Net neutrality

So lets look at what most of the arguments against net neutrality are
>I want a more free market and removing regulations will increase competition
This would be true, but ISPs are a natural monopoly because of land and cable, there just isn't competition that can happen in most areas.
>We didnt have it for a long time, we didnt need it
This isnt a real argument against it, it says nothing bad about NN
>Daily stormer was shut down even with NN
And without NN, there's just going to be more shut down, also anyone who had more than 50 IQ knows that daily stormer was a honeypot site
>Too much power to the goverment
Regulations on companies =/= stronger gov in all situations, this is one.
>Reddit doesn't like it
You're actually autistic and should kill yourself if this is your argument, at least the others had some merit to them

After writing this all out, I remembered that a thread with a thread that isn't baiting with things kike nigger jew or all caps is going to get no replies because of the new wave of idiots, but hopefully this will get a couple.

>Inb4 reddit spacing
its called formatting for easier reading idiot

Other urls found in this thread:

marketwatch.com/story/10-things-cable-companies-wont-tell-you-1354552919366
youtu.be/wQtiIazfoQM
mises.org/library/myth-natural-monopoly
consumerist.com/2016/09/20/comcast-att-try-again-to-stall-google-fiber-in-nashville-by-writing-law-to-slow-it-down/
techdirt.com/articles/20160226/05123233718/att-sues-to-keep-google-fiber-competition-out-louisville.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>natural monopoly
No such thing, sweetie.

You want more competition? You want the government to take action? Get the government to remove regulations on establishing telecommunication networks, and you won't need to discuss net neutrality.

>no such thing
While removing some non-NN regulation could help, there is no competition because you can't go around digging up ground and laying cable wherever you want

>you can't go around digging up ground and laying cable wherever you want
That is precisely the regulation I'm taking about. You should be able to lay cable wherever property owners agree for you to lay it. You can also set up towers, place antennas on buildings, etc.

I'll lay cable in your mouth, you fecal loving faggot.

Guess I wasn't clear about exactly what was stopping you from laying cable.
Most property owners won't let you dig up their property in order to lay cable or put antennas and whatnot.
I think we are both on the same page though that removing NN is not the regulation that should be removed, yes?

I know you want your (you)s, take this and leave the thread you underage kid who didn't get any love or attention from his parents

I’m a Verizon ex. It will make me richer. Just do it.

I live in a town of less than 5000 people in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in Montana, and there are at least 6 ISPs to choose from here
You just can't convince me I somehow have more choice in ISPs than any major, or even minor, city

>no natural monopoly

Yeah I guess there aren’t finite resources on this planet.

Ancaps are a fucking joke.

Oh no that's the best part. They count any ISP that isn't cable as an ISP.

They don't count any ISP that isn't cable as an ISP.

marketwatch.com/story/10-things-cable-companies-wont-tell-you-1354552919366

Myopic - : a lack of foresight or discernment : a narrow view of something

I only have the patience to read through 4 paragraphs before I have to ask what the fuck this has to do with the point I'm making

I live in a major metropolitan area, and there is only 1 ISP to choose from here
You just can't convince me I somehow have less choice in ISPs than a town of less than 5000 in Montana

>reddit spacing
But you didnt do that. Why even bring that up?
Also reddit doesnt "not like" NN, they support it.
That's not why you should be concerned though. You might want to look at the social media and content giants that support it instead.

Name all 6 you lying faggot. I have lived in 12 different states, most of the time in large metro areas. Never more than 3 ISPs with high speed internet.

>Cant read more than 4 paragraphs before he bitches out
>Thinks highly enough of his intellectual capacity and opinion to attempt share it with others.

In the 5th paragraph your anecdotal claim is btfo
>After the enactment of Telecommunications Act of 1996, which was intended to increase competition among telephone and cable companies, some experts expected relief for customers seeking better service and lower prices. But 15 years later, a 2011 survey by the Federal Communications Commission showed that 61.5% of customers still only had one main choice of cable provider.

I see why you gave up at paragraph 4 lol.

Does one entity own all of one class of resource on the planet? Because that is the definition of a natural monopoly.

Does McDonald's have a natural monopoly on fast food simply because it is the only burger joint on that particular block? No. Just because there is one provider of a good in a particular area, doesn't mean it is a monopoly. The monopolist must control production in the entire economy, not just in an arbitrarily large area.

Reddit spacing is just a straw man argument people on here use to discredit other posters without having to address their arguments. There isn't an ironclad definition of it that I have seen, and I have seen anyone using any kind of formatting get called out for reddit spacing or having their IP magically traced to indicate that it's their first post of whatever the second they go against kekistani double plus goodthink on this board, so you might as well try to throw that disclaimer in if you are starting a thread that remotely questions the president's administration. Not sure if that is really what OP was thinking mind you but that is my take on it.

Internet access is a utility. Burgers are not.

youtu.be/wQtiIazfoQM

They're both economic goods, and economic laws and definitions apply to them equally.

Natural monopoly... That's like if my body cured HIV on it's own, right? Like, doctor's would want to harvest my white blood cells and figure out how I do it? But then, I would drink gasoline and dump 20 gallons of the shit on my head andight myself ablaze, just to spite faggots and niggers. Is that right?

Do you even think about what you type before you type it? First you say:

natural monopoly
>No such thing, sweetie.

then you say:

>Does one entity own all of one class of resource on the planet? Because that is the definition of a natural monopoly.

How can you contradict yourself and be wrong BOTH times lol?

Generally, monopolies are characterized by high initial investment costs and high fix costs. A natural monopoly has a different connotation in contrast to the prevailing understanding of a monopoly. The term “natural monopoly” simply refers to the cost structure of a firm whereas the term monopoly is associated with market power and market share in particular. Within a natural monopoly situation, it is not necessarily the case that only one firm is providing a particular kind of good or service. It is rather the assertion about an industry, that the provision of a public good by multiple firms is inefficient. These cost structures arise in particular within network facilities which are not replicable. As a consequence thereof, natural monopolies can be observed in every modern economy.

The definition literally describes American ISPs

Don't like NN? Cool. Think Trump is playing 4d chess and is letting ISP's power grab so he has the ability to crack down on them? Neato. But you don't need to lie or move your goal posts to achieve your goal dude. Unless you literally have never taken even an entry level econ class, then maybe you might just want to stop talking about market forces and natural monopolies.

Rekt

>believes that ISPs have a natural monopoly
>accepts that this monopoly exists in large part due to government regulations which block fair competition
>a simple solution is proposed

>"lol what a fucking joke i love having the slowest internet in the first world! you morons will never understand why we need to ask the state's permission to conduct simple business. only google should be allowed to install new fiber networks because they're the only company i trust to not abuse the state-granted privilege"

Sad!

>natural monopoly
Is a nonsense idea as defined by your typical econ textbook. Allow my man Rothbard to illustrate:

mises.org/library/myth-natural-monopoly

OP is not a faggot

It is baffling to me how many here on pol support the end of net neturality just because Trump appointed the ATT muslim shill Ajit Pai.

>61.5% of customers still only had one main choice of cable provider.
>still only had one main choice of cable provider.
>main choice of cable provider
>cable provider

And we all know that the internet can only be accessed via cable, yes? Well done user, your 6 year old study sure showed him.

>You also forgot
Google, Youtube, Twitter, Soros and all the general anti free speech platform creepy crawly faggots want NN... something probably to that. I reject it soley on those grounds.

kys faggot

See? How hard was it to google about the topic at hand and read a little before you spew your unfounded opinion.

> Allow my man Rothbard to illustrate

I was assuming Rothbard was the author of the article, but it was the guys who's 1 sentence was quoted and fucking facepalmed at the idea that you google some hugbox tier keywords and didn't even take the time to read the entirety of the results. I take back my complement earlier. I seriously doubt you read past the first line.

Most of what DiLorenzo (yes, I read the whole thing, you might want to too) argues is correct, but none of it is what you are trying to argue. Here is where I disagree with him and quite possibly you too ('cause of the flag)

>The word "process" is important here. If competition is viewed as a dynamic, rivalrous process of entrepreneurship, then the fact that a single producer happens to have the lowest costs at any one point in time is of little or no consequence. The enduring forces of competition — including potential competition — will render free-market monopoly an impossibility.

He seems to think we have a free market. He seems to think if the government didn't regulate that ONLY market forces would affect the economy. It isn't just the government preventing a "free market", do ancaps honestly believe our economy exists in a vacuum? If we did, repealing NN would be great. We don't so it isn't.

>And we all know that the internet can only be accessed via cable, yes?

Quit being obtuse faggot. Telecom and cable companies have been merging as hard as they fucking can. In 2017 alone:

>Telecom service provider GTT Communications announced in June plans to buy network connectivity provider Global Capacity for $100 million in cash and 1.85 million shares of GTT common stock.
>In April, Windstream announced its plan to acquire cloud-based unified communications provider Broadview Networks in an all-cash transaction worth $228 million.
>After a year of regulatory scrutiny, Verizon finally closed its deal with XO Communications in February, buying the provider for $1.8 billion.
>The battle over Straight Path Communications ended in May when Verizon nearly doubled AT&T's offer, putting $3.1 billion on the table for its valuable -- and hard to come by -- wireless spectrum.
>Wireless provider T-Mobile walked away as the big winner of the U.S. government's $19.8 billion wireless spectrum auction that ended in April.
>CenturyLink first announced its intent to acquire fellow telecom provider level 3 in a cash and stock deal worth $34 billion in Oct. 2016. This year, Monroe, La.-based CenturyLink has been preparing for the mega-merger by reshuffling its leadership team and gaining the appropriate regulatory approvals. The two companies have both said that the deal would close by Sept. 30, 2017.
>AT&T in Oct. 2016 proposed a monster $85.4 billion acquisition of entertainment giant Time Warner Inc. that caused the industry to question whether the deal would harm competition for consumers. Since January however, the regulatory climate has shifted under the FCC under Republican chairmen Ajit Pai, making telecom consolidation more of a possibility.

Well would you fucking look at that; I would tell you to eat shit, but your mouth is probably already full with pajeet's shit covered cock.

>economic laws
>apply to all goods and services in the same ways
You could have just said "I'm a moron." It would have taken less words.

>Get the government to remove regulations on establishing telecommunication networks, and you won't need to discuss net neutrality.
Big corporations lobby for regulation to keep their monopoly status. I don't think you understand how big business works. They like regulation.

Comcast, AT&T Try Again To Stall Google Fiber In Nashville By Writing Law To Slow It Down
consumerist.com/2016/09/20/comcast-att-try-again-to-stall-google-fiber-in-nashville-by-writing-law-to-slow-it-down/

AT&T Sues To Keep Google Fiber Competition Out Of Louisville
techdirt.com/articles/20160226/05123233718/att-sues-to-keep-google-fiber-competition-out-louisville.shtml