Why was Suzaku such a controversial character? Even back then, it surprised me that the fanbase despised him so such

Why was Suzaku such a controversial character? Even back then, it surprised me that the fanbase despised him so such.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk
youtube.com/watch?v=SNIxIaNgKkU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he managed to be both lawful stupid and stupid good

His characterization was all over the place: i.e. he was poorly written, like a lot of things in Code Geass.

His was very idealistic and his ideals were retarded. This is a bad combination.

Because he's simply too unrelatable. He has ideals, the ideals themselves are good, but in order to follow his ideals he needs to follow orders from people that shit all over those very ideals.

He should have realized the contradiction since episode 1 when he decided not to obey the order to kill Lelouch and when consequently they issued the order to execute him as a traitor, but no, he completely ignored the fact and kept going his way with a series of convenient events (most of which caused by Lelouch) that saved him from either getting executed or executing orders that were against his ideals.

Then on season 2 he says "fuck it all" and becomes no better than Lelouch while still being his enemy. He helps Brittannia conquering Europe for the sake of becoming knight of one and free Japan. Because who the fuck cares if dozens of countries will face the same fate of Japan as long as he can free his own country?

I found R2 to be less compelling and concise of a story but it went full CURAHZY and THEATRICAL
I enjoy both seasons for differnet reasons

Same reason why people hated L in Death Note, his ideals went against those of the protagonist. It does not matter if either was right or wring people just liked Lelouch more and would defend him even if he killed children which ironically he fucking did. There's also a lot of cases of people not getting the character like these idiots . Despite the amount of layers the show has Sup Forums doesn't seem to understand a lick of any of the plot or characterization.

>wring
*wrong

>season 1
Well Suzaku isn't very bright. It was made clear that he was the straightforward kind of guy who doesn't think much. So it made sense to me that he was unable to see how the very institution he served to fulfil his ideals went against those same ideals.

>season 2
Here he stopped being naive and went full edge. At this point he no longer gave a shit about anything except his ideal. What's more he refused to see the other side purely because he didn't want to "become like Lelouch" which also meant the path and methods Lelouch decided on.

I mean I guess you can hate him for being a continuous bother to Lelouch but I never really got into that.
For me his actions I'm both seasons made sense given the context. Even as an dick in s2, I couldn't hate him because he had a legit reason to be that pissed.

Probably could have been done better. But he was alright, I agree with the other anons. CG never took itself exceedingly seriously to begin with. There's definitely a few more prominently bad aspects of the show.

>It does not matter if either was right or wring people just liked Lelouch more and would defend him even if he killed children which ironically he fucking did
This. Really Code Geass made a point of showcasing that both of them were shitty human beings and that both sides were shit hence why things only ever worked out for them when they finally worked together. But so many people here seem to miss that.

How dare you. Season 1 Suzaku was precious

Oh, don't get me wrong: I like both seasons for their own reasons, but that doesn't mean a lot of the overall narrative wasn't lost in the general mismanagement and overproduction of the show as a whole, making a lot of characters and plot points make very little sense in the end.

>I couldn't hate him because he had a legit reason to be that pissed.

Yeah, in usual we around here have boners for pissed-off paths of revenge, at least I know I do. Suzaku was totally justified in going full-no-forgiveness/I hate you/you're the Griffith to my Guts on Lelouch, especially from what he knew at the time. Lelouch murdered Euphie and caused the massacre of a bunch of Japanese.

Suzaku is a best desu.

He tried to change national policy by getting control over a colony. It's said several times in the series that the only person that can change the policy of discrimination against Numbers is the current emperor. Basically, he was retarded.

I found that both Lelouch and Suzaku's characterization was unscathed its everyone else who suffered (C.C. and Kallen especially). R2 was a goddamn mess especially towards the end but I feel that the core of the show was salvaged...somehow.

Yeah but he spins

>It's said several times in the series that the only person that can change the policy of discrimination against Numbers is the current emperor.
This is never stated and if any case it doesn't matter since R2 showed that Charles didn't give a shit about any of that.

>. It's said several times in the series that the only person that can change the policy of discrimination against Numbers is the current emperor.
Its stated that becoming a Knight of One would give you enough power to govern a country. Charles didn't give a shit about the policy so much but just needed the sakuradite so its not like he had any objections. The show pretty much makes clear that Japan got themselves into their own mess.

Spinzaku was literally the only thing anyone on Sup Forums liked about him.

His entire background was scrapped. A lot of people tend to forget the mystery that was hanging over his head for the entire first season and his purported connection to the Geass Cult that never went anywhere.

>His entire background was scrapped.
No it wasn't.
>. A lot of people tend to forget the mystery that was hanging over his head for the entire first season and his purported connection to the Geass Cult that never went anywhere.
That one scene with CC? Yeah that was just dropped. Didn't really have much of an impact obviously other than it would explain his superhuman feats

I don't remember this connection? I just forgot it, mind reminding me?

There was a reason why Suzaku reacted to Lelouch and CC all those times in S1 one big scene where CC confronts him about it in Stage 22 and it reacts again. It was suppose to explain his superhuman feats being related to Geass but it was scrapped so the only explanation for all of it is that he's just really strong apparently.

There were a bunch of things that they wanted to do in s2 that got scrapped because of the time slot change. No rolo. Suzuka fuckbuddies with cecile. The geass cult connections. Etc

While I would've loved to see how it was supposed to have gone, I enjoyed the whacky full asspull zigzag that is R2.

>. Suzuka fuckbuddies with cecile.
Wut? He just reminded her of her brother

>Same reason why people hated L in Death Note, his ideals went against those of the protagonist.
I found the pro-Light vs pro-L divide pretty even. Some fans remained anti-Light after his death but others rooted for Light. Those people liked or at least respected both characters. It helped that the series pushed their similarities even if they differed ideologically (L is pretty dark, made clear by ordinary Light being a huge moralfag).

The same kind of respect was not extended by fans to Suzaku.

He was effectively a German officer in WWII who knew about all the shit going on, but has this stupid idea of being able to change things for the better by working with the system.
AKA, he was a huge fag

Literally the worst part of the whole anime.

It was hinted at. And in the original vision of season 2 they were going to have them be fuckbuddies. But because the time slot change and executive meddling that was dropped. Among other things. Rolo subplot was created by the change as well.

Why didn't the Japs give the Britannians mining rights? Britannia's a massive superpower and Japan is just a single island.

Rommel was a fucking God. He was a patriot. Kys

>I found the pro-Light vs pro-L divide pretty even
Nope especially after he died. L had a legion because people liked his quirky personality not because he was morally right, the vast majority of DN fanbase were Lightfags who actually fell for his bullshit it got so bad that the author had to step out and say "hey I just wanted to make a cool story about a villain".

Because they never got the nuclear cock to teach them what defying the white man gets em

>Those people liked or at least respected both characters.
You were not here when DN was at the peak of its popularity. Lightfags hated Lfags and vice versa then along came the time jump where he was the only character to root for because nobody liked Near or Mello.

>The same kind of respect was not extended by fans to Suzaku.
Because the fandom didn't give a shit about who was right or who was wrong they just liked Lelouch more and would literally support any side he was on and turn on whoever was against him. That's how autistic they were and still are. Okouchi just managed to play everyone the fool by making him an amoral sociopath on top of it.

>Rommel was a fucking God.
Stop spewing memes user, you only show your ignorance.
Also, surprisingly, Rommel was rather ignorant about the crimes of the Reich for quite some time, at least from what we can gather from his letters and notes. So I wouldn't put him into that category.

Because the writers never bothered giving a shit about logic.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

>literally Tohdoh's theme

Sabaton made a song about not the Europe theater? Holy hit, amazing.

Was meant for.

That's how I remember it. Just one big "who do you want to win" thing. Obviously it's not the same in every circle. With CG, it was like Lelouch or bust.

>his ideals went against those of the protagonist

Nice made up rationalization. Even when Suzaku's and Lelouch's objective aligned, nothing really changed.

L never did anything that could be considered stupid, hypocritical and illogical, Suzaku did multiple times.

>Nice made up rationalization
Sup newshit

This. The guy was willing to die before achieving his ideals in order to cover up his guilt for killing his father.

Nothing about it was made it because its the fucking truth. People don't give two shits about who was right or wrong they just go to who's the most popular. It was the same shit with Kira vs Shinn debates for GSD.

Suzaku is a non-Britannian though. Non-Britannians are allowed to enter the system, if they're willing to swallow their pride. Britannia is ruthless as fuck to anyone who opposes it, which is why Suzaku chooses to try to change it from within rather than risk shitloads of people suffering and dying.

Let's face it, the real reason he kept trying so hard to fight within the system and fight against the rebels, even when it became so clear Japanese were subject to constant discrimination and weren't granted the basic human rights, was because in doing so he'd have to admit that killing his father was the wrong choice.

I had to deal with retards like you on a regular fucking basis back when DN and CG was airing so this is just bringing back memories of highschool waiting for subs to come out,

> Even when Suzaku's and Lelouch's objective aligned, nothing really changed.
Actually it did. People immediately started gravitating towards him and started hating the BK, the side Lelouch was on throughout the entire fucking show, that's how fickle this fandom is and you're retarded for even thinking that wasn't the case.

>L never did anything that could be considered stupid, hypocritical and illogical, Suzaku did multiple times.
Its fine that you don't like the character but don't try to justify your own stupidity as an argument. People did call out L for many things through DN some just as stupid as what you're doing because they didn't care about who the narrative favored they just didn't like anyone going against their self-insert.
And what does that have to do with anything?

> Britannia is ruthless as fuck to anyone who pisses them off

FTFY
And the problem is that many Britannians were pissed by Japanese simply because they existed.

> Suzaku did multiple times.

Such as?

>even when it became so clear Japanese were subject to constant discrimination and weren't granted the basic human rights,
I have to wonder if half of you retards have even watched the show? Japs were given basic human rights and a chance to be Honorary Britannias the show just takes the POV of the rebels who are causing all the disasters in the ghettos.
You do realize that Japan was forcing the hand of Britannia with their mines of Sakuradite and implying they were going to help Britannia's enemies right? They're not exactly the guilty party here but of course you didn't already know this.

/r/ing that Suzaku bulge pic

Stupid: Trying to change the system within a system that tried to kill him multiple times. You can't change a damn thing if you die.

Hypocritical: Hating Zero for killing people for the sake of a greater good. He killed his own father for the same reason.

You obviously can't make a point without calling people retard. That just shows who the retard truly is.

And what you say is completely wrong, but anyway, have fun, I'm out.

>NO U YOR WRUNG

Great argument.

Britannia is like the Roman Empire. Japan is Judea.

For the first one, he nearly succeeded by becoming Knight of One.

For the second, you skipped the whole murdering the girl he loves and apparently massacring tons of Elevens for little gain, while putting the fault on Euphie's shoulders.

Basically, watch the show.

He's just going to say that Suzaku wouldn't have gotten that far without Lelouch ya know

Fool. He hated zero long before the euphie incident. It was turned up to 11 for sure after that though. I enjoy suzaku as a character, but he is a hypocrite.

It's dumb because Lelouch's actions tended to have bad consequences for Suzaku. Example:

Lelouch kills Clovis
Suzaku gets blamed
Lelouch becomes Zero and takes responsibility through that persona.

And people get mad he declines Zero's offer. Yeah Britannia is rotten but it's not like Lelouch was doing him a favor.

He's a slut.

Did you watch the show?

It was the fucking elevens being all samurai warrior guys bucking the system being terrorists causing racial tensions. Which fueled the systemic hate, since people hate terrorists (and the group they hail from).

Japan wouldn't submit its mines in a power play with a giant empire and ended up getting fucked. They literally could have stopped the giant Brittanian cock from fucking them had they not been too fucking arrogant.

>L never did anything that could be considered stupid, hypocritical and illogical, Suzaku did multiple times.

But he's still alive at the end, while Lelouch died in the false and naive belief that his death would inspire world peace.

Do you think we'll still be having Lelouchfags vs Suzakufags arguments in another 10 years?

L was retarded because he instantly knew the right things to know. Not because he was smart and came to a logical conclusion, he just knew because lol super detective!!

When S4 the quest for even more money comes about yes.

I've hated the fag with the OP robot that can solo an entire opposing army ever since SEED. Will never understand why Japan has such a boner for the concept.

Because you know that deep down he's a good guy but he went against Ledouch.

>Rewatching R1 RIGHT NOW
>Just at a scene where Dumbzaku just gunned down some people on a bridge and then has the gall to admonish Zero with his UR METHODS ARE WRONG bullshit.
>Go on Sup Forums
>There is a Suzaku apologist thread on the front page.
If anything he is even more of an infuriating faggot than I remembered.

Because the Code Ment version of Suzaku is the fucking best.
youtube.com/watch?v=SNIxIaNgKkU

He spent 4/5ths of the show standing 100% behind his lawful good ideals and then turned on a dime with no dramatic pacing or payoff.

Either he should have stuck to his ideals (and thus opposed Lelouch) for the entire series, or his turn from lawful to chaotic should have been slow and gradually paced throughout the show as he came to realize his way would never work. Instead we got "lol nuked some nips and the emperor is crazy, guess I'll assassinate him because muh results"

i'm more about lelouch x suzaku

But Lelouch isn't dead

He killed second most attractive girl

>worthless knight

Sexy knight

Suzaku is a buttinski, massive hypocrite, and just the most basic of bitches in general. He spent 75% of his screen time killing his own country men while screaming about justice/Euphy/ some incoherent sperg shit, only to be like 'Fuck it, neither one of us aint shit.' and flip completely at tail end of the series. Like what the fuck was all that kickback for anyway?

Love him or hate him, CG would have been a much lesser show without Suzaku.

Because he acts so innocent and pure, but then he's ignorant to the effects of his own actions; his ideals are one sided (and his ignorance is deliberate because he thinks he can't stoop lower than killing his own father, so ANYTHING HE DOES IS AN IMPROVEMENT, RIGHT??)
Luuluu accepted the role as bad guy much better, so his punishment was 'death' instead of false existence

And it would have been fine without CC being a magical wizard nigger who stole all the pizza

>his ignorance is deliberate because he thinks he can't stoop lower than killing his own father

I tend to think he likes to stay within the system because the last time he played by his own rules he murdered his own father. So basically, he doesn't trust himself enough to do what he judges to be right outside of the system. Doesn't he say at one point something like "I trust systems more than people"? That's how I took that.

Actually the show would been much better off without Callen jobbing harder than Vegeta every time she fought Suzaku.

that still is a pretty shit justification, if he follows the structure to reach his ideals, but he cannot temporary leave the structure when it contradicts with his ideals
oh well, means to an end justifies everything amirite

He's a self righteous cunt with a deathwish.

>means to an end justifies everything

But that's the opposite of staying within a system.

>it's another "it's poorly written because I say so" episode
Seriously, why is CG so difficult to understand?

Pretty much. Nobody likes hypocrites and quislings.

Suzaku is an essential character for the show though. You love to hate this guy.

>Kallencuck
The show would have been better if Kallen fucked Gino just like she was supposed to do.

Poorly written isn't that hard to justify when Code Geass coming from the same mind who put together Guilty Crown, Valvrave and Kabaneri.

>The fanbase despised him

He was the most popular character after Lelouch.

And LelouchxSuzaku was the most popular pairing

and Beyblade eventually leaves the system, does he not?
Kallen probably fucked everyone, she's good at hiding her behavior, so maybe she fooled everyone into thinking she was still a virgin loser instead of a slutty loser

Nuking a city can really change your perspective on matters.

10 years later and we still get retards posting in these threads, I agree with how the fuck is it so hard?

Much like Shinji he's only "controversial" because a lot of idiots don't like him for inane reasons and that's pretty much it. He's not really despised given how popular he in show but you know...Americunts think their opinions matter even though they have the most difficult time understanding a character and his purpose in the story.

>Japan tries to resist Britain
>gets completely smashed and taken over

>A small group of Japanese terrorists want to resist Britain
Yeah no shit he sided with the peaceful 'change from within' option. The difference in power between the two countries was too large to expect to solve through resistance. The only reasonable way to secure the sovereignty of Japanese citizens was through compromise between the two nations
Don't forget, Gandhi was a British citizen and was educated at a British university before leading his own peaceful revolution.

Everyone hates him because he was a stupid piece of shit.

You dumb shit.

You know since the time slot change and executive meddling was brought up what if R3 Resurrection of Lelouch is the original vision of R2 animated?

Nobody really 'despised' Suzaku. You wanna see somebody the fanbase despises then look no further than this fucking faggot.

But he win a fucking delicious brown and become president of Japan at the end. He's my role model desu

Ohgi did nothing
NOTHING
wrong.