Sorry to bring up such brand name film but do I have to read the manga after having watched this...

Sorry to bring up such brand name film but do I have to read the manga after having watched this? The ending seems rather inconclusive.

I'll bump myself

The manga continues for like a decade after the films was made.

Yeah I know it's a long ass series but do you know of its worth? I'm willing to dump time on it.

Yes, it's very good.

It was okay

Ok thank you

Read the manga. Not for the movie, but because it's good.

The manga is 10x superior to the film.

I agree with this though the movie is still pretty great.

Doesn't have the music desu

Indeed. I bet fucking normies have never watched it, despite they claiming to love Studio Ghibli and such.

Its my favorite anime movie and I tried to read the manga and it just wasn't that great imo.

Manga is a totally different work than the film. Both have their merits, but don't think of the manga as a continuation.

It's not TOTALLY different.

The movie was based on the first two volumes of the manga

Just read the doujinshi.
You know which ones.

Bug nipple?

>like the fantasy settings from Ghibli movies like Nausicaa, Mononoke, Howl, Earthsea, Laputa, etc
>nothing else really has the same feel to it

Is there anything else that has a similar feel to the Ghibli movies? I'd really like more fantasy stuff that has a grand sort of feeling to it, but it seems the bulk of stuff these days is focused on action or tits.

No, they were disgusting.

I wish I knew

Seirei no Moribito you retard

Is the manga nearly as continuously tragic?

iirc Throughout the manga, Nausicaa slowly exhausts herself, growing thinner and more fragile as it goes because of her determination to see things to the end.

wings of honneamise

Oh dear

Future Boy Conan

You should start reading manga then.

I'm bored and depressed after beating XV so here's Ch. 1.

Anyone ever figure out what geographic area this map corresponds to?

It still baffles me how Miyazaki managed to write something as good as the Nausicaa manga. He's generally a very mediocre writer, as some of his later movies like Howls and Ponyi made obvious.

The darker the story the better

Howl's was one of his darkest movies and one of his worst scripts.

Friendly reminder that Master Anno Hideaki has the rights to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Its clearly his magnum opus: the story that he wanted to tell all his life and poured every ounce of himself into for over a decade of his life. Considering most artists never produce a masterpiece, we should consider it a miracle he's still put out anything of quality at all after Nausicaa, even if they don't measure up.

I liked Howl's honestly. I know it gets a lot of hate, but the atmosphere, characters, and soundtrack kind of made up of for the mediocre plot. Ponyo I'd agree was kind of shit, but it seemed like he was half-assing it or something.

Yeah, I think I remember reading some speculation once.

Maybe it was the Caucasus?

He doesn't. Miyazaki gave him some unofficial permission to make a sequel if he wanted. But that's all, and we all know he would much rather do another Godzilla.

This is really a hunch, but I thought it looked a little like The Caucasus.

I like Nausicaa but it's not quite masterpiece level. I do agree that it is his magnum opus in terms of writing though.

Howl's only redeeming aspect was its production values, same with Ponyo. Any good ideas that did show up came from the original book, while all the bad ones like that random-ass war or Madam Suliman came from Miyazaki's awful writing.

Nice quads. There does seem to be some superficial resemblance to the Caucasus, but or that to be true though it would mean that the Earth's geography has changed so drastically that the Black Sea has become enclosed and that the Caspian has become part of the ocean, or that the Doroks and Torumekians simply haven't charted out the land beyond their territories.

I did think the character interactions were actually pretty nice, and Miyazaki used the plot as a sort of backdrop to the love story. Doesn't excuse all the points you mention that even pissed me off when I was a ten year old kid (Madam Suliman especially made me angry, I expected more out of her but she was just thrown in), but I still liked it for what it was: not his best film, but still enjoyable.

Still though, he wrote a lot of the other films that were good. Laputa, Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Totoro were all his writing, so just because he fucked up on a couple doesn't mean he's shit in general.

The layouts are so bad.

Howls was an adaptation

His panelwork is weak. Thankfully, that's the only weakness of the manga.