Has anyone here ever watched this MASTERPIECE?

Has anyone here ever watched this MASTERPIECE?

Just ended it and god fuckin' damn.
This was one hell of a fuckin anime.

They don't make 'em like this anymore unfortunately

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e9flDw-JApg
youtube.com/watch?v=tl0kL7NixLY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>They don't make 'em like this anymore unfortunately
Putting stuff like that into the OP is really asking to have your thread ruined.
I wonder if it's intentional.

Meh, this probably be an empty thread. Really few people here watch old timey anime.

I'm saying they don't make em like this anymore in the sense that it was good to have an anime without bland archetype characters

Rikishi-theme song is fuckin awsoeme
Also, best rival

Most of Sup Forums has seen this. You are a decade late on this topic.

I downloaded it about a month after I started boxing but I haven't seen it. I started watching Ippo and I got so hype I couldn't stay in my chair. I had to stop, it was too much. Started watching RAINBOW and boxing somehow slipped it's way into that series. Great shit.

How does Joe compare?

Ippo is fuckin awsoeme too and it made me want to box.

Ashita no joe is way more agressive and it shows the real consequences of takin a lot of punches in the head.

I must say that ashita no joe has more depth than hajime no ippo and it's way sadder too

Remember that they belong to different eras of boxing. Boxing back then was way more famous as well as really dangerous

He's not wrong at all.

It may be for a moment, but my fire roars up so bright and hot , it's almost blinding.
And then...All that remains is pure white ash.

Do you remember?

Ippo is Rocky,while Joe is Raging Bull.

Ippo is above average while Joe is a near masterpiece.

>Do you remember?

What?

Yeah, pretty much this

Ashita no joe is absolutely unpredictable while hajime no ippo is already tainted by the typical shounen archetypal cannon

Oh baby

>How does Joe compare?
Ashita no Joe is best manga ever made, so, yeah, the anime is good.

I haven't read the manga.
I just watched the anime but the artwork from the manga seems mesmerizing

imperative

tfw

Isn't the anime too long for the story? The manga has almost as many chapters as the anime does episodes.

>Has anyone here ever watched this MASTERPIECE?
No. No one has ever watched this.

You have to read it. Watch it as well but don't neglect reading it.

The post-rikishi arc was pretty intense

Joe Yabuki... You are very very strong man.

Japanese people speaking english is fuckin hilarious...

Poor carlos

Why do you type like that?

Jose was a beast and Carlos along with Joe got to know the power of his fists.
Man, the talent Chiba had with the manga and Dezaki with tge adaptation is unbelievable.

Just look at this, the light, pace, music. Everything is in place.
youtu.be/e9flDw-JApg

You'd be wrong on that, quite a lot actually.

>[starvation intensifies]

Joe is great, but what took me by surprise was Youko's character. For some reasons I expected a cheerleader but instead she was complex and dignified.
Also this part is just the best ;_;

I hate when people like OP act like that.

This anime isn't perfect by any stretch but it has a special place in my heart. It got under my skin on another level.

youtube.com/watch?v=tl0kL7NixLY

It's one of my top favorite shows, easily. Dezaki's best work imo.

Depressing though, I managed to not be spoiled about Rikishi and Joe dying in the ring, both of which took a lot out of me.

Older shows did this a lot. Anime used to be much slower paced and budget wasn't as much of a concern, so there was no rush to complete the story in a set amount of time. I prefer the slower pacing of older anime but I can see why others wouldn't.

Ippo is more like Karate Kid than it is Rocky, setting aside what flavor of combat is being used, honestly.

It's personally one of my favorite anime for being so surprisingly relatable and unique compared to really any other sports anime. Pic related scene hurts my soul.

Osamu Dezaki is kind of known for liking to write a lot of original content for the series he adapts, and it works wonders in the case of Ashita no Joe.
Without the original content in Ashita no Joe, Jose Mendoza would have appeared in pretty much only two episodes and only have ever spoken in the final match, a lot of the more intimate scenes between Joe, Danpei, and Nishi wouldn't exist, Gondo would not have had much of a presence, and the entirety of Wolf Kanagushi's appearance in season 2 would have been non-existent.

The anime may be much longer than the manga, but fortunately they don't stretch content out like you expect, they only expand on what was already there so the length is definitely a worthwhile trade-off.

Warning: Do not expect much out of the actual boxing bits of Ashita no Joe, they're not very realistic nor do they even really make much sense internally until Ashita no Joe 2. It nails their portrayal of a lot of the sport outside of the ring including psychology and in general how the characters are written, but they really don't try at all with the actual fights.

I think S1 is a bit overrated but S2 fixes a lot of the pacing issues and makes the Carlos Arc 10x better. Overall, it's definitely worth a watch.

Give me some advice anons Im on episode 56 but I heard I should skip the rest and head straight to S2.

>Give me some advice anons Im on episode 56 but I heard I should skip the rest and head straight to S2.

You can do that if you want to.
The last 20 or so episodes of Ashita no Joe 1 are definitely the most controversial since the ending is absolute shit and the entire arc is slow, drawn out, repetitive, and just not a very entertaining watch in general.

However, the first 12 episodes of Season 2 do that arc except much better by having faster pacing, a better more palatable tone/atmosphere, anime original scenes that add more to the characters, generally more exciting scene direction (Plus updated art & animation), and a much better conclusion to the arc rather than the non-ending in season 1.

In the end though it's your choice. Season 2 specifically picks up after episode 53, so do whatever you want.

just read the manga

thanks lad

If you enjoy older anime, go with the older version - take a week break and go into S2 after.

S2 was done better, but I felt a bit of whiplash suddenly having too strong colors and lens flares glaring through every scene.

Finish it faggot.

>Most of Sup Forums has seen this.

You're a decade late on that statement.

A decade ago Ashita no Joe wasn't even translated into English in any form. Its only within the past 3-4 years that Hox translated the entire manga, Saizen translated all of Season 1, and Takara and Crunchyroll translated Season 2.

I don't know if we're even talking about the same show here. I'm on episode 70 right now and it's been a slow fucking watch. Massively overrated on Sup Forums, the boxing is absolute bullshit, and the only thing it really has going for it is its style. Here's to hoping season 2 will be better.

Ashita no joe is extremely fucking great. Though i have to say that the fight with the spinning caveman felt retarded and out of place

Pretty much. You're at worst like a few months late.

The part of Ashita no Joe 2 that bugged me the most is when the top ranked boxer dies in a car crash for absolutely no reason. What was up with that?