So...

So, does he have a point about people paying more attention to media than the world around them or is he just a bitter old man?

Other urls found in this thread:

inverse.com/article/24819-intelligent-people-friendships-satisfaction-savanna-theory?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What does it matter?

He's a bitter old man

Yes, he does.

Media is a part of life and being hipster trash (or any other way you want to put it) about it will never cure idiocy.

what the fuck was i even trying to say holy shiit

Everything in moderation. People have a right towards enjoying media, but they shouldn't immerse themselves entirely into fiction - especially if it results in secluding themselves from the world. A balance between fiction and reality is key.

>they shouldn't immerse themselves entirely into fiction - especially if it results in secluding themselves from the world
Why?

Media is part of the world, so yeah, he's bitter and out of touch.

We need something like the naturalistic fallacy except realistic fallacy. Just because it's real doesn't make it necessarily better.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with using other media as a reference for works but I would definitely say that the anime industry could use some new ideas from the "real" world

However anime that does try to draw more from the creators experiences, as Miyazaki's works tend to, needs to execute those ideas in a proficient manner. Just because you aren't inbreeding media doesn't mean that you will create something that's "good"

Why did he get so butthurt at those innocent students?

It isn't quite so healthy, especially pertaining to one's mental and physical health. Keep yourself isolated for too long and fiction starts becoming your reality, or more-so, you start wishing fiction was your reality. Welcome to the NHK is a good example of this, you should watch/read it if you haven't already.

>It isn't quite so healthy
So what?

Fuck the real world, anime is meant to escape it

He literally got PTSD triggered

It's the definition of "back in my day things were better" when it's been the same all along.

ITT: people who completely missed Miyazaki's point

The real world's only good feature is that it spawned media.

Both of these things

I don't pay attention to the media at all, but I'm still a hikkikomori. Been for years. One has no relation to the other.
In fact, if you pay too much attention to your surroundings, you start noticing things like 80% of people are poor or in debt and 50% is insane. So how many hours per day do you want to live in that?

I just read this, and no I didn't do any research into it's claims and yes it does sound like pandering bullshit but it just might be true.

inverse.com/article/24819-intelligent-people-friendships-satisfaction-savanna-theory?

TL;DR is the more intelligent people are the less they need friends.

We have literally the exact opposite problem. People thinking their own personal feelings should affect the kind of art that is made is the issue.