What do people see in this so-called "masterpiece"?

What do people see in this so-called "masterpiece"?

Who has ever called that abortion a masterpiece?

by highly esteemed manga experts user

lol

No one calls it a masterpiece.

Their wasted lives

It's a big adventure.

its the best work of fiction I've ever seen

its very influential and has fathered lots of hollywood films youve seen today

it was awesome when i was a kid
even if it isn't as good now as it was then i still enjoy reading it
want to see it through to the end after putting in so much time

People who don't actually like manga think it's good. Most other people don't.

>even if it isn't as good now as it was then i still enjoy reading it
It's better now.

I read the first chapter and the art was AWFUL so it got dropped, not dealing with that eyesore for a however long the manga will run for

worldbuilding I guess.
I genuinely liked the Impel Down and war arcs, but not really anything post-timeskip.

It's a fun and light-hearted adventure with some great world-building. One of the big reasons why it's so popular is because it started right in time to fill the hole that Dragon Ball left when it ended.

>World building
When will this meme end? Making as many characters and places as you can but not fleshing then out in any meaningful way isn't good world building.

>pirateshit that barely has anything to do with piracy

>but not fleshing then out in any meaningful way
But they are being fleshed out over the course of the story. Many seemingly unimportant side-characters and locations are re-introduced and fleshed out later on, too.

that sounds like recycling

i think what that guy meant is like the speedwagon company in jojo

But that is literally the best kind of world building, you fucking tool. ESPECIALLY for a series made to express the feeling of adventure.

No, the basic structure of each arc is mostly the same regardless of location. The people at each place don't act any differently. He just introduced tons of names and places and can then reference them 200 volumes later and people think it was great world building. Sheer volume isn't good.

But it isn't, you fucking idiot. Get some standards and learn what real world building is. "Oh shit that guy who they name dropped 200 chapters ago showed up!" isn't good world building. It's a hollow attempt at it like everything else the series does.

>the basic structure of each arc is mostly the same regardless of location.
This does not prove or disprove world building. Besides, alot of the world building is done between arcs, not within them.

>The people at each place don't act any differently.
How so? The support characters are pretty different depending on the arc.

It's not called "masterpiece", its name is One Piece. Go back to pre-k and learn to tell the M from the O,

One Piece's art gets so much better.

But it does world build. Over the course of the story you learn how the world works. You learn about the world governement, the world nobles, the marines and how they all work together.

>Show up to an island
>It's full of nice people who are being oppressed by a bad guy
>Luffy isn't a hero, he just feels like beating up the bad guy because they annoy him
>Everyone smiles and throws then a feast
It's not world building of the places and people function exactly the same way every time. Quantity is not quality.

You have to be brain dead to enjoy one piece and think that name dropping characters is world building.

It's not a masterpiece.
But I admire the fact that he doesn't draw to his full potential/uses a weird art style yet still is one of the most popular.

>A gorillion bazillion chapters
>Good
It may have some highlights, but to think anyone can produce good quality consistently for this long is laughable.

You know how Call of Duty is a popular video game? Twilight was a popular book? Pop songs are catchy and get popular? One Piece is the manga equivalent.

Fights being the only exception. They pretty much lost all dynamism at this point. The paneling also got worse.

>Wan Pissfags
>Even knowing what paneling is, let alone caring about it
Ha

>its very influential and has fathered lots of hollywood films youve seen today
Please elaborate if you're not meeming.

If you took your head out of your ass and actually read it you would discover you are in fact wrong

>What do people see in this so-called "masterpiece"?
Pick one.

Judging by how I started it and quickly dropped it due to it being mediocre garbage, I doubt it.

>lol

Fuck off

Nami had a great design until Oda ruined it.

no clue, cant stand more then 45 sec of the show.

I see the biggest story ever told

lol

Yeah I loved that part where he spent 50 chapters running towards Dofla while it cut between 20 different fights that didn't progress at all till the end. It's definitely gotten better over the years.

The feeling of adventure and amazing world to discover, also cool action and good enough plot (better than naruto's and bleach's plot for sure)

this manga is 3000 volumes long and none of it is interesting

Because it has never tried to be more than what it is. While Naruto and Bleach went the "Oh so deep and complex!" route, One Piece focuses on just being what it has always been: a wacky and at time nonsensical adventure with some fighting, goofy powers and hot girls. There's a pretty interesting mystery behind it all but the crew itself seems not to care about it and it's always relegated to small sequences in-between arcs.
Quality has also generally been relatively consistent. One Piece's highs are very high but the lows are never that terrible.

Oda ruined everything good about one piece.

There's no way, there must be at least one thought provoking theme in one of those volumes

For a series this old there is less than average plot holes or inconsistencies, comparing it to Naruto, Bleach or Dragon Ball.

In the case of Big Mom Luffy did care and claimed the island his own territory.
One Piece is a masterpiece without doubt.

>Impel Down
>full of nice people

Skypiea was at war during the time Roger went there as well, and had been since Noland's time.
He chose not to save them.

>no clue, cant stand more then 45 sec of the show.
>more then 45 sec
>45 sec of the show
>of the show
kys

I don't call it a masterpiece and I don't read it week by week, but it's a fun story with interesting characters and worls building.
I unironically prefer Naruto though, always have.

I dropped before then. Couldn't make it that far.

Great user. You found one example of a slightly original plot line on the story during the first 500 chapters.

Roger isn't the main character though.

why do you keep making these threads

>, the basic structure of each arc is mostly the same regardless of location

Just like how Ippo is shit for being nothing but boxing matches over and over, or Conan is shit for being nothing but solving mysteries over and over.

Great job comparing the fact that a boxing manga is about boxing or a mystery manga is about mysteries to an adventure manga being one single adventure template copied and pasted over and over.

A lot of the double page spreads are beautiful
There are some very emotional scenes if you let them be
All of the islands they visit are really interesting to learn about even if most of the arc plots follow the same basic formula
I've been reading weekly for about 9 years and it's a rewarding series to read longterm

>While Naruto and Bleach went the "Oh so deep and complex!" route, One Piece focuses on just being what it has always been: a wacky and at time nonsensical adventure with some fighting, goofy powers and hot girls.
You're really don't know what you're talking about, aren't you?

nice argument, faggot

I think you're talking about Naruto or Bleach.

Sorry to break it to you, but it seems like he does.

One piece is a headache to read, the panelling and page composition is almost always a clusterfuck and there's like 50 more characters to keep track of every arc

>one piece of shit
>masterpiece

Good joke

I think I only read it to the end of Skypia or something as a kid. Enel was pretty nice.