Is planned obsolescence real? Are these things designed to fail within two years so we have to buy the new one?

Is planned obsolescence real? Are these things designed to fail within two years so we have to buy the new one?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/light-bulb-conspiracy/&ved=0ahUKEwiWoKjL-NjXAhUJ4GMKHXQEBK0QFginATAP&usg=AOvVaw0GSDdXnMGtqi1Y_QXibCCS
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

do you expect them to support the device for the next 1000 years?

yes, that or they install bloatware into the software patches

No, but at least for a few. Then they make you sign an expensive data plan, and if you try to leave they slap you with fees.

if they dont support the device for the rest of eternity there is planned obsolescence

I still people rockin' the iPhone 4s. I don't think it's true.

My Powermac 6500 still works great.

no fuckface
there's a difference between not supporting a device after a given time (passive)
and programming for it to be misbehaving at best, failing at worst (active)
why searches for underperforming devices soar when a new one is about to be released? why mobile OS updates completely fuck performance?
server OS updates go the complete opposite way
so, no, you smartass, you're not supposed to support forever, but fuck you and your shilling

I had one of those, but iOS 7 killed it. Literally made me get a new phone. Don't think it was over 2 years old

>there's a difference between not supporting a device after a given time (passive)
literal description of planned obsolescence

I've had mine for 5 years, so no

You idiots mistreat your phones

Don't forget, back during the early days of the iPod Apple caught a lot of shit when people found out that the battery wasn't good for more than about a year and a half, couldn't be replaced by the user, and Apple charged so much to do a replacement it was cheaper to buy a new iPod. Never give Apple a dime.

They are if you update them continually. I updated my 6 to the newest OS just so I could use the new screen recording feature for an explainer video I was making for a client and now the damn thing barely functions

>Messages crashes
>Photo mode crashes
>Screenshots take an extra 3 seconds to screenshot
>The Wifi / Bluetooth options can be turned on from quickstart BUT NOT TURNED OFF

> hurr durr I'm the contrarian
planning implies intent
you must be a gook or chink not to understand this

very real, afaict. have chosen not to update beyond iOS 9.x on my iPhone 6S, ElCapitan on my 2015 MBP

I've noticed that computers get slower as they get older, even if the software doesn't change. I bought a macbook back in 2008 and used it for a job I was doing. When I left the job, I put it away. All jobs I've had since have provided me with a free computer, so I didn't need it.

That macbook was responsive, quick, and just a generally nice little machine. I booted it up recently to grab some old photos off of it, and I couldn't believe how slow it was. There was no way it was that slow the last time I used it 6 years ago. I opened firefox just to see. It was the same version of firefox I was using back when I used the computer. It hadn't updated. Nothing had changed, yet it loaded everything so slowly. Videos I loaded using VLC, coming right off the hard drive, wouldn't play without intermittent choppiness. Absolutely nothing worked as fast as it ought to.

This is true for windows machines too. Without updating any software, and doing a completely fresh, clean install of windows, I've seen older computers take nearly 30 seconds just to load up control panel. And these are computers that seemed insanely fast when I first got them.

I don't know how it's done. These things are 95% solid state, and have no parts that can wear out. I do know that modern software is inanely bloated, but if you don't have new software on the machine, that can't be the reason.

Yes, so don't buy them.

>planning implies intent
and you think they plan to support these devices forever?

This. You can routinely defrag the hard drive, delete temp files, uninstall useless programs, etc., but they always slow down at some point.

>buying iphone

classic PEBKAC error

You gotta reinstall your OS every 1-2 years.

I had an Android phone when they sort of first came out and it was real buggy, it seemed like I always was restarting it. I got an iphone and now it has to remind me hourly to log in with my apple ID. Are androids still shit???? And yes Iphones are set to fail and that is shortly after itunes says "no device connected, can't read device"

phones are a throw away product, from the type of nieche they fill very similar to one-time cameras

there is a focus on the appliances being
-light
-as much technology in small space
-as cheap as possible

If they were able to make phones on a biological tape, they would probably do it.

He's got you burgerbro

My s7 edge is great.

most normies buy a new phone every year so theres no point making phones that last

yup

and as others have pointed out, the technology improves so fast that it would be lost resources to make the phone durable

androids have improved tremendously software side

not only is it real, butcthe most advanced phone, laptop, graphics card, processor etc in 2017 won't even be released on the market until like 2025.

They know how to develop these technologies, they know how to release them, sure there are some factors like production costs and other shit, but the phone you're buying for $1000 is an antique.

factories are being built at this very second to produce the already conceptualized components for phones in 2020 and beyond.

There is a thing called chip creep. Chips on a board expand with heat and contract when cool. This causes connections on the board to contact less surface area thus transmit data slower. Same goes for capacitors and resistors.

it took ((google)) long enough but in the end it was the right choice to favor overall technoligical progress over tweaks (iOS)

I have a Galaxy s8 and it's great. Basically a iPhone x a year early and 300 bucks less

Yes. How is this not common knowledge? Lithium ion batteries have a lifespan of about 1.5 years when fully cycled daily (drained to almost dead before recharge). You used to be able to replace the batteries, but then people weren't buying new phones

It's like patches for games.

the base game is the most efficent masterpiece, if it isn't then nobody is going to fucking buy it.

but like, two years down the line they start to stop caring as much and release hack job shit.

go and download the original WoW client for 1.12.1 vs the current WoW client, they're visually identical and yet one runs 10,000 times worse and takes up almost 10x as gb to download.

Microsoft does this same shit, pro tip, never turn on windows automatic updates.

"security updates are important user!"

i've been using windows 7 since it came out, routinely reinstalling it every few months, it isn't slow.

most people that thought windows 10 was faster probably had a really slow mistreated system in the first place, from my tests windows 10 was visually slower and heavier on resources for features that were ultimately pointless, like cortana, who the fuck needs or wants that?

you use windows 7 pro black edition from TPB?

I have an iPhone 6s and it was fast when new and I had no issues with ios10. When ios11 came out my phone auto upgraded to it. I've had constant problems with it now. Crashes every app that isn't safari or music app. Have to reset the phone multiple times a day and have wiped the device and even updated to latest 11.2 because it was unusable on iOS 11.0. I didn't believe apple updates mess with your phone before but I kinda do now. I was gonna keep the 6s until it died because. Didn't want to pay a laptop price for a phone anymore but now I may upgrade...

The thing I liked about my old Android phone was you could replace the battery. Right now if my iphone gets below 30 degrees or so it dies. I'm not a brand whore but my iphone is pretty reliable but everything else sort of sucks on the putting and taking things off the phone.

>Claims everything we know about tech is a lie
>No sources
Mfw

Jailbreak your phone and go back to some old version, if it's faster you know what caused it.

Have anyone done this by the way?

no.

I actually use a window 6.1 build, basically 7 beta. it's great. it's much faster than the release build of windows 7 for some reason.

but yeah, point of my post is, after downloading 7 years worth of patches automatically, of course your PC is going to run like shit. even service packs don't always include beneficial features.

you can also turn parts of windows 7 off too, there is a program that can literally disable modules for you for the most efficent experience possible.

>have to buy
Yes, because if you don’t you’ll be arrested. Faggot.

The light bulb conspiracy
google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/light-bulb-conspiracy/&ved=0ahUKEwiWoKjL-NjXAhUJ4GMKHXQEBK0QFginATAP&usg=AOvVaw0GSDdXnMGtqi1Y_QXibCCS

It's common sense. sure all over china you have factories ready to print new processor wafers or whatever, you can even get custom electronics printed in less than a few days.

but really, the parts for the newest phones and apple grade hardware are being produced in state of the art factories constructed for that purpose years and years prior.

when a phone is sold, that phone hasn't even interacted with a developer in years, it's likely been in production for around a year, and before that, the factories were being repurposed or constructed (months-years) and before then the conceptual states and engineering was going on, prototypes being made (years and years ago)

Moore's law.

factory workers should be kept on a short leash and spend all their money as soon as they get it

well if you don't consumerism and capitalism fails, your move.

>Jailbreak your phone
The guy who did Cydia said jailbreaking is not a good idea anymore.

there are capacitors and other fluid things in the computer
if they dry up it's fucked

4S is fine just lacks enough memory for multi tasking or multiple tabs

Replace your hard drive with a solid state. I've never seen a slowed computer that this did not fix. I've done it for multiple non-technically minded family and friends.

nowadays you don't need planned obsolescence
just introduce new shit every year and goyim will buy it

I use my devices for years. I've never noticed a problem. I don't use gay Applshit though.

I have an old iphone 4s that is still fully functional, just never updated it past ios 5 or 6 (jailbroken too). I use it as a music player.

Reminder to buy and praise chinkphones

Not even a question. Making things that last forever isn't economic.

Shits been going on since the car and appliance industries, why do you think it does not apply here? Although it is less with tech, since it is just more marketing now, than O&M. I still use a smart-phone that was discarded by a roommate three years ago, works just fine.

Maybe you thought when you bought into an Apple device, you were edgy, when you have just been an old school fool.

y?

Cant say the same for my

The concept goes back to at least when light bulbs were new. There's no reason a company wouldn't so it if they could, and it's easy to hide in modern tech.

yeah i think theyre supposed to last 2-3 years. Had my 5c for 4 years now though so i beat them i guess.

I can confirm this is 100% real. Without fail around the new iPhone release, people will come in with issues concerning updating the iPhone from two years previously. From touch disease, it locking out phones entirely with a password that was never put onto it, to apps just not working. If you buy iPhones, I suggest not updating them after about a year into it's life. Especially if it's a major update and your phone is on the tail end of phones supported.

>planning implies intent
No, you fucking dumbass. Wearing shorts all year round won't stop you freezing to death in winter, carrying an umbrella doesn't magically summon rainclouds.

The machine didn't change while it was sitting in a drawer. You got used to modern computers that have solid state drives and when you go back to a mechanical drive it feels like it's broken. Upgrade that thing to an SSD and you'll probably get a couple more years out of it.

fpbp

It doesn't matter anymore now that people replace shit out of habit. I like it.

Reading comprehension nigger.

And there you go, hasn't that just been the neo battle? Doers versus tribal; with economics being the battle field. Doers have been losing to tribal for a long time now.

Only morons claim this shit. They fill their computers with malware and then blame Microsoft. I only boot windows when I want to play games myself, but for over a decade I've managed large numbers of windows machines and this shit just isn't true unless you're gimping in the machines yourself because you don't know what the fuck you're doing.

This is exactly what I was saying, my iPhone 6s only had the battery dying quickly issue which was a factory warranty issue. I had them replace the battery and phone was fast and had no issues for almost 2 years. 1 day into updating iOS 11 (which installed on its own without my input)and I've had issues with it for 1 month now everyday some random bug that makes the phone seem defective. (Can't really jailbreak or downgrade the iOS now) like the sound for example, the alarm clock randomly works some days and others it doesn't. Sometimes the sound buttons work to turn up the volume and sometimes they don't. Not once this happened with iOS 10.

Or just don't fuck it up in the first place.

lol my fucking samsung s4 is still better than the new iShit

got a S8 recently, best fucking phone on the market.

Love my S8+

How? Are you supposed to update the FW or lose access to apps? How long should products last anyways? Do you want consoles to last a decades?

>Not using an old Android phone with 512mb of RAM and a custom Gingerbread ROM with CPU overclock support.
It's even faster than it was new, and I can get fuckhuge batteries that last 3 days.

yeah if you like bloatware, bixby, and knox.

display alone makes the phone worth it

not to mention the hardware and camera and expandable memory

it's minimal, my phone never chugs or goes slow even with like 10 apps in the background

yes, capitalism is degenerate.

>updating apple products
to what end?

Expandable storage, not memory

my girlfriend has it. and that display is fucking beautiful. I prefer my pixel though.

wow goys! thx 4 the recommendation! I'll have 2 check out that new Samsung SmartPhone™

yeah my bad

idk why more phones dont include SD slots, it seems like something any handset can accomodate

s6 didnt have it but they put it back

also headphone jack which I use

They do it so you buy the more expensive models with more built in storage.

Don't, faggots should only get iPhones

The natural and steady progression of technology is improbable. The "elites" already have top-tier technology given to them by demons.

Silly meat-puppets and soy-boys, still debating your fathers defeats, the program has won.

Not for Apple, they support phones with updates going very far back. With Android, yes it's planned obsolescence. Android phones become unusable within 1-2 years.

Fug glad I havent upgraded yet

>teleports behind you
>All technology has planned obsolescence as nature intends to get rid of it as its a threat
>now stop contributing to the desertification of earth and learn perma culture and connect with your pagan roots

Sorry been watching a lot of varg past hour or so.

>implying everything else progresses
It doesn't. Everything's been the same for the last decade. Things just get slightly faster and more power-efficient. Progress is mostly an illusion caused by apple coming out with the same phone every couple years, and millenials wanting to believe they're philosophies are right because they're inherently superior to their ancestors.

their*

Product designer here.

Yes.

Kinda. I still use an iPhone 4, there are some apps I can't download and that's it but I can access them on bluestacks on my pc

no because it still does everything it did when you bought it.

>mfw running LineageOS 14.1 + microG on a 4 year old phone
What "android"? I'll let you know that each and every manufacturer has the right to customize the underlying software and add stuff on top of it. If you've had a bad time with a samsung phone it doesn't mean you'll necessarily have a bad time with a Nexus, or a Sony.

The Silicon losses it doping and doens't produce the correct output 99% of the time anymore. Basically the delay is the error correction done on a leaky transistor gate that works 50% of the time.

I do.
Back in the days when you bought a Toyota it had guarantee for life because the japs took pride in doing a good product. Nowadays we buy horseshit that lasts for a few months and need to go back and waste more money in replacing a product that should have lasted longer, contributing to more pollution and use of valuable resources

Still have an iPhone 5c, never update it so it works fine.