Why are hammers the most underused weapon in anime and manga?

Why are hammers the most underused weapon in anime and manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iT2HzCg36x0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cartoon hammers look pretty lame.
Real hammers (like Shin in Dorohedoro), now that's cool.

history of 1000 folded nippon steel

edgy characters would rather use edgy weapons

What hammers are we talking about here

Because Hammers can break nippon steel katana so they decide to nerf it by making only retards wield it.

even better, hammers FORGES swords

Not only swords, user.
It also forges
A MAN.

Because drawing someone getting cut is 100x easier than drawing someone getting bruised.

Probably because hammers, along with axes, aren't considered as "elegant" as bladed weapons like swords and daggers.

Didn't someone in that show use balls as his weapon?

Pretty stylish.

I love the fact that IBO has roughly zero swords and plenty of picks, hammers, maces, and big fucking claws.

They have potential but swords just seem to work better. Also aside from squashing the opponent, you cant really show how hard the strike was.

With swords its as simple as: Did you hit him?

Yes: Show lots of blood or a wound

No: Well then maybe next time

Side note: Lavi from D.Gray Man was cool but didnt really use his hammer as a hammer that much. It was more of just a magical stick(aside from when he used the magic to hit people with the hammer)

They look clumsy. Japs have preference for the hayai and elegant.

I adored Chaika for the rogue siblings.

That's also why hammers, axes, maces, etc are generally reserved for more boorish characters.

I adored Chaika

Only shitty races like dwarves and minotaurs use hammers
Real warriors use swords

>MC dual wields a hammer and a sword
>by hitting the sword with the hammer it turns into another kind of sword
This could work.

Because they're not edgy enough.

That's almost Swordcraft Story

Kek

I want more Summon Night Swordcraft.

because against unarmored opponents a sword is much better.

in animu they always go for style and no one ever actually wears armor, so a hammer would be pointless.

Exactly. Anime characters practically never use armor, which is what a blunt weapon like a hammer or a mace is good against. With a bladed weapon it's much easier to inflict mortal wounds on an unarmored opponent.

There should be more spear users; it's a weapon with a number of advantages, particularly its reach and ease of use.

Because you cant handwave crushing injuries like you can slashing or piercing ones with stitches.
When an arm or leg gets seriously crushed, the most common option is amputation.

>Because you cant handwave crushing injuries like you can slashing or piercing ones with stitches
Are you serious? Characters just shrug off blows that look like they should have snapped their spines in half and survive dropping from a skyscraper with cosmetic damage.
Unless they have literally been crushed into paste they'll recover just fine, and I've seen quite a few characters get a bodypart chopped or slashed off but never turned to mush.

And if a blade cut a major artery in an arm or leg then you'd bleed out in minutes. A hammer strike could be shown to just leave a bruise that barely inconveniences a character.

>see cut
>get bandaged
>it's all good

>see bruise
>bleeding interally, dying muscle tissue turning into poison in your bloodstream
>nothing you can do
>die

Right before the invention and adoption of firearms, basically every melee weapon was a polearm. Why try to get close and swing a sword when you can try and poke your opponent from 4 feet away with a halberd?

Even the Japanese did this, it's just not as prevalent in media because sword fights look cooler than turtling with a spear.

>underused

The term Hammerspace exists for a reason, newfag, and it's because hammers were overused in anime. The '80s and '90s were hammertime.

This have to be turned into a manga.

A Blacksmith MC instead of the usual boring swordsman. His hammer can also forge the enemies' weapon into something else entirely.

If one can accept a character shrugging off a cut that way then it's completely idiotic to say that shrugging off a bruise in the same way breaks one's suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, spears were one of the traditional weapons of the samurai along with swords. I guess the prevalence of swords is because it's less convenient to carry a spear with you every day as a mark of status the way samurai did with their swords.

what about a sword that turns into a big hammer

I don't think you can equate the two. You get cut, you get patched up, you get better. Depending on the timeframe it can be a stretch, but it works in a fictional setting. There's some logic behind it.

With blunt weapons, your only options are shrug it off and tough it out. That's not very dramatic, especially if done repeatedly.

Because Asians prefer edged weapons
Unlike Europeans with their war picks, maces, mauls and frails.

Swords and other eged weapons can't cut plate armor or chainmail.

>I still can't escape seeing Maiposts
Amazing

Spears don't make much sense for most anime characters because they carry their weapon around all the time. And carrying a spear around all day long is rather annoying, while a sword will hardly get in the way.

And in animes where armies fight each other we see a lot of spears. So I'd say the amount of spear users is appropriate.

Because Hammers are ugly as fuck. Unlike Swords which are elegant and a sign of power.

Japanese have a retarded hard-on for katanas which were even regarded as a shit tier weapon at the height of the samurais power. It was literally considered pleb tier to be decent at swordmanship because it meant you didn't trust your skills in your main weapon. Katanas were also mostly only just to designate status or ritual tool rather than being used as an actual weapon.

Nobody cares about your hateboner for katanas faggot.

Because hammers, mauls, maces are great weapons for crushing plate and mail. The elevens never got glorious full plate armor.

Kirkhammer is my waifu.

Nothing beats smashing an eldritch abomination while also stabbing it.

You cant escape maibot.exe, its impossible.

And their katanas can cut through any armor like hot butter.

Well, since everyone in animeland seems to be allergic to armor, swords happen to be an adequate choice of arms.

Give me more Mai and Makoto.

What kind of weapon is the wheel?

Catherine wheel used to break bones

You could even call it a bone wheel

Japanese were too retarded to use appropiate armor, so blunt weapons were never really used in japanese battlefields, it's not part of their tradition.

They're not flashy and most anime is about style over substance. Didn't Re:Zero have a character that fought with a hammer or a mace?

If you think about it hammers are the most brutal. Broken bones internal wounds

In a setting with magic you can simply have the character summon or transform their weapon so that they don't have to carry it.

Because katanas have a reputation of looking cooler

youtube.com/watch?v=iT2HzCg36x0

too much effort to draw. not the hammer itself but the effects of the hammer when it hits stuff. with bladed weapons you add a clean line and blood splatter. cant get away with that with a bludgeon

warpick are osom.

What? I'd say they're more common than spears unless it's a historical anime.
There's definitely a bias towards katanas with a few straight edge swords or sabers thrown in but there are plenty of hammers and scythes though they tend towards unrealistic cartoonishness.

I agree with a lot of anons itt that lethality is a factor of when they're used like with lasers. Realistically lasers should burn and hammers should break bones and skulls and skin and there are cases of them being used that way but there's a lot more of lasers like xmen eye blasts where they knock stuff around and hammers being nearly nerf foam. It allows dramatic attacks that do little actual damage to stretch battles out. Swords and bullets seem more "real" in their effect to many people so that when one hits someone they expect clear damage. In a way it's layman misunderstanding of the world though I'd say there's a large factor of content creators reinforcing and even creating it.

underused in games too. People just have shit taste and like generic swords and gay bows more.

This guy looks so fucking anime.