Kimi no Na wa

Just watched this the other day. It was good for Shinkai's caliber and actually has satisfying ending.

Although I actually watched this just for the sake of its animation. is there anyone else who watched it for the same purpose too ?

Other urls found in this thread:

manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-makoto-shinkai-director-of-kimi-no-na-wa/
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2011-08-16/interview-makoto-shinkai
site.animeuknews.info/2016/11/09/an-interview-with-makoto-shinkai/
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/your-name-the-japanese-anime-about-body-swapping-teens
hollywoodreporter.com/news/makoto-shinkai-his-anime-hit-your-name-being-called-new-hayao-miyazaki-q-a-941646
mainichi.jp/english/articles/20161020/p2a/00m/0et/020000c
manga.tokyo/report/kimi-no-na-wa-korean-fans-gets-excited-by-the-official-screening-at-busan-international-film-festival/
manga.tokyo/report/kimi-no-na-wa-radwimps-appears-and-sings-at-a-smash-hit-thanksgiving-event/
manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-ryunosuke-kamiki/
manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-nobunaga-shimazaki-as-tsukasa-fujii-on-kimi-no-na-wa/
nerdreactor.com/2016/11/23/anime-character-designer-masayoshi-tanaka/
amazon.co.jp/dp/4041047803/?tag=jpboxsets-22
cdn.halcyonrealms.com/anime/name-makoto-shinkai-anime-visual-guide-book-review/
cgworld.jp/magazine/cgw218.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump.

Anyone ?

Is there any other reason to watch Shinkai Anime?

Actually not much. I watched it because Masayoshi Tanaka's design + Masashi Ando's supervision.

Even though Shinkai's been a long anime director and even participate in Ani*Kuri15, he never get this much helps from veteran animators like Okiura, Norio, Ghibli's top animators. It's all thanks to Tanaka and Ando who patched this up.

It reminded me of Only Yesterday which is one of my favourite films. It was the animation Shinkai really needed.

Would I enjoy this movie, if I am known for not caring about how pretty the visuals/animation is?

Im still waiting for a high quality version before I torrent

Shinkai is to Truffaut and Demy what Miyazaki is to Godard.

Miyazaki believes that his animation should be separate from mainstream anime whereas Shinkai embraces modern anime and uses it to elevate it to a higher level.

I think Your Name has potential to be more memorable than MIyazaki's recent films.

Shinkai sucks as a director. All he knows is how to produce pretty visuals, but pretty visuals =/= good movie.

I don't know how timeless it will be. Its certainly a film that captures current day Japan perfectly but we'll have to see how well it ages.

Yeah, I saw a bit of his storyboard from the visual guidebook review on internet. It's surprisingly good. Though he's more focused on what kind of shot that will looks good with digital photography and editing touch.

I kinda hoped that once he got more connection to veteran animators like this, he could step up his storyboard writing skills a bit. Kimi no na wa was good, but I think it could actually be much better if he draw the storyboard for specific scene and knows which animator should draw that particular scene.

I mean people like Kon and Hosoda really know the best way to bring out the animators potential to the max.

Yes, the story is actually good, even if you know the premise is kinda cheesy. I'm really surprised by how the story goes in the middle of film.

Although it kinda misses some details and how the climax (almost) went to typical Shinkai's ending too fast. Like, after the climax end, Shinkai's threw you his old tricks and it could no longer surprise you.

But I like the way the movie ends actually.

If this movie runs on your local cinema, just don't waste your time and watch it. Spending a few bucks to watch it in bigger screen is really worth it.

Yeah, but the way he handles storyboard is actually slightly above average tv anime director, I think. But this is kind of director that normal people like I think.

I doubt it will ages pretty well. It got really popular because he threw it at the right time and place. By the time passes, people will no longer remember this as one of that kind of story that moves their heart.

There' nothing wrong with that though.

Just saying my opinion.

>It got really popular because he threw it at the right time and place. By the time passes, people will no longer remember this as one of that kind of story that moves their heart.

I'm not the biggest fan of the film, primarily because the last part really dropped the ball. However, there is literally nothing that separates it from the likes of Sprited Away or Kiki in perceived timelessness.

Actually I want to highlight some moment in the movie that caught my interest. Sorry can't keep it spoiler free.

>The scene where Mitsuha and Yotsuha do the the Kuchikami Sake ritual.

That scene was really good. Thought it was Okiura's at first, but turns out not. Probably it used rotoscope technique a bit. The way the clothing moves is kinda bit unnatural for hand drawn.

>The scene where Taki went to mountain

Maybe I got it confused with later scenes, but I think the part where Taki took a rest and eat his onigiri is interesting high level realistic animation, maybe Okiura's pal.

>The scene where Taki arrive at Miyamizu Shrine

It really has strong vibes of 'realistic animation', the way Taki sits and then drink the Sake is good. But what makes me almost scream is the part after that. Start from the moment comet painting on the wall turns into animation. It's super good, like, really one long cut. Literally hold my breath and resisted to jump out from my seat. The way the animation flows is amazing, the effects too. I really want to know who did this, and I'm wondering if Naoki Kobayashi is the man who draw that scene.

cont.

> I doubt it will ages pretty well. It got really popular because he threw it at the right time and place. By the time passes, people will no longer remember this as one of that kind of story that moves their heart.

That's oddly fitting for a Shinkai film.

Please don't forget Kawamura Genki, the producer. He has a passion for Shinkai film and also helped Shinkai with the pacing of the story.

>150887422
>That scene was really good. Thought it was Okiura's at first, but turns out not. Probably it used rotoscope technique a bit. The way the clothing moves is kinda bit unnatural for hand drawn.

Shinkai said they had a kagura performer designed the dance. And built that scene using rotoscoping-like techniques (not actually draw the exact people on the video).

>actually has satisfying ending
pleb, I spent the whole last ten minutes thinking to myself 'END NOW, END NOW, END NOW, DON'T GO FOR THE EASY OPTION END FUCKING NOW!' I was very disappointed.

>And built that scene using rotoscoping-like techniques (not actually draw the exact people on the video).

So it was heavily based on a video reference?

It was okay still don't think I like it over Garden of Words or Voices of a Distant Star yet

I was fine with the ending this time given the other times Shinkai didn't have his leads get together in the end. But I think the buildup to their meeting could be better rather than having them doing their own thing for a period of time until some random encounter.

"They were searching for each other (subconsciously) for 8 years. So It would be OK for the miracle to happened."

Yes, that's why the cloths' weight were too natural in that scene.

Yeah, the garden of words was like the peak of his techniques for me.

>Katawaredoki scene

This is Norio Matsumoto's part. His scene stands out and really has good character acting and sense of realism, even though the number of drawing is limited. His scene starts from where Taki and Mitsuha hear each other's voice, then start to look up where it's come from, and finally their eyes meet each other. I think he draws until the middle of their conversation, after Taki tolds Mitsuha that he drinks her Sake which makes Mitsuha blushed, and then acting like she was mad at him (and then laughed). Really good character acting.

>Explosions at electrical substation

This is Takashi Hashimoto's part without a doubt.

>The scene where Mitsuha and Tesshi tried to warn people to evacuate

Once again, really good sense of realism. I think this is done by Okiura's pal. Namely Hideki Hamasu, Akira Honma,...I don't know who did this scene but it was really interesting.

>Mitsuha runs to warn her father

This is Okiura's part. His scene starts from where she run through the slope, and then into forest for a shortcut. The way Mitsuha run is really different from before, Okiura shows his high level of craftsmanship again. You could notice that how Mitsuha's arms move when she's running is a bit weird, but it's actually the interesting part. Okiura wants to show the audience how female run normally (not a good runner indeed). He also keep the speed so it really conveys that Mitsuha is at her limit and trying her best to keep running.

The part where she fell is good too. It's really touching how she stood up after she fell and finds out that Taki wrote "suki da" instead of his name.

Okiura's part continues until Mitsuha reaches her father's office. The way she walks is really interesting.

>The part where the comet hits Itomori City

It's Takashi Hashimoto again. He's really good at drawing effects animation so it's not really surprising that he's the one who responsible to handle all the explosions effects.

That's it I think.

>I really want to know who did this, and I'm wondering if Naoki Kobayashi is the man who draw that scene.
I don't see Kobayashi being the sort of animator to do something that stylized.

I don't hate the idea of them meeting, but I think that there were so many stronger potential end-points before the one they eventually landed on. I personally think that the idea of star-crossed lovers who got to know each other through bizarre Shinto body-swap nonsense and then lose each other forever would have been the most poignant way to take the story though. If they meet in the end the whole thing is degraded to a convoluted romantic comedy.

That's harsh actually, it feels earned since they worked for it but I think it could have been stronger. Or actually, I think it could never have been as strong as I wanted it to be. Clearly establishing that they were still drawn to each other and had a chance to meet would have been enough to end on a positive note without feeling cheap or contrived if you ask me.

I watched it for similar reasons, but I did leave thinking that I severely underestimated it.

Speaking of the animators' style, I noticed that the first part was more moe, or comical while the moeness dropped in the last part but showed more intense emotions. Is this heavily influenced by the animator?

It's probably my favourite since Voices of a Distant Star.

VoaDS had a pretty profound effect on me, even more so as I've gotten older.

>Katawaredoki scene
I absolutely adore this scene. Not in terms of animation, but characterisation and interaction. Just watching their reactions to appearing and the music that accompanies it is fantastic. It makes me well up every time (I'm not going to lie, it's becoming a bit of a problem). The way they acted and spoke to each other felt really natural.

It's probably one of my most favourite things about the movie in general. The characters feel far more realistic than in a lot of other anime, but aren't so realistic that the fantasy element is completely ruined.

The style where Mitsuha tied her kumihimo at KatawareDoki scene was quite recognizable. Who might be the animator for this scene?

Sorry for bad grammar. Not a native English speaker, and I wrote that in a hurry.

>Shinkai said they had a kagura performer designed the dance. And built that scene using rotoscoping-like techniques (not actually draw the exact people on the video).

Thanks for that info! is it from the making of video ? I remember saw that on youtube once (before got taken down).

Yes, Kawamura Genki really know how to produce a movie that will capture people's hearts. Like, it always turn out to be a mega hit.

Like what he did with Hosoda, and then Rie with Kekkai Sensen, literally the only anime from BONES that doing well on BD/DVD sales other than original FMA.

He also produced Nobuyuki Takeuchi's directorial debut movie too. That's exciting, I hope it will come to my country too.

If there's anything that bad from him, he's too good how to make money from movie! The movie he produced doing too well on cinema so they will keep it like that for months to bring more money. I just hope they will release the BD already, lol.

Yes I think. Masayoshi Tanaka's job is to make sure the character's face and expressions stay on model.

But he's not the only Animation Director in this movie. Masashi Ando is half the reason why this movie could have people like Okiura, and other veteran animators in it. I think they split the job to correct each animators drawing, but when it comes to Masashi Ando, he tends not to correct the drawing by people like Okiura. So the face in that scene is slightly different.

This is common practice in anime industry. When good people do good animation but a bit off model from original design, usually they keep it like that. Especially for people like Okiura who's also good at making character's expressions.

I also noticed that the character face a bit different in the scene where Mitsuha and Tesshi tried to warn people in shrine. Probably Tanaka only correct it a bit.

>I personally think that the idea of star-crossed lovers who got to know each other through bizarre Shinto body-swap nonsense and then lose each other forever would have been the most poignant way to take the story though.
It'd be the same boring shit he's done before. They're bound by the red string of fate, no way they weren't going to end up together.

If anything, the whole movie is about love defying fate and destiny. It was Mitsuha's fate to die. She was dead by the time Taki first got to know her. But their connection by the red string, plus Miyamizu magic bound them through time and space.

When your fated love is strong enough to change time itself, there's no way you're bound to drift apart. No way, no how. 5CM/s is a natural way for people to drift apart. Your Name is the super natural bringing two people together, to the point time was changed.

Sadly I'm not really sure about that. I really hope they will release genga collection book one day.

Shinkai teaming up with Masayoshi Tanaka was a good call following that CM the former directed before making Kimi no Na wa, but how did Ando manage to get on board this project?

Chief animater of Your Name is Miyzaki's top disciple.

I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I just think that they showed too much at the end. I think that everything you've written here was completely conveyed after they changed history. Actually showing time continue to pass and then showing them meeting was unnecessary in my opinion. I think that they were riding higher before that and should have quit while they were ahead.

God, I fucking love this so much.

That reaction. That dialogue. It warms me to my very core.

About the dance scene, it's not from the making videos but one of the interview (translated one).

As far as I remember, Shinkai said in some interview that one of his staff said like "You want Ando-'kun' for this work? I have his number. (Something like this, I don't remember it exactly). Shinkai said he was very surprised back then that that man casually person called Ando with 'kun'.

Hnnnnggggg

>Mitsuha with short hair
Why do the Japs like this form of "character development" so much?

>Actually showing time continue to pass and then showing them meeting was unnecessary in my opinion. I think that they were riding higher before that and should have quit while they were ahead.
A lot of people, here included, prefer something more tangible. I agree that it dragged on a little, but I'd have been flinging shit at the screen if they had not met or at least crossed eyes.

They could have shortened the bit with Okudera in the main. Same with crossing each other at night on the footbridge. I guess they wanted to resolve the stories of other people's characters, but they could just have shown a flash like they did for Yotsuha.

canadian release when? How do americans have this already?

It's quite a cliche with women's hair.
It's something equivalent to their life, feminine. Quite common in eastern culture.

>A lot of people, here included, prefer something more tangible
Complete opposite here. My favourite anime movie is Royal Space Force. Let the plebs tear their hair out for all I care, depth and inaccessibility make me feel like a big man.

Mentioning Royal Space Force has reminded me that it was once the most expensive animated movie ever made. What was the budget on this? Is good animation becoming cheaper?

It's the easiest and most visual way to show that somebody has changed. Hair is a big deal for humans and cutting it is one of the most drastic things you can do. Remember when Britney Spears, or Miley Cyrus (depending on your age) shaved their heads? It's shocking and it left people feeling "what the fuck just happened to them?". Haircut development is like that, but far less extreme.

I, at least like, how there's a reason for the hair cut in this, with giving her string to Taki on her trip to Tokyo, her unkempt hair would have been a bit of a pain to maintain.

Its dramatic and works well on film.

I also wonder if it had to do with Mitsuha wanting to get closer to Taki somehow. It was always the hair that was a give away because she'd always tied it in a braid. Cutting it meant there'd be no difference between them when if they switched bodies again.

I dunno though, I've only seen it once.

Quite funny how her long hair leaves the long lasting impression for Taki, greatly influenced his taste on women.

I loved how he commented on it looking better before.

Oh I was looking up for interview related to this movie, could you link up please ?

it's not up on Canada ? even South East Asia countries already had their shares (Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, soon Philippine too).

>It was always the hair that was a give away because she'd always tied it in a braid
Taki learned how to anyway.

The biggest give away was Taki (Mitsuha) not wearing the braid on his (her) wrist.

He's not wrong, she was super cute with the braid.

Same with the UK. It's surrprising because we never get anime on the big screen here.

I wonder if he'd tie her hair up for her after they got together. Too cute.

The Tohoku tsunami was only 5 years ago. There are numerous towns along the coast that were wiped off the map like Itomori, and some of them aren't being rebuilt because they were already in decline both economically and in population, even if they're outside the nuclear exclusion zone.

At the same time, Tokyo basically shrugged it off after Japan resolved its energy problems. Taki straight up forgetting that such a disaster happened isn't that far beyond the pale.

Taki just always goes ponytail.

Kimi no Na wa has only been shown in the U.S. on three occasions so far (AFAIK):

-World premiere at AX in July
-Hawaii International Film Festival on Nov. 13
-Oscars qualifying screening in L.A. last week

>I doubt it will ages pretty well. It got really popular because he threw it at the right time and place. By the time passes, people will no longer remember this as one of that kind of story that moves their heart.
Ditto.

It represents modern Japan amazingly well. But because it's so time specific, it won't age as well as something with outright fantasy, like Ghibli movies. You can watch things like Mononoke, Laputa, etc. regardless of age because there's no real world grounding in it.

Your Name captures a lot of what it is to live in modern Japan. Contrast between Taki and Mitsuha's lives. Mitsuha's big city dreams, how students in their respective schools acted and their interests.

I kinda wish there was more to show how the nation reacted to the meteor, first time around. Actually. At least, in a side story there wasn't enough time for that in a movie.

Oh, you're right. That's my mistake.

I think that the dragged-out ending montage deserved a more explicit closure - even something like a hug would have been really nice.

I don't think that a movie being a representation of its time makes it dated. For a borderline Sup Forums example I think that 'Love & Pop' has actually become more watchable since it came out. It's got an eerie time-capsule like quality to it.

Good point. Good film too. I hope so, anyway. I really enjoyed this film and I hope it's not just because of the context of how I am now and that I still enjoy it in years to come.

Interview with Shinkai
manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-makoto-shinkai-director-of-kimi-no-na-wa/
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2011-08-16/interview-makoto-shinkai
site.animeuknews.info/2016/11/09/an-interview-with-makoto-shinkai/
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/your-name-the-japanese-anime-about-body-swapping-teens
hollywoodreporter.com/news/makoto-shinkai-his-anime-hit-your-name-being-called-new-hayao-miyazaki-q-a-941646
mainichi.jp/english/articles/20161020/p2a/00m/0et/020000c

Screening at Korea
manga.tokyo/report/kimi-no-na-wa-korean-fans-gets-excited-by-the-official-screening-at-busan-international-film-festival/
Thanksgiving event
manga.tokyo/report/kimi-no-na-wa-radwimps-appears-and-sings-at-a-smash-hit-thanksgiving-event/
Taki's seiyuu
manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-ryunosuke-kamiki/
Tsukasa's seiyuu
manga.tokyo/report/interview-with-nobunaga-shimazaki-as-tsukasa-fujii-on-kimi-no-na-wa/
Character design
nerdreactor.com/2016/11/23/anime-character-designer-masayoshi-tanaka/

At least we saw their first (indirect) kiss in the movie.

Thanks!

I'm tempted to buy the visual guide book too because it contains interview with Shinkai, Tanaka, and Ando.

Well both Truffaut and Godard had the same Director of Photography.

Fitting actually.

Well, I bought it already but I can't translate those.

Link to a store that sells it?

Scarce consolation for how protracted it was.

Early Summer is another example of a Japanese film firmly set in its time that hasn't aged even though its firmly set in its time. It'll probably come down to how we remember this time in 30 years.

Ordered via Kinokuniya.

All that old man had to do is to adapt to change

I found you, Sayachi.

I want to fuck Mitsuha so bad. Long hair with ribbon version preferred.

Actually I'm torn between waiting the Blu-ray release or another art/animation compilation book.

amazon.co.jp/dp/4041047803/?tag=jpboxsets-22

Actually halcyon already reviewed it in his blog
cdn.halcyonrealms.com/anime/name-makoto-shinkai-anime-visual-guide-book-review/

I want to do so too, but then I feel intense pangs of guilt when I remember about Taki.

>tfw in one of the few South East Asian country that haven't got it

After many times of rewatch, the build up scenes start to shrine. The scene where Taki found goshintai then welled up, and also the scene where Mitsuha (Taki) ran crying after Mitsuha flashback can still shake my feeling.

It's actually a visual guide, wasting around 50 pages on retelling the story.

I couldn't even fapped for weeks, the emotion was too intense.

For hugs and falling asleep with in each others arms on the sofa, not for fugs.

Quite funny how it was sold as a bundle package of Shin-Godzilla, noone expected it to go this big.

>that expression of disbelief turning into a smile

Did Kimi No Na Wa actually have any CGI in it? I didn't really notice anything.

The ceremony for the sake felt kind of like CG, more specifically, the part where you see them spin. Same with the lighting in the scene where Mitsuha sees her dad just before the meteor strike, but I don't see why they'd use CG in such a simple scene.

>Same with the lighting in the scene where Mitsuha sees her dad just before the meteor strike
That's Hiroyuki Okiura's animation.

It wasn't CG, it was just rotoscoped.
Maybe they rotoscoped motioncaptured CG models or something I dunno, but it was definitely hand-animated.

Other than the train, vehicle, and some building I think the usage of CGI in this movie is low.

The kuchikamisake ritual looks a bit like CGI, but I still think that's actually rotoscope animation.

That's Okiura

sorry, meant for

>Sup Forums actually having a civil discussion about the movie and the amazing staff

You guys are alright sometimes.

Actually, the dance scene is rotoscoping-referenced hand drawn. They recorded the actual dance and use it as references.
If you're talking about 3DCG, it's everywhere in the movie. The cars, the building in OP.

It's funny that the trains made with CGI actually look like they could have been hand drawn because they blend in with the hand-drawn art style so well. I wonder if they did the CGI in-house or used another studio for it?

You're saying some of the buildings in Tokyo were CGI too? Damn I really didn't notice that.

From what I read in 'The art of Major Shinkai' book, they're mostly in house and they intendedly made those CG close to hand drawing as possible.

Here is the key frame from some rotoscoping-referenced scene.

I can't be fapping to moe anime girls all the time.

Ritual Mitsuha a cute.

cgworld.jp/magazine/cgw218.html
It was revealed in this magazine.

Shinkai has always been God tier at incorporating CG. Even in his earliest work.

They used Mari? I didn't realize Japan was so sophisticated now.

Interesting, why does Shinkai opt to reference CG models even in normal head-on character closeups? Is it supposed to be a substitute for hand-drawn layouts?

Her eyes are sharper than normal, that's why she looks more beautiful in Miko uniform.
I'm outside of the field, could you explain what's good with this program a little bit?
It's likely that they use it as a placeholder.

It's just a really high end 3d texture painting package and requires quite heavy duty hardware to run it. It was written in house for Avatar but now its a commercial product. Every big budget Holywood special effects film uses it.

I'm surprised because it seems way overkill for anime when there's other lighter packages available.

Well, maybe that's what happens when you work under the big giant like TOHO and also get a passionate producer.

So does anyone have some info on that sequence after Taki drinks the sake and starts dreaming(?). I thought it was incredibly well done and reminded me of the sprinting scene in Princess Kaguya.