20 years ago in Bongland

We decided overwhelmingly against the idea of ID cards citing 'muh privacy, muh 1984' etc.

>FF 20 odd years.

Your entire life is now 'in the cloud' you are tracked by GPS to within an inch, they know your habits, they know who your family are and your friends and where you work and where you holiday. They know everything. Now they are in your home connected to every possible thing.

So I ask you /pol how the fuck did this happen?

Becuase desu, I think its time to shut it down, shut it all down.

how the fuck are kids as young as 5 being targeted for internet connected devices?

Holy shit, the world is addicted, we are in serious serious trouble and we dont even know it.

>thinking it's "trouble" or "change"
>not realizing you are an old type of people that isn't going to exist anymore

you lost, you are over

I feel like a luddite, but its not like that. When the internet has reach into your home and across borders its time to either shut it down or resprevit it use. We need internet passports, even more secure than normal passports.

Otherwise its all fucked.

And Facebook need to go, we need to delete that website for good.

>you are tracked by GPS
GPS is one-way communication, britbong. Your phone reads the signals and runs various calculations on-device. The software on your phone may track you by accessing this data, but in no way can GPS itself track you.

>the brainless children of the next generation are actually proud of it

Kys

>it totally doesnt then send those calculations to a server

Kys

Corporations turned the prime rule of the internet from "Don't put any personal information online" to "All your friends are putting their information online, you should too!" And people were stupid enough to do it.
I ain't online though. I've got no "social media" presence. I've got no new cell phone with GPS. I get paid in cash and don't have any bills in my name. You search me, and there's 0 results.
But I'm a "fucking weirdo" for this apparently.

No, i'm old enough (43) to remember life before mobile phones and the fucking internet and let me tell you this, it was better, much better.

Globalization has fucked us as well, fucking liberals. Whats wrong with protectionism?, its talked about like its a fucking fascist ideology or somthing, whats wrong with self preservation?

How the fuck can we compete with China who doesnt play by the rules?

technological society will eventually collapse

it is inevitable

history repeats itself again and again

Traditionally British people viewed compulsory carry of ID cards or driver licence as something for Europeans and Americans. A free man should not have to identify himself if he is minding his own business.

TV licensing. Why.
>

Where did it all go wrong?

>Your entire life is now 'in the cloud' you are tracked by GPS to within an inch
Only if you decide to actually do those things.

>So I ask you /pol how the fuck did this happen?
The convenience of these things outweighs the downsides for the average person.

I mean, you are for being so autistic about it

OK true, but GPS software can be accessed and give your location remotely quite easily

I worked as a project manager for a UK mobile phone provider, I helped integrate our software to the handsets and belive me, there are holes.

Becuase its worth it.

>Don't use a "smart"phone
>don't upload shit to the cloud/social media
You can live without these things, they're entirely voluntary

>life before mobile phones and the fucking internet and let me tell you this, it was better, much better.

This is true.

>ADVERTISING IS THE PROBLEM
> also )ews

>The convenience of these things outweighs the downsides for the average person.
Maybe, but it feels wrong.

I was 9 when i got my first computer (ZXspectrum) Addictive it was. I would spend hours writing programmes in BASIC, just to see a little spider drop down and run along the screen, but it was...just amazing and i was hooked.
a few years later 89 i think I was online gaming with geeks at MIT with my BBC micro and Dads modem.
Even ten years later most people would not know what the world wide web was or the internet, if you used 'computers' you were a despicable nerd. And it wasn't cool to be a nerd.

I'm saving that one holy shit, most of those are lies and taken out of context, you do know that? still hilarious though.

So another reason why the internet needs to be shut down.

Do you all remember when quizz nights had no cheats? I do, it was great.
Or when you went to a gig no cunt had a screen in front of their boat capturing it all? Aye, i remember.

Holy shit this is a good fucking idea.

I belive i know how to take the WWW offline, theoretically at least.

I know, I started building my own PCs a bit later, about 21 years ago when I was 13, that was the era of the 56k modem, paying dial up fees and being bullied for essentially being a nerd. Now you're bullied if you're not on facebook.

It's a bit crap that in some sense you do need to be opted into these things, Moxy Marlinspike said it well at DefCon a hacking conference that in some sense you opt into something and it no longer remains a real choice, you can't go back, not without alienating yourself.

There's 7+ billion people on the planet and no one cares about you, that's the most relieving thing. I've downloaded entire data sets like ashleymadison leaks and it's just a sea of data, maybe you look for your friends/coworkers, and maybe famous people but in general no one gives a shit about your data unless you're rich/famous or some kind of target.

It's a fairly new and rapid change so we've not adjusted yet but many services out there, there's now secure equivalents and that will continue to grow and oppose the kind of spying element of free stuff like gmail/chrome for example.

But the average person doesn't care really, I'm a massive IT geek and hacker, and even I don't care that much.

Indeed. Nations use their largest telecom co's as instruments of national policy. State intelligence services are very discreetly wired in.

nyc nigger here and its not this bad yet but you can see it in the works, after I've made my money here I'm taking my family and moving west to more free pastures, probably to a place where I can buy a massive plot of land. You should do the same.

Simple explanation.. Smart phones are the mark of the beast.

>era of the 56k modem
I miss those days but i used to lose my shit if i lost con playing Ultima online
>Moxy Marlinspike said it well at DefCon a hacking conference that in some sense you opt into something and it no longer remains a real choice, you can't go back, not without alienating yourself.
Its true.
Its all about revenue streams for the Facebooks, Googles, nothing more. They are modernday highwaymen, there are no police, they dont answer to anyone or respect borders or laws.
Why do we tread their path? If you drawn a line down a page that line is FB, google, there is the entire page to explore, why walk their path?

Then how does Google know where I work? How does Google maps show traffic jams in real-time? How does Google maps show how long a typical visit to a business is? Why did Google maps ask me to review locations it KNEW I was in? Use proxies, disable location settings. Then neck yourself.

I worked at google, and every time you do a voice search your actual voice recording gets uploaded to the google's server (if you are connected to the internet). Now of course they do it under the guise of """improving""" the search algorithm and getting training data for models and what not.

But wanna bet they do the same shit with maps?

Because we were too worried about becoming 1984 that we ran headlong into Brave New World.

> loyal bongistan subject of the queen
> wants to solve everything with another type of id card

I think I see the problem.

I remember seeing George Clooney at a premier and some woman had jumped the barrier and managed to get his attention, he offered his hand to shake, but she was holding a large tablet in front of her face and they awkwardly shakes hands then he moved on.

How sad i thought, she has just jumped the barrier to meet her idol and she didnt even make eye contact, her ONE chance to share an intermediate moment, hold each others gaze ..gone!

It made me sad for humanity.

The whole idea was for better security, they argued.
But now we have no better security and all privacy gone.

That worked out well.

Underrated.