I recently accepted a job with a large biopharma company in Turku, Finland. I'm moving there this coming January...

I recently accepted a job with a large biopharma company in Turku, Finland. I'm moving there this coming January. What do I have to look forward to?

another user told me finbros don't take kindly to strangers, especially Burgers, is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwbn-s4ZZY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I went there once and didn't come out alive. Good luck burger.

They're all suicidal, you'll fit right in.

just don't enter their 5meters radius personal space or youre gonna get slashed

>kindly to strangers, especially Burgers
Huh? There's barely any americans here, so why would we act hostile? Hating burgers is more of a anglo thing anyway. If you're black or arab then some people might not like you though

Turku is a nice place with decent people.
Just don't think there is something wrong with you if there is an "awkward silence"
There is nothing awkward about silence.

Nobody cares, desu
What you do is how you are treated.

I'm as white as they come.

If you like sitting in a dark corner in front of a bottle of vodka, minding your own bussines and being silent, then you should be alright.

10/10 would go there.

>Ireland 19%
>white

Please don’t pollute Finland’s gene pool.

>insecure whiteness test

>lets give em some kind of my DNA, so I can check, if my grandma was a whore who slept with a irish dude

Never change, america.

You'll be just fine. The thing about our small talk is not a meme though, so don't take it personally if locals might seem distant at first.

get ready for a bunch of elliot rodger-tier hapas. you're probably going to get stabbed in first week, but remember to NOT cluch the wound, as they see it as a sign of weakness and continue stabbing.

>another user told me finbros don't take kindly to strangers, especially Burgers
There's no prejudice with burgers, but you guys tend to get on Finns nerves just by being yourselves. So maybe tone down the burgerness a bit and noone will look at you twice.

>Italy/Greece 1%
You have to go back.

If you want to be extroverted chatty murican stereotype, you do that in a bar. Not on the bus or grocery store.

Other than that I don't see an issue. I've maximized my finnish meme points for having a chat with my neighbours less than 10 times in the 4 years I've been living in this place.

thanks for the info anons, appreciate it.

they get really defensive over laura southern

You can usually trust complete strangers even with your own belongings.
ie. if you drop your wallet, there is a chance it will get returned to you with nothing stolen.
Not sure about that these days with all the foreginers around tho.

sounds comfy

>minding your own bussines and being silent
Unless you have internet, then it's quite the opposite

Just don't be an ass and you'll be fine.

mooooooooomins

Get used to eating bugs fellow burger. What the Fingoloids call meat come from cockroaches and shit.

>laura southern
I think you'll find it's Lorna Southern

Keep it to yourself, don't talk too much and do not use superlatives. You also must show what you are capable of before you gain respect

Ok, first of all, understand that the culture you're going into is like night and day to what you're used to. American culture is very ego-centric, here that stuff just gets on peoples nerves. You're not supposed to make yourself the center of attention, do your best to not inconvenience others (if not necessary), and for the love of god, no small-talk.

You might want to look into Law of Jante, it's quite hyperbolic but it should give you an idea at what you're stepping into.

But, in the end, if you just mind your own business, noones gonna give you trouble. People will be polite to you no matter what, even if they wish you'd jump off a bridge.

>for the love of god, no small-talk.
that's it. i'm moving to Finland

It is true, we don’t like strangers in our swamp

Welcome to best country in the world.

Fuck off toothpaste

The worst of Finland are Finns. 70% are plainly crazy/autistic. Be a bit empathic and you will find plenty of blondes to sleep with. Pretty comfy country, though.

turku is full of fags. they will get along with burgers just fine.

We just dont like strangers in our forested swamp

Tampere pride.

it's a fairly large University city right?

last time i was in tampere all i saw was fags, communists, some weeb freaks dancing in a park and sjw's. cant say i was left with a good impression with that place either

Welcome. It's probably going to be -20C, daytime will be measured in minutes and you are moving into the asshole of this country. Have fun.

You'll be fine. Just do not be the normal Anglo / American with the first question to everybody "what do you do". Nobody gives a fuck.

You are coming during the worst time of the year, so if you survive the first 4 months, life will be better.

Girls here are the most stuck up cunts you find in the whole country. They look nice though. And probably appreciate burgers, especially if you are from some big city and can tell a story.

alright so you WILL need to drink ES, preferably at least 2 cans per day

go to Ylilauta.org, learn from the meme lords ignore the underage retards and you will be a Finn in no time

Never go to Varissuo. Avoid that place like plague.

20k students

the original laughing stock of finland. full of swedes and niggers before multiculturalism was even a thing.

You are talking to burger. Varissuo is probably like a normal neighborhood for him

you will be knifed

Oh you were there for the antifa rally?

i'll kill you myself if you do you fucking mutt

University and shipyards. A nice walk along the river, but wait till June for that

Here in Oulu some guy burned an American flag.

Get a shitbox and start rallying like a madman. Seems like they take pride in rally/motorsports on most of the stuff I see about them. Had a Finn and an exchange student in my highschool and he told his uncle drove for an amateur team.

i was visiting a friend. i'm from the north and i'll never get used to that kind of around the clock freakshow.

Why were you in here?

Turku is a nice small city. The area around the river is beautiful. Public transportation is excellent and cheap. Only negatives is that the city center is very small and immigrants move there from their dedicated suburbs during working hours.

t. Turku

But you are the asshole of Finland

how many niggers?
>tfw spotted a pack of Somali when I was in Helsinki

Olin tutkija Helsingissa

You know I love you, I just have to throw in some shade because of the Hervanta university. We've been rivals since time immemorial.

Is that the same river people have been falling into and drowned? They recently wrote news articles about it.

>january
Just in time for the first cold days of winter. I hope you like cold and dark places.

you'll be fine

same, wtf I only saw green haired sjws and arabs but that was in keskusta, it wasn't that bad a bit further outside

obviously no one likes Americans but Finland has universal English knowledge and is clean, safe, and rich. Turku has a significant Swedish minority. there is nothing to worry about

>significant Swedish minority

around 10%. Is that significant?

>swedish
I'll beat you up

yeah. America has 10% niggers for comparison

Americans are generally seen as annoying loudmouths but they are not hated (and why would they be since there are basically no american in finland)

I actually just came back from USA. Was working there for 4 years.

For the question. Just do things as you did in America. Pretty much same values though Finns are more silent and straight forward. Don't mix up that bluntness for rudeness as some foreigners do.

Welcome To Finland (WTF)
You've already heard about the small talk thing; this is true especially in Turku. Turku people are elsewhere in Finland considered somewhat aloof and averse to anyone not from their neighborhood. Generally that's exaggerated, and especially a white foreigner who earns his own keep will be accepted more readily. Also keep in mind that personal distance in Finland is different to what you're probably used to.
Turku is a good town for a foreigner: everyone speaks English and there's already many foreigners in the University and various tech companies.. Unfortunately the other side of immigration is very visible as well: Turku was the first place in Finland to get allahuackbar'd last summer and some areas are gradually sliding towards Malmö tier. If you're looking for accommodation look anywhere else except Varissuo, Lauste or Runosmäki suburbs. One of those will become Finland's first no go zone in few years.

>don't be too confident openly
>don't exaggerate
>statements are promises
>don't small talk
>be punctual but casual
>forget being "nice" and fake, start being honest

Natural selection purging the drunken retards from our gene pool.

I'm Finnish, can I come home? :^)
Do you need physicists/engineers?

lmao
a literal 56% face

Not too many. Mostly Somalians though. You only see them in a 500m radius around the market garden, in the couple of immigrant suburbs and the bus line that connects them.

I look white, senpai

Shut up! Shut up you American. You always talk, you Americans, you talk and you talk and say 'Let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this', Well you're dead now, so shut up.

Wasn't aware I made a Mohammad joke.

Has anyone drowned in vappu in the Aurajoki like in the last 5 years? I guess that is about the most drunken people are running around Turku. Haven't heard that in a while.

That guy you replied to smells like shit

Shut up! Shut up you American. You always talk, you Americans, you talk and you talk and say 'Let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this', Well you're dead now, so shut up.

you may not like it,
but this is what peak whiteness looks like

Look at this cuck sucking the amerimutt cock

but to become finnish you must first understand how the finn thinks

youtube.com/watch?v=1Iwbn-s4ZZY

I didn't know UK universities had a course on spamming /pol too. I though it was restricted to California honestly.

>don't small talk
What are you allowed to talk about?

I dunno, though I wouldn't be surprised. The river area is absolutely packed during Vappu and Midsummer. It feels like the entire city is gathered there. Then again, there's so many people around that it would be hard to fall in without getting noticed.

Silence, cracKKKa.

Anything that has any substance. It's okay to just shut the fuck up if you don't have anything smart to say in Finland.

so, considering the straight forward, no small talk nature of finbros, what's my best bet to meet/befriend based fins? Or am I destined to be stuck alone in cold, perpetual darkness with a bottle of vodka?

Work/parties/bars

The darkness thing is kind of a meme. It's only November/December that's really bad. Pic related.

DNA websites modeling it as partially northeastern doesn't mean you're Finnish. They are just trying to allocate your genome within a limited framework of meme components.

Seems a bit arbitrary...

Where the fuck were you last winter when it got dark at like 4pm even in Helsinki. Were you in somalia visiting your family?

>last winter
It's pretty much every winter, lad.

Do you play pool?
I really suggest a pool bar to meet random people, the only reason I found people to talk to in the UK while being 4 months there was a pool bar.

You don't even need to know how to play.

but this winter hasnt truly started yet

There are two universities, art and businness schools etc - it's a student town alright. Lot of immigrants, also - the mall in Varissuo for example is 90% immigrant owned shops. Turku tends to divide opinions. Some like the artsy vibe, some think of locals as snobs. And they are. You will never be a part of the real Turku unless you were born in Heidegger and your family history in Turku goes back at least 5 generations.
Prettiest girls in Finland though

There's no need to fill the silence in between conversations with stupid bullshit in Finnish culture. That's about it. It's ok to be quiet for a while.