MIYAZAKI TRIGGERED BY 3D ANIMATION DESIGNED TO PUT HIM OUT OF BUSINESS

youtube.com/watch?v=BfxlgHBaxEU 2D animators btfo?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/thread/150754341/
youtube.com/watch?v=j4-6YI04IiE
youtube.com/watch?v=V59VXRN1YnU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_press
nationalpost.com/m/wp/full-comment/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-robson-modern-art-is-garbage-and-it-stinks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We have this same thread yesterday.

btfo by that garbage? hopefully not. it's worse than the berserk anime this year.

Link?

Its new to me you nerd

Holy shit Miyazaki schooling those immature brats about life, glorious.

>literally "this triggered me"
What a fucking joke.

Shit trips.

He's just a bitter old man.

Meme harder.

>that zoom to Miyazaki's eye
Cheesy likes his movies.

I think he's more upset by the fact he realized Japan can't do 3D animation.

Didn't Miyazaki make a comparison to the iPad and masturbation?

>He's just a bitter old man.

They are literally trying to replace artists with machines. He has every right to be upset. They didn't even think about their tech demon could appear they just slapped it up their and said look, we can replace you with a AI.

Well I do view doujins on my tablet, so he's not entirely wrong.

I thought Miyazaki was going to have a good point about why 3d animation is shit.

Instead all I got was

>wahhh this reminds me of my crippled friend thus its bad.

What a pussy. He should have attacked WHY 3D animation is shit instead of talking about his friend.

Congrats you are retarded.

He really is. I mean I fucking hate 3D animation and I hope it never catches on in Japan. It looks like shit. But fuck Miyazaki for sperging out on those guys. They are experimenting and trying to "create" something that pretentious oldfaggot is constantly bitching about. How nowadays everyone is a consumer and not a creator. Well Mr. Miyazaki you got 3 guys infront of you that are trying to revolutionize animation. He's being a hypocritical artfag. Only reason anyone takes his opinion seriously is because of how overrated his studio is.

The guy has been ranting about technology for years. He's literally an angry old man yelling at the sky. Best thing for him is to retire into obscurity.

>They are literally trying to replace artists with machines.
We've been replacing people with machines for 200 years.
Welcome to the future grandpa.

3D is disgusting though.
Cel animation was the golden era of anime.

>we can replace you with a AI
It's sad that those lazy fucks honestly think this. They must have absolutely no creative imagination whatsoever. What are they hoping to get animated by a machine eventually, literally just people walking down a hallway and other extremely repetitive animation? I sincerely doubt an AI will ever get more sophisticated than that.

Why is he so grumpy?

>people want another repeat of last thread's autismo

desuarchive.org/a/thread/150754341/

wtf I hate 3d animation now

Art is a reflection of the human condition, its not something that we should replace machines. Its the same as having a robot write a song. Sure we can do it but why?

The machine is not trying to communicate with us like an artist does. There is no conversation. We lose something of ourselves in the process when we give up that which makes us human. .

We had this thread a dozen of times already, fuck off.

>artfags literally using the "t-theres no way a machine can replace a human soul!" argument
You fucks are so ignorant is hilarious.

You could probably get a Markov chain to write a halfway decent isekai story.

Nice borderline retarded comment there Miyazaki dick rider.

However unappealing 3D animation is, those three are trying to create something quite sophisticated. Calling them 'lazy fucks' shows your lack of understand of what an undertaking it would be to create an A.I. that can animate as good as a person without any direction. If they did this it could potentially change 3D animation for the better. Of course, it's a pipe dream in our current age but it's better than being a pretentious old artist and putting people down for trying something new.

Miyazaki reminds me of this page of Gantz.

>desuarchive.org/a/thread/150754341/
>making the same thread again

Come on m8

There has never been a good point as to why 3D is inherently bad, trust me. I know some people bitch when it's overly done in 2D, but that's just because it wasn't incorporated well enough. All "arguments" against 3D are just muh feels and not muh 2D. The process of creating 3D well enough, like they do with Pixar, goes through the same process as 2D, perhaps a whole lot more, so the argument that it's not good enough just isn't valid.

>a machine can replace the thought and soul of an animator getting paid 3 bucks per hour working 17 hours a day

>Calling them 'lazy fucks' shows your lack of understand of what an undertaking it would be to create an A.I. that can animate as good as a person without any direction
To me they are lazy because they obviously aren't creative. Rather than do what it takes to become more creative, they would rather write a program like dull codemonkeys so they can tell the most primitive creativity-lacking stories possible.

That machine is made by human programmers, mongoloid. It just doesn't randomly spawn.

It's like when carfags are presented with a modern grocery getter that's faster than some decades old death trap and go all "it's got no soul and character "

>Engineering a full IA isn't a creative process
>only art is a creative endeavor
You're a fucking retard.
Check the definition of "engineering" and kill yourself afterwards.

This is just pure sophistry.

They were demonstrating an AI that learned to walk on its own. The whole purpose of their display was to show how they could develop a program to do something.

Its the same with Googles AI they developed to write songs that emulate classic composers. Sure it may sound like them but their is nothing to it. The computer is not trying to convey any meaning like the original artist.

The work is hollow

I can't necessarily agree with you because I haven't seen a good example of 3D even from Disney/Pixar. I just think it looks ugly.

The reason I got into anime is because I thought the style of 80s/90s anime looked cool and thought it was cool in motion.

Traditional animation is just more colorful, vibrant, full of imperfections but that is part of the appeal.

I think the only way to get me to like 3D animation is if they can blend it so seamlessly into 2D work that I don't even notice it.

Foune the humanities major.

youtube.com/watch?v=j4-6YI04IiE
It's not like Miyazaki hates all technology, he uses it for his movies sometimes. For exemple computer program was used in some scenes of Princess Mononoke with the demon god's worms. He just prefer to go by hand animation as much as he can.
It's hard to tell with only the short clip but their presentation didn't seem very well thought out.

seems all he does is whine lately. His last movie about planes was kind of bad too

AHAHAH what a close minded asshole.

It sadly is true. You've got to wait for a generation to blow up before things can really move forward.

absolutely no mercy

In this particular context it is barely creative. How can you argue that it is? They clearly want to just automate certain people's jobs and they observe good animation as being something repetitive and easy to replicate with a machine, which is just not the case for anything above the most primitive works out there.

If you're defending those idiots you're advocating for lower quality standards in Japanese animation. Prepare to see more horrendous blunders like Berserk 2016.

"Dull code monkeys" write CRUD corporate shit, web apps and other mundane stuff. Engineers and actual programmers solve complex problems in creative, efficient ways.

He sounds like a washed up old man who can't keep up with time.

>In this particular context it is barely creative. How can you argue that it is?
You think an IA is something that you just brainlessly make by copying code from stack overflow or something?
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, advanced and sophisticated IAs would prevent a blunder like Berserk 2016 while delivering animation at a nice quality and efficiently, so the humans can actually waste their time on actual creative stuff like planning the storyboard and direction.

>Sure we can do it but why?

Why not? If the robot surpasses humans, then humans should learn from it. If the robot is worse than humans, then why should they feel threatened by it?

Can't stand a little competition?

A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well, so why do we need humans to write them? Taken to the extreme why do we even need humans to read them?

A human knows what suffering is so naturally they should be the ones who attempt to capture suffering in art. Art is a dialogue between the creator and the viewer. If you replace one with AI then it becomes a pointless endeavor. You are no longer producing art, you are producing a commodity.

youtube.com/watch?v=V59VXRN1YnU

Why is he so moe? (And what's the deal with the goats?)

Is this post-post-modern art?

Miyazaki is disgusting. He just has to be THAT guy.

I'm not defending their project. That shit looked like babies first step into Maya. Those kids looked like College Freshmen.

What I'm defending is their dream. Miyazaki didn't give out any constructive criticism for their project. All he did was get triggered and draw up a strawman argument about his crippled friend and how this somehow correlates to their project and trivializing crippled people.

I'm sure at one point in his life Miyazaki was seen as a maveric with radical ideas towards animation. Now he's the guy that puts down those kids with crazy ideas. Nobody is saying that it be great if animators are completely replaced by machines but it would be fascinating to see someone create an A.I. that is as sophisticated as a human being in terms of animation.

It's also worth noting that just because it's an A.I. doing the work doesn't mean the animation will look like Berserk 2016. An A.I. with a sophisticated drawing & animation algorithm could potentially replicate hours of human labor of hand drawn slides. It could be used to assist a human animator. Not replace them.

>Deep/learning

>THAT guy
Sup Forums?

>WAAAAAAAAAAAH PROGRESS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

It's literally this scene, and he's right.

>so the humans can actually waste their time on actual creative stuff
>waste their time
You aren't fooling anyone, codemonkey. We know you're just looking to automate and replace other peoples' jobs rather than provide more complex and better toolsets for artists.

If art is an expression and creating machines that can draw is an expression in itself, it is the expression of an age that lacks integrity and depends on automated systems to do things for them.

Another thing that is being underminded here is the impressiveness of an artist that goes above and beyond for his work. Seeing something that looks amazing and like it took an entire person's life to master their craft and be able to execute is impressive and is part of the experience of art. A very complex program is impressive too, but intellectually so. It's cool to see but it doesn't have the same effect, and the works created by it will not carry that same effect. We lose that part of the experience of art from machines. And that is a huge part of the experience, the biggest defining influence of the culture that surrounds art and continues to push it even higher. Eliminate that and you will see a drop in quality, not an improvement.

>It could be used to assist a human animator. Not replace them.

He has used electronic tools in his animation before. He has no problem with tools assisting animators. What he does not want to see is animators replaced with AI.

I don't see how commodities are pointless.

Sorry bro. I know you think humans are some kind of special snowflake in the universe, but we're not.

Lmao GOAT video. The look on their faces to try and come up with a response. That ending was savage.

Part 1: Anime was a mistake.

Part 2: AI CG was a mistake.

Will there be a trilogy? Find out on the next action packed episode of Hayao Miyazaki Z!

Its for a video game you moron. AI based animation is incredible and holds so much potential in an interactive medium. They were idiots to show it to Miyazaki who cant even entertain the idea of it.

>A sufficiently advanced AI could generate the stories and stories as well, so why do we need humans to write them?
We don't need them, people will still write stories when they have something to tell, it won't ever stop, the ones that will be fucked will be the hacks that just write garbage to cash in, absolutely nothing of value will be lost.

Nice how you skipped over the point by the way, autistically drawing 200000 frames that are barely different from each other is not a creative endeavor, and I'm assuming in the future those will be the first jobs in the industry to be replaced when we get software that can do it with an optimal output quality

You're relating 3D animation to the shit you've seen until now because you're n ignorant fuck that doesn't realize that 3D animation nowadays is shit precisely because the algorithms are mediocre.

I think one can vehemently disagree with Miyazaki's personal views while still respecting the work that he's made. Too many times in this fandom anime fans have this polarized view of Miyazaki where you have to have this unflinching adoration of him and it's a blasphemy to say anything negative about him. On the other hand, you have fans who despise Miyazaki the man so much that they can't even bring themselves to say one positive thing about his movies and they'll completely write off all of his filmography because of their ideological differences with him. I think either outright hatred or outright idolization of Miyazaki isn't healthy for anime fandom and we need to take a more nuanced view of Miyazaki's legacy. Having said that, given how well known Miyazaki's hatred of CGI is, I'm not sure why anyone would show him this barely finished project to try and change his mind on CGI. They should have at least showed him a finished product for him to be able to fairly judge it. On the other hand, I think Miyazaki is being entirely unreasonable in completely writing off any project like this based on this very short barely started work. I'm also not sure why Miyazaki brought up the point about his disabled friend but it was entirely awkward and frankly rather offensive of him to try and use the troubles disabled people go through to insult somebody' else's work. And you can just tell how much everyone in this room is now despising Miyazaki after his reaction to them.

Oh how awful
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_press

Miyazaki's like those hippie aliens from Star Trek: Insurrection that said "we believe when you make a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from that man". He's well documented as a technophobe

They are not pointless, but they are not art. Humans create art. Its one of the ways we communicate with each other. It helps bridge the gap that every human faces when trying to understand the mind of another.

What is a machine trying to communicate to you when it creates a story, or draws a picture?

How do you define machine? How much automation involved so a work could not be called art? Are you saying cinema is not the 7th art? You're so wrong I don't know where to begin. Bash the idiots who use such bad quality engine, not the effort to create one.
The argument sounds exactly like analog vs digital cameras.

>"We made an AI drag around a ragdoll"
>"This is fucking garbage"
>"Someday this will replace you Miyazaki."

>If art is an expression and creating machines that can draw is an expression in itself, it is the expression of an age that lacks integrity and depends on automated systems to do things for them.
>m-muh feelings
>Another thing that is being underminded here is the impressiveness of an artist that goes above and beyond for his work.
>m-muh technique

How to spot an art major: the post

In an interview in the July issue of “Neppuu”, the Studio Ghibli published pamphlet, the famed animator does not pull any punches when discussing the iPad, or what he calls the “game machine-like thing” that people are “stroking with strange gestures”.

“For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever,” Miyazaki said about the iPad. “It’s disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying.”

> *TRIGGERED*

He should just shut the fuck up already. He even proved himself wrong in the video by talking about his friend. A Zombie would have rigor mortis and his muscles wouldn't work, just like his friend's which proves the technology works well.

If you love nature so much why don't you go back to the jungle you stupid ape?
Fucking hypocrites, they're okay with having internet and smartphones yet they have the gull to diss technology and advancement. Fucking subhumans I swear.

>"We made an AI drag around a ragdoll"
>"This is fucking garbage"
>"Someday this will replace you Miyazaki."

>Miyazaki was seen as a maveric with radical ideas towards animation
At what point of his career do you suppose this happened?

Don't throw baseless shit out there.

>Yeah, just autimate everything involved in the artistic process
>All anime will be CGshit, and if it's "2D" it'll look like western cartoons made in flash
>Nothing to worry about, it's just progress!

>Art is a reflection of the human condition

What does modern art say about those who make it?

nationalpost.com/m/wp/full-comment/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-robson-modern-art-is-garbage-and-it-stinks

talentless hack spotted.

>"We made an AI learn how to drag around like a ragdoll by itself"
>"This reminds me of my crippled friend so it's horrible"

>machines cant reflect the human condition

Surely you realize that art is physically impossible without technology. Can't make music without instruments, paintings without brushes, etc. Just because humans are one more degree removed doesn't make it any different.

he is so mad

>Sure we can do it but why?

Because why not? Why do people create art to begin with?

Because we want to.

The man himself has used computers in the past to assist in production, the video was posted earlier in this threat. The whole purpose of this AI is not to assist animators its to eventually replace them.

>He's well documented as a technophobe
Only when they don't have wings.

What does cinema have to do with this?

I was an IT major with a concentration in web development and a minor in digital humanities (interface study courses).

>m-muh feelings
>m-muh technique
Do you know what we are discussing here? Art is about emotion and technique you colossal retard. If you're going to mock that, you don't belong anywhere's near art.

your grandpa didn't die in guadalcanal for this.

Inferiority complex is the soul of an artist. It's not that surprising that they would get triggered by the concept of an A.I. doing their work better than them.

Modern Art needs a serious overhaul. It's been nothing but 'muh feefees' since the cancerous Picasso movement. Classical art needs to make a comeback. There's a reason why nobody takes art students seriously anymore.

>but they are not art
And?

Art has jack to do with technique.

I was being facetious you fucking tard. Trying to make a point that Miyazaki was young once too, at least I hope.

Doubt he hates CG

he has used it in his movies

he's friends with the guy who founded pixar

his next film is cgi

hell the only reason why he hates the video in qustion is for some reason it reminds him of a disabled friend

>The whole purpose of this AI is not to assist animators its to eventually replace them.
If this AI becomes capable of delivering animation at a better quality than animators then it'll eventually happen and no one will complain.
The only reason people is against it is out of the absurd notion that human animation has some quality intrinsically related to the human condition that makes it unimitable by a machine, just because we haven't seen a machine capable of doing so yet.

>There's a reason why nobody takes art students seriously anymore.
>people say this while watching game of thrones, listen to music, and read comics/manga

Jesus Christ, are people really this fucking stupid? Are you the same idiots who think that CG modeling is "just another tool" for animators to use, despite being a completely different skillset and thus not allowing talented animators to actually draw things, but rather call for some riggers to make shitty models dance?

Do you really not see how some things are automated and the person doing them doesn't matter, but others require human input for the sake of creativity and passion? I'm a biomedical researcher, and the thought of a bunch of idiots on the internet pretending "Science and automation are the ultimate progress!" and that the human element can be removed from all creation make me sick to my stomach.

>he has used it in his movies
Rarely. And reluctantly. He hates CG.

Maybe if they've used better example, his views in AI might've been a bit better.

Seriously, what were thinking?

>every piece of art ever was made by an art student
Someone with a skill and something to say makes art.
Someone without skill and without something to say but with the desire to feel superior studies art.