So why is this series so insanely popular and highly regarded...

So why is this series so insanely popular and highly regarded? It's pretty mediocre compared to a lot of other Shonen manga

How is it mediocre? Even the side characters that appear once or twice have a fucking fan base.

hmm yes fanbase size dictates a series quality well done user

It goes from mediocre to HOLY SHIT THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER after Skypiea.

Oda can build a world like a motherfucker

then all you have to base your idiotic statement is your opinion. You just asked why its popular and highly regarded.

>pretty mediocre
I agree
>compared to a lot of other Shonen manga
I disagree

Yeah read Berserk or Kingdom instead.

>after Skypea
Only if you are a battleunderagefag

no it doesn't

Dragon Ball, JoJo, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin and Gintama are all better than One Piece dawg

>dragon ball
haha

pleb

Not an argument.

Trash catering to the lowest common denominator sells well. News at 11.

Nigger/spic

People have shit taste. WSJ used to have some great shounen fighting manga in it until the Naruto/Bleach/One Piece shitshow started.

Dragon Ball is the best manga he mentioned, though.

You need to get better at baiting

You need to get better taste.

>Dragonball
>Better than Fist of the North Star

Not quite. Although everyone who rates DB based only the anime (which seems to be the majority of people) are total fucking morons, the manga is legitimately amazing.

never read Fist of the North Star, how is it better than DB?

I'm so I don't necessarily agree that it's better than DB.
It's really fun to read, it has nice art and Raoh is the coolest antagonist around.

This right here

I think it has better art, pacing, fights and characters than Dragonball. Much more of an emotionally investing story as well. It pulls off Wuxia elements and homages better than DB does in my opinion as well.

To be honest, Fist of the North Star is still the best battle shounen ever made just on the strength of the first half of it. Second hald wasn't nearly as good but Tetsuo Hara and Buronson was persuaded to drag it out for sales (and this really happened, unlike with DB where you could never fully prove this was the case).

>Japan is a island country
>It makes sense that nips would be more interested in pirates stories no matter how shitty and retarded (nakama power up) they are
>They are always in their swimsuits aka fanservice (for males and females)
One piece is just Fairy tail : the only difference is nips more like things that are closer to their culture (pirates or ninja) than Europe fantasy setting like in Fairy tail. And yes both manga are garbage, but I get it why nips buy that shit called One piece so much.

Its fanbase keeps growing because it's easy to get into even with continuity lockout, and it's not bad at all. It's well-regarded in part simply because it's been going for a long time without going bad (obvious examples: Bleach, One Piece). In that sense, it's similar to Dragon Ball and KochiKame.

I'm from the UK the actual pirate nation and I think One Piece is shit

Pirates-yoho are farther from their culture than western-style fantasy.

>It's well-regarded in part simply because it's been going for a long time without going bad (obvious examples: Bleach, One Piece)
what did he mean by this?

People come for pure adventure and fightan, they get pure adventure and fightan

Throw in some long running DEEPEST LORE that rewards it's readers and you have a hit.

>nips
>I'm from the UK
I mean

Why is it people like to call Dragon Ball shit but if you say it's worse than "insert x shounen manga here" you get people like you who get all pissy about it?

Ahh cool, does it have that Dragon ball problem where dead character keep coming back to life?

One word.
ADVENTURE

>because it's been going for a long time without going bad (obvious examples: Bleach, One Piece)
What

>Its fanbase keeps growing because it's easy to get into even with continuity lockout, and it's not bad at all.

Yeah for sure... That's why everyone who's reading it casually don't know shit about it. One Piece world building is just massive, there's countless of characters, lores, legends etc. That's what make it great.

I have read all of the manga this guy is talking about except Jojo. One Piece is a better written manga with a more coherent universe. You might not like it because of the art and the lack of graphic violence but that's another point.

well when someone just says Dragon ball is shit I assume they're referring to the drawn out anime where characters power up for 10 minutes each episode

The manga is really good but it does drop in quality after the Namek arc imo

The lore and the mystery are part of the succes too. I mean, even the title get you with "What is the one piece?" and there is always hints, and you feel that you need to know

>It's pretty mediocre compared to a lot of other Shonen manga
I don't agree

how can you enjoy reading an action series for 800 chapters where the heroes never actually die or experience loss?

there is no better DB than when Goku was a kid. All that space/alien shit is awfull. Piccolo was supoused to be a demon but Tori made him an alien.

I meant that existing fans didn't leave because it's consistent and doesn't go too far out of its own boundaried.

almost all the characters have a tragic back story

Maybe there is more than one person on this board.

What are you on about? I like One Piece.

well I thought the twist that Goku was an alien was good and explained a lot of the mysteries in the series, and the Saiyans were great villains

And it happens enough that it's an annoying trend

Not really. The second half has a similar problem whereby a lot of the main villains and characters are total rehashes of former characters but given that the whole second half of the story was writtn on the fly solely as a cash grab, you can summarily ignore it.

As for the first part of the story, no one who dies comes back, and everyone who dies gets a tremendous send off. Buronson writes some excellent tear jerking stuff. The artwork is also outrageously good for a weekly series.

>One piece
>Mediocre

Suuuuuure

How can you make statements on the events of series you haven't read?

>800 chapters where the heroes never actually die or experience loss?

He has lost plenty of time actually. You should read it. There's a lot of plot point and mystery that. The main antagonist of the arc actual arc has been introduced years ago... There's so many mysteries i want to know about, so many characters i want to see.

nice I will put it on my to read list

>or experience loss?
Completely wrong. Absolutely wrong

Heck that's even wrong right now

It's a classic Jump series.

I know, but I am a pleb

Honestly, I felt that way at the Arlong arc.

I know. I'm just saying One Piece is not that easy. It must feel natural for you to remember characters that haven't be mentioned in 500 chapters because you are not a casual. I can assure you a lot of people din't even know who was Sabo. Getting into One Piece is not that easy. Sometimes a single panel old of a couple of years suddenly become relevant.

As long as you read it at some point, a lot of things were influenced by it. It was Jump's 2nd biggest name in their 2nd decade of running WSJ.

>So why is this series so insanely popular and highly regarded?

Both the manga and the anime series support each other. That is a powerful maintenance ability right there.

It's one of my favorite series and even I couldn't tell you. Something about it just clicks with me, if I had to guess I'd say it's the world and it feels like the entire story has already been mapped out, not like he's just coming up with shit as he goes.

>Dragon Ball
Ended years before OP.

>JoJo
Monthly manga.

>Yu Yu Hakusho
Same as DB.

>Fist of the North Star
Same as DB

>Hunter x Hunter
On hiatus.

>Rurouni Kenshin
Same as DB.

>Gintama
It's shit.

Who cares if they are old or on hiatus? They're still better

>Monthly manga
JoJo was on WSJ up until part 7

Because it is simply far more entertaining than most other shounen manga

nice meme non-arguments

Wew, this may be the most dumb comment in this thread

>So why is this series so insanely popular and highly regarded?

OP asked this. Right now, One Piece is the only good/fun manga running in the most popular manga magazine in nipland, therefore, it's the most popular.

One Piece doesn't go too far of its own boundaries like Bleach and One Piece did

>One Piece doesn't go too far of its own boundaries like [...] One Piece did