Could you have saved her?

Could you have saved her?

Her brother should have whored himself to old fat men to support the both of them. What was his problem.

Wasn't the moral that as horrendous as their aunt was to them, swallowing your pride and staying with her would have been better than starving to death?

She was annoying

>giving up the NEET life for something as trivial as losing WW2
No, working is for normies.

No. The moral was the adults are shit.

Not according to Takahata, or the author of the novel.

I thought the moral was a criticism of the Japanese government.

She's still alive in real life, just so you know

No, the brother should've been happy that the annoying kid died and stopped draining his food supply.

>She's still alive in real life
No she's not. And the original author had two sisters that both died of malnutrition.

No, the moral was that the kid was a little shit that killed his sister because he was only thinking about himself and didn't want to grow up.

According to Takahata the moral was respecting elders. How the fucking goddamn hell is anyone supposed to respect a cunt like the aunt?

I wonder if there were NEETs in WW2 Japan era.

Grave of the Fireflies is forced sympathy of the worst kind. Complete garbage film.

>forced sympathy
I don't understand. What are you some sort of autistic being that can't feel emotion?

In a time of war and poverty, you make sacrifices and do as you're told. The kid refused to work and got so annoyed about the aunt resenting him for not halping the family that he fucking left.

Not him, but the only emotion I got from the film was unbridled rage at the aunt. Fuck her, she was the real villain of WWII, Hitler and Hirohito were both Jesus compared to her.

>How the fucking goddamn hell is anyone supposed to respect a cunt like the aunt?
You've failed to grasp the Asian concept of respect. You respect your elders simply because they are your elders, not because they are worthy of respect as such.

Felt like propaganda to me more so than a emotional depiction of WW2 repercussion

Because he couldn't leave his sister alone with an aunt who told her her mother was dead and scolded her for crying.

Good films can generate emotion from the audience naturally.

Bad films do it with scenes that have no diagetic reason for existing like that webm, and idiots like you and all the other normalfags praise it as a masterpiece.

The fag killed himself and his sister all because he couldn't apologize.

A part of me finds it amusing how hard the original message was misread.

The children's story is so tragic, and the aunt was so unlikable, I feel like everyone (myself included) just saw a message about the strife caused by war, more-so than what the author intended to say about young people.

No, I'm a white american so I would have been imprisoned or killed in the same situation as the boy.

Apparently the book version of the aunt had sympathetic traits in the way she treated her own family, none of which made it into the film.

how though? how cruel a person do you have to be to think this?

Good. His ideas were shit to begin with.

This story has a moral?
I thought it's just about being tragic and shit.
0/10 got bored halfway through.

More or less.

Honestly, given the situation the aunt was in, I can't blame her for the way she acted. She could have been a bit nicer and more compassionate, but he and his sister still would have been better off sucking it up and staying with the aunt.

I'm just not a complete idiot like yourself. By all means, keep enjoying the film through your completely misunderstood idea of its purpose.

man I wish I could be as smart as you

It probably didn't help that the dub gave her a voice that made it sound like she reveled in tortuting them. She speaks every line with the inflections of a taunting school bully.

And the only time she sounded genuinely pleased was when she saw the kids were leaving to fend for themselves.

IT'S SO SAD!

Honestly, they made the aunt like that on purpose to hit home that in these situations no matter how bad or irritating it is, its better to swallow your pride and endure it.

Sure, if only nips didn`t start the war in the first place.

Sup Forums really is fucking dead.

>art can 0nly have 0ne 0bjective interqretati0n
ishygddt

It was. It was an allegory to the jap gov. of ww 2

Takahata, the director, explicitly said Grave of the Fireflies was not an anti-war film, and he made it for the purpose of arousing sympathy from the younger audience.

Sorry you were stupid enough to be conned.

They're fucking children though. They don't know shit, let alone the nuances of social interaction or the consequences of their actions.

Au contraire, I already knew this. However what my comment meant to express was that an audience may, regardless of the director's intentions, interpret the message of a film in a miriad of whichever way makes sense to them. Art is by nature subjective
>t. Anno

At the very least I would've begged for my aunt to take my sister and I back.

I'd like to think I'd ask around the village looking for a job too. I mean, I'm a lazy fuck, but I don't like being bored. What else would I have to do in that village? Sit around inside the hut all day scratching my crotch? Walk around all day staring at trees? I'd want a job just to keep myself occupied.

And then I'd marry that cute cousin of his.