Reminder that he's one of the best anime directors working today alongside Shinchiro Watanabe

Reminder that he's one of the best anime directors working today alongside Shinchiro Watanabe.

Neither can't really surpass Yamada.

Imaishi was never a good director and Watanabe is past his prime.

I agree, genius animator though. And ZnT was trash.

Mizushima is best director.

Which Mizushima? There are two notable ones.

These.

>yamada
>the woman who directed k-on
Oh wow, you're retarded.

Imaishi hasn't been great since Gainax and I'm not sure Watanabe has earned the "best contemporary director" title either. My picks would be Yuasa, Hara, Katabuchi, Koike and Yamada. Oh, and Miyazaki of course, now that he's unretired.

And Tamako Market/Love Story and Koe no Katachi. She's more successful and critically acclaimed than Cookie cutter TriggerNigger director.

He's stupid but you're stupid too.

>Trigger
>cookie cutter
All Yamada has ever made was generic, bland, slice of life garbage. At least Imaishi's shows are interesting, you're just a loser who thinks cute characters = good shows

>Trigger
>not cookie cutter

Gainax did everything Trigger has done and better. I'm just glad their shit shows always flop.

You're not very good at shitposting.

You're not very good at shitposting.

>implying you've even seen koe no katachi

>all the weak baits on this thread

Back in my day we actually know how to shitpost.

As much as I admire his technical work, he is more of an entertainer than an artist. I feel like he cares a lot about impressing the audience, and much less about conveying any personal story he might have.

Must one convey personal stories in order to be an artist?

>Watanabe
He's a fraud, get over it.
>In before space dandy
He wasn't even the actual director (and it was crap anyway.

background: I've worked in animation for 2 years before becoming a NEET when my studio went under.

Yes, because if you don't put your love into something and make something only you can make, you can just as well replace the director with a conference table, which studios have a habit of doing. Before you know it, you have people from marketing, finance and social media doing the directing and the actual creative decisions, and "art" that can just as well be generated by a bot and given to artists to flesh out and define.

Do you think he doesn't put love into his works? Could you watch Gurren Lagann or Dead Leaves or his work on FLCL and say that anyone could have made it? Imaishi aside, what if a director creates a non-narrative work? I think necessitating a personal story is silly and limiting, there's so much more to art.

That's bullshit, but I believe it.
I, too, feel like his work lacks substance.
Its fun for the first time you see it, but on rewatch its a snoozefest. That's what happened when I rewatched TTGL. Even the most hype scenes were just small jumps above mediocrity in retrospect.

Well, after that I have to agree with you. I may personally dislike TTGL but I can't really say it's bad or made without love.

That's the problem, it's made to make (you) feel awesome but doesn't give you any new ideas to think about or things you can reflect on. And that's kind of lazy for a coming of age story. It's clear to see that for every episode, they just sat around the table and said: "Let's do this." "No, we do this now." "They know what to expect, but they won't expect us to use this!"
I have no idea if this comparison will translate well to English but bear with me. It's like going to Disneyland to ride whatever their space simulator is called, compared to studying hard in the hope of one day being able to fly.

The real challenge for Imaishi isn't the shows he directs, but the rest of Trigger's output. How well can he run this studio?

I'm really worried about LWA having 25 episodes

Its split cour though, isn't it?

I'm already expecting a Kill la Kill disaster and also retards defending the shit animation with muh style.

Imaishi's not in charge of LWA, though.

possibly not

No solid source has confirmed that.

>Hara, Katabuchi, Koike
Who?

I hope it is. If you look at Kiznaiver, Trigger is definitely capable of putting out good looking single cour works.
And given that Yoshinari admires Kyoani's work structure, I'm going to hold hope that LWA is mostly done by the time it airs anyway.

Well we know for sure they have the first three episodes in the can since they actually screened them the other day.

When they released the 2nd OVA not quite finished, I wasn't optimistic.

Keiichi Hara (Crayon Shin-chan, Miss Hokusai)
Sunao Katabuchi (Princess Arete, In This Corner of the World)
Takeshi Koike (Redline, Lupin III)

>Gurren Lagann has no substance
Are you telling me that Gurren Lagann is literally too deep for you?