Why aren't you pursuing a glamorous and rewarding career as a Mangaka Sup Forums?

Why aren't you pursuing a glamorous and rewarding career as a Mangaka Sup Forums?

I'm white

>glamorous and rewarding

>glamorous and rewarding
EHEHE

/thread

Those are the eyes of someone who has given up life

I'm not pursuing a career as a mangaka, however I am planning to make a manga and if by some odd chance it's successful then I'll pursue a career as a mangaka.
The only reason I'm doing this is my excess amount of free time.

You can make out the last bit of self worth vanish from his eyes.

What happened to him

Gash Bell and Animal Land are great but Vector Ball is garbage

Honestly I'm surprised there aren't more western companies co-oping the manga system of publishing, little to no investment on the editors' part, highly replacable content creators and best of all you get constant new pitches instead of needing to rehash existing IPs and run the risk of killing a franchise by taking a bad turn.

If such a thing did exist in the West I'd give it a shot as a writer, I feel like storyboards are in my grasp but I have no delusions of being a good artist.

Because drawing makes me want to die nowadays.

Because i don't know how to plan a story or draft panels. And my characters would get backlash from SJWs.

There is no market for Manga in the states and Europe.

Because I'm already pursuing an agonizing and fruitless career as an author.

As this user said: I would probably try to get involved in a Western equivalent, but definitely not as an artist.

Need the right type of utensils on a laptop.

Manga and anime is a global standing product, but the market demand is still restricted to the Japanese audience.

There also seems to be a pervading sense of keeping it "truly japanese", I doubt there will be any desire for a manga with Western origin.

Because mango is boring, I'd rather be an anime director.
And I'm actually working towards it.

>digital manga.
fucking disgusting user. you must be the same pleb that makes OEL "manga"
pic related of western "manga"

I do hand drawn

god bless your soul.

I'd share the small manga I made but every one's just going to make fun of me.

>working towards it
How?

That explains why there are huge Manga and Graphic Novel sections in every major US bookstore

Part of the problem with western comics in a market scenario is that individual chapters and volumes sell poorly and usually need to be collected into Trades before they sell anything, and such trades only tend to come out after a series has been running for months with no real revenue - with a weekly story format running constant new series you get a lot more out of those trades/tankobons/etc because the volume of work you're printing is higher, which also effects your digital distribution margins since online distribution only really turns revenue in the immediate timeframe of release thanks to piracy. In other words, quantity is vital to profit, with quality being a secondary concern that publishers and editors can pick out as needed from the hordes of submitted work.
There is absolutely a demand for this, it just isn't being capitalized on.

share it. i won't make fun of you.

>fucking disgusting user.
You're an idiot.

>glamorous and rewarding
mangaka gets nothing from their anime adaptations and movies

how's manga maker on steam? i bought it on sale

>They're passion projects guys, you need to make a few sacrifices to do what you love sometimes.

>not recognizing the powergap between a dedicated artist workstation and some fag with a tablet and Paint Tool Sai
C'mon buddy

wow, it doesn't seem that hard, but it really is hard IRL

There's literally nothing wrong with digital manga you fucking retard.

what even harder is making a livable salary from this

I aim to draw for a living but I know to stay way the fuck away from the mangaka route. Those guys are killing themselves and I don't even know if they are aware of it.

If you're gonna draw a simple dime a dozen shonen/SoL/etc weekly manga you should have to work like a fucking maniac at it, it's a buyer's market as far as the editors are concerned.

Besides the alternative is to be a literally who CalArts robot whose entire job is to shade in the tones on storyboards for 15+ years, so I'd rather at least be able to draw something I like

This. Being a mangaka is too stressful especially when you've been doing the same thing for years.

You could always serialize monthly, and take hiatuses as needed.

If I did it I would make them every two weeks or month depending on whatever mood I'm in.

I keep hearing about manga artists having to go to hospital visits due to their chronic issues

Hiatus's don't put food on the table, pay the bills and gain new audiences

>tfw meh art style and use to practice everyday in hopes of getting good.
>tfw always wanted to draw a manga centered around a prussian witch becoming obsessed with a commoner.
>tfw entered into college to study law
>tfw haven't drawn in a long time and idea was left as a rough written draft.
Feels bad man.

I'm developing a story of my own and making it popular in the west - so far it's going fine.
I'll then pitch it to some anime studio within 5 years, when I project the peak audience will happen, and try to get my foot on the door. Learning Japanese as well to make a decent impression.

Ambitious, improbable, but I am used to pulling off stuff like this off. I can always settle for plan B and keep working in the Western market.

>hiatuses
It's hard to take a hiatus especially if you're new. Best case scenario your manga will drop in popularity, worst case scenario, your manga gets axed.

Hahahaha. If I were you I would just post it to RoyalRoad where it belongs.

>CalArts robot
You can always go the self study route which is what I do. Costs way way way below what you'll pay in tuition even to the cheapest art institution. And I've gotten to be pretty decent if I may say so myself.

Go to /ic/ and read the sticky. Also carry a sketchbook with you.

Interesting. Good luck user.

The difference between the Eastern and Western mindset, is that artists in the west demand a lot in compensation with what they do. Asians have a commited dedication to see their things through even if it's at the cost of a lot of things.

Is there no animation studio in the west?

The closest and most recent western work that resembles eastern style that I can remember is that Ladybug superhero cartoon. IIRC it was made in France.

Give Vector Ball some time. Remember, Gash Bell also started out subpar.

How do artists even survive? I mean besides the top 5%?

>artists in the west demand a lot in compensation with what they do
If you're good, yes. If you're bad then you just drag down the cost of art and ruin it for everyone else.

Except I have around 15,000 regulars after one year of issuing, and this stuff seems to grow exponentially until it reaches the tipping point. I've not even released a physical copy yet, which for some reason makes even more noise than posting it for free on the Internet.

Thanks, I'll need it.

True that, everyone here seems to look to hit the jackpot and have a peaceful retirement in a tropical island. That mindset is why there are so many hacks holding back the industry.

Well, maybe the Korra guys could animate it, but it's still not as good as a mid-tier anime studio. I would love Ankama doing it, but they probably have their hands full and the style doesn't quite fight.

I always thought roleplaying belonged to a different board.

the bottom 95% are sjws, hipsters and millennials making frivolous decisions with their parents money.
throwing paint on a wall wont make you shit.

Yes, but Unions tend to keep eveyone's cost equal despite their skills

Mangaka get treated like shit by publishers, work like 12-14 hours a day, make shit money unless you're doing a top 3 bestseller and you're a joke to real writers and artists. I'm a part time ghost writer and still make more money than 70% of mangaka and that's not counting the money from my published works.

He's younger than I imagined

That's why I don't fully think Kentaro Miura has to die.
He's just abusing a system that abuses people;

Someone remind me
Is One Punch Man self published? I think Japan could use a boost in the doujin/independent scene when it comes to manga.I think a lot of mangaka can produce some good work when they can set their schedules.

Now that millennials are taking helm of the future, and many of them are familiar or at least fans of anime and manga, do you think there's a chance that they might promote the industry of it to other parts of the world?

I unironically believe this useless generation will be the one to ruin the Earth forever.

What? Manga and anime has been popular in the west for years it might slightly more popular but that's about it, will it ever be as popular say Marvel or DC? Hell no, manga and anime is actually a dying industry look at the sales of anime, the shrinking and brainless copy and paste stories coming out. Manga is doing better but not by much.

Because I'm bad at everything I do.

>dying industry

Like superhero comics were in early 2000 amirite?

>Like superhero comics were in early 2000 amirite?

Comic sales on the industry level are down. Don't mistake the continued success on television and the explosive success in theatres for a comparative revival in the comic industry (the whole industry makes less annually then the typical comic book blockbuster, even flops, make)

One Punch Man originally was a self-published webcomic. Then it got turned into a published manga.

Copy and Paste stuff comes from low industry standards and the ability for writers who do not actually try getting published in Japan.

>Why aren't you pursuing a glamorous and rewarding career as a Mangaka Sup Forums?
>Raiku
the guy had to sell his house to live

Either you are extremely good at writing plot or drawing characters, it's rare to see one can do both at his best.
Most of the popular works I see nowadays are consisted of 2 guys working together to bring the best out of it.
If I could choose then I would be one that can draw, not only work for official works but hentai doujin in my free time.

It's a webcomic at first (by ONE), manga you put up at a website and becomes successful enough for someone (Murata) to redraw it and published by some magazine.
The most realistic prospect I see for anons to enter manga industry are to write some webnovel and if you're lucky some publisher would pick it up and along the way the publiser would give some mangaka to made a manga spin-off.

is it possible to have your manga published near-anonymously?
if i wanted, could i just use a pen name and mail all of my work to the publisher?

No meeting the publisher = nono.
You can conceal your identity from the public only.

Especially because you have to pay your taxes and receive money deposits.

What about the weekly/monthly anthology format? They seems to do decent in nipland right?
You can call it "Weekly Batman" and it'd contain 5 diffrent remakes of the Batman storyline from 5 diffrent authors.

I will be the next Shindol, just you wait.

Because I don't hate myself

ITT: We prove that /x/ is not the only board to engage in mass delusions.
At least /x/ is deluded ironically.

I have no artistic ability or imagination.

>making a stressful job out of art
>not just doing it as a hobby for fun

It's like you don't want to enjoy life and just work yourself to death.

haha its like i have other options haha i want to die lol

I lack the enormous powerlevel of passion Kubo-sensei has.

Doing it as a hobby will barely get you to the same level of excellence, though.

>can't afford software for digital manga creation
>can't afford a cintiq

I have no imagination, all I could create would be recycled harems, isekai and ideas stolen from Sup Forums.

>draw manga in high school
>dig it out of my stack of old notebooks 3 years later
>both the story and the art were autistic as fuck
>burn the notebooks and hope to god nobody else saw it

haven't drawn anything since
probably for the better

I can't fucking draw.

Nigga, SAI is like 10$. A Hiuon large is around 50$. You don't need the best gear out there especially if you're a beginner.

How much worse than your typical weab manga of early 00s? You should have posted it on the interwebs, then it'd be eternal.

I get by with a Wacom Intuos.

Then again I hardly draw because of my military career

Turn it into a novel

I can't draw, and the stories I would pump out would not be successful.

You'll never know, it might be the next Oreimo.

I can't tell if you're mocking me user or if you're actually serious.

>Implying i won't be the one making Naruto 3

Just wait and see.

You can go indie, publish your work online and collect $$$ on Patreon.

Because if I did I would be Sup Forums.

Someone had to sit down and create these manga you like to read so much.

Someday I may. Right now though I'm learning to draw so that I can create perverted shit and do a patreon with it.

Are there plenty of manga artists living off of Patreon?

I know the barrier to entry in the manga industry is hard, I know an editor in Japan, they tend to discriminate Gaijin though

I am, but I'm shit and not Japanese, so nobody gives a fuck.

I'm certain that there's an Asain equivalent of it but i can't fucking remember the name of it.

You aren't alone