"we don't want no tits and moeblob highschoolers like anime of today"

>"we don't want no tits and moeblob highschoolers like anime of today"
>"we want moar GITS and Akira when anime was GOAT back in the daaaaayy in my edgy OVA/movie scene"
>#KEEPANIMEALIVE
>fucks over production costs thanks to mismanagement of funds or lack thereof
>delivers a piss-poor excuse of an episode that looks nothing like the PV trailer
>filled with moeblob highschoolers and titty fanservice of your main heroine
>artbook is more like a production character profile book that only contains a few pages with none of the old concept art shown in the PV

>only saving grace being a unique statue figurine of the heroine as designed of character designer Kozaki Yuseke: gets cancelled

WAKE ME UP

Other urls found in this thread:

under-the-dog.com/en/news/digital-rewards-part2/
foolz.fireden.net/a/thread/122523158/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wait, the kickstarter for this actually succeeded? I took one look at it when the project first launched and knew it'd be hot garbage after only a few paragraphs.

It's almost like it was a scam.

If only some handsome, roguish user had told you it was a scam, and that it looked retardedly gay.

>crowdfunding anything ever
If a company can't manage to fund its own products, then it's a shit company. I don't know why anybody thought a crowdfunded anime would be any different.

i cant believe people fell for this lmao

The episode was 38 minutes and cost $871k. It was mediocre.
>under-the-dog.com/en/news/digital-rewards-part2/
>Figurine canceled
KEK
>Ever since the start of the Under the Dog Kickstarter project, figure production has been the most difficult and we have tried our best to realize it for the past two years. Therefore, it is our greatest regret to announce that we are unable to produce the Anthea figurine as originally promised on Kickstarter.
>Refund of $200 made to your PayPal account, For those who are on OPERATIONS OFFICER ($500 tier) and above, or have ordered the figure as add-on or pre-order on our online store
They fucked up.
Kickstarter will always work if they know what they're doing.

Was it really that bad? I never watched it since I prefer my SUFFERING to last more than 1 ep.

>Refund of $200
At least they're refunding it?

In my opinion it would be bad if they didn't.
>$580,000 - Total - Broken down as follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------
>$232,000 - 40% - Animation Production - This is the budget for the actual design, direction, and animation of said 24 mins. Note the project will actually cost closer to $350,000.
>$174,000 - 30% - Backer Rewards - Budget for reward production, warehousing, shipping, etc.
>$87,000 - 15% - Pre-Production - Money we would like to recoup from investing our own funds in the trailer (of which we have actually spent in excess of $100,000)
>$29,000 - 5% - Operational Costs - Budget for operational costs such as daily staff, web hosting, paying bills, etc.
>$29,000 - 5% - KS fees - KS levies fees for all KS campaigns. They need to make their money too
>$29,000 - 5% - Amazon Credit Card fees - The fees from Amazon Payments

I want to say 'they deserved it' but unfortunately, they probably did like it anyway and ironically believe pic related.

The 'scam' isn't KS itself, it's the people running it, mainly the PR guy.

we should convince the guy from the Katawa shoujo project to head the animation

That's sad uh. What a scumbag. Did Sup Forums ever had hope for it? Didn't saw the threads when it was announced.

Sup Forums was mocking it throughout the campaign, which was probably why when it got funded, some redditor decided to start shit by making that pic

People still remember this existed?

It's not the MN9 of anime but it's not doing any more favors to crowdfunding, I'll tell you that

I feel like it's the exact middle of the road for KS. It actually got funded, actually made a product, but didn't live up to it's potential and made a forgettable product.

The "saving anime" marketing was shitty though.

They took it a completely different direction than what the original Kickstarter was. The setting and plot were shit and they could have managed better if they made a single episode about Anthea being operator as fuck.

They didn't even manage to make the figures? What the fuck.

Something like 15 minutes of the OVA was just credits listing all the people who got scammed.

Under the Dog saved anime GA HA HA HA HA

While there was clapping in the background.

Akira was lower than garbage, literally the only good thing about it was the animation. Westerners are shallow as usual, even shallower than the nippon moe fags who at least like the girls because they have cute personalities and behaviors. baka senpai

Also, the Akira manga was an improvement but still terrible.

>Something like 15 minutes of the OVA was just credits listing all the people who got scammed.
Trying really hard not to compare this to MN9 and you're not helping

>crediting all of the people that gave money to the production is somehow a bad thing

It is if the OVA wasn't even that long.

>4 hours of mighty number 9 credits

>reddit got scammed hard

Now you're just being a contrary retard for the sake of it.

>The episode was 38 minutes and cost $871k.
Huw much should 38 minutes really cost?

$300K would be pushing it.

kek, I wonder how it feels for these guys to know the UTD killed Kickstarters for anime

Should have been a bestiality hentai ova.

>We don't want moe or LN-based anime

>tell people what they want to hear
>reap in the money
>deliver a shit product
>"Oh well"

i love masturbating so much.

If only we could have made this.

Fuck off.

Not that guy, but LNs are garbage and so are their adaptations.

>missing the point
The point people are making is that UTD ends up being the very thing they're dismissing and claiming they're avoid.

Akira has 0 value besides its art. A bunch of teens flocked to it and the nostalgia is the only thing driving it. The only thing anyone can even remember about it is quotes reduced to memery and the bike, precisely because it has no other worthwhile content.

The manga does a much better fleshing out the characters but it's still poor because they have poor motives and the plot is out of their control most of the time. They're little more than victims, but I have no reason to pity them because they're boring.

I actually expected it to get funded. Had full confidence it would hit its goal to be honest.

But that doesn't mean I supported it or even cared for the tone they took. It was going to get picked up by idiots and by easily won over redditors anyway.

Of course it's going to get funded. This is the sort of person backing it.

>:)
>^_^
>:(

bunch of faggots

>it's from a genre that isn't really done that much anymore
>so it'll be just as good as the old pinnacle examples
Oh man you couldn't be more wrong.

Your fault for being ignorant enough to think it would work out.

>say you'll make anime great again
>scam $800k off reddit

Is it really that easy

Unless you're Yamakan.

Yes, just make sure you got the right checklists of words to say. Keywords or phrases to consider would be
>manly anime
>serious, mature themes
>90s golden age OVAs (this bit is very important)
>mock moe CGDCT SoLs
>anime industry is dying and it's time for foreign fans like you to save it

The OVA was 28 minutes long. The main credits were 2 minutes and the backer credits were 8 minutes. I understand that people like to take the piss out of it because of the terrible Kickstarter, but there's a point where you're just being needlessly petty.

That last one really is the clincher.

Yes, backer, I know the ego stroking is very important to you. It's very important that a mere 28 min OVA has a credit that's longer than even a standard Hollywood movie with a larger list of participants.

You are a fool if you haven't been paying attention to the PR: they're very good at sucking up to the backers. Other crowdsoured anime isn't even this egoistic. It's not petty, it's just you being blind.

>This will lead the way for others
Something like this won't happen again for at least another decade because of Under the Dog

I'd give it four or five years, 'though even that kind'a sucks. Talk about pissing in the water.

Is UTD the only KS backed anime you know? Also, it's not 'petty', it misrepresents the actual length of the product.

>RollMike

Hello Sup Forums

What's your favorite version of his nickname?

Sasuga anime leddit helped funding.

>reddit makes a pic to fuck up with Sup Forums
>uses green text
Oh reddit, you never disappoint me.

>reddit
It was clearly Sup Forums doing it, they are the ones embarrassingly obsessed with hating modern anime.

Can't decide what's worse. Never being credited for anime or funding a shitty anime.

I didn't give a cent to Under The Dog and I don't think it's necessary to have credits that long, I just think it's a dumb thing to complain about, especially when you start making things up to make it look worse.

>>"we want moar GITS and Akira when anime was GOAT back in the daaaaayy in my edgy OVA/movie scene"

This is the shit that made me think the whole thing was full of shit. They want their serious 90s shit back, when the only OVAs really like that were probably from Kawajiri, and then the first visuals you see are brightly lit utopian setting with cute school girls. Fuckin' Christ, you're making Burn Up! look dark and unique by comparison.

Okay, why did this succeed and Devil's Legacy didn't? This knowledge may come in handy.

Hidetsugu Ito's animation was the only good thing to come out of this lame OVA.

UTD had some experienced staff working on it, Devil's Legacy was by some literal whos.

Why not both.

The original concepts for UTD wasn't terrible (sure, it's not as big a deal as they claim, but on the whole it was mediocre at worst and it actually does look decent, design wise). Meanwhile DL's was the sort that people used for making fun of deviant art users.

Also, the CEO for DL went full retard.

Watched it the other day. Was pretty interesting but needs a series. Ando is an underrated director

You're just embarrassing yourself at this point

>Has someone posted the kickstarter on Sup Forums anime board? Sup Forums is pretty popular like rerddit, so informing people over at Sup Forums will at least get a few more people to pledge.
I wanted to laugh but then I remembered someone actually did pledge.

It's been two years already? I still remember the threads, I had souch fun.

Devil's Legacy threads were way funnier.

Careful or you're going to get sued, user.

I was very happy when they announced the figure is cancelled and we can get refunds, as I've completely disavowed UtD and would get a full refund if only I could. Yes I did shell out for the figure, but I thought they were going to make what's in the trailer. And I buy a lot of figures. Too bad for anyone who still wanted the figure though.

>fucks over production costs thanks to mismanagement of funds or lack thereof
No, they just scrapped their original plans and existing work. The stuff that was in the trailer. They probably found out early on that they'd get a TV deal and that somehow motivated them to re-engineer the OVA. I don't know what else could explain it.

The retards who payed for it got exactly what they deserved.

Yeah, money started rolling in after they stopped trying to shill it on Sup Forums and went to reddit instead.
They took really well to their "you're saving the anime industry by donating to us"-marketing.

People had no way of knowing that they would scrap their original work and start from scratch and that the producers would leave. And these were seasoned anime pros so there was no reason to expect anything like that.

The UnderTheDogPR guy probably really believed what he was saying there, just like the guy he was replying to.

Make it dark!

Was this the shit that wanted to have 400 protagonists or something like that?

He's talking about how when CIA left the project "Due to creative differences" kinema citrus had to hire replacement staff for the now vacant positions and during this time found out that they had never set up a proper budget for operational costs. They also underestimated the cost of the kickstarter rewards, which was a leading factor in the cancellation of the figures.

>put $500 monopoly money into the kickstarter
>wait months for anything
>social media machine kicks in to hype the release
>it's everything they said it wouldn't be
>red herring the highschool girl to get normalfags/moefags to watch
Too bad. I had a balanced hope for this thing, but children/emasculated men cannot make anime like the real men of the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe next year.

Yeah, they just looked so competent, who could have known that it would turn out to be shit. Hint: everybody who isn't retarded.

If they had continued on with their original work instead of starting over they would have had significantly less problems.

Most of the trailer looked good (and it was a trailer for a Kickstarter campaign, not something they had already finished). Have you actually watched it?

Fuck off 3DPD.

TEN FATHERS

There's only 9 fathers left. 1 died, remember.

These Kickstarter projects are a fucking joke anyway

Little Witch Academia 2 wasn't.

Oh, it "moves".

9/10 i laffed
I miss that thread. If only I could find that thread in the archives. So much good shit was in it

foolz.fireden.net/a/thread/122523158/

wait where is the episode? can it be downloaded? on the internet?

It's on Nyaa.

What's our excuse for keit-ai not existing?

The promo art is an all girl cast with their tits out, did people expect anything but Izetta-level stuff?

Unofficial Kickstarter projects that aren't by established studios are