I'm honestly curious;

I'm honestly curious;

Has anyone on here whose kept up with anime and manga ever notice their tastes change as the years go by?

You were into one thing and the next you outgrew the stuff you liked as everything ages and look back as to what was good and wasn't?

An example for me is I only liked naruto, bleach, death note, one piece, dragon ball, cowboy bebop and other typical shounen stuff. I never liked gintama till lately and understand gto from onizukas perspective than the students. It's weird being older than the character now when he was older than me say back then.

Now that I'm older and things have changed and stuff came out; I like gintama, zetsubou sensei and his other stuff; bakuman (somewhat; I only liked the satire), urusei yatsura, kenshin, space dandy, mushishi, one piece still, panty and stocking, lupin iii, harlock, cutey honey, black jack, uratarou, jojo (I especially hated this till later and got obsessed) etc.

Now I can tell the difference between a good and bad manga and critique then on different dimensions such as art, writing, direction, time period, etc. like an academic research paper.

Has this happened to anyone else and noticed their tastes changed over the years and became artsy and refined and have become cultured as time goes on? Or is it just me? Now all manga seems kiddy, even berserk. I dunno if I outgrew it or crave something unique, different, progressive and creative, etc. you know?

What are Sup Forumss experiences with things like this? Can you all share? I like to keep looking for good series and stuff all the time and appreciate them for their history and time period and stuff.

>Has anyone on here whose kept up with anime and manga ever notice their tastes change as the years go by?
Yes, it happens in every single hobby and every single medium. I'm not reading your blog.

cowboy bebob is for adults ! that's why i didn't like it when i was a kid
>naruto
>DN
>bleach
all started good but they went to shit

gintama is the best shonen and the only shonen that didn't suck even after 300 episodes still my favrite anime

I didn't like gintama cuz it had a bad start; but man; did it get better over time. I didn't expect that to happen 10 years ago.

No your taste never changes. You can never dislike or drop anything you once liked.

Fuck off.

gintama started mediocre you faggot . you hated it because you were expecting some thing great from the first episodes

>Has anyone on here whose kept up with anime and manga ever notice their tastes change as the years go by?
short answer: nope.

I got into Anime at age of ~15, thanks to NGE and stuff. Got interested of the style and feel it portrayed, and started hunting for more. Ended up watching more nowadays typical entry shit, like Elfen Lied and FMA, followed soon by Azumanga, Bleach, and such. Zetsubou Sensei, Excel Saga, PPD, and OG OVAs of Jojo I already consumed at early age as they came out, and obviously was heavily into Death Note and Code Geass when they aired. One Piss and Narooto didn't interest me back then, still don't to this day (I even tried OP few year ago for couple dozen eps).

tl;dr: I was already pretty much a jack-of-all-trades back when I started, and still am.
Only recently got into Gintama, and really like it. Only reason it didn't catch my interest a decade back was because 1) the start's known to be pretty weak & literal filler even, and 2) there was sooo much good shit to catch up in late 00s.

I recall Sup Forums having a positive-flavored shitstorm when pic related happened. Didn't pay much attention to it, but it did plant a tiny seed of interest in me. Having seen the episodes for the first time couple months ago now, I can totally see why. Overall, the show improved tremendously after the first year, apparently after falling from prime time slot to late evening airing time.

I've tried to expand my horizons a bit but my taste in everything (anime/music/video games/etc) has stayed pretty much the same since I was like 14.

Mine did. I didn't like naruto post time skip. Kishimoto didn't come off very creative after and felt he suffered a lot. His story telling models needed revamps.

I'm curious, what are the series Sup Forums loved as a kid/teenager that they still love now as an adult?

For me, Code Geass and Death Note. I appreciate them a lot more as an adult now.

And by that, I mean the obvious "entry level" shows.

Evangelion for sure.

It aged but very well.

I like it more than bebop now and makes better sense now compared to back then.

Weird how that happens.

I've heard about Code Geass and have been meaning to check it out, never got to it.

I grew up liking shounen and still only like shounen. The reason is simple: its the only story anime is better at telling than 3D shows.

Really? You really need to watch it. It's a genuinely great series.

Do it now, user.

I used to watch Naruto, Shaman King and Pokemons when I was a kid, then went through mature anime for mature viewers phase (GitS, Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Pet Shop of Horrors), only to realize ecchi shows and comfy SoL are better than life of adventure. Let somebody else save the world.

Back when Animax was still alive in my country:
>countless reruns of Yuyu Hakusho
>Trigun
>Kyoro Chan
>Death Note
>Lovely Complex
>Hell Girl
>FMP
>Slayers
>Spiral

Honestly; stuff like bakuman, zetsubou sensei and gintama changed the way I look at manga and anime completely and ever since I never looked back. I never realize how difficult the industry really was in all honesty really.

I went thru an artsy pretentious hipster phase where I'd read books from school and stuff and apply it to what I'd see and rely on reviews and stuff like that to determine and evaluate what I'd liked and watched was any good or not and only liked artsy stuff and nothing mainstream or typical.

Basically; I was an obnoxious hipster when it came to stuff that was creative and done better and differently compared to what's already been done; so yeah...

It changed my tastes a lot and got hard to get back into mainstream stuff; but I like mainstream from time to time but not as much after going thru that circuses roller coaster ride. It's hard to go back to that after you've been exposed to real good quality stuff; then again it's subjective anyways; but I like venturing out and trying new things for sure.

>bakuman
Just finished Bakuman. It's made me appreciate anime and manga more now. Truly a great series.

For me it was shounen genre that i grew out of it. I still remember when i hated SOL before i came to Sup Forums first time and watched Azumanga Daioh.

Am I the only one who finds seinen to be kiddy like now? Or is it just me? I can't tell anymore...

I'm only 25 and did this for 15 years...

I honestly still like shounen shows/manga like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho and fist of the north star.

I still don't like slice of life, school life, harem and romance though, I could never get into them without getting really bored.

I also like shows that are longer than 100 episodes, but I skipp filler

I used to think Elfen Lied was good.
One point I even thought Hunter x Hunter was better than FMA:B.

>loved as a kid
Moomins
Silver Fang
...uh, that's about it to be honest. Pokemon was cool, but it got bonkers and repetitive after the first movie.

>/teenager
pretty much all of them, from NGE & Elfen lied, to Code Geass & Seto No Hanayome.

Yes, now that I'm an oldfag, I realize how terrible a lot of anime. It's always been like this, but the anime boom during Japan's bubble economy meant that there was a huge amount of high quality OVAs and movies ready for localization. This resulted in a flood of good to great English language content that gave many non-Japanese a not quite accurate impression of how much garbage was actually being produced.

Nowadays -- since high speed Internet and streaming -- just about everything is localized (sometimes simulcast! We used to wait for months and years between releases). But it also shows just how much piss poor anime there is, just bad quality, lowest common denominator junk.

Also moe was bad for the medium, on the whole.

Shounen anime, which made you feel like a "grownup" you were 12, now feels more childish than Sup Forums shit like Winnie the Pooh.

>getting to watch shounen animu at age of 12
I will never know how that would've felt like.
I'd probably been weebing out like a retard.

>mfw I watched yugioh and naruto as a kid
>I weebed out about as much as you can imagine, running like naruto and shit

I don't think your tastes really change. You just find new things to enjoy and rather your tastes "expand". But the thing is if you came upon those things earlier, even years earlir you'd probably like them as well, The reason it seems like they changed is because you find things that just fit you more. The seem worse in contrast, but they're really just as good.

When I look back at my childhood I never find anything that I liked back then that I would have considered terrible back then. It's just that I found some stuff I like even more and descovered preferences I wasn't aware of. Plus, some of the favorites from then (not so much anime) are still my favorites now. I'd still consider Planescape: Torment and Morrowind just as good as when I was 9 or 10.

I remember watching Naruto when I was 13, it came off as ugly, repetetive and boring. Though I did manage to watch 20 eps, but mainly because my friends were watching it.

its called growing up, its happens to all of us that day when we realize we are no longer a child with a childs mentality and can look at things objectively and enjoy the things we hated in our youth.

welcome to adulthood op.

My taste greatly changed after watching Mooschischi. Now I want to watch shows like pic related

gintama back then was just a big gag about japanese historical figures without a clear storyline unlike regular shonen and just after Benizakura it became more shonen in a way.

I liked Naruto, DB, OP and those kind of things when I was a kid, but I wouldn't count myself as being "into" anime that much at the time.

Once I started getting into anime, I watched pretty much everything except cute girl shows, which I absolutely loathed.

A few years after that I watched mostly cute girls shows but still a bit of everything.

Nowadays I'm a lot more picky. I usually only pick up a few shows a season, and the only thing still keeping me into this medium is that some of my favorites are getting sequels. I'm kind of sick of generic SoL and harem but I don't have anything against them as long as they have heart.

I Get you about being open minded and picky with genre and demographics. I usually am picky about writing and direction, who did what and all that stuff. I like experimental stuff and try different things and like old school stuff all the time too.

But mostly nowadays; it's about staff. Author, director, artist, sources, inspiration, progression and art appreciation, etc.

These days; I rarely think slot of these people even try hard anymore but continue to keep going with the same model without trying to keep going and getting better and pushing for improving the art quality as a whole.

That's kind of what gets to me in the competition these days. Only a handful of figures I take seriously still in this day and age who impacted the industry very well and changed history with it as well.