One who truly hates himself cannot love, he cannot place his trust in another

>One who truly hates himself cannot love, he cannot place his trust in another.

Is she right?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/emotional-fitness/201001/you-dont-need-love-yourself-first
youtube.com/watch?v=hZIHOHHA5vA
youtu.be/k4y1Di88zEk
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>anywhere can be paradise, if only you have the will to live

What did she mean by this?

This describes my entire life.
That's why Rei is my waifu.

Story of my life. I need more pain meds

But Shinji loved Kaworu.

This
Plot hole
And Misato loved Kaji
And Asuka kinda likedShin-chan
Eva is full of shit sometimes

That's because kaworu was the only one who treated him decently, which made shinji temporarily not hate himself.

It's not like you need someone who's self-loathing, when you're self-loathing yourself.

(not)

I heard variants of that phrase many times. Not sure if I can agree. A lot of people who didn't like themselves were in love. I mean you can say "feeling that way isn't really love" but that's just sophistry. Although I guess there isn't many people who genuinely hate themselves.

I guess it can be interpreted as if you don't love yourself you can't believe someone can love you so you don't believe you can be together with that person, but it's not like you can't love someone without ever being together with them. And you can say "feeling that way isn't really love" but I think that's just sophistry.

For example, we've learned to enjoy anime. But it's not like we would have been miserable if we never learned what that is. A person will be happy as long as they have what they want, but it's not like you have to want something. The only thing you absolutely need is basic needs like food, so as long as you have the will to stay alive you can be happy by being content with being alive. So anything extra you obtain is more akin to a blessing.

But he says in the end that he can learn to like himself.

Welcome to Aristotle.

The point of that line was to make Shinji realize that it's impossible to truly hate yourself if you are alive. Continuing to exist means that you believe things will eventually get better.

This line is exactly what it says. As long as you have the will to live and the desire to carry on, you can find happiness in any place and any situation.

Kaworu isn't a human so shinji never really loved another person. Eva is flawless :^)

It's kind of true. If you hate yourself you will have a hard time believing other people can love you. You can still be in a romantic relationship with somebody, you just might be really insecure or distrusting of them.

>Although I guess there isn't many people who genuinely hate themselves.
Boy, do I have news for you.

You know, that's true. Kaworu himself said that he was born to meet Shinji. Humans aren't like that. So yeah, it is flawless.

>The only thing you absolutely need is basic needs like food, so as long as you have the will to stay alive you can be happy by being content with being alive.

Humans are social creatures, interacting with other people is very much a need. It can be via a image board, but you still need it. When isolated from human interaction people tend to go a bit crazy.

Yeah, she is. You'll end up thinking "why does this person want or desire me?" whenever you're intimate with someone.

Work on your self esteem is the message here.

Not really, he was just desperate and going crazy. Facts are he didn't even know the guy..

>Yeah, she is. You'll end up thinking "why does this person want or desire me?" whenever you're intimate with someone.
It's not like you need to be intimate with someone to love them.

This is assuming you even get that far with the person you love, the thing is that you won't be able to trust them unless you can trust yourself.

Why trust someone who has trust in someone you don't trust, i.e you?

god that describe me ! when did she say that?

Rei is a toilet

Evangelion can be interpreted and deconstructed through some psychodynamic principles. This could explain how the romantic relationship between Shinji and Asuka is portrayed: Sexual impulses, utterly control, egocentric thoughts, need…but in the end it’s just the expression of the character’s conflicts. In the end, it’s just love, human love. Asuka and Shinji love each other but they don’t know how to communicate. This leads them to a path where the hedgehog dilemma is present.
Despite that, Evangelion can be interpreted without thinking in a psychodynamic way, arriving to the same conclusions. It just requires a bit more thinking and the intention of not taking Evangelion as a simple work.
I prefer to take this second approximation. Psychodynamics are much questioned in modern psychiatry (although it works in fiction) and I don’t think Evangelion staff was thinking much about it, maybe just sometimes to guide some scenes and conflicts. Moreover a wrong interpretation of pshychodynamics can guide us to think in the wrong way with this image.
So, returning to the point, we see this image. Let’s describe it: We see a long haired woman with her torso naked and, at first watch, covering her breasts.
This image can be deconstructed in three elements: Hair, arms and breasts. They can’t be interpreted alone although we can see a combination of only two for some information. For example:
First off, what’s this image trying to tell us? Is the image saying that Shinji want to touch breasts ‘cause he is a pervert? No, of course it’s not this image’s point.
The breasts are not entirely covered by the girl’s arms, that can make our vision go there, but they are not drawn in enough definition for taking all our attention. They are important, but they don’t want us to look only at them. It’s the combination of the arm’s gestures with the breasts what is the key of the image.

What are the arms doing? I think they are making a hug-like gesture. They are not there to cover, take a look how hands don’t rest on the breasts (or at least, not just there for covering, because we see a lot of the breasts). Moreover, the arms are not in tension, they are relaxed and it communicates to us a calm feeling coming from the image. It’s a scene that doesn’t show a girl covering her breasts due to someone watching, it’s an image that shows us an intimacy moment. A moment to share acceptance and love. What does Shinji wish for? He wishes for love and acceptance. Maybe he would like to be in that hug. But if this is true, why did they draw the breasts for? Because thanks to that we can narrow a bit more the love Shinji seeks for. It can be a generic love, but he is also interested in someone from the other sex. And this interest is not just in a friendship way, as all romantic love, it takes its sexual connotations. I think we can read more about the symbolism the breasts can give to the final message, but the central point is all what I’ve spoken about.
The final question is: Who is the girl? Who wishes Shinji for? This question has, in my opinion, a clear answer: Asuka Langley Soryu. The hair the picture shows can only be Asuka’s one. Misato is the only other possibility and, first, it doesn’t fit the movie’s message and plot and, second, Misato’s hair is not a scaling hair and never is depicted in the two tufts way. However Asuka shows these two tufts in the movie some scenes later, naked, lying on Shinji.

Stop. Don't remind me. Let me rot in the stairwell in peace.

I don't know how to hate or love, that includes myself.

True story

Shinji had dirty eyes all Evangelion long and was always immediately ashamed of it. I didn't think specifically who the images were was as important as the candid sketchiness, that this was the impression forming on him all those times you were watching Shinji's eyes.

Yes, story of my life.

The idea is that someone who hates themselves can't believe in the honesty or judgement of anyone else who does not hate them. There is a fundamental gap of trust because the person can not believe that they are worthy of love.

I wouldn't call it sophistry because OPs quote is the priori, you can't impose your own definition of 'love' then wave of objection as semantic wordplay.

IT'S EXACTLY NINE THOUSAAAND

She is. I'm living proof of that.

does he see this when Human Instrumentality is happening or after he gets awakens for the first time and gets sucked into the core.

WHAT NINE THOUSAND? NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!

It's right before the live-action sequence, it's the invitation made by nude images of Misato and then Rei smiling on top of him while Asuka's voice yells at him.

She said that?

Wtf i love rei now

>One who truly hates himself cannot love, he cannot place his trust in another.

This applies to Asuka as well

psychologytoday.com/blog/emotional-fitness/201001/you-dont-need-love-yourself-first

fuck off Rei, you're wrong

Kaworu is his ideal self, by loving Kaworu he learned to love himself.

although self-love is still something that happens (because of the development of a certain relationship), you don't have to have it in order to make that healthy relationship. its not a prerequisite. You can love without self love, though one may argue that you can't maintain love without self love, as the article implies that the loving and the receiving of love from another person can help you achieve self love, which seems to be required for a long term relationship.

user, don't trust websites, they are just full of opinionated articles.

>Goldsmith Barton PHD
Radio Host

>And Misato loved Kaji
>Eva is full of shit sometimes
Interesting, I kinda see it.
Is Eva full of shit or the fans various interpretations?

Misato hates herself, and possibly does not love Kaji.
>I'll post webm/gif

>I'll post webm/gif
Misato hates herself, and possibly does not love Kaji.

>trusting psychology (((research)))

Misato and Kaji both love each other but don't know how to truly express it. Their relationship is an adult parallel of Asuka and Shinji. Hedgehog's dilemma, etc.

>trusting teh rei

it's because Kaworu allowed Shinji to simply be himself, and thus eliminated his fear and allowed him to think of himself as a non-garbage individual. this is due to the fact that shinji takes input from the outside world to determine his own worth, so until Kaworu shows him, he simply never notices.

as for misato, while she may have hated herself on the deepest level, she enjoyed her life on the surface. that is why she and Kaji could never get beyond being sexual partners and become lovers. misato cannot truly love, because she cannot trust anyone (except for shinji).

kinda makes sense

>Misato hates herself, and possibly does not love Kaji.

As in she only want's to "feel needed" not love per say.

>Their relationship is an adult parallel of Asuka and Shinji.
On the contrary, they are contrasts as relationships,
Kaji held Misato; giving her what she wanted
Shinji did not hold Asuka.

Is Kaworu Shiji from the future?

Okay answer this Sup Forums.

Can cucks love others?

A cuck can only exist when in the presence of a bull, for 2 cucks to coexist there must be 2 bulls. It's a symbiotic relationship.

What the fuck do you moronic virgins know about love? No seriously. Youre all disgustingly autistic and lonely.

We know what it's like to be lonely.

That doesnt answer the question. Can the cuck truly love "their" women?

youtube.com/watch?v=hZIHOHHA5vA

But they did express it to each other, albiet in sexual ways.
Misato and Kaji is a parralel to Shinji and Kaworu.
The entireity of Eva Misato and Shinji have parraleled each other, through their relationships with their fathers, their insecurities with themselves and others, etc.
Kaworu and Kaji are both the mysterious smug princes that swoon them, but get killed by SEELE making them break down.

No, Kaworu is the ideal Shinji

Asuka luuvs Shinji

the two scenes, that later part of the episode,

Misato was attending wedding that she did not want to be in, but stayed like how an Adult should.
Asuka bailed on an amusement-park/date that she disliked.

Misato was open about her feelings(acting out), prompting a response from Kaji; that she wanted. (hurray for alcohol)
Asuka was closed about herself, with her stunt not giving her what she wanted.(like a child)

and both go to sleep, one angered, the other happy.

the scenes in general showed how mature adults and immature children react in a similar circumstance, resulting in different ways.

Asuka hates herself, and loves nobody. (how immature of a 14yo)

No wonder she couldn't handle instrumentality. I see.

>loves nobody
Exactly.

Meanwhile, Shinji is getting happily buttfucked by the one he loves, Kaworu

Angels aren't sexual beings you dope. You must be a female who can only see male bonding in a sexual light.

You are not reading too much into this.

>Angels aren't sexual beings you dope
Yeah, they just mindrape 14 year old girls for shits and giggles.

The angels got progressively more intelligent, from the beginner generic beat-em up fighters, to the clever beat em up fighters, until they hacked into the NERV database and switched their target from NERV to their true enemy, the children. First they went after Toji, and then Asuka, and then Rei, paring down their will or ability to fight them.

Finally, they just go all the way and send out the ultimate angel, a human child with ultimate adaptability, just like their enemy, and he targets Shinji.

Shinji wins.

ok so that episode was weird. You have that weird tree thing that shows up for a second and then you see EVA 0 turn into lilith/rei for a split second. So does that mean if rei didn't self destruct third impact would have happened right then and there?

Did Kaworu love Shinji? or was he trying to gain his trust, so he could fulfill his Mission.

Did Shinji love Kaworu? or was he trying to fulfill his wishes; to be loved unconditionally, unlike his parental figures or anyone at that point.

Did Asuka Love Kaji? or was she trying to fulfill her wishes to be loved like an adult, by being loved by an adult (loved in the "Adult" way; like how her father did with a nurse, all in earshot of child Asuka.)

Shut Up Baby, I Know It
youtu.be/k4y1Di88zEk

GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW!
>then Rebuild made them super-gay
>tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

Asuka luuvs shinji.

So what?
The Angles are sperm trying to get to Lilith(the egg)

Are Nerv, and the pilots nothing more than contraception? preventing the birth of a new organism.

When said organism was born, it was aborted, and torn to shreds.

I'd be crying after being torn apart.

Did Shinji really win? Kaworu let him kill him without even resisting.
And arguably Shinji was more hurt by it than Kaworu was.

If Shinji didn't love Kaworu, why would he say he loves Kaworu several times in the show?
He's obsessed with him to the point that it's fucking creepy.

Kaworu loves Shinji, but in a different way. Kaworu loves all humans like the way you would love your cat or dog.
He doesn't have any romantic or sexual attraction to Shinji like Shinji does to him.

You know nothing about Eva lore.

Threadly reminder Kaworu is straight, but Shinji is a hardcore faggot

yeah shinji won

he even got the girl in the end

But not the girl he wanted.

if your dick gets hard for chicks you ain't gay

But if it also gets hard for dudes, then you're half gay.

shinji luuvs asuka

>You know nothing about Eva lore.
uh, I'm the same person as , just shitpisting for the kicks.
>If Shinji didn't love Kaworu, why would he say he loves Kaworu several times in the show?
Because Kaworu was the only person in Shinji's whole life to flat out say to baka-Shinji "I Love You"
> unlike his parental figures or anyone at that point.

I cant remember where, It was in Misato's car at night.
She said that she thinks Shinji want's someone to say the words that he wants to hear, Unlike his father.

It kinda was refrenced at the end of ep 24, when Shinji told her that he "loved him too" with Misato to the right of Shinji; paralleling (her next to him) in the Eva-cage bridge in episode 1.
>huh, look at that.

I believe that she was talking to Ritsuko at the time

yeah but kaworu was an angel

Never said it.

Shinji didn't know that and he got a massive boner for him.

that's cause he was too much like asuka herself.

they were soulmates

Actually Shinji is the most like Misato out of anyone in the cast.
The series itself is about Shinji and Misato and their journey through similar events, they're a massive parallel.

Kaworu/Kaji are just the romance aspect of their lives.

>Actually Shinji is the most like Misato out of anyone in the cast.
true

Are you and the rest of evageeks going to kill yourself when Rebuild makes Asuka a lesbian with Mari?

nice fanfiction

asuka luuvs shinji

>Kaworu/Kaji are just the romance aspect of their lives.
somewhat; (another contrast)

Misato did not kill Kaji in Lilith's chamber.
Shinji killed Kaworu in Lilith's chamber.

you nasty

Anno himself said Shinji and Misato are the protagonists of Eva, that the story is mostly about them.
Sorry that reality doesn't match your fanfiction.

MISATO SHOT KAJI

>Anno himself said Shinji and Misato are the protagonists of Eva
source please

Anno's statement in Shin Seiki Evangelion Vol. 1:

>The year: 2015. A world where, fifteen years before, over half the human population perished. A world that has been miraculously revived: its economy, the production, circulation, consumption of material goods, so that even the shelves of convenience stores are filled. A world where the people have gotten used to the ressurrection-yet still feel the end of the world is destined to come. A world where the number of children, the future leaders of the world, is few. A world where Japan saw the original Tokyo destroyed, discarded and forgotten, and built a new capital in Nagano Prefecture. They constructed a new capital, Tokyo-2, then left it to be a decoy-then constructed another new capital, Tokyo-3, and tried to make it safe from attack. A world where some completely unknown enemy called the "Angels" comes to ravage the cities.
This is roughly the world-view for Neon Genesis Evangelion. This is a world-view drenched in a vision of pessimism. A world-view where the story starts only after any traces of optimism have been removed.
And in that world, a 14-year-old boy shrinks from human contact. And he tries to live in a closed world where his behavior dooms him, and he has abandoned the attempt to understand himself. A cowardly young man who feels that his father has abandoned him, and so he has convinced himself that he is a completely unnecessary person, so much so that he cannot even commit suicide.

part 2:

>And there is a 29-year-old woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow the possibility of a human touch. She protects herself by having surface level relationships, and running away.
Both are extremely afraid of being hurt. Both are unsuitable-lacking the positive attitude-for what people call heroes of an adventure. But in any case, they are the heroes of this story.
They say, "To live is to change." I started this production with the wish that once the production complete, the world, and the heroes would change. That was my "true" desire. I tried to include everything of myself in Neon Genesis Evangelion-myself, a broken man who could do nothing for four years. A man who ran away for four years, one who was simply not dead. Then one thought. "You can't run away," came to me, and I restarted this production. It is a production where my only thought was to burn my feelings into film. I know my behavior was thoughtless, troublesome, and arrogant. But I tried. I don't know what the result will be. That is because within me, the story is not yet finished. I don't know what will happen to Shinji, Misato or Rei. I don't know where life will take them. Because I don't know where life is taking the staff of the production. I feel that I am being irresponsible. But... But it's only natural that we should synchronize ourselves with the world within the production. I've taken on a risk: "It's just an imitation." And for now I can only write this explanation. But perhaps our "original" lies somewhere within there.
July 17, 1995,
In the studio, a cloudy, rainy day.
PS.
By the way, Shinji's name came from a friend of mine. Misato's name came from the hero of a manga. The name Ritsuko came from a friend of mine in middle school. I borrowed from everywhere. Even names that have no bearing on anything actually came from the countless rules that govern these things. It might be fun if someone with free time could research them.

Not true. The thing is, the people who liked Shinji were all out of his life when Kaworu showed up.
>Asuka
Mind raped
>Rei
Sacrificed for him
>Misato
Offered him sex, causing estrangement
>Toji
Shinji felt responsible for his near death
>Kensuke
Evacuated
>Kaji
Dead
When someone else showed up out of nowhere and gave him attention, he instantly grew very fond of him.