Who is the edgiest anime character?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NkSluE0QGo4
youtube.com/watch?v=iswHaon0xEw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i don't think anyone can't top this

Agreed, Sasuke at his peak edge is on a league of his own.

Jan Valentine

hellsing characters arent even peak edge, they enjoy themselves too much for that

Depends, which do you consider edgier, the ones that are emo all the time or the fuckers that kill just for fun?

Not counting Sasuke?

Lelouch, when he realises he's not dead.

Kaneki

Not even aku can live up to the standards set by Sasuke Uchiha. His edge was unreal it carried over for hundreds of episodes, a time skip, and hundreds more episodes. You can't beat that.

Hellsing is not edgy

Edgy is when you want to be dark or controversial and fail in the attempt. Hellsing was legitemately dark and gruesome (at least when it came out).

>bitches don't know about muh Nataru

youtube.com/watch?v=NkSluE0QGo4

i agree with your sentiment, but id argue that hellsing is too cheesy to be edgy- everyone always looks like they are enjoying themselves and having a great time- and even the nazis dont take themselves too seriously

youtube.com/watch?v=iswHaon0xEw

Is Violence Jack edgy?

Seryu Ubiquitous

completely justified in all he did. Terrorists had it coming

there's terrorists in hellsing? when

You could call Jan Valentine an terrorist

Far too idealistic.

too chuuni

>speaks the truth
>Sasuke was supposed to be in the wrong here

a-waa-waa-ahh--cmonnn-GET DOWN WIT THE SICKNESS CMON GIT DOWN WITH THE SIKKKKKNESSSS

Johnny is literally powered by his edginess

>wears black
>is too edgy even for spacemafia standards
>has a cranecrow on his shoulder
>wields a fucking sword in the age of spacetravel

I'm just gonna say it. I don't understand what edgy is, it's so confusing.
I know Dante and Sasuke are the kings of edgyness but they're not very similar.
So anyone can explain me?

Literally fuck off that's not even true

I can best explain it by example. Take the movie The Crow. You have all the trappings of a massive edgefag:
>he is dark
>he is brooding
>he is out for revenge
>he doesn't care about living or dying in his undead status
>he wears black metal makeup but has KISS sensibilities
>he quotes Poe
>something something crows

Other clear examples are Heat Legend's Joker or most Bond villains. It means someone is trying to act cool and brooding and mysterious only to come off as a sperging autist wielding a katana while in high school.

>got the black d as a child
>a literal cuckold
fuck off, guts is /ourguy/

What if they save kids and like animals but also like killing bad guys? is that edgy?

It all has to do with how they go about it. You can classify Batman as edgy, but only slightly. Revy on the other hand is just hard as nails and comes from a real bad place. Vicious from Bebop has an edgy side to him, but Pierrot le Foux doesn't. An edgelord is a dude(gal) who acts like he doesn't care about anything and just needs to show off how uncaring and violent he/she can be. So, Batman is kind of edgy while Superman is not edgy at all. Get it?

Also, if he narrates shit he's usually edgy.

Search your feelings you KNOW it to be true.

Accelerator was pretty edgy until he ran into Last Order.

In other words.

Edginess comes from a desire to by acknowledged by your environment.

You can be a mass murdering torturer and kill for your own wants and desires, and you won't be edgy, because you do not care for people's judgment.

By that same logic, a hero that kills villains violently in order to "scare" evildoers is edgy too.

>Johnny
>Posts Gappy

>a hero that kills villains violently in order to "scare" evildoers is edgy too

If he only kills them as a scare tactic that's not edgy. I wouldn't call Genghis Khan edgy as much as I would ruthless. If he kills them, no rhyme or reason, and then he does something ''spectacular'' like crucify them upside down or some shit like that only to get acknowledgement, when just killing them would have done the trick, he's edgy. Again, The Crow is the definition of an edgelord.

Also, you can theoretically call serial killers edgy if they leave a mark on their victims, but they aren't: they're just really crazy people. And edgelord is by definition not crazy, just really tryhard amoral.

Adding to this.

As indicated here:
One way to remove the edginess of a character is to give them a person or multiple people to care for.

A good example of such character growth is Vegeta. I wouldn't call Vegeta edgy, but his behavior could be seen as edgy if you placed his behavior in another character in a different story. And while Vegeta's methods of combat haven't changed at all, the social, familial and romantic bonds he has grown with other characters in the stories have given those same brutal methods of combat a new perspective.

In the past, Vegeta killed enemies out of self-preservation. Nowadays, Vegeta kills enemies out of a desire to see to the safety of his family and his adopted new homeplanet.

Is it ok to assume that an edgy character is, by definition, bad written?

>I wouldn't call Genghis Khan edgy as much as I would ruthless.
Well, Genghis Khan was a statesman-warrior. His "murderous" tendencies came out of a desire to resolve political and societal issues on a grand scale in an easy and ironically humane way.

Murder an entire city, so that the next 10 cities will surrender without a single loss of life.

I understand your point, but I don't think it's really a good example.

And yes, the Crow is exactly an example of a good edgelord.

No. As long as the story acknowledges the edgy character being "immature" it's okay.

On top of that, edgy characters can provide with good character growth.
Example. Accelerator is such an interesting character because he starts out as a despicable edgy villain and transforms over time.

Yes, but only if he stays the same. The only case of a well written edgy character I know is Futurama's Bender and that's because it's a play on the trope.

I was trying to show you(him?) that just being over-the top murderous does not make you edgy in and of itself. Legitimate scare tactics are one thing. Doing something evil just for the hell of it and not out of sheer cruelty or hate is another. Edgelords are generally either overly theatrical or disinterested tryhards.

>also cucked by best friend
>hunts best friend to end of the universe

That being said, love that fucker.

He is edgier than that sword of his.

I don't think this guy necessarily fits the edgy category, but he was an evil motherfucker. Committed every crime imaginable just for the shekels.

>priest comes and tells you that you can always repent
>shoot him in the face just cuz

Any thoughts on this guy?

Something to add is a "fuck the system" attitude. Being a rebel isn't inherently edgy, but when you're flippant and or being aggressive because of a personal grudge rather than some more humane ideology, that's edgy.

Being affectionate and being edgy aren't mutually exclusive. Ryuko checks off several edgy traits, but it doesn't define her entire character; she desires and values companionship greatly.

Well you can't really compare a teen in highschool with a married father.

Vegeta and Ryuko both have their affections but they are on completely different levels, at least in my opinion.

"Edgy" is like an aesthetic. It's about putting off an image. It's not a fault in itself but it's basically an immature person's (like a teen's) idea of cool, deep and mature. The thing is Sasuke is the character gets so ridiculous and yet we're feel expected to take him seriously. He's like a real 'edgy' teen with the way he is portrayed, with the DARKNESS, hatred, betrayal, revenge and aloofness. These aren't necessarily bad but in his case, we can't buy it.

Characters can be 'edgy' at times but I wouldn't call them 'edgy' character for that (though they attract edgelords). Shishio follows a harsh philosophy. Light is a cruel, cold and calculating serial killer hidden in plain sight. Guts acts 'edgy' as a coping mechanism and the story makes this clear, even criticizing him for it.

Not just critizing him... punishing him. Haven't read Berserk in ages but I vaguely remember that Guts at the peak of his edginess scared the shit out of amnesiac Casca. Which in turn really really emotionally hurt him.

This is surprisingly accurate
Good to know there are still people on Sup Forums that don't just default to
>wearing red and black means a character is edgy

Shiro is literally made of edges.

ITT: people redefining 10 yo buzzwords

Part 1 Dio

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO.

nice trips.

KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>they get married later

Older than that. Ten years ago, we called Sasuke emo.

*CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

holy shit

The edge factor went back up when black angel wings started sprouting from his back.

>god who sould his soul to satan
>was going to cause a super hero genocide
>made a giant statue of himself made of corpses of fallen heroes
>final fight is on the statue's hearts
I don't know what happened in the 2011 revival but i'm sure he isn't taken lightly.
But He's still cool

I don't think anyone watching or reading this didn't want to see that useless bitch get fucking skewered, in one way or another.

If an edgy character makes you dislike them, and find them hard to watch, didn't they serve their purpose? The actual description of the word 'edgy' means something that is abnormal specifically in order to irritate people who, for lack of a better word, are normalfags. It's only badly done if the character doesn't make sense. You can call someone who is out for revenge 'edgy', but that doesn't make them a bad character. You might consider them illogical or unreasonable for going that far to take revenge on another person, but it's certainly not unbelievable or even unrealistic for a character to act that way. A bad 'edgy' character would be someone who is simply edgy because the writer wanted him to look cool, but he isn't actually cool or entertaining. Even an 'edgy' character made to look cool can be good if they're entertaining. You're not supposed to think every character in fiction is some kind of idealistic justice driven hero, in fiction and the real world some people just do shit that goes against the norm in an abrasive way simply to do those things, and not for some higher ideal.

I honestly find characters who have a retarded obsession with justice and ideals to be more annoying to watch. There's this idea that a character has to be doing things with goo intention to be a good character. A character isn't badly written just because they're doing bad things and they have no problem with that. I find this more interesting than antagonists who are trying to be heroes or save the world or something equally idealistic. It's like there's this idea on Sup Forums that even bad people have to want to be good deep down inside, that no such thing as genuinely bad people actually exist.

No, but Devilman is.

Name one other genuinely bad character in any anime that has had plot development.