Saw this shit in cinemas yesterday. Holy fuck was it fantastic. And I usually don't like Shinkai all that much

Saw this shit in cinemas yesterday. Holy fuck was it fantastic. And I usually don't like Shinkai all that much.

When's the BD coming out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably about March 2017.

I agree though, I loved it.

It was good. It wasn't great. Was a lot better than shinkai's other works though.

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

I was expecting another 5 cm per second, but I enjoyed this a lot more. In my opinion it was great.

This stopped being funny two years ago

I wanted more feet though.

is it sappy like 5cm?

Nope. It's still Shinkai so there's a bittersweet romance in typical Shinkai formula that you either like or you don't, but there's a lot more comedy, plot and healing in this film.

You all realize this movie was basically propaganda to get the japs to start dating each other again, right?

Stop posting Keit-ai because it's already an anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Mononoke as #3 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 19.49 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now projected to possibly approach 20 billion yen (US$200 million).
>Nominated for an Oscar

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

It shouldn't work. No one as great as Mitsuha exists in real life. It just sets unrealistic expectations and makes men further recluse into the 2D world which is infinitely superior to 3DPD.
It hasn't been nominated yet. It's just in the running for nomination. No nominations for the academy awards have been made.

Even if it is nominated, it has a very uphill battle. It'll be up against Kubo, Moana, Finding Dory, Zootopia, etc. which aren't good films but are far more academy friendly than Kimi no Na wa is.

If it does win, then it'll surpass Spirited Away as Japan's most profitable film. But it's a long shot.

Not OP but also saw it yesterday.

It's a Shikai romance, so some sappiness is to be expected.

On the other hand, it's also much easier to digest than 5cm/s owing to a more conventional plot structure and the happy ending.

You forgot to turn on your filter, user.

Keit-ai is getting the same upward trajectory as Donald Trump.

>Trump won't win the polls
>Trump won't win against Jeb Bush
>Trump won't win against Ted Cruz
>Trump won't win the primaries
>The Republicans won't let him get the nomination
>Trump won't win against Hillary CLinton
>Trump won't get the presidency
>Trump won't make it past 4 years
>Trump won't be reelected

Meme magic is real.

>which aren't good films
They're all better films that Kimi no Na wa

No, they're not.

Yes, they are

No, they're not.

No, they're not!

What makes Mitsuha great?

>>Nominated for an Oscar

nope.jpg

>Nominated for an Oscar
Not really

She's cute.
She's feminine.

I could go into specific aspects of her personality that are attractive, but we're 2 for 2 and she already beats 99% of real women.

>Nominated for an Oscar
nope

Fuck, I remember seeing a really nice feet pic when searching for Mitsuha lewds but I don't think I saved it.

>when searching for Mitsuha lewds
Hi. Please kill yourself. Thanks.

Hent-Ai finds a way.

>not wanting lewd Mitsuhas

Teshi pls

Finding Dory wasn;t that good, so I'd discount it. Moana has the whole 'cultural appropriation' bugbear about as well, which might hinder it. Really, the biggest threat would be Zootopia. It's Disney, has a decent message about tolerance and judgement and is well made.

While I would love to see Kimi no Na wa win an Oscar, I doubt it'll get getting anything more than a nod.

>Finding Dory wasn;t that good
Public opinion disagrees with you.

>Finding Dory wasn;t that good
Jesus Christ fuck off Sup Forums!

This. I don't even know what the fuck happened to me.
It's like I lose all my sexual desire after watching this movie.

It wasn't. Literally a retread.

>Literally a retread.
Wow you didn't even watch it.

Agreed. It was a pointless sequal about pointless side characters. It didn't add anything new and the message was one we'd had a dozen times before in other movies.

Pixar's gone to shit. They used to make grade A Movies like WALL-E, Up, Rattatoille and the Incredibles. Now all they make is shitty sequels to their lesser known movies.

Moana isn't getting any sort of buzz. Disney was banking on it being another Frozen.
Its a meme at this point because people here are sick of Pixar winning. It was certainly more original than Your Name that's for you.

When will we get a theater release for the US? Do we have to wait till Funi dubs it for that?
I wanna take a grill to see it

I don't know how you do it. I could never watch anime with other people around.

Wait until you've sat in a theatre so crowded there isn't a single seat unoccupied. That was my screening of Kimi no Na wa yesterday.

> Jap festival in mexico city decides to screen this
>Get excited
>Only 2 days 4 plays
>Sold the fuck out after 2 minutes
I want to kill myself

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

What? How do you not have a release in the US? We got it in New Zealand.

It wasn't that bad at my screening. No obnoxious weebs, lots of asians. The only times they laughed were when it was appropriate to do so (I laughed too, it's a funny film).

I don't know, m8. It's not in my local theaters, at least.

One cunt laughed when Mitsuha fell when running down the road at my session

What the fuck, that's a dick move.
I started crying when she looked at her hand during that scene. The audience was quite for the whole final 20 minutes due to how tense it was.

Auckland actually.

Where did you go to see it?

>Where did you go to see it?
Academy Cinemas, 3:30 pm. It was about 3/4s full, lots of empty seats up the front around where I was sitting. Up the back was pretty crowded though.

>Cinema near showing it in a few days.
>too autistic to go by myself.
I'll just wait for the BD

Event Cinemas Albany 6:30 pm, full to the brim. Was very surprised there was so many people there.

Academy Cinemas has like ~7 screenings of it so it didn't surprise me that it wasn't that full, even though it was their first screening. I kind of want to see it again, I really liked it and there's no good download for it.

If they're doing more Screenings I might take myself off to another one. Would be worth it to confirm my suspicion that Senpai was Pregnant in that last scene where she and Taki were catching up (I could have sworn her belly was bulging when we first saw her again).

Doesn't look like it to me. I downloaded the really crappy chinese screener rip last night because I wanted to rewatch some of my favourite scenes again.

What part of Auckland do you live in? I'm guessing up north?

Milford. I brought my ticket almost a month before, so I literally got the very best seat in the entire theater, back row dead middle. Perfect view.

Oh yeah, I'm still not very familiar with that part of the city since I'm not from here, I moved here for University and live in the CBD.

>Live in the CBD

I pity you. Horrible living conditions.

AUT or AU?

>I pity you. Horrible living conditions.
It could be worse. It's nice being a 5 minute walk from everything that matters. You can go to the gym, the supermarket, into town, to school or wherever just on a whim. I do need to get out once or twice a year though to stay sane.

I go to UoA.

Question!

So are they the same age, or is the girl 3 years older?

3 years older
she's christmas cake by the end

Then it truly is the perfect love.

You ever been involved with the Anime/Manga Club? I got into an argument with one of them at the club stall over what constituted a good Tsundere. And what was worse was that as part of the History Society I was wearing my WWII Marine Corps Uniform. That was awkward.

>You ever been involved with the Anime/Manga Club?
Nope. I've been thinking of joining but something keeps telling me it's not a good idea. Probably due to all my years on Sup Forums.
>I got into an argument with one of them at the club stall over what constituted a good Tsundere.
Pic related, right?

Private Animey

Based on my interactions with them, they're the sort who'd look down on Sup Forums and all who post here. Also the guy thought Louise from Familiar of Zero was a good Tsundere.

>Also the guy thought Louise from Familiar of Zero was a good Tsundere.
Christ.

I take it you go to UoA too then?

Master's Degree in History. While I wanted to do it on Japanese visits to the South Pacific in the Meiji Era, our Japanese professor went to Japan for the year, so I missed out. Instead, the History of the Navy. Not quite as relevant to my hobbies, but good enough.

You got Steam or something dude? I'll add you.

Yeah, heard some some kids near me call them out for laughing

There were literally 4 people in the theatre when I went.

Good thing too, basically no one to ruin the experience.

Not him but when I went to go watch the movie in an Australian theater it was completely full.

Other than the laughter at unfunny moments and the clapping at the end it wasn't so bad.

I apologise but I have to decline, if only because while I love this place to bits I'm savvy enough to know better than to give out my information online.

On a different note I feel sorry for hijacking the thread for this long. Needless to say I loved the film and want to see it get recognition outside Japan.

>I apologise but I have to decline, if only because while I love this place to bits I'm savvy enough to know better than to give out my information online.
I'll keep an eye out for the guy in the WW2 uniform lecturing weebs about tsunderes next open day.

>Other than the laughter at unfunny moments
But the film was funny?

Shinkai seems to have a thing for older women, which is perfectly fine by me.

The friend in Beyond the Clouds was implied to be getting into a relationship with the slightly older researcher chick, we all know how Garden of Feet turned out, and now this.

I'm prominent in the History Society, can't be hard to miss. Next March in O-Week I should be on the History Society Stall again.

I'd say it was amusing but not a laugh out loud funny

Because fuck Funimation that's why

>Live in China for two years
>Return to the US at the end of September
>Your Name just got its nationwide release in China today
>Tfw my Chinese friend gets to see it in theaters and I have to settle for the shitty screener leak until Funimation finds their balls and releases it in US theaters

I never should have came home.

I saw LAfags say in an earlier thread that they didn't want to drive to see it this week and I wanted to fucking strangle them cause I'm on the goddamn east coast.

Damn the art and sound is too good for a cam rip, I would just wait for the BD to come out

I haven't seen a second of it and I already hate it.

Fuck, Keit-Ai is so good!

>saw this shit in cinemaS
You went two two different cinemas to watch it? Twice? Why?

Yeah, I decided I didn't want to wait months for a US theater release or the BD release. I'm able to tolerate any video quality that's not a cam rip; it's a pretty shitty screener since it has watermarks, but it got the job done. I was able to get immersed in it and ignore the mediocre video quality.

That being said I'm still seeing it in theaters and getting the BD at the earliest opportunity.

Was it worth watching the screener or do you regret it?

Watched in AUS the day it came out. It was a real disappointment.

>live in small Australian town
>even we have it when half of US don't
heh, nothin personnel

>Sappy film
>can invite a girl saying it's Japanese freaky Friday

Take a date with you user

Wanna go with me user?

As I said, I don't regret it cause I felt the story was so moving that I was able to ignore the poor quality of the screener.

Whether you would regret depends on what kind of person you are. If you find it too hard to enjoy a movie at anything less than 1080p, then you would probably regret watching the screener. If you are more patient than me, then maybe you should wait for a proper release.

Look at the screenshot here and decide for yourself if you can tolerate the screener's video quality or if you want to wait.

I honestly feel this movie is too much of an emotional roller coaster to be a good first-date film. I also wouldn't want to bawl in front of someone I'm just getting to know. So I'd only see it with someone I was in a relationship with. And God knows when that will happen so I'll probably see it in theaters alone.

inb4 daily reminder

But if she cries and you don't you'll look like a real man, and you might not be a wizard

I'd cry like a bitch user, I can't help being a wizard

I'm disappointed in you

So am I