saga if his editors and the guys at Jump didn't let him age Goku up
Right off the bat, you have a flawed concept, a flawed main cast, and the people at Toei shitting on the intentions of the guy who made Dragon Ball in the first place. This disaster of a starting point could've been forgiven if it was at least entertaining, but they didn't manage to capture either the humor of early Toriyama nor the epic action of late DB/Z. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense or doesn't belong (Piccolo dying permanently and becoming the guardian of Hell or some shit, what the fuck?) and a lot of rehash stuff -Trunks The Bride is basically that bit from Dragon Ball where Oolong threatens the village and kidnaps women, for example. Don't even get me started on how dumb Super 17 is or the shitty music of the dub.

GT was always shit, and a bunch of DBS-haters (not that I'm too keen on Super either) trying to spam it into the limelight isn't going to change that. If nothing else, it had some pretty good music in the Jap version and I really liked how they ended it all, the last episode almost had me tearing up.

>it took 50ish episodes for Gohan to do some training
see there's where you're wrong. if you think that gohan is only relevant when he's fighting you're wrong. gohan wanted to be a father and that is exactly what he is doing. that was his development. wether or not you like that is your business. krillin has a job, picollo looks after pan, trunks hits puberty, vegeta is just as relevant as goku, bulma is important. only goten kinda sucks right now like said. I hope they do something about it

One pile of shit may be less smelly than the other, but in the end they're both still crap. You should try coming up with better arguments than deflecting to Super every time someone points out a flaw in your favourite series.

The only people who prefer kid Goku are 8 year old japanese boys. Since they are also the target demographic of these types of shows the decision to make him a child again actually seems fairly sensible.

DB/Z is an adaptation of a manga written by a guy with the help of his editors.

DBGT is something entirely original made by an anime studio with no input from the people who were actually involved in the source material.

Because we didn't get countless episodes dedicated to Chichi, Bulma or Videl. The closest comparison would be original DB Bulma, but even then Bulma was written with flaws, and moved the plot forwards. Pan is just there to fill up screentime and simply react/complain about things. If you can't see the difference in focus and how these characters are used, then I suggest you pay more attention and stop arguing.

By the time they started working on GT, I bet all animators pretty much grew up on Dragon Ball. So literally a fanfiction.

Does Super have better animation than GT ?

this is true, guys who are supposed to be stronger than frieza, buu and cell combined do nothing but destroy a few buildings most of the time

It does actually, but the art style is kinda shitty and there's a lot of model inconsistency at times. GT has better art but they abuse the hell out animation loops to the point where you end up seeing the same energy spam animation a dozen times in a fight. Both have a ton of QUALITY issues but they're of a different kind.

>That Gogeta vs Omega Shenron fight
GT was a mistake

Heavens no. Animation quality is pretty much the only area where GT has a big edge over Super, because Super looks and moves like it was drawn by fourth graders.

Other than that, they're both pretty shit, but I find Super has the edge story-wise once you get past the film rehashes.

>GT Antagonist don't feel strong

>General Rildo assimilates with the fucking planet just to kill Goku
>Bebi posseses everyone in the world, beats the crap out of SSJ3 Goku and has his descendants kick him while he's down like some recruited gang member
>Super 17 comes out on top out of every previous DBZ villain so far that invaded Earth, Goku having to go through HFIL and back to kill him

In what way did GT villains felt underwhelming? You guys are just pulling straws at this point.

someone post that pic with all of Bulma's hairstyles

The humor doesn't hit the spot, the fights are terribly choreographed and it's boring as shit.

GT is the absolute definition of cutting corners in animation. Super is just rushed, but at least it looks good during the important moments.
youtube.com/watch?v=cZIvtkVkzKg

>pulling straws
English isn't your first language, is it?

>HFIL

Fucking triggered.

At least it had the best looking super saiyan transformation ever.

Super is utter garbage aside from the Zamasu arc.

>gt was just unbearably boring to watch
Super is many levels worse on the subject. DBZ is a fucking drag as well.

Oh is this the part where you try to pull that "Oh you never watched OG Dragonball! Of course you don't like it" horseshit? Seen it all before. I suggest getting some new tricks buddy.

>The good
SSJ4's design and lore
The Tuffles actually coming back via Baby
The idea of the corrupted dragon balls and the 4 star dragon being amicable towards Goku

>The bad
LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE

So can we agree that SSJ4>SSG and SSJGSSJ?

Pretty much. Also... severe lack of Piccolo.

are you talking about design or power

Design, because Super doesn't really do Power Levels

This is retarded, GT offers much better early on than this one particular episode, especially considering that Super is guilty of way, way worse than that.

>Super is just rushed
Super is PADDED as fuck, and low budget QUALITY as hell. The moments the show actually looks presentable are rare exceptions. GT has around a ratio of 1/4 episode looking QUALITY and the rest being on model, and GT on average looks much better than Super.

You need to stop the drugs.

then yeah I think I prefer SSJ4 over super saiyan recolor

General Dildo was dumb. Baby was shit. Super 17 ruined 17. Dragons ruined the dragon balls. All GT villains were a disappointment.

My only good memories of GT episodes are saga starters before villains show up.

GT>>>>Super

Get the fuck out of here you retarded furry brony Mexicunt.

What's up with brazilian huemonkeys and mexicans being so vehement about defending GT?

GT is good if you're a kid.
Which is who the audience was.
Arguing over Sup Forums about it is true autism.

They grew up with GT being their entry level animu. What do you think?

I was a major GT hater when I was a child, your argument is invalid.

Post Freeza villains are all crap aside from Zamasu user.

>how many buzzwords can I fit in a single post

But did the Tuffles really need to come back? Especially when their plan is just Cell but not as good, frightening, or interesting?

As a whole? It's way behind GT.
On very occasional budget episodes? Yes.

Note that GT has much stronger shot composition.

For Vegeta definitely SS4>Blue, but for Goku I liked SSGSS about as much as SS4. But that is mostly due to use of color and how stupid I found the "SS4 makes him an adult again" plot point

So did millions of others yet somehow it's always these same fags defending it. Many people recognized GT for the piece of shit it was even when they were children, so the only way this could happen is if GT was literally the first ever Dragon Ball related thing they saw.

I didn't like how the final fight just turned intoa rehash of the end of dbz. Now that we have multiple universes does that mean we're gonna see a mulitverse powered spirit bomb?

>SSG and SSJGSSJ
Are literally Toriyama ripping off DA.

>the final fight
So you managed to miss 63 episodes of various previous Dragon Ball material rip off?

GT's actual art issues stem from the FUCKING HORRIBLE style of Uchiyama. The thing is that GT is consistent with its awfulness, while Super varies far more between worst in the entirety of Dragon Ball and better than the entirety of GT and most of Z.

>jacking off to pan when you were 14
>tfw you look back at it, it was wrong as fuck

I think I've watched most of GT but there were some parts I never got around to actually watching. There are some other things that bugged me too like Vegeta jobbing even though that's his purpose and Uub never really doing much of anything important.

I will say that the Vegeta moostache thing was pretty great though. Sadly I don't think he ever went SS with it.

if kids didn't watch it and kept watching it (meaning they liked it) it wouldn't have had as many episodes as it did. You were just an autistic kid, sorry m8.

I don't care what anyone says, SSJ4 was absolutely retarded
Almost as retarded as SSJG. Almost.

GT is full of wasted potential and straight up lies.

Super wasn't out yet to show just how bad the idea of turning fan fiction into a real show can actually get.

>The thing is that GT is consistent with its awfulness

It's basically a loop of 3 pleasant looking episodes that feel made by competent japanese teams followed by one proabbly 100% made in Korea.

am I the only one who loves ssj4 minus the outfits? the whole "weremonkey" thing is pretty cool

Many people love SSJ4. It's feral.

>posting some shit only an autist would notice

WOW YOU SURE CONVINCED ME THAT A SHOW THAT WAS LOVED FOR NEARLY TWENTY YEARS IS NOW SUDDENLY SHIT!
NOT!

ALL DB villains are shit because they can all be seen as just a bunch of power-hungry cowards, no depth whatsoever. Oh yeah, and some like Janemba and Buu (all forms) like to fuck around and blow shit up, but that's it.

Actually, I take it back, not ALL DB villains lack depth, Picollo and Vegeta certainly don't, but the rest that never turned good do.

I thought the Oozaru going SS thing was cool. The 'taming' of it worked too. I thought it went well with Goku being youngified and getting his tail back. It was kinda silly that their shirts just dissapeared. Wasn't the original super saiyan legend about him going SS ape. I think that lore wise it works but GT just had problems as a show.

with ssj4 it seems like you either love it or hate it

The DESIGN is okay. Everything else about it is nonsensical, with things like the magic pants and how achieving it is a joke thanks to Bulma shooting Vegeta full of literal moonbeams.

>GT
>Loved
Good joke

When I as a kid I didn't really like GT very much, I always preferred DBZ.

Jesus what's wrong with the announcer's face

The art, when it was good, was everything great about Dragon Ball and the 90s. It seriously looked amazing at times, but most of the time is was eh to bad.

GT is loved in Japan very much so, the Japanese don't hold the same Western pigu-defined "canon".

What is "canon" to the Japanese is anything that has DB in its name, so any DB material really.

If everything is canon, then nothing makes sense you say?

Well number one, the Nips don't actually give a shit about "canon", only Westerners spend their energy on that shit.

Number two, you can imagine it this way: all DB stories and material are canon to themselves, and the larger DB Omniverse, or more fittingly, DB "Xenoverse". So all the different worlds with different events actually happened, just in different places, different "timelines" if you will. Some of the DB material shares the same "timeline", such as for example the Bardock movie and the Chilled special. "Timelines" can be slightly different to radically different. In one "timeline" for example, SSJ3 Goku is stronger than Ultimate Gohan (Tapion movie), in another "timeline" Ultimate Gohan is stronger than SSJ3 Goku (Buu saga). Another thing, just because something didn't happen in one "timeline" doesn't mean it couldn't happen, so SSJ4 not existing in Super just means that Goku and Vegeta still haven't found out about that transformation.

This kind of thinking that everything DB is canon really makes you appreciate more the likes of DB Heroes and Xenoverse for bringing together all the different worlds with different but cool scenarios and endings, and making your wildest "what ifs" become true.

This fight has more impact than most fights in Super.