Japanese highschooler uses his 21st century command of science and technology to transform a primitive society meme

>Japanese highschooler uses his 21st century command of science and technology to transform a primitive society meme

Don't isekai authors realize that without the support of the rest of society, your average highschooler wouldn't even know how to make a toaster, let alone a gun?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They could probably figure something out. Pioneer sterilization and hand hygiene in the medical field. Theres a surprising swathe of day to day knowledge thats actually fairly recent.

Has there ever been an isekai where this actually even happened?

>Do isekai authors realize
No.

Drifters, which is in the top 3 anime this season

None of those characters in the series seem like "your average highschooler".
They're all famous and talented people with skills and experience.

Hygiene and sanitation and just germ theory in general took a REALLY long time to get accepted. John Snow spent half his life trying to convince people that cholera was spread by 'something' in the water and not by noxious smells.

As for the guy who introduced hand sanitation to hospital settings,

>Despite various publications of results where hand washing reduced mortality to below 1%, Semmelweis's observations conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community. Semmelweis could offer no acceptable scientific explanation for his findings, and some doctors were offended at the suggestion that they should wash their hands. Semmelweis's practice earned widespread acceptance only years after his death, when Louis Pasteur confirmed the germ theory and Joseph Lister, acting on the French microbiologist's research, practiced and operated, using hygienic methods, with great success. In 1865, Semmelweis was committed to an asylum, where he died at age 47 of pyaemia, after being beaten by the guards, only 14 days after he was committed

>your average highschooler wouldn't even know how to make a toaster, let alone a gun
Not if they're an anime MC, in which they can do anything and they use their highschool math skills to pilot and operate complex machinery and they wield the sword of fushu-mushu and drown in pussy.

>isekai where the hikkiNEET spent his time working out and studying stuff so he's alpha in the new world
Are there shut-ins that actually have such a healthy lifestyle?
I thought the point of being shut in is that you're unstable.

>Semmelweis was committed to an asylum, where he died at age 47 of pyaemia, after being beaten by the guards, only 14 days after he was committed

Maybe I won't pioneer germ theory or hand sanitation after all.

Did you skip the part of history class where they explained to you how to cure Small Pox?

How about the part where you have a modern understanding of the causes of disease and sickness?

Also you know that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin. Not that that will help you much.

I'm actually thinking that in Drifters theres going to be a massive shift in technology, with the end goal being WWII tech (The Hiryu is a fucking goldmine)

They do, which is why when he gets withdrawal from mayonnaise and tries to make it, he can't. Like almost every other one of his early assumptions and statements, he's fucking wrong.

And more importantly, they're multiple people who only know part of the information.

Just pop over to /fit/, and see for yourself.

What we really need is one of these with lottery ticket numbers for the past 100 years.
You know, just in case.

>Are there shut-ins that actually have such a healthy lifestyle
Physically, yes.
Mentally, only in very rare cases

Don't /fit/ people go to gyms?
You'd need to leave the house and an income for that.

>He doesn't want to be the Thug Hunter

Having knowledge of something is one thing, getting people to accept and acknowledge it is another. Especially something like germs which can't be seen without specialized equipment.

Another thing is converting something you know about into a marketable form. So lets take your hygene into account. You know about using soap, killing germs, etc can prevent spread of infectiona nd disease. Now how are you going to profit off this? People aren't going to go "Of course! We should be washing our hands! Here's a big basket of money as thanks!".

Are you going to sell soap and disinfectants? Do you even know how to make disinfecting soap? Is it something that others are going to quickly catch onto and sell their own better versions faster than you can produce your own products for sale?

The average highschooler doesn't actually know shit about how to make most of this stuff or understand more than just the general idea behind a lot of it. Hell, I don't think they could even market and create shoe laces, let alone weapons and medicine.

To be fair, mayo is not something you make without knowing how.

Seriously egg yolks and lemon juice? With oil and vinegar? Who came up with this shit.
>The Spanish
Figures.

Planet Fitness is what? $10 a month?

Even then you can do an awful lot with just your body and some furniture.

It honestly baffles my mind how our ancestors came up with this shit. Like how the fuck did anyone ever figure out how to create a working plane wing? It's not intuitive at all.

>Did you skip the part of history class where they explained to you how to cure Small Pox?
For years after Edward Jenner introduced vaccination, people were still pooh-poohing him and sticking with tried and tested inoculation. It's hard to get accepted when you're fighting against institutional inertia. But in many of these stories their 'genius' ideas are often accepted almost overnight.

>How about the part where you have a modern understanding of the causes of disease and sickness?
Good luck proving it though, unless you have the years to spend on independently designing and creating a microscope that will let you see bacteria, followed by parallel reconstruction of all the work of Pasteur and Koch with only the basic knowledge of what it was that they proved. And then you need rich and powerful and influential backers to push your theories as the accepted ones in the scientific community.

Also it's still going to cost trillions of dollars and decades of work to reconstruct your capital city to have a proper sewer system instead of just letting the shit flow through the streets.

Highschoolers ain't got no time for that.

By studying birds and hundreds of failed prototypes and experiments.

Exactly, it took years to figure out fixed wings because people could only think to attempt to imitate nature i.e. flapping wings, and then it took even longer to figure out how birds actually control themselves in fight.

I wish we could just fly.

While profiting off a new idea is very difficult and requires conscious effort, its something people have managed to do for millions of years.

I'm not saying a high schooler is going to be able to destroy all competition in 10 minutes, but if a highschooler knew about something like: "Production of Disinfecting Soap" or "Antiobiotic Production", with just a little ingenuity, a lot of time, and some help, he would probably come up with ways to demonstrate effectiveness and make a significant profit.

With regard to germ theory, some of the early biology theories were just so far out there its kind of unbelievable. It didn't require a particular genius to disprove [ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation ], and the experiment setup if actually kind of fucking durrrrrr if you know anything about germs.

But that's basically it. He knows concepts or what should be possible, but he has no actual way to implement the idea and like most other things needs to rely on others to fill in the gaps.

This thread reminds me of the episode of New Getter robo, where the pilots get stuck in the past, and one of them becomes a farmer.

The average person doesn't even know how a toaster works.

Good luck setting up the experiment when nobody knows how to build the equipment you need though.

>its something people have managed to do for millions of years.

Homo Sapiens haven't been around for millions of years, much less civilization.

You're sent 1000 years in the past

Is there anything useful that any of you can make with the materials at the time and only knowledge you have right now?

The "equipment" was literally curved glass and boiling water.

While I don't think a modern highschooler would become god-king of the world, the pendulum has swung way too far in the other direction at this point where Sup Forums actively insists that modern man would literally be 100% incapable of doing absolutely anything even if he conveniently had applicable knowledge.

Sorry user, I got ahead of myself. Thousands of years.

Alone?

Only some magic tricks I'm afraid.

Printing Press

Fuck off, Biff.

You can build a proper working printing press?
As in literally build one with your own hands?

Most isekai have magic, so they allow the highschooler to just put out the idea and magic serves as the power source to let time travel happen.

Some isekai have commented on this. In Overlord, there's the Boastful Sage who tells everyone about wonderful items but can't explain why they look like they do, or how they work/are built. Magic only partially replicates what he says.

Yes

I'm going to invent this symbol and spread it around schools. I'm not going to profit off of it, but I'm going to that guy who invented it.

Damn I didn't know GoT is that sophisticated.

>Don't isekai authors realize that without the support of the rest of society, your average highschooler wouldn't even know how to make a toaster, let alone a gun?
Have you not watched the rest of the show, or are you one of those idiots who thinks this was a plot hole because that knowledge didn't help him at all? Because what you're describing is exactly what happens.

Then the question is why the geniuses of the world with access to magic haven't already figured out that shit, and the answer can only ever be "because the stereotypical JRPG world doesn't have any of that crap".

Hero's war is good isekai in this regard.

>>Japanese highschooler uses his 21st century command of science and technology to transform a primitive society meme

I have never actually read a isekai where the protagonist uses actual science to revolutionize shit.
90% of the time he simply uses magic mixed with some science like how a lot of isekai make magic guns or magic engines and shit.

Even the fuckign isekai where the protagonist has a smartphone with access to the internet doesn't actually has him using science. Seriously, you'd think the one time it would be justified for a hikkineet to revolutionize a medieval world would be where he has a magic phone with google-sensei but the author fucking wastes that shit.

Anyway, I'd like to read about a super smart genious that brings a bunch of modern-ish techs (guns, cars, etc) to a medieval world without relying on magic shit.

That sort of happens in Shield Hero

Ha ha, people are retards

yeah but that's in the background by a villain
I want to follow the protag going from making bows to making crossbows to making guns
Obviously the guy would have to be a huge gary stu to be so talented but I think it would be worth it

Depending on what area of the world I'm in I invent the hamburger as a fast and easy to carry and eat working class food. I possibly also invent donuts.

I can cook a mean grilled cheese

The citizens are averse to change.
In konosuba the protag made dynamites, but with exploding potions instead of nitroglycerin.
Exploding potions are not used because potions are supposed to heal things and because they have magic.

The party's wizard takes offense at the dynamite's existence, since it devalues her magic.

I guess those guards didn't wash their hands before the beating

Read Though it's not Japanese...

>The party's wizard takes offense at the dynamite's existence, since it devalues her magic.
that's not really a valid example, Megumin is dumb who cares what she thinks

I don't need to prove it, I need to find someone willing to be a patron for my wacky ideas and then work up from there.

And by up from there I mean industrial production of opiates. We cartel now.

High-heeled boots.

you guys wouldn't even be able to speak the language

remember in Planet of the Apes when he showed them that he could make paper planes and write and stuff
and they still tried to kill him
Even after he was able to talk to them

Blast from the past, my man.

Nobuna no Yabou has the MC do it with history and way too many video games.

But then it starts fucking him because he's altering the past away from what he knows.

Maybe, but even if they do, they also know what's more important than being realistic is pandering to their audience of dropout NEETs with massive egos who think they're "smart but lazy" but are actually just dumb losers.

The average "smart but lazy" dumb loser NEET likes to think they could accomplish anything if they just tried and are totally super smart and build any modern device from scratch purely because they use know how to use the devices so you have to not shatter their delusion to keep them buying your trite dogshit LN.

You know how people get patrons for their shit? By having connections. Which requires you to be sociable. Most anons aren't good at that.

We're assuming the MC isn't dropped off in a land filled with niggers though

Why are people so attached to realism in a story about a dude being teleported to a different world trough magic?

>Anyway, I'd like to read about a super smart genious that brings a bunch of modern-ish techs (guns, cars, etc) to a medieval world without relying on magic shit

>The citizens are averse to change.
>Exploding potions are not used because potions are supposed to heal things and because they have magic.
That's ridiculous. Military utility trumps "muh change". Almost from the beginning of people understanding the power held by the atom, people were considering its potential military application. That's like saying "Molotov cocktails are not used because bottles are for drinking from".

Innovation leads to things like using the toxic gases created as a byproduct of industry as a weapon on the battlefield.

Like what has been said by several in this thread, knowing about it is one thing, getting others to accept it and fighting against the current beleifs is another. In planet of the apes they wanted to kill him because his very existence went against the view and history of humans the apes had built up.

>He doesn't speak Latin
You posted something there, but all I could see was "bar bar bar."

Why do people always think "lol magic" is a valid excuse for illogical and just plain bad writing?

Just because the laws of physics may be different in a fictional story doesn't everyone has to act stupid and you can't criticize it.

western people also make isekai?

Long before Japan was. Complete with cheat abilities and waifus.

Sure

>everyone has to act stupid
but your complain is the opposite of it, you're complaining that the isekai protagonist is too smart, and the average neet wouldn't be that smart

how is that an issue of realism?

Why are people so obsessed with weaponry?
It's like they have an inherent distrust for their fellow man.

>Then the question is why the geniuses of the world with access to magic haven't already figured out that shit, and the answer can only ever be "because the stereotypical JRPG world doesn't have any of that crap".

Anticipating future technology is hard.

Look at all of the science fiction from earlier than the 1980's. None of them predicted the internet, or a telecom-based wireless world we live in today, even though a wireless world was a likelier scenario than developing FTL.

>what is The Chronicles of Narnia
>what is Alice in Wonderland
>what is Gulliver's Travels

>Military utility trumps "muh change".
Depends on the culture.
Also to answer OP a lot of modern technology that is not that complicated to invent, it just took centuries of blind luck to actually stumble upon them.
See: steam engine, magnets/electricity even the basic principles of computers.
Anyone here could probably "invent" a steam engine and a basic power generator. The bigger problem would be using that electricity for things other than heat, motors and lamps.

To be fair, Konosuba explicitly takes place in an RPG world.

You know I don't think I ever really complained about "realism" so much as just pointed out why it's written that way.

>He hasn't read his Gibson
Shame on you, user.

I'll be honest, I don't think most of the anons here know how to build a battery or how steam engines work, and most almost certanly don't understand how something like an electric motor or light bulb works.

sorry I misunderstood your point then

>light bulb
Electricity goes into wires in bulb and makes light and is hot?

Even though those thigs are just like, 5th grade science projects?

I mean, I did make a light bulb and a battery for my 4th grade science fair. It isn't that difficult.

Steam engines had been invented for hundreds of years, but they really sucked, tended to explode, and had no practical utility. They only managed to catch on initially in Britain because they could be used to pump water out of coal mines of which Britain had many to get more coal, where there was an easy supply of shitloads of coal to fuel the shitty inefficient engines and where the water cooled them and prevented explosion, and this provided the impetus to create better engines that only later were different uses found for. It was as much environmental, social, and economic factors that allowed for the Industrial Revolution as scientific geniuses, which a high schooler would have trouble creating in a matter of a few short years while he is still a teenager.

I could design the parts required for a bicycle, which could advance technology several hundred years because of things like the bike chain and gears.

What could gears and chains do? Indoor semi-powered fans. a complex gear system of windmills powering indoor fans for air circulation int he summer time and better bellows for forging.

What else could chains and gears be used for? Miniguns. Gunpowder is sulfer, saltpeter, and charcoal, then all you need is iron barrels, which are easy, relatively speaking. With the advent of gunpowder and guns, you introduce rifling at the same time, now instead of mini cannons that you have to aim and hope, you aim and the bullet goes where you aim, suddenly the world gets a lot deadlier and less resources are wasted on armor because its useless against a bullet.

Really, your question is stupid not because of the way its asked, but because of what its NOT asking. Its one thing to know how to explain shit, its another to explain shit in a manner that lesser minds understand. You can tell people that saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur make gunpowder, but if they dont know what sulfur or saltpeter are, look like, or smell/taste like its useless information. You ever tried explaining why the sky is blue to a child? They dont understand concepts like electromagnetic radiation or light wavelengths.

>battery
Probably not you actually need to kinda know chemistry for that.
>steam engine
steam engines are incredible simple in principle and so are electric motors.

But do you also know how to blow glass and forge metal? How to get gasses into the glass bulb? How about how to create the electricity that goes into it?

Things I actually know how to do and could do given relatively common contemporary materials:
>electrical lighting
>the radio
>electric motors
>batteries
>water powered electrical generator
>modern explosives
>central heating/cooling
>the microwave
>and more

I have degrees in electrical engineering and chemical engineering. This is the life of someone who was obsessive about this shit throughout his education.

>things an average joe could implement
The world is fucking round
Plumbing/sewer system
Proper agriculture/canal systems
Explosives
The concept of electricity
And the most important ones, religion, culture, music

>steam engines are incredible simple in principle and so are electric motors.
>in principle
Now try to make something efficient with it that can beat the stupid power of a horse to make machinery work.

>Electrical lighting
Good luck not getting assassinated by the candle-maker cartels

You cant make any of that, even music would be extremaly hard to make trendy

You're overestimating yourself, or the average Joe. Most people don't know anything more than 'that + - thing with wire' about electricity.

But is there any blacksmith skilled enough to make precise gears and chains that it would require?

As for the minigun, great, you invented black powder (Not gunpowder, although very similar and uses the same primary ingredients), but you haven't invented the cartridge yet. Or a shock sensitive primer to make the cartridge work.

I don't know how I would convince anyone to follow what I say but I do know enough theoretical knowledge about agriculture to help

also everyone on Sup Forums now knows how to make gunpowder

That's what the explosives are for.

Where's muh animay about our good hero trying to bring electricity to the world while dodging assassination attempts from candle-maker cartels

I'd get some nerds to work on all that for me.
I don't need to invent them myself, I just need the concept and have others do it for me while I rake in the profits.
Be a businessman.

You missed my point entirely. It doesn't matter if you know what youre doing if you cant explain it to people that have no idea what youre talking about.

>The world is fucking round

Not adapted for hundreds of years and people got lynched and executed for it

>Plumbing/sewer system

Plumbing took 250+ years before it was implemented

>Proper agriculture/canal systems
>Explosives
>The concept of electricity

What is magic

>religion, culture, music

Destroyed, competed out, night impossibly to make trendy unless you are extremely talented with years of experince