Is this scene iconic because it's bad or is it because it's actually good?

Is this scene iconic because it's bad or is it because it's actually good?

Nothing in Eva is iconic for being bad. The series is basically a religion for a lot of people.

It's iconic because the director managed to turn something that should have been bad into something good.

can't you feel the inner struggle of shinji?

Congratulations.

If I did, I'd repress it and try to never admit it. If I pretended I did, I'd have no way of knowing whether I was just lying to myself and in fact I really do. So the only thing I can do is reply to your post ironically, while in fact I feel it several times per day.

It's fucking brilliant. It manages to convey Shinji's difficulty in deciding what to do without showing him and without some stupid as inner monologue. The juxtaposition between the music and the context of the previous scene and this one is great. The length of it is perfect as well. Really sets the viewer on edge. You become impatient waiting for Shinji to make a choice.

Unironically one of my favorite scenes in Eva.

>not posting the .gif

When the budget cuts hit.

It's great that they managed to create something unique and iconic because of budget limitations.

It's much better than overproduced and expensive shitshow that are the rebuilds

/thread

I won't argue that the rebuilds suck, but pretending the budget cuts are a good thing is bullshit. For such a tight budget, the ending was fine but it's foolish to pretend like those scenes were a masterpiece.

>tight budget
Only retards believe eva had low budget.

yes
we would call ourselves evangelicals if it wasn't taken.
It forced them to focus on the important stuff, while working withing their constraints, and what they came up with was magnificent. more money and looser schedules are not conductive to good results for that crowd. Rebuild is evidence, they have neither time nor budget restraints and instead of doing something superior they just have the resurces to throw every dumb idea they can think of without edit.

TV Ending is a masterpiece.

I guess it comes down to personal taste, because I adore those weird long static shots. They stand out from the rest of the show and add to psychological pressure.

And the ending is amazing. Non-traditional animation really managed to convey instrumentality as some monumental and godlike event

if they had had unlimited money they'd still have done that shot

It is good, if only because you just posted a jpg, didn't mention the name of the show, and even years and years later everyone still knows exactly what you are talking about.

You gotta respect something that sticks with people the way Eva has, whether you personally enjoy it or not.

I thought it was a good way to deal with low budget. It adds suspense and makes you think Shinji is contemplating everything in the Eva as he holds Kaworu.

I was like 10 or 11 when I saw this for the first time.
I honestly thought the VCR had broken or something.

Now that I'm older I get what they were going for. It's pretty alright.

There are better scenes in the anime.

Well it is good, but you described it as being iconic (which it is) but that doesn't necessarily make something good, in general.

Who cares about the rebuilds when the new Godzilla is better in every way?

THE MASTER ANNO DOES IT AGAIN

both

just like the rest of Eva

>DURRRRRR standing still frame with fedora beethoven music in the background le so iconic please respect my garbage series

Fuck off Evacucks

>buzzwords, buzzwords, buzzwords
kill yourself

Kek has spoken

Tom and Jerry cartoons basically had movie budgets because they were literally shown in theaters.

But the instrumentality is pretty much the crux of the entire story. I feel like the last two episodes are the two most important in the entire show.

I want mental midgets to leave

I'm pretty sure Anno said somewhere in an interview Tom & Jerry was one of his favorite American cartoons.

It's dirt cheap.