Tomino on Evangelion

>So I was very upset when I saw Evangelion, because it was apparent to me that the people who made it weren't thinking at all about making fun for or gaining the sympathy of the audience. Instead they tried to convince the audience to admit that everybody is sick, practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown, all the time. I don't think you should show things like that to everybody. It's not entertainment for the masses--it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought. It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone. I don't think that's a real work of art. When people see that, they begin to realize they are the same way. I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die. I can't accept any work that doesn't say that.
What did he mean by this?

>and to encourage them to work happily until they die
He's a cuck

Yoshiyuki "I sold my soul to Bandai" Tomino makes toy commercials for a living, and people are more likely to buy toys if they aren't depressed.

No, just a japanese.

He's a collectivist brainwashed idiot. If he actually said this, which I doubt because it looks like bait, he's a fucking retard. If this isn't bait, Tomino must be a fucking retard.

Man, who doesn't know Optimus Prime?

Y-you too.

>He's a collectivist
So, again, a japanese.

Shinji learns to love himself at the end though?

Is this the ideology behind moe shit?

>Doesn't even care that Evangelion ripped off his works
Truly a humble man, as expected from the master.

You shouldn't love yourself if you haven't got my robot toys you piece of shit.

hahha you may have shit taste but at least you're funny.
Are you the same guy who always talks about Ideon in every Eva thread?

Tomino is an old fashioned japanese men. He's from a time when men were expected to perform their duty without complaining and dwelling in self pity.
>I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die.
showcases perfectly his point of view.
If Shinji was on the White Base, he would have been slapped to death until he got on the fucking robot and stopped bitching about how his dad didn't love him.

Shinji would either have killed himself or gone full school shooter with his Gundam.

That's exactly what he does in EoE.

Why is the average Nip so plebeian?
>It's not entertainment for the masses(...)
>(...) I don't think that's a real work of art.
>(...) I think that we should try to show people how to live healthier, fuller lives, to foster their identity as a part of their community, and to encourage them to work happily until they die. I can't accept any work that doesn't say that.
From this I infer this retarded "anime personality" Nip isn't familiar with the novelists from his own country or that he doesn't consider them artists?
WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE.

It means he created a superior work with superior characters like pic related

>Tominofags mistaking inconsistent characterization as complexity
Always funny.

Dunno if this actually true but that's bullshit, I don't know what kind of idiot takes to face value everything they watch, it's almost as if he was telling people are stupid and cant think by thelmselves.

He is kind of right though, but fuck that

evafags are the worst fanbase here. lord Tomino(PBUH) showing them their rightful place

It exactly means what he said. Tomino sure isn't senile at least.

>This from the man that made Zambot 3 and Zeta

What Dazai would say?

>Instead they tried to convince the audience to admit that everybody is sick, practically in the middle of a nervous breakdown, all the time.
>tomino being this retarded
>surprising
pick one.

Well he did kinda go "fuck the free world" in EoE. Admittedly he was at least partially insane by then and everything was going to shit, but yeah he totally did.

He's saying that he likes works which tell people how to live rather than ones that acknowledge the way we actually live.

He's a product of his time. Thankfully his era is long past.

>superior characters
More easily likeable, perhaps. But not better written. 3deep5me memes aside, Eva has what are probably the best written characters in anime, and high up there for even fiction itself. In fact, Evangelion is more true to the human condition because it does not deny human sexuality or silliness. These too are just as much a part of humanity as serious things are. Few stories have such an honest portrayal of humanity. Even other works praised for being a "deep" study of humanity are often pretentious because they only touch on certain sides of individuals, due to a mistaken belief that a work with serious things in it must always be serious to be good. Regardless of what you think of the mecha, the lore, or whether or not you like Shinji personally, the characters in Eva are true to humanity in a way few stories ever have or will show.

You're going to kill me, but I honestly think that Evangelion is better than LOTR in certain aspects.

Link at least 5 studies that prove your toy-buying demographic theory

Zeta was perfect. Char's Counterattack ruined his characterization.

Well, yeah. Anno doesn't, or at least didn't, shy away from making a character do things that people don't accept.

But it was perfectly consistent.

Do you think Char was just going to sit there and chill while the Federation litearlly did nothing? Zeta directly makes him into CCA char.

>implying he's wrong about eva

He sounds like a massive faggot

>Char's Counterattack ruined his characterization
Retard.

>-it's much more interested in admitting that we're all depressed nervous wrecks, I thought.

But isn't that true?

>It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone.

What? Fuck off. This is beyond the average 2deep failure to grasp the show,

>Goes from joining A.E.U.G.
>to fucking dropping asteroids on Earth
explain why didn't he just join forces with Haman Karn then? They both had the same goal in making Zeon great again.

Doesn't take away from the fact that Eva is literally top 5 anime all time and Tomino wishes he could even make a film as great as EoE.

Not bait, not troll.

He isn't wrong, it's the fact he thinks something like that shouldn't be made that makes him a retard. He's telling people not to make stories that don't portray humanity in an optimistic light.

Char did nothing wrong
SIEG ZEON!

Wasn't Eva actually optimistic? I feel like the characters displayed negative personality traits for the express purpose to show how NOT to act

>implying eva is wrong about humanity

You're a ADHD retard, Char fall to grace was hinted many times during Zeta final episode.

I look forward to Tomino's utopia where nobody is sad and everybody is happy

Well, it wasn't saying "Look at this, you're all horrible pieces of shit". It was saying "This is what people are like. It's up to you to choose to accept them or reject them". I feel Eva wasn't trying to tell you "this is bad" or "this is good". Eva completely ignores any preconceptions of what is good or bad, it shows you things and lets you decide. It wants you to think for yourself, that's the whole point of EoE.

But they didn't. Haman was after domination, Char was after forcing everyone off Earth.

Char wanted to end the earth-centric political class from fucking spacenoids over, to help everyone become newtypes and to let the planet recover.

He spends a bunch of time in zeta trying to convince people, seems to get some positive results and waits.

6 years later not only is everything the same, the federation literally made a colony just to hold refugees in a hurry and people are living there as a perminent residence now and there are 0 plans to do anything about this becuase the Federation do not give a solitary shit.

None of his works portray humanity in an optimistic light.
All his stories are about the hope that the newer generations won't repeat the same atrocities as the old ones.

The fantasy side of Evangelion would definitely throw him off, but if he'd manage to finish the TV series, he'd understand the psychological themes and be okay with it. You might say Ep26 would bring him to tears even.

Well, yes? Yui's speech at EoE works with the rest of the movie/show to essentially say "we're all depressed fuckups, and that's mostly because we want to believe we are". It's all self-inflicted.

Among other things, of course.

Get in the fucking robot, Shinji.

>Zambot 3

That fucking ending man.

t. Ikari "I turned my wife into a giant monster" Gendo

nowhere at all was it hinted at. unless you're talking about that Z Gundam end cutscene. In that one they show Char undergoing a change and understanding that Earth is doomed in his view after watching Kamille become a veggie.

>killed even the dog
lol

Maybe he meant working as a Marxist saboteur?

>lol
>tumblr

Fuck off

Didn't Tomino also say that people owning video game consoles was a major contributor to global warming or something?

Brain Powerd? More like Brain DAMAGE.

I think the real deep part about Eva is how most viewers reacted to it and treat the series. People still can't understand humanity. It's an interesting reflection of everything shown in the series.

You hit me! Not even my father ever hit me!

Tomino is awful. As person and as writer. He was jsut in the right place at the right time. He's lorious dialogues are magnum opus of retardism

Tomino should read Ayn Rand

>It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed, and it accepted the psychological state that said if you don't like the way the world works, then it's okay to just pick up a gun and attack someone.
What the actual fuck? Did he even watch the show?
Also
>show people how to live healthier, fuller lives
>work """happily""" until they die
Pick one.

Are you upset?

I don't think he read anything

You are trying to make sense of Yoshiyuki "Garzey's Wing" Tomino.
You are better off saving your time.

What do you mean?

He said that video games were a waste of time.

>encourage them to work happily until they die
Is this one of those nip double meanings?
Did he basically tell all depressive people everywhere to just do it?

From an earlier thread I remember people saying the message behind Brain Powerd is that feminism is the root of all evil, and women belong in the kitchen? inb4 edgelords saying it's true
I'm watching Brain Powerd and I'm worried if it's true that it has a message that stupid.

He's saying that media should help people fit into their communities and the expectations the community has of them and help them be fulfilled while doing this.

He means it quite literalyl when he says happily work rather than "suck it up"

People obsess over Asuka and Rei, yet both sides fail to understand their own waifu. People hate Shinji, who is the representation of the everyman. In hating Shinji, they are hating themselves and the rest of humanity without realzing it. People look to and focus on the "deep" parts of the series about religious symbolism, and all that shit, when that isn't important at all.

When he's depressed Tomino blames women for everything, that wouldn't be anything new.
But in most of his works that's not the case.

By fitting in you mean stop being depressed? Because as much as some people can get a tattoo removal or a fake pinky to fit in better, it's not like I can go online and buy a human brain.

>In hating Shinji, they are hating themselves and the rest of humanity without realzing it.
I've met a ton of those people, I had no idea why I was disgusted by them until now. Thanks, user.

Stop being depressed in the sense of media helping depressed people to develop a healthier mindset yes, remember Tomino went through depressin himself, he's not going to just be like "hurr depressed people should just stop being depressed"

Bitter old man whos rarely even allowed to write in his own franchise because he's so shit at it, you could get away with sloppy writing in the 80s but not today.

>Tomino the man who has trid to end gundam like 6 times
>wanting to write regularly for it

Ideon (the movie) was miles better than anything Eva though.

Tomino certainly deserves more respect than Anno. He has a message, and he is true to his ideals.

Turn A > shit > NGE

>nowhere at all was it hinted at
>can't fucking read between the lines
>can't fucking recognize symbolism
>can't interpret lines

Stick to IBO.

more like IB SLOW

Seriously that show is fucking boring even though it has all the componenets needed to be good.

Dazai would just kill himself without saying anything. That's what separates a genius from the hacks.

>implying anything about tomino's characters was inconsistent
G-reco aside, everything else was consistent

You might be right, actually

You're a good man

Sounds like hes bein a cunt.

Did anyone else feel incredibly disgusted at the Instrumentality part? It's the most perverted thing i've ever fucking seen in my entire life and it isn't even real.

Then when watching the rebuilds I couldn't even fucking sympathize with Gendo or Rei because they're both fucking disgusting for even wanting that to happen.

So my point comes to this, Why didn't the nip government just nuke the friggin NERV site to stop it?

Navel-gazing overly cynical shit is easy to praise because it takes the negative impulses everyone already feels and glorifies and legitimizes them. It makes people think "yeah, I'm not a lazy directionless fuck, the world is just too dark and sinister to ever really care about anything".

Stories about people who actually overcome their problems are infinitely more valuable than stories that make you sympathize with failures.

Peanuts by Schulz is a better work of fiction depicting the complexity of the human experience (with all the serious and silly moments it comprises) than Evangelion could ever hope to be.Charlie Brown in particular, is a much richer character study about the psyche of a depressed young boy trying to figure out his place in a society that rejects him than Shinji Ikari.Stop talking about silly giant robots and get to read that instead, you pleb.

>Did anyone else feel incredibly disgusted at the Instrumentality part? It's the most perverted thing i've ever fucking seen in my entire life and it isn't even real.
Implying it isn't and you aren't in one right now.

>Stories about people who actually overcome their problems are infinitely more valuable than stories that make you sympathize with failures.
But that's exactly what happens in NGE.

I'm not in one because i'm not dead. That a good enough reason?

Tomino jelly that he couldn't dethrone Eva with Brain Powered.

It sort of happens in the Rebuilds. Shinji doesn't overcome anything, he just finally does what he's told in the original.

They need his name in the credits, they don't need his input.

But how can you be sure?

I thought Instrumentality was beautiful. A total breakdown of the self in exchange for inclusion in the bliss of a collective consciousness literally sounds like Heaven. To recognize the self is to recognize the other and its differences, most of which run counter to the self. Why do you think Asuka said that she felt sick at the end of EoE? For the first time in her life she felt peace and contentment. One moment later, she's being choked by the cowardly asshole who removed her from that peace because he was too afraid of change.

>Turn A
Couldn't even make it halfway through that shit.

If you use Evangelion as a model for what your morals and goals should be there are other problems that need to be addressed. Like some kind of seriously debilitating autism.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was equally brain dead, though.

What a fucking commie.

>based Tomino does it again
Well, he didn't really get what Eva was about I guess. He falls into category of people who watch the show and then complain what a shit protagonist Shinji is.
Evangelion wasn't trying to show us pretty characters, it tried to show us people, it's quite relevant as a sort of coming-of-age drama. I never actually understood how it became popular. It's arthouse as fuck. I mean, dream sequences, long walks, long shots, disastrous couples and all.
>It was a work that told people it was okay to be depressed
Not really. I guess he didn't get it in the end